2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think the campaign trial has been the highlight of his life, he absolutely loves it, so yeah, there’s a chance he’ll run again just to get more of that.
GOP and Democrats together need to prevent that happening.
They should encourage him to run as an independent and spit the Republican vote. Mind you, I doubt he'd have the fund-raising capabiiities for that.

NoLogo

There is one thing that really worries me about all this. If about 150M Americans voted and Biden won the popular vote by about 3M, that still leaves about 72M Americans who totally think voting a narcissistic sociopath into office is totally cool. :houllier:

Drifter

American
There is one thing that really worries me about all this. If about 150M Americans voted and Biden won the popular vote by about 3M, that still leaves about 72M Americans who totally think voting a narcissistic sociopath into office is totally cool. :houllier:
And there lies the problem for Biden.

hungrywing

Ah, I see what you're saying. I get that to a degree, but Biden seems very traditional to me too. He ticks all the same traditional boxes of married, white, Christian, male for starters. I appreciate he doesn't signal to the religious folks as often, but I can't see why he'd put off the religious folks? It wouldn't be hard to argue that Biden lives his life more in accordance with Christian values than Trump, and he speaks often about his Catholic roots. His upbringing too would be much more traditional than Trump's. And while there's issues that Trump is more aligned with them on, surely there's an equal number that Biden is more aligned with them than Trump on? Looking at how he lives and what he stands for, I struggle to see many areas where Trump is better placed on a values judgment.

Which sort of brings you back to xenophobia and abortion as the things that seem to override most parts of the argument about who would best protect traditional values.
Of course for many people most of the first paragraph will be true as well as I think a fairly large influence (and surely it was for a lot of Republicans who voted Biden.) But the point is that in many individual cases, that 'alignment' also isn't enough to 'tinct them blue' so to speak.

Where that particular aspect can't push them over that hump is when they consider the aggregate perceived sleights over those past decades; and from there any amount of 'any fool can tell Biden's more in line with us than that buffoon' gets subsumed under either 'but he's still going to enable the slow erosion of ________' or that aforementioned suppressed 'f*ck the libs they cannot be forgiven' that they can't help but feel, or a combination of both. Again, this is only regarding this particular element of 'perceived cultural wounding', and from there this element itself gets mixed in with their other decision-making factors towards 'who would best protect traditional values' as you pointed out.

Also, I wouldn't put xenophobia on the 'can override' list for the 'center chunk' of 'Trump voters', or if I did, it would be with a GIGANTIC caveat: that it's only so prominent currently because certain extremely powerful entities find it essential to their existence to keep those sores bleeding. For all but a minority, it's anathema to their core beliefs and they absolutely know it and they'd like to act accordingly - but what keeps them from doing so is a whole other encyclopedia-length discussion. Basically in any 'normal' election cycle, it'd be far less of a factor than all the other 'traditional values' evaluation factors that these people would use. So you're right to include it but if it were up to me I think it needs that asterisk.

P.S. Good posting in the CE forum with you. It was a nice throwback to the old days.

P.P.S. don't forget the big wedge between Catholicism and the Protestantism in those 'red areas'. If anything that'll be a small to even a large minus against Biden for most people there.
(P.P.P.S, white Catholics (skew red) and hispanic Catholics (skew blue) are politically opposed.)

Siorac

They should encourage him to run as an independent and spit the Republican vote. Mind you, I doubt he'd have the fund-raising capabiiities for that.
Yes, this. A Trump bid in 2024 is probably good news for the Democrats, the one sure-fire way of energising their own voters.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You're oversimplifying it. I bet plenty of these people simply prefer Republican policy, so they'll vote Republican all time.

SirAF

Ageist
He probably doesn't know much. His entire presidency was to do nothing except sign judiciary appointments that Mitch sends to him, write in Twitter with Caps Locks turned on, play golf, and do rallies.
True :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Whilst I would agree that it's an over-simplification, the following still holds true...

How does Trump's racism relate to their personal policy preferences? Are you demanding somebody to just vote a different party because his party leader is an ass?

SirAF

Ageist
How does Trump's racism relate to their personal policy preferences? Are you demanding somebody to just vote a different party because his party leader is an ass?
No, but I'm demanding that someboby votes for a different party (or just don't vote GOP period.) if the leader is a sociopathic racist. This has not been a normal situation, it has not been about politics.

Kaos

Then where do you draw the line? Would it be reasonable to vote in fascists if they better your personal circumstances?

The fact of matter is Trump isn't even good policy wise for the majority of people who vote for him. Classic case of turkeys voting for Christmas after being duped by the likes of Fox news and very rich people, using patriotism, Jesus and faux meritocracy as guises while blaming others for their own personal woes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there should be a point where the moral failings of a leader whose policies you like become enough for you to prefer a more "decent" candidate whose policies you disagree with. You are voting for the actual person to be president, not their list of policies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No, but I'm demanding that someboby votes for a different party (or just don't vote GOP period.) if the leader is a sociopathic racist. This has not been a normal situation, it has not been about politics.
Then where do you draw the line? Would it be reasonable to vote in fascists if they better your personal circumstances?

The fact of matter is Trump isn't even good policy wise for the majority of people who vote for him. Classic case of turkeys voting for Christmas after being duped by the likes of Fox news and very rich people, using patriotism, Jesus and faux meritocracy as guises while blaming others for their own personal woes.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there should be a point where the moral failings of a leader whose policies you like become enough for you to prefer a more "decent" candidate whose policies you disagree with. You are voting for the actual person to be president, not their list of policies.
Don't you think you're unfairly generalizing all Republicans now?

Kaos

Don't you think you're unfairly generalizing all Republicans now?
I'm saying that people who vote for Trump are either ignorant and oblivious to the fact he's no good for them, flat out bigoted, or are better off and happy to embrace his bigotry and inflammatory rhetoric as long as his policies benefit them personally. Would you be happy to watch your neighbours' homes burn to the ground if it improves your lot?

InfiniteBoredom

That line of thinking got a point if it’s UK/Au/Canada parliamentary system, when the party leader is just an instrument to advance the party core beliefs and agenda, if BoJo decides to become a full blown fascist with not even a pretense of respecting democratic norms tomorrow, Tories would coup him and put Reese-Mogg in charge, for instance.

In the Republican Party and Trump case, Trump became the party, he dropped any pretense they had about small c conservatism, respect for checks and balances and brought the ugly, racist, cultural grievances undercurrent to the fore and made it the driver of national politics. The excuse of ‘party can keep him in check’ only worked for 2016 (even though we knew it was bs looking at how he browbeat them throughout the primaries), but to live through that for 4 years and still voted for him means you never really care for democracy to begin with.

Precaution

Problem here is, alot of people in the millions vote Republican merely because they just do, they hate DemoRATS etc etc, no matter who the leader is, could be Elmo or Jack the Ripper, they'll still vote no matter what, then factor in the racists and the same people in 2016 that voted for Trump purely because the other devil you know was Hillary Clinton who has a long history of corrupt politics of sorts, Biden is still viewed now as a career politician that had 40 years to do something and all he did (in their eyes) was pass a crime bill that targeted black people and make money off the back of the taxpayer // same thing as being the VP to Obama along with the view that he's a creepy senile old feck however ironic that maybe given the other candidate but Trump will always remain the anomaly amongst the rule.

So had there been a more legitimate candidate that was younger, vigerious, energetic and not too much history of taxpayer dime, that 71millon number of Americans would be severely reduced.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You’re joking, but can you imagine Donald Trump with all the secrets he knows? I can easily imagine him yapping about it with his golf «buddies». «Hey, did I tell you about Roswell? I have the BEST stories to tell».
Come on. Secrets? You know they just showed him War of the Worlds, when he asked about Roswell.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

Not being an ass, being a racist. And yes.
Shocking post.

That line of thinking got a point if it’s UK/Au/Canada parliamentary system, when the party leader is just an instrument to advance the party core beliefs and agenda, if BoJo decides to become a full blown fascist with not even a pretense of respecting democratic norms tomorrow, Tories would coup him and put Reese-Mogg in charge, for instance.

In the Republican Party and Trump case, Trump became the party, he dropped any pretense they had about small c conservatism, respect for checks and balances and brought the ugly, racist, cultural grievances undercurrent to the fore and made it the driver of national politics. The excuse of ‘party can keep him in check’ only worked for 2016 (even though we knew it was bs looking at how he browbeat them throughout the primaries), but to live through that for 4 years and still voted for him means you never really care for democracy to begin with.
Bingo. Good post.

Which ones? The 93% of them who voted for a racist psycho?
Well said.

decorativeed

Not hugely dissimilar to the UK. People are easily duped. Just get one or two simple negative phrases about the opposition in their heads and they don't look any further into it.

Maticmaker

What will 'Donny' do next?

What's the betting the anthology of 'Trumpism will run like; books written on how he won the Republican nomination and then books and political writings on how he won the first Presidential Race; then how he played a four year 'gig at the Whitehouse; then on how he lost the second Presidential race; but most interesting of all perhaps is ...what did 'Donny' do next'? This part of the 'Trumpian' anthology has the potential to be a block buster!

The first three elements; Republican nomination/Presidential race/ four year gig at the Whitehouse, will all happen no doubt; lots of money to be made for those 'in the know' about Trump...its already happening even now! How he lost the presidency maybe not be so popular a subject unless, that is, in the unlikely event some sort of verifiable/real fraud in mailing-in voting is uncovered, then it would be a blockbuster; especially if it allowed Trump to continual whine how he had the Office of the Presidency 'stolen' from him; imagine the book titles alone on this matter!

Of course it depends a lot on Trump himself, if like St Paul, he takes "the time has come for me to gone, I have run the race to the finish, I have kept the faith... approach and rides off into the sunset, somewhere in Florida no doubt! Then perhaps 'What Donny did next" will be of little interest. However if he remains like a 'Spectre' hovering over the Biden Administration (and perhaps the GOP too!), being as awkward and sniping from behind cover, as he can, then all bets are off.

Whatever happens, its likely only to feed into the 'Trumpian Odyssey'

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Biden's saying "count every vote"
Trump's saying "count every legal vote"

If you asked most people which they prefer (without knowing who said what) most people would say the second

And the problem is, Trump's people only need to find one illegal vote for Biden (and I'm sure there will be) to support their argument
The first problem with that argument is there's no reason to assume the first "illegal" vote they'll find is Biden's. We've been here before, after all.

"Illegal" votes happen in every election, but they don't align very well with Trump's messaging at all.
A six-month investigation by The New York Times of this chapter in the closest presidential election in modern American history shows that the Republican effort had a decided impact. Under intense pressure from the Republicans, Florida officials accepted hundreds of overseas absentee ballots that failed to comply with state laws.

In an analysis of the 2,490 ballots from Americans living abroad that were counted as legal votes after Election Day, The Times found 680 questionable votes. Although it is not known for whom the flawed ballots were cast, four out of five were accepted in counties carried by Mr. Bush, The Times found. Mr. Bush's final margin in the official total was 537 votes.

The flawed votes included ballots without postmarks, ballots postmarked after the election, ballots without witness signatures, ballots mailed from towns and cities within the United States and even ballots from voters who voted twice. All would have been disqualified had the state's election laws been strictly enforced.

The Republican push on absentee ballots became an effective counterweight to the Gore campaign's push for manual recounts in mainly Democratic counties in southern Florida.

In its investigation, The Times found that these overseas ballots -- the only votes that could legally be received and counted after Election Day -- were judged by markedly different standards, depending on where they were counted.

Canvassing board members struggled to strike a balance between counting as many votes as possible and safeguarding against fraud. Decisions were difficult, particularly with ballots that appeared to be from legitimate voters yet did not comply with the rules. In some cases, board members said they had used common sense and cited a Florida court decision that gave them some ''latitude of judgment.'' For example, the boards accepted 87 overseas ballots that arrived without a postmark a day or two after Election Day, judging that they most likely had been cast before Nov. 7.

Still, this benefit of the doubt was given to such ballots more than three times as often in counties carried by Mr. Bush, according to the Times database.

The canvassing board members also have sharp memories of those days. Judge Anne Kaylor, chairwoman of the Polk County board, said the combination of Republican pressure and court rulings caused it to count some ballots that would probably have been considered illegal in past years.

''I think the rules were bent,'' Judge Kaylor, a Democrat, said. ''Technically, they were not supposed to be accepted. Any canvassing board that says they weren't under pressure is being less than candid.''
The Republican party are the party of gerrymandering. They've openly stated it as a legitimate political goal, published a strategy to achieve it, and succeeded in many cases.

Why would they be any less likely to encourage some of these rules to be bent? Or why would the Democrats be any more successful in their quest? The reality is, most illegal votes have nothing to do with what Trump's talking about, and there's every reason to expect to uncover thousands of illegal votes for him too.

The bigger problem with the argument is that there are never enough illegal votes to swing the results. With late changes to the regulations there's more room for this errors and "latitude of judgment" to play a role, but they will fall in both directions.

InfiniteBoredom

Alright, how shall we generalize the minorities who voted for Trump? Uncle Toms?
Why is there even a need to generalise? People have different priorities. Most would have voted for selfish reason ranging from wanting lower taxes to abortion ban or immigration ban. The point here is while not all of them are card carrying racists, they were willing to turn a blind eye to blatant, overt racism in order to get what they want.

People also identify themselves differently, they may see themselves as conservative/Christian before black/Asian/Latino etc.... Even in the Hispanic communities, there’s conflict in identifying as white or Hispanic for many of them, which guides their political belief in some cases.

Dudu

Just went through the thread pages from when the win was called. So much gold.

:drool::drool::lol:

Dobba

Why is there even a need to generalise? People have different priorities. Most would have voted for selfish reason ranging from wanting lower taxes to abortion ban or immigration ban. The point here is while not all of them are card carrying racists, they were willing to turn a blind eye to blatant, overt racism in order to get what they want.

People also identify themselves differently, they may see themselves as conservative/Christian before black/Asian/Latino etc.... Even in the Hispanic communities, there’s conflict in identifying as white or Hispanic for many of them, which guides their political belief in some cases.
You'll have to narrow that down a bit, are you talking about Biden or Trump voters?

Status
Not open for further replies.