Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Think people are a bit harsh here as he did well to lock down a dangerous left winger 1v1. But I really hope we replace him with someone better. I have no hope he'll overcome those significant deficiencies and that strength just isn't enough for most games.

lex talionis

Wan wasn’t calamitous at all today, but we definitely need a RB to cover for him. He’s played virtually every minute this season and he looks a man who’s a bit broken physically.

Ekeke

Did you guys not watch Trippier in his final season at Spurs? And have you honestly seen him being great in the air defensively for Atletico?

He's a good passer and crosser. But lets not pretend those wouldnt be weaknesses for him too

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Not sure I'd go along with that. It wasn't a good performance today, but his pace is one of his strongest assets and he shows it in every match. I expect it's a big reason why he's instructed to tuck in so far, as Ole knows he has the pace to close a player down.

That said, his weaknesses were on show again today - terrible in the air and not good enough on the ball.
He isn't fast. He has one speed. He has "good pace" but he isn't fast.

Bobski

He struggles with awareness of danger on crosses, and when runners are coming from deep, can switch off. Odd player, world class in one v one battles but in so many other issues defensively he lets himself down.

Dinghy

Feel a bit sorry for him as he's clearly out of his depth. He's just not good enough.

Vaibhav Raj

At times, it almost feels like he is scared to death of situations wherein he may be required to head the ball and have to defend with his upper body. Is that why he loves to tuck in so much so as to not be exposed for his weakness? And of course, he is one of the best 1v1 defenders out there and is capable of outshining biggest of opposition attackers.

NinjaFletch

Did you guys not watch Trippier in his final season at Spurs? And have you honestly seen him being great in the air defensively for Atletico?

He's a good passer and crosser. But lets not pretend those wouldnt be weaknesses for him too
Is anyone saying that? Wan Bissaka's specific issues is that he's so poor defensively whilst offering so little going forward to balance that out.

Redlyn

Is it me or he always seems out of position, not goal side of his man like he should be. Even small things he does are really starting to annoy me. If he gives nothing going forward and can be a liability positionally at the back then it's really not worth it. Hoping for improvement.

Dante

Average bang
Opposition managers are targetting for cross-field balls. He's going to need to sort that our quickly.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was actually better on the ball today than he normally is, there were a few times he played really good balls with Bruno, Fred and McTominay.

Defensively he got caught out of position a few times and there were moments where they obviously targeted his weakness in the air. Overall while I wouldn't say he was good I also didn't think he was as bad as some of the comments in here seem to indicate.

Dante

Average bang
So wheres this list of really good rightbacks defending in the air?
He doesn't need to necessarily be good at heading the ball. He just need to be better positionally to stop the attacker from getting clean contact on crosses.

AWB's issue is the amount of space he leaves. It works for him on the wing where he can always stretch out his legs to make a tackle before the attacker gets to the box. But a yard of space in the penalty area can cost a goal.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I agree, Trippier doesn't fix our issues. I do think Lindelof is part of the problem too, it seems Ole wants Bissaka to cover him, but they're both weak in the air.

ash_86

Thought he was pretty good apart from one headed chance he failed to clear. Locked down his flank and Rodrigo and didn't give him much. He needs to improve his positioning for the crosses coming in though.

Foxbatt

I agree, Trippier doesn't fix our issues. I do think Lindelof is part of the problem too, it seems Ole wants Bissaka to cover him, but they're both weak in the air.
It's the other way around. Lindelof is much better in the air than AWB. Way better. AWB has no positional sense. On one v one he is the best but he is poor in other sense of defending.

Revan

Assumptionman
Worst player in our starting 11 as usual. I think we have 15 players who are better than him.

KjaAnd

How anyone can think he had a good game is a mystery to me. His complete lack of awareness and inability to read the game could have cost us several goals.

Ekeke

They are and so is the keeper. Henderson might come out for more crosses and help both out but it'd still be a weak area if a cross comes in

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought he was absolutely horrible today. If someone has the ball at their feet and is dribbling at him, 99 times out of 100 AWB has him in his pocket. But AWB struggles so much with players making runs off the ball. There were quite a few times today where I was yelling at my TV as a player ghosted past him that he should have picked up. He also finds himself following our opponents #9 way too much too. This is where he has to yell at Lindelof to pick up the man he is marking. Too many times are back 4 are marking the wrong players. He can mark the #9 if he's out wide but as he comes in there has to be a switch of marking considering there is likely a left winger to pick up as well. And that's the guy that AWB usually lets go. For me, he is the weakest link in our back 4. Probably the best 1 v 1 defender in the world, but he really struggles with players when they don't have the ball...

Ekeke

Is anyone saying that? Wan Bissaka's specific issues is that he's so poor defensively whilst offering so little going forward to balance that out.
If AWB is "poor defensively" then there isnt a single right fullback who is good at defending. He's average with his positioning and tracking back, maybe a bit under with heading and great breaking up play and 1 vs 1 defending, or making blocks, etc.

You can't name a RB who isnt also average or poor at some of that defensive stuff, or one who is as good defending one on one.

Its actually kinda weird. Trent-Alexander Arnold for example is great with passing and crossing. Thats one aspect, setting players up, that hes great at. We consider him one of if not the best attacking rightbacks... Because of 2 things.

But AWB needs to not only be a great at tackling and making blocks, but he cant be a good defensive fullback without being better than average with his positioning and heading?

So why doesnt Trent Alexander Arnold need to score more often to be a great attacking rightback? He isnt great at every offensive action. But AWB needs to be great at every defensive action or hes not a defensive fullback?

Back to the point that nobody has come up with a list of names of rightbacks who are good in the air. What ludicrous arguments you have to rob him of credit for a decent performance

Devil may care

Did well defensively and is getting more comfortable on the ball under pressure, also played a good ball with his left for either the 5th or 6th goal, I lost track.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's a weak link and opposition sees that. He struggled against Leeds winger, as anyone would've really, but his inability to head the ball is inexplicable at this level.

He needs a rest though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's having a bit of a shaky season but it's worth remembering he's still fairly young. He showed last season that he's a good player so I can afford him a lot of patience. We could do with another RB to rotate with him because he's out of form, having someone to ease the pressure would likely do him the world of good, it's why I hope the Trippier links have some weight to them.

Ollie Derbyshire

Thought he did well enough today given he doesn’t get much help down his side and Leeds overload as they do. Couple of times he let his man in behind and was lucky to get away with it but as with Maguire and Lindelof he doesn’t get any rotation and he’s starting to look a ragged, he needs to rested against Everton cause Leicester will flood his side as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

I thought, just like the City game, he was involved in some really good passing patterns. Got caught out a few times but that was to be expected with the way Leeds overload their wide areas. All in all, I felt he had a decent game. Do agree with others that we need someone to cover him, though.

I'd be looking to get someone who can play RB and CB. Someone like Mukiele or Klostermann.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He can't mark a man for shit, and that's massively worrying. The Bamford one-on-one was because of a stupid pass from him too. He needs to buckle up massively in defence.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His defensive positioning is all over the place. Imagine someone like Ronaldo roaming behind him in that side, it would be goals galore.

Every new RB we buy starts very well and then turns bad after few months for some reason.

hubbuh

I read that Laird came back from injury a few weeks ago. It'd be really, really great if he could kick on and offer some competition. Wan-Bissaka makes me incredibly nervous with how loose he can be with players making runs in behind and balls over the top. I thought he was a bit better on the ball today to be fair to him.

Hoboman

He has very average season and looks too shaky, but whole defense as a unit doesn't provide any confidence whatsoever lately.

Constantly letting crosses in and panicking with back post defending is becoming a trend. Ole clearly sees it and said that it is structural problem earlier this season, but nothing has changed and thing getting worse, because rivals target those weaknesses more and more.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's really hard to be negative against a anyone tonight after such a good win but I have said this about AWB since as early as Dec 2019. He's just not good enough.

Poor on the ball and positionally he's quite dreadful at times.

If the rumours are true about us looking for a right back you can kind of see why. AWB just isn't the answer.

Ekeke

So I've rewatched the first half and paid closest attention to our defenders, marking down any time any of them does anything good or bad that isnt completely expected defending where if they failed with it, it would be a talking point.

All I'm gonna say is AWB will need to have the worst 45 minutes of a fullback I've ever seen in the 2nd half for this to turn out a poor performance. He's been really, really good in the first half. Even some of his attacking play with team moves down the right and one Lindelof style neat pass into an attacking player coming to the center circle.

I'll watch the 2nd half again tomorrow. Sounds like its going to be unmissable

criticalanalysis

So I've rewatched the first half and paid closest attention to our defenders, marking down any time any of them does anything good or bad that isnt completely expected defending where if they failed with it, it would be a talking point.

All I'm gonna say is AWB will need to have the worst 45 minutes of a fullback I've ever seen in the 2nd half for this to turn out a poor performance. He's been really, really good in the first half. Even some of his attacking play with team moves down the right and one Lindelof style neat pass into an attacking player coming to the center circle.

I'll watch the 2nd half again tomorrow. Sounds like its going to be unmissable
He had a really good game in the first half like much of the whole team but individually he shut down attacks and played lots of difficult passes out from the back, which helped our momentum. I was actually impressed with his performance. 2nd half we sat a bit too deep and he was caught in no man's land a few times. Positionally not so much 'suspect' so to speak but he regressed into the box when he should have been a bit higher out. I don't think it was a bad thing because there's no way he could have exerted the same energy as Leeds would have exploited that.

Shame he has Lindelof on his inside, who basically refuses to move from the comfort of his penalty box and takes minimal aerial/ground command unless it's absolutely required.

Status
Not open for further replies.