Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Toad In theory I agree but as outsiders we tend to forget that there is a team on the other side of the table that may not ask for realistic fees, so it's a bit foolish to suggest that we should just pay and wrap things quickly. People often mention other clubs but for the most part they ignore the british market and target players from other leagues, teams from other leagues don't necessarily have the same ability to reject big fees, even a club like Lyon which is far from poor sold Mendy for 50m€ and that's already a big fee.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
21 years of age, talented and ambitious.......exactly the qualities that we need in our recruitment....!!

Toad

@Toad In theory I agree but as outsiders we tend to forget that there is a team on the other side of the table that may not ask for realistic fees, so it's a bit foolish to suggest that we should just pay and rap things quickly. People often mention other clubs but for the most part they ignore the british market and target players from other leagues, teams from other leagues don't necessarily have the same ability to reject big fees, even a club like Lyon which is far from poor sold Mendy for 50m€ and that's already a big fee.
I just look at Madrid and they have done most there incoming business already where as we haggle for ages. Maybe it’s wrapped up but judging by other windows we are most likely still negotiating.

JPRouve

Scout
I just look at Madrid and they have done most there incoming business already where as we haggle for ages. Maybe it’s wrapped up but judging by other windows we are most likely still negotiating.
Madrid have been negotiating most of these transfers for ages, it didn't happen quickly at all.

Seven Seas Sardines

I highly recommend the below viewing for anyone who wants to know more about how AWB became a full-back, his general progress before breaking into the Palace first team, how he transitioned from a left winger to a right back, etc.

The coaches that spent more than just one season with him also give their opinions on his strengths, mentality etc.

It's relevant from 2 mins 50 seconds onwards:

Great vid, makes it seem like he'll come good offensively as well. Similar personality to Daniel James, they'd do wonders to that right flank.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I highly recommend the below viewing for anyone who wants to know more about how AWB became a full-back, his general progress before breaking into the Palace first team, how he transitioned from a left winger to a right back, etc.

The coaches that spent more than just one season with him also give their opinions on his strengths, mentality etc.

It's relevant from 2 mins 50 seconds onwards:

Very good video. Also sort of highlights how important to have bit of luck going for you. Somehow coaches found his best position by accident.

Ikon

We come back to the issue of a Director of Football and lack of a clear long term strategy.
Madrid had clearly identified their targets months ago and didn't mess about in their attempts to sign them.
The result is 5 signings already in the bag.
Madrid now have the whole Summer to engineer a move for Pogba and even Mbappe.

United, don't give the impression of knowing what positions they want to fill or who they want to fill them.
We've apparently made 2 bids for Wan-Bissaka and are "determined" to get him, but then we make enquiries about Cancelo..!!
Are we actually in for a new CB or a RW..? Middle of June and we still are none the wiser.

Toad

Madrid have been negotiating most of these transfers for ages, it didn't happen quickly at all.
But we should have been too. We knew we needed to rebuild but then I suppose with a new manager it’s kind of difficult for stability reasons and him having his own targets.

Hazard was most likely done in principle a few months ago, but must have been a hard deal but at least they were negotiating earlier.

Toad

We come back to the issue of a Director of Football and lack of a clear long term strategy.
Madrid had clearly identified their targets months ago and didn't mess about in their attempts to sign them.

United, don't give the impression of knowing what positions they want to fill or who they want to fill them.
We've apparently made 2 bids for Wan-Bissaka and are "determined" to get him, but then we make enquiries about Cancelo..!!
Are we actually in for a new CB or a RW..? Middle of June and we still are none the wiser.
Would be nice for once to wrap things up (or most things) before preseason. But I suppose a lot of it could be media speculations anyway just making everyone impatient.

Varun

Staff
Because they enjoy unique position in world football where they get whoever they want while other clubs have to wait for players deciding where they want to go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
On the flip side though you have Barca who have yet to get De Ligt over the line.

You cant really blame us for haggling though given we're being asked to pay record breaking transfer fees for players way below world class ability

Ikon

You cant really blame us for haggling though given we're being asked to pay record breaking transfer fees for players way below world class ability
I'd disagree.
You can blame us for haggling when Woodward is so often boasting that we are the richest club in the World and that we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of.
Straight away, that has destroyed your bargaining position and Clubs are never going to lower their asking price after hearing those comments.

The Perisic deal last year apparently collapsed because United refused to pay the £4M difference in the players valuation.
That's like an ordinary person not buying a £50 item because it's 50p too expensive..

JPRouve

Scout
But we should have been too. We knew we needed to rebuild but then I suppose with a new manager it’s kind of difficult for stability reasons and him having his own targets.

Hazard was most likely done in principle a few months ago, but must have been a hard deal but at least they were negotiating earlier.
But we go back to my initial point, they mainly purchased players from clubs that aren't from the PL market and the one player that they bought from it was in the last year of his contract. My point is simply that you need to take into account the context and not consider that everything is about the buying club, Madrid had long negotiations for all of their signings and none of them were in the same position than Crystal Palace who have the PL money and a player under a long contract.

The reality is that no one wrap things up quickly, the difference is mainly that you pay more attention to news that concerns United and it's even worse when we are talking about purchasing a player from the PL.

Denis' cuff

You know this has happened or you just read every click-bait headline? Not one ounce of credibility in any statement here.

This is what feeds media bullshit.

Toad

On the flip side though you have Barca who have yet to get De Ligt over the line.

Barca are usually another team that get whoever they want but I think they have declined in recent years maybe making it more difficult for them. But clearly haven’t declined as much as us. Probably just the instability of the club that put slot of players off but that should effect the transfer fee

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But we go back to my initial point, they mainly purchased players from clubs that aren't from the PL market and the one player that they bought from it was in the last year of his contract. My point is simply that you need to take into account the context and not consider that everything is about the buying club, Madrid had long negotiations for all of their signings and none of them were in the same position than Crystal Palace who have the PL money and a player under a long contract.

The reality is that no one wrap things up quickly, the difference is mainly that you pay more attention to news that concerns United and it's even worse when we are talking about purchasing a player from the PL.
Exactly, for the same reason people assume Chelsea are very quick in transfer market.

Toad

I tend to agree regarding the premier league club buying as there is massive inflation and as you said the premier league clubs don’t actually need small money, they might as well go big or nothing.

We want to buy premier league proven player for obvious reasons, especially defenders with a proven track record because you get them from another league and they may be half the player they were there when in the prem.

Maguire for example he a massive price tag on his head, it’s silly really but I suppose it’s the reality of today’s game.

Personally I trust Woodward to get a big deal over the line at the lowest price. What I don’t trust is the problem he doesn’t seem to know enough about the footballing side of things to actually go out there and say “feck it, I’m just going to pay the money they want” because either someone else will take them or they are too good to haggle over.

Ikon

You know this has happened or you just read every click-bait headline? Not one ounce of credibility in any statement here.

This is what feeds media bullshit.
Yes, I can say conclusively that United have not appointed a Director of Football.

Yes I know for a fact that Madrid have signed 5 players, and that tells you that they had a plan in place.

Now if you want to believe that United do have a long term strategy inplace, you are entitled to your opinion. The past 6 years would tend to dispel that though I would have thought.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I tend to agree regarding the premier league club buying as there is massive inflation and as you said the premier league clubs don’t actually need small money, they might as well go big or nothing.

We want to buy premier league proven player for obvious reasons, especially defenders with a proven track record because you get them from another league and they may be half the player they were there when in the prem.

Maguire for example he a massive price tag on his head, it’s silly really but I suppose it’s the reality of today’s game.

Personally I trust Woodward to get a big deal over the line at the lowest price. What I don’t trust is the problem he doesn’t seem to know enough about the footballing side of things to actually go out there and say “feck it, I’m just going to pay the money they want” because either someone else will take them or they are too good to haggle over.
Who are these players that are too good to haggle over and again you don't know what they want. If Crystal Palace quoted 120m£, what do you do?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd disagree.
You can blame us for haggling when Woodward is so often boasting that we are the richest club in the World and that we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of.
Straight away, that has destroyed your bargaining position and Clubs are never going to lower their asking price after hearing those comments.

The Perisic deal last year apparently collapsed because United refused to pay the £4M difference in the players valuation.
That's like an ordinary person not buying a £50 item because it's 50p too expensive..
Except it's quite obviously not

Toad

Who are these players that are too good to haggle over and again you don't know what they want. If Crystal Palace quoted 120m£, what do you do?
I don’t know, I’m not an ‘expert’ like these guys are meant to be. This is why they get paid the big bucks because they are meant to know their stuff. Goes back to the DoF which we lack in my opinion.

If Palace quite 120 you laugh because that’s just absurd, clearly limits should be set but £50m isn’t absurd considering how desperate we are for a right back and he seems like the best option for us right now.

ash_86

This is going to be a brilliant signing for us. Even without a CB, our defense gets a boost with AWB. Such a freak of nature.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nobody else think this guy should be moulded into central defender? the stats speaks for themselve as to how good he is defensively.
He's probably Conte's wet dream playing in a back 3.

jackal&hyde

A great signing. For all the Brexit/ Lets buy UK players talk, this is a guy that is on his way to be world class. He will improve us to no end.

redshaw

Warming to the idea of getting him instead of the PSG cast-offs. Lets get it done then.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nobody else think this guy should be moulded into central defender? the stats speaks for themselve as to how good he is defensively.
Could it be that the reason why he's so good defensively is the position which he prefers to play in currently ?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Why is everyone comparing us to Madrid? Madrid have just won 4 CL titles and besides that is everyone and their uncle's boyhood dream. We don't have that luxury, as do most other clubs as can be seen by the lack of movement from the majority of teams. It's obvious we're also being quoted extremely high fees which we have to negotiate around. Yet still, we have concrete news of negotiations for the right kind of players. English players take work to get and European players we have to tussle with others, it's not the flip of a switch to get a good player.

We'll See Out There!

Lets get this guy in, sounds like he's making noises about wanting the United move. Love the sound of that a player actually wanting to come to us.:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.