Adnan Januzaj

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Where you play on the pitch shouldn't make any difference to your approach to the game. Rooney, Giggs, Jones etc. don't play any differently despite

Januzaj is clearly just more ballsy and confident, and when the team's not at its best we need characters like that. Januzaj showed the ability to win games on his own when we're not playing well against Sunderland and he's shown the ability to improve the team's play when today. So far it seems like Kagawa is someone who can knit things together when the team's playing well but he's helpless when we're struggling. That's not a United player.
yeah, kagawa is a luxury player. Januszaj could be world class one day with that attitude.

Mad Winger

I disagree with that, Januzaj will be absolutely incredible as a number 10 for us. Although I'd love to see a formation with a striker up top and then Januzaj and Kagawa both playing behind sharing the number 10 role if you like.
So you want Kagawa and Januzaj to share the hole?:nervous:

MoneyMay

I really don't see how comparing Kagawa to Januzaj as wingers is fair in any way. Januzaj wins it because he fits our system - his skill set is superior. He can take players on and use his pace... There's more urgency because that's the player he is. Kagawa isn't going to take players on in the same way, he's a #10 who - most of the time - picks out the right pass. Kagawa's best play today was from a central area, playing a neat pass to Van Persie. If you want him to play great as a LW, the system has to differ.

Januzaj will become a world class player. He's nearing first team status IMO. I've said it before, but I would be embarrassed if a player as young as him showed more than an attacking player...

DevilRed

Came on and gave us a much needed spark. He ain't going to save us this season by himself, but if we play our cards right we might have a very special player on our hands. Definitely looking like a worthy successor to Ryan Giggs.

Ekeke

Well the difference is that Kagawa barely ever takes players on. Which is strange as I saw him beat players often for Dortmund. But currently its not something he offers

Mad Winger

Well the difference is that Kagawa barely ever takes players on. Which is strange as I saw him beat players often for Dortmund. But currently its not something he offers
Argh, I don't like going off-topic, but I have to take this bait... The reason you saw this more for Dortmund is becuase:

1. He was playing centrally for a high pressing team. It's much easier to glide past players then, because they will often have to cover several players at the same time.
2. Dortmund's off-the-ball movement and high pressing is superior to ours. The more players makeing offensive runs, the easier it gets to dirbble past players.
3. While Kagawa can dribble past players, it's worth noting that he almost exclusively uses turns, acceleration, or other unpredictable moves, in order to pull this off. Kagawa is not good at running towards goal and dribbling, because the element of surprise is gone. He can't use his quick turns or sudden acceleration, because the opponent is already expecting this, while also moving. Kagawa needs to catch players off-guard, because he's not a dribbler like Januzaj/Nani.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Loved his urgency when he came on.

Our players were ambling through the 2nd half before then.

Ekeke

Ah, OK... If I had know that you had spoken to Kagawa personally, then I wouldn't have made that post. Sorry about that!
Apology accepted, but please refrain in the future from making posts in the future trying to come up with excuses for things just because a player you like has a bit of well founded criticism. Players like Rooney dribble as much out wide as they do in the middle.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well, I pretty much disagree with this entire post. But this is the Januzaj thread, so don't want to go off topic.

I'll just end it by saying that Kagawa would do a much better job than Januzaj in the no.10 role. Januzaj is a more promising and arguably better winger. Kagawa is a better no.10. Both players are the future for our club. We need to play them both.
I think you'll be extremely surprised if that's what you think. Januzaj isn't a winger, he's just fecking class and could probably play anywhere in midfield or attack. He'll be miles better than Kagawa in the no.10 role. Hopefully he'll show that on Tuesday.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can we mould him into a centre-midfielder? Lovely left foot he has, really can pick a pass out too. Seems to know what he's going to do with the ball before he gets it.
I've long thought that will be where he ends up. A player with his ability in the middle of the field is worth his weight in gold. He's good defensively but just isn't effective yet due to his build. He could be class there though in the future.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The fact that he will soon become a fixture in our team gives me encouragement as to our future play. He simply makes us better. If we can get one or two in who are on his wavelength and tempo and we will have some team in the future.

Pogba, Ravel and Januzaj could have saved us a feckload of money if it had come off. Kagawa and Fellaini cost us £40m which may not have even happened had the first two stayed. I doubt we'd be a worse team either.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Another positive display. Almost gotten to the stage where you would be tempted to rest him to the Cup match but he should play and be given a bigger role.

Great to see him being used regularly.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Has to play behind the striker (unless Kagawa finally does!) on Tuesday, think he will flourish in that position.

LR7

He's a definite number 10 imo. I think it's where he plays best, despite the fact that he's still influential on the flanks.

I've always had confidence in this kid, the one thing I suppose I wanted to see was whether he could consistently affect first team games on a regular basis and he does. Giggs said it best when he said how much Adnan has given the rest of the lads a lift. It's clearly visible on the pitch, they trust him and he seems to relish that. He's so positive in his play and is always looking to make things happen - he's been like that for the U18s and U21s but it's great to see him doing it every game he plays in for the first team too.

I trust Moyes it use him correctly. He's a handy little sub too, coming off the bench to terrorise tired defenders :drool:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I eventually see him being good enough to play as a no.10 but not yet. Think he needs to get more experience and nail down a starting spot as a winger first.

LR7

I agree. David Moyes is doing the right thing in that sense. He drifts inside a fair bit anyway despite starting wide.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I love the way how he effortlessly glides past defenders. He's also got that thing about him that all world class players have, that certain aura that you can't describe. You just know he'll become one though. Whenever he gets the ball you expect him to make stuff happen, gets you onto the edge of your seat. Hope he stays for a really long time but sadly I don't think he'll be a one club man (can't really blame him, not many are).

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Where you play on the pitch shouldn't make any difference to your approach to the game. Rooney, Giggs, Jones etc. don't play any differently despite

Januzaj is clearly just more ballsy and confident, and when the team's not at its best we need characters like that. Januzaj showed the ability to win games on his own when we're not playing well against Sunderland and he's shown the ability to improve the team's play when today. So far it seems like Kagawa is someone who can knit things together when the team's playing well but he's helpless when we're struggling. That's not a United player.
He does have a certain fearlessness in his game which he shares with other top talents. You just see how much he enjoys playing football. One can only hope that he can keep this attitude towards the game for a very long time.

His potential is outstanding. He already has very strong technical abilities on the ball, good vision and a lot of pace. He is also a very straight forward player, which is something I always enjoy.

However, I don´t agree with some posts in this thread who say that he should be played every game or started whenever he is available. His best role right now is IMO the one of a high impact sub. He can bring you a certain push or spark in difficult situations and his pace becomes even more deadly when his opposition is tired.

Another important thing is that United would do good to carefully build him up. In my eyes one reason for his current carefree approach to the game is that he does not feel too much pressure at the moment, so it would be probably wise to not put too much expectations on the boy. Some top talents survive when they are thrown into high pressure situtations like being expected to carry a team but others were also burned out by those situations.

Give the boy time, be happy about what he offers at the mean time and enjoy the rewards that will very likely come from it in the future. One thing can´t be denied already: The boy is special.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
really impressive again today. Came onto the pitch and looked to make things happened. Really want to see this kid starting more games, we look a far more dangerous team with him on the park at the moment.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I think that is kind of harsh Brwned, imagine if Scholesy was put on the wing for United .. as he was for England, He'd have struggled to be effective and play his natural game. Certain players have the skills to be versatile, having pace, tackling, an eye for a pass and dribbling ability helps to play in a number of positions.. but when you lack something like pace, your options become alot more limited as a player.

For me the reason why Kagawa lacks the 'balls' of Januzaj is that Kagawa knows he can't beat men around the outside, doesn't have the pace or the strength. Does that mean he's shite? well possibly no, it means he's better off playing in a central area where he is more unpredictable, can go either side of a player and pick and choose his moments when to dribble. Januzaj is a better player but he's got a superior skill set and the right physical attributes to boot... hence why he could play in a number of positions.

If Kagawa is played in the hole and he is helpless when we're struggling, then I totally agree.. he's not a United player - simple as. He should be given the chance to demostrate that though because on the wing he is not of the required quality to play for United.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He has that positive arrogance, like Cristiano had when he first arrived at United.

Apart from obvious and great talent, he's brave to take players on, dribble even if that means losing ball sometimes and he rarely goes for the 'safe' pass most youngsters go when given chance in the first team in fear of making mistakes.

Dealing with him properly will give United monster player for the future, if not present, since he's looking like part of the first 11 whenever he's on the pitch.

Moyes will use him properly knowing what a kind of player he'll become and can't wait to see him in more action for United!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think that is kind of harsh Brwned, imagine if Scholesy was put on the wing for United .. as he was for England, He'd have struggled to be effective and play his natural game. Certain players have the skills to be versatile, having pace, tackling, an eye for a pass and dribbling ability helps to play in a number of positions.. but when you lack something like pace, your options become alot more limited as a player.

For me the reason why Kagawa lacks the 'balls' of Januzaj is that Kagawa knows he can't beat men around the outside, doesn't have the pace or the strength. Does that mean he's shite? well possibly no, it means he's better off playing in a central area where he is more unpredictable, can go either side of a player and pick and choose his moments when to dribble. Januzaj is a better player but he's got a superior skill set and the right physical attributes to boot... hence why he could play in a number of positions.

If Kagawa is played in the hole and he is helpless when we're struggling, then I totally agree.. he's not a United player - simple as. He should be given the chance to demostrate that though because on the wing he is not of the required quality to play for United.
I don't disagree with this but then I don't think Scholes was ever as timid or passive from that position as Kagawa. I don't think he struggled to be effective there in Euro 2004 at all for example. Absolutely it's never going to be the way to get the best out of these players but I don't think that's an excuse for such a fearful approach to the game.

He does have a certain fearlessness in his game which he shares with other top talents. You just see how much he enjoys playing football. One can only hope that he can keep this attitude towards the game for a very long time.

His potential is outstanding. He already has very strong technical abilities on the ball, good vision and a lot of pace. He is also a very straight forward player, which is something I always enjoy.

However, I don´t agree with some posts in this thread who say that he should be played every game or started whenever he is available. His best role right now is IMO the one of a high impact sub. He can bring you a certain push or spark in difficult situations and his pace becomes even more deadly when his opposition is tired.

Another important thing is that United would do good to carefully build him up. In my eyes one reason for his current carefree approach to the game is that he does not feel too much pressure at the moment, so it would be probably wise to not put too much expectations on the boy. Some top talents survive when they are thrown into high pressure situtations like being expected to carry a team but others were also burned out by those situations.

Give the boy time, be happy about what he offers at the mean time and enjoy the rewards that will very likely come from it in the future. One thing can´t be denied already: The boy is special.
Completely agree on both counts. We're definitely in danger of expecting too much from Januzaj already and I've no doubt the club will look to protect him from that as much as possible. Tremendous weapon to have off the bench.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Very harsh on kagawa. Last season when we often struggled, van Persie was often seemingly the one one rising above that to drag us through to wins. What happened to the rest (barring carrick I guess)? Did they become "not Manchester United" players suddenly? I agree that kagawa has to improve in this respect but let's not overrate the rest if our squad. Often when we're shit, giggs starts trying stupid flicks and tricks, Rooney misplaces simple passes and gets his touch awfully wrong,and Valencia does....nothing.

I think kagawa looked bright early on when we were playing high intensity short passing stuff. He en started fading after that start as the team started struggling so he does need to work on imposing himself, but I think you're overrating the "manchester United player".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Very harsh on kagawa. Last season when we often struggled, van Persie was often seemingly the one one rising above that to drag us through to wins. What happened to the rest (barring carrick I guess)? Did they become "not Manchester United" players suddenly? I agree that kagawa has to improve in this respect but let's not overrate the rest if our squad. Often when we're shit, giggs starts trying stupid flicks and tricks, Rooney misplaces simple passes and gets his touch awfully wrong,and Valencia does....nothing.

I think kagawa looked bright early on when we were playing high intensity short passing stuff. He en started fading after that start as the team started struggling so he does need to work on imposing himself, but I think you're overrating the "manchester United player".

Status
Not open for further replies.