5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudo_canadian

It's pretty safe to assume that when they're all fit and available to play, van Gaal would never sit Rooney, Mata, or van Perise.

izec

I would rather one of Mata and Kagawa be the #10 over Rooney. Rooney is a brilliant striker.
me too, but i would be surprised especially after being announced captain, which indicates that LvG rates him and Mata couldnt really make himself irreplaceable in the preseason. We have Welbeck too, Di Maria would complicate things further. I would prefer Vidal, we need him more.

SteveW

Posted this in the 3-5-2 thread but it didn't get much of an answer and I'm genuinely interested to hear what people would think of it so I'm going to try here:

Ancelotti proved last season that there's nothing wrong with an asymmetrical formation if it lets you use every player in the position where they can do their best work for the team. Here you sacrifice a wing-back in order to get Januzaj on the pitch in his best position, as a winger/wide AM/inside forward (whatever you want to call that free role from a wide starting position). His defensive work-rate is decent, but really it's down to Fletcher and Jones to provide the energy and defensive nous to cover that vacated area.

This way, you can get Januzaj into the starting line-up (and Welbeck would also be a superb fit there). You add pace and unpredictability into the attack, and also strengthen the threat from the wide areas. You add in a type of player that has been central to Van Gaal's formations since Alkmaar - an unpredictable, pacy wide attacker. He used El Hamdaoui at AZ, and Robben at Bayern and for the Netherlands. Januzaj fits that role like a glove.

Yes, it's slightly more defensively open. But it's not as if Ashley Young, the current alternative, is exactly a defensive guarantee as a wingback. Jones is already stepping up into those areas regularly, and Fletcher is the sort of experienced midfielder who can more than cope with covering a little more of the field defensively. The 3-man back line allows for exactly this sort of adjustment, because if Jones has to step out, he still leaves an intact pair of CBs to cover the central areas.
Na, just play him as one of the front 3, absolve him of defensive responsibility and watch him torment teams.

REJE

For the short spell he had last night he still proved he has the ability to start for us.. Picked the ball up in so many dangerous positions, linked the play great and he's the only player we have that has the pace and technique to beat any number of players. He's a special talent.

Shark

@NotShark
For the short spell he had last night he still proved he has the ability to start for us.. Picked the ball up in so many dangerous positions, linked the play great and he's the only player we have that has the pace and technique to beat any number of players. He's a special talent.
He no doubt has the ability to start for us, but it's not as simple as that with young players at times. It still remains to be seen if he can do it more consistently and in the big games.

Shark

@NotShark
I would rather one of Mata and Kagawa be the #10 over Rooney. Rooney is a brilliant striker.
Kagawa? really?

Rooney offers so much more than him as a number 10, including buckets of assists and goals for a start.

In Rainbows

Kagawa? really?

Rooney offers so much more than him as a number 10, including buckets of assists and goals for a start.
I prefer them because they have more of a consistent touch and they link the midfield and attack better. Rooney does offer more goals and assists though. No arguing that.

Superpolfcb

I'm sure he'll play a fair amount of games.
It's not easy for him to get into the team with the attacking options we have and the current formation, but I'm confident he'll play a lot.

We're talking about a young talent who has played as a striker, central attacking midfielder and on both wings during the last 2 years. It's not that he doesn't fit the formation, it's just that now he's competing in an area we have top players, instead of out wide.
He's one of the few players we have that can actually dribble past an opposition player and create fear with his unpredictability, they'll find a place for him.

At the very least he will be the one the manager will bring on during the game when we have to force something.
From then on, it's his responsibility. Van Gaal has proven at his previous clubs that age or status doesn't really matter that much to him. It's the way you play and behave when you get your chance, that will decide whether you get another one or even a starting spot.
Knowing our club, injuries will sadly play a big part too...

He's the closest we have to Robben, don't think Van Gaal had any problem fitting him in his 352.

Shark

@NotShark
I prefer them because they have more of a consistent touch and they link the midfield and attack better. Rooney does offer more goals and assists though. No arguing that.
Mata does, I agree. However Kagawa isn't a better option than Rooney there if his United career so far is anything to go by.

In Rainbows

Mata does, I agree. However Kagawa isn't a better option than Rooney there if his United career so far is anything to go by.
Kagawa has rarely played in the 10 spot with United. He's mostly been played on the wing. I also think he would do much better under LVG.

Shark

@NotShark
Kagawa has rarely played in the 10 spot with United. He's mostly been played on the wing. I also think he would do much better under LVG.
I disagree purely based on evidence. Plus, surely Kagawa would have gotten more opportunities there if he's as good as some people think he is in his natural position? Rooney assists and scores goals there, Kagawa has been shockingly unproductive since his arrival. Mata already has more goals and assists.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Kagawa is the single most over-rated player in the league, mostly by fans on this website. #lockupshinji

Furthermore, this is a Januzaj thread. United gave him the 11 shirt, Kagawa is still at 26. It doesn't mean everything, but it certainly means something and perhaps it would be best for Kagawa's career if he found a new employer.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
Januzaj was the most logical choice given his traits where we got him from (working through the youth team) and where he is now. Unless we got an almighty huge player someone like Reus it was always going to be a youngster coming through and as a fan I am proud of that. He must feel 10ft tall now that he is new legendary No.11 of Manchester United. It will go down in history and I couldnt be happier for the lad.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Hope to see him feature in some way against Swansea. Maybe off the bench in a forward role.

SteveW

But my way we don't have to bench one of Mata, RVP or Rooney. We can play all of them and Januzaj.
All 3 don't have to play. He offers a mix of attributes that none of the others posess. Were a better team when he's in the side.

I don't think your formation is balanced enough and I very much doubt if van gaal would consider it for that reason.

While on this topic, why the obsession with playing Rooney, RVP and Mata? There's no pace. None of them can beat a man. We will need to mix in Welbeck and Januzaj into the equation to be at our most dangerous. I would never pick the 3 together personally.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Make the 3-5-2 a 3-6-1 with Mata and Januzaj roaming about behind Rooney. They can stretch defences their movement and let Wayne tap them in.

Cantona'sCollar

Makes sense doesn't it? Maybe not this season, but in a season's time.

CM Mata CM

Januzaj Rooney Di Maria​

That's just :drool:
If anything, it would be

---CM------CM----Di Maria---
-----Mata--------Januzaj----
-----------Rooney-----------

Di Maria has excelled as a central midfielder (the left-most midfielder of a midfield three) for both club & country over the last season or so. He was beyond excellent in midfield for Madrid this year & has not played any significant game-time on the wing since the 12/13 season. Not that I don't think your formation is wrong or anything - it would probably work well, I just feel Di Maria is better in midfield (where has has earned all his plaudits & gone from a good player to a top class one) while Mata is better around the hole.

Sorry to make a mountain of a molehill :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Gary Neville: "This is a big season for Januzaj.At this stage of his physical development u would not expect him to deliver 20 gls a season"

Gary Neville : "But in 2 or 3 years I think he(Januzaj) will(score 20+ gls a season), because he has the attributes of a world-class player"

kiristao

He might start I recon. He looked good when he came on against Valencia and liked up much better with Rooney than Hernandez did.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
And today's lesson Louis, is that Januszaj will always need to play when fit.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It won't be long until we're playing a more traditional system and Januzaj will be key.

Final ball and decision making will come as the season progresses and his understanding with the likes of Mata, Rooney and van Persie develops. He's just breezes past opponents at ease.

The only true positive of what was an abysmal display for me...and even he was a bit of a let down!

In Rainbows

Disappeared when they moved him to the left. Saw less of the ball and didn't run past anyone when he did get it. No idea why they went away from him. Needs to work on his decision making once he goes past a player.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's got a bit of a rubbish strike. Needs to sort that out first if he's ever going to become a top player.

Ash_G

Makes a massive difference, he's not always going to make the right decision but he makes things happen because he's willing to have a go, he'll either open it up or draw a foul in a good area.

ottosec

He was poor today, took on player for fun, but managed to feck up the final ball every single time.

itso 7

He is a bit selfish, he tries too much these Robben type shots from the right wing.
This plus I don't know why we always isolate our wingers because you need someone, preferably Mata, moving laterally to offer support. To overload the wings and help draw out defenders.

Devil may care

The move over to the left didn't help him and I thought he tried to do too much at times, but he offered the only real excitement and is the only really tricky attacker we have, for me we need a system that allows him to start regularly.

In Rainbows

This plus I don't know why we always isolate our wingers because you need someone, preferably Mata, moving laterally to offer support. To overload the wings and help draw out defenders.
In the first half he was isolated, leaving him no choice, but to go past players (which he did) due to Chicha always making the run to the far post. I think Rooney did the same, but I can't say for sure. They need to offer him more help.

He hasn't had a pre season so I thought it was a good first game all things considered.

FromTheBench

Should have started up top instead of Cheech.

Guess he wasn't seen as fit enough by LVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.