g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We'll take the greatest Pole of all...
Nah, that's Joseph Tykociner - who effectively invented talkies. If it weren't for him, we'd never have heard Arnold say "I'll be back", we would've just seen it printed on one of those silly intertitles.

Good pick, though.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I have been staying away from PES stats as it's a game and what the feck does a game know about football? (Ronaldo being the greatest rated player of all time in fifa 15 at one point).

NM

Jair Da Costa, a lightning quick right winger best described "flew like horses propelled by wind and had quick feet to match." Not just any right winger, His pace and quickness always tormented opposition fullbacks and was also comfortable operating as right Inside Forward supporting the strikers scoring his share of goals too. Not just the kind of talented luxury winger that needs defensive support, Jair did a fair share of work deeper. He love to run at opponents and uses his pace and dribbling skills to great effect. This versatility and willingness to operate in the midfield is what made him so successful in a team that lacked a proper right back.

Known for his time with Grande Inter, he made that right flank all his own. With only part time support from Burgnich air da Costa would drop deep in order to help his defenders and in order to sometimes start attacks from right back position. In fact, in some moments it seemed that Jair controlled almost complete right side. With Facchetti marauding on the left flank, Inter usually played defensive on the right flank with Jair being the main instigator of lightning quick counters.

With Grande Inter:

Italian League: 1963, 1965, 1966, 1971
European Champion's League: 1964, 1965

credit to @Edgar Allan Pillow for the write up
@sallycinnamin

NM

Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene
Gio 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair
sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3.
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3.
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3.
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3.
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3.

@NM
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@sallycinnamin picks Bernard Dietz

sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3.

@harms

Can I leave 2 picks as I am away till after 10p.m Bernard Dietz and Kenny Dalglish.
Kenny is a invalid pick (born 1951), so SallyC needs to come back for this turn again.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I didn't get to do a write up but hopefully this will help:

A certain Jimmy Johnstone causing Inter Milan all sorts of problems down the right against Facchetti/Corso/Bicicili. Surprising how defensive Inter were considering the team they had.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I'll take Paul Van Himst, the man who was fouled on so much that he was nicknamed Polle Gazon (Paul the Lawn). When UEFA decided to pick the best player ever from each European country there wasn't better choice for Belgium than Van Himst. He is also a record 4th times holder of Belgian Golden Shoe (best Belgium player of the year) and made it in top-5 of Ballon D'Or lists 2 times, in 1964 and 1965 (and was nominated in 1966 and 1967 too).

233 goals for Anderlecht and 30 goals for Belgium

harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst

@Tuppet

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
And what's this non-weekend shit? Us junkies need to get our hits after 5pm on a Friday you know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have a theory that Sally is actually EAP in disguise. There is no @sallycinnamin but merely a ruse set up to lull is into a trap.
It's a good old ruse, to be fair.

I've operated as @Balu for years now. Or rather, he has operated as me. Pretending to be a Bayern fan - or a United fan - has been a grand strain on me, or us, resulting in some erratic posting on our, or rather my, part(s).

Tuppet

Albert Shesternyov (Ivan the terrible)

Best defender in Soviet football history and the captain of great forgotten Soviet team. He was voted, by Ballon d'Or, the 14th, 11th, 10th and then 22nd best footballer in the world in 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971 respectively. During these years he was regarded as one of the best defenders in the World and if he had chosen to join one of the many European big teams that were chasing him, many said he would have been even more so highly regarded in the footballing world. He was however always commended for his one club career.

A brilliant athlete, at 17 years age he ran 100 meters in 11 seconds and was champion of all of the Moscow and Moscow region. He also showed excellent results in the 200 metres, long and triple jump. He could have had fantastic athletic career but his heart was set on football. His athleticism combined with his mentality and tactical intelligence mean he was the youngest ever debutant of CSKA Moscow history and their youngest ever captain at the age of 21. He remained a one club man for his life and captained CSKA Moscow team for 10 years. After leading CSKA to their first national title in 19 years he chose to retire from football on a high at only 30.

In 1970 he was chosen the Soviet footballer of the year while coming at third place in 1964 and 1965. His great achievements for national team came in European championships, where he was selected in UEFA team of tournament in 1968. One of the unluckiest captain in that tournament, he lost to eventual winners Italy via a coin toss, after his team's 0-0 draw with Italy – a match in which he had commanded the Soviet defense with customary fortitude and authority.

Tuppet

Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov

@Joga Bonito

Skizzo

I've operated as @Balu for years now. Or rather, he has operated as me. Pretending to be a Bayern fan - or a United fan - has been a grand strain on me, or us, resulting in some erratic posting on our, or rather my, part(s).
Then thank you for your, or his, assistance as my helpful accomplice in the sheep draft. He, or you, became the evil genius behind it all. People learned to fear, or despise, his, or your, presence.

harms

Staff

Albert Shesternyov (Ivan the terrible)

Best defender in Soviet football history and the captain of great forgotten Soviet team. He was voted, by Ballon d'Or, the 14th, 11th, 10th and then 22nd best footballer in the world in 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971 respectively. During these years he was regarded as one of the best defenders in the World and if he had chosen to join one of the many European big teams that were chasing him, many said he would have been even more so highly regarded in the footballing world. He was however always commended for his one club career.

A brilliant athlete, at 17 years age he ran 100 meters in 11 seconds and was champion of all of the Moscow and Moscow region. He also showed excellent results in the 200 metres, long and triple jump. He could have had fantastic athletic career but his heart was set on football. His athleticism combined with his mentality and tactical intelligence mean he was the youngest ever debutant of CSKA Moscow history and their youngest ever captain at the age of 21. He remained a one club man for his life and captained CSKA Moscow team for 10 years. After leading CSKA to their first national title in 19 years he chose to retire from football on a high at only 30.

In 1970 he was chosen the Soviet footballer of the year while coming at third place in 1964 and 1965. His great achievements for national team came in European championships, where he was selected in UEFA team of tournament in 1968. One of the unluckiest captain in that tournament, he lost to eventual winners Italy via a coin toss, after his team's 0-0 draw with Italy – a match in which he had commanded the Soviet defense with customary fortitude and authority.
:(

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

Interesting. So I am having a conversation with you? Whilst also talking to you about having a conversation with you, who is not you? Weird.

@Tuppet
Very nice pick.

harms

Staff
I'm afraid that I know 2 next Joga's picks :annoyed: I hope that I'm wrong

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Then thank you for your, or his, assistance as my helpful accomplice in the sheep draft. He, or you, became the evil genius behind it all. People learned to fear, or despise, his, or your, presence.
I feel it's time to come clean about all of this, so I will just say that this post, by "Skizzo", was also made by me. Balu, that is. Or Chester - whatever. I - we - am/are all of 'em. Except anto - which is the reason he was "banned". He threatened to expose the scheme.

Just a heads-up to the neutrals - it doesn't matter who you vote for, it's the same guy. But vote for "Chestelestreet" - that automatically donates a bitcoin to the queen of Mars (who will eventually rule the planet).

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Poor old Antohan. Why did he get upset in the last draft game?

Tuppet

BTW anybody knows what was anto's bamboozle draft idea ? I really need a bamboozle fantasy football draft in my life.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Actually, how the hell did antohan lose that game?

Marty1968

Having been on all day in the hope it would rattle through to me I'm now gonna be off until about 7am. Who's on for me to give picks to? Hope Joga doesn't get mine...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

With Charlton and Beckenbauer neutralising each other, the responsibility of providing England's thrust forward fell to a 21 year old, who'd just made his national debut about a year earlier. In the final of a WC and up against a midfield of Beckebauer-Overath and LB Schnellinger as an RAM in a diamond - no pressure then. Alan Ball, yet to hit 10 caps for England, took the game by the scruff of the neck and gave a complete virtuoso midfield performance, covering every single blade of grass on the Wembley turf, whilst giving a one of the greatest LBs ever in Schnellinger a torrid time, ultimately providing the assist for the winning goal.

Poor Schnellinger being "Boateng-ed" by Ball. :lol:

It spoke volumes that Ball, who in his words "had already died twice", was still sprinting upfield, unmarked and screaming for a pass as **** was about to score his third goal - the final action of the match.

I'll never forget June 18, 1992. Befuddled England had gone out of the Euro finals against hosts Sweden the night before.

I was walking with Bobby Moore up the expansive drive to the squad's luxury Stockholm hotel when Ball, one of Graham Taylor's coaches, hurtled towards us.

His face a livid beetroot and his eyes pricked with tears, he squeaked hoarsely: "They don't care. They're playing snooker and pool in there. They're not bothered that they're out."

A new generation had never learned what it really meant to lay down your soul for your country.

A great video highlighting Ball's goalscoring nous - he scored 67 goals in 156 league games during 1965-69, for Blackpool and Everton whilst playing as a midfielder.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball

@Marty1968 @Skizzo

RedTiger

Half mast
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball

@Marty1968 @Skizzo
Fair play joga, I was thinking of going for him if I didn't get any wingers, good choice.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
No idea.
It was his Kevin Keegan "I would love it" moment...
He had pretty much the best defence of all time and Cubillas up against Sol Campbell. To be fair, you did exploit his deficiencies as a drafter very well (His Mourinho like win at all costs hypocrisy and hyperbole) and your cheese lines were hilarious. Still, that defence in that set up isn't conceding more then a goal, even against your attack.