g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alejandro Garnacho image 17

Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

People saying they are scared we will lose him to Real and Barca, how many players have we lost to those clubs? I hear this all the time as if we’ve been their feeder club for years.
It's super weird to see United fans this insecure. We're football giants still and we don't lose players willy nilly like that for feck's sake

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Garnacho is a real deal. I hope he keeps himself focused and keeps improving.

What I hate about it is that, if he does become great, we will 100% lose him to Real Madrid or Barca.

So fecking annoying to feel like an Ajax fan, when Spanish teams come poaching :D
Well, not 100% tbf. Maybe 90%. Be realistic.

SuiiR7

Garnacho really is special. We can either keep him in the squad and rotate or put him on loan somewhere he will start every game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He might be from January 1st, the way he's going.
Seriously though, Rashford will probably play most matches on the left, and probably occasionally CF, so Garnacho will get quite a few games, and sub appearances, but it certainly will be interesting to see what ETH does at the start of next season.
Hope not. We need to manage his career like fergie did with Giggs. Intermittently early on and then gradually start him when his early 20s

marktan

Alejandro, Alejandro

Ale ale jandro, Ale alejanderooo

To the tune of.. Alejandro by gaga

Tarrou

didn't Ronaldo score similar later winner at Craven Cottage too? Cutting in from that far side and finishing in opposite corner

cpresc

Supposedly it was an accumulation of small things like showing up late to preseason training; coming out to the training pitch without his shoelaces tied etc. (I think this was in a Luckhurst article) — nothing major, stuff you’d expect from a young kid, really.
ah ok, thanks for that

Stig

Supposedly it was an accumulation of small things like showing up late to preseason training; coming out to the training pitch without his shoelaces tied etc. (I think this was in a Luckhurst article) — nothing major, stuff you’d expect from a young kid, really.
That's the problem with the youth.

If I was 18 years old, breaking into the Machester United team, making goals, scoring goals, winning games, waiting on a a big pay rise, well, I would just be very humble.

lsd

The Oracle
People saying they are scared we will lose him to Real and Barca, how many players have we lost to those clubs? I hear this all the time as if we’ve been their feeder club for years.

Especially now with the money in football, players won’t be moving from one big club to another due to the astronomical cost and if and when Garnacho gets to that level that the big boys in Spain want him, they’ll have to pay £100m upwards which they can’t afford.

Yeah but that is what they do pay mega money for a player they want and will chase until he signs for them.

Plus in Garnacho's case it's where he is from so natural he would want back there.

Hopefully we sign him down to a new contract and we keep him into his mid 20s at least

OldSchoolManc

His turn of pace, actual pace, control and composure… all world class. At 18. I hope we tie him down to a long contract!

criticalanalysis

Summer 2025

The contract talk now is simply because he makes about 2k a week. So we need to give him a bump if he's playing for the 1st team regularly.
That's why he was so happy mid week with the assists and goal today.

He must be about £300 richer now! :drool:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
As excited and hopeful as I am about him, I still say we continue to ease him in. Much better for his overall development.
The more he plays the more teams will target him, and it depends on how he deals with this that will say a lot more about his abilities. Let's take it easy with him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Garnacho really is special. We can either keep him in the squad and rotate or put him on loan somewhere he will start every game.
Loaning a talent like that so he can get games elsewhere would be wrong. He’s basically already there in terms of ability and can contribute here, I would literally scream if we loaned him out to play Sancho in his position.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Loaning a talent like that so he can get games elsewhere would be wrong. He’s basically already there in terms of ability and can contribute here, I would literally scream if we loaned him out to play Sancho in his position.
We won't send him on loan. There are plenty of games here we can use him. He's also really self assured so that's half the battle won with making the step up to the first team.

Ole'sattheWheel

Especially now with the money in football, players won’t be moving from one big club to another due to the astronomical cost and if and when Garnacho gets to that level that the big boys in Spain want him, they’ll have to pay £100m upwards which they can’t afford.
To be fair we seem to always lose our top top (non British) players to Madrid/Barca, with the exception of Beckham.

Off the top of my head we've lost:
Ronaldo - Portuguese (balon d'or winner, with us, Talismanic #7, best player in the world at the time)
Ruud - Dutch (best goalscorer in europe. Absolutely lethal finisher that any team in the world would want ala Haaland)
Becks - English (commercial brand like no other. Every kid in the country wanted to be beckham. Talismanic #7)
(Almost) De Gea - Spanish (only world class player in our team at the time. probably best keeper in the world at the time too - if not for a dodgy fax machine he'd be theirs)

Honorary mentions go to Pique (won the CL with us and wanted to go back to barca), Heinze (no idea what his deal was) and Chicharito:nervous::nervous: (ok not amazing but tell me you wouldn't have him in his prime right now).

Trend is - a huge player comes through United's ranks - usually foreign. To them, Madrid are fecking massive and who they've dreamed of playing for since they were 6 years old.
Madrid come in with a bid - player wants out and we have to sell.

Can't really think of any modern world class players we've lost to them in the last 10 years (hint - we haven't had any)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be fair we seem to always lose our top top (non British) players to Madrid/Barca, with the exception of Beckham.

Ronaldo - Portuguese (balon d'or winner, with us, Talismanic #7, best player in the world at the time)
Ruud - Dutch (best goalscorer in europe. Absolutely lethal finisher that any team in the world would want ala Haaland)
Becks - English (commercial brand like no other. Every kid in the country wanted to be beckham. Talismanic #7)
(Almost) De Gea - Spanish (only world class player in our team at the time. probably best keeper in the world at the time too - if not for a dodgy fax machine he'd be theirs)

Honorary mentions go to Pique (won the CL with us and wanted to go back to barca), Heinze (no idea what his deal was) and Chicharito:nervous::nervous: (ok not amazing but tell me you wouldn't have him in his prime right now).

Trend is - a huge player comes through United's ranks - usually foreign. To them, Madrid are fecking massive and who they've dreamed of playing for since they were 6 years old.

Can't really think of any modern world class players we've lost to them in the last 10 years (hint - we haven't had any)
We have not lost a single top player to Barca. Pique was a back up center half well behind Rio and Vidic, we were more than happy to sell him.

Ronaldo is the only top player we lost in his prime to Madrid. All of Heinze, Ruud and Chicharito went there when they became surplus to requirements here. We actually brought more Madrid players in their peak than lost to them, we literally have two in our squad currently. :lol:

People need to stop freaking out about us losing talent to Madrid because Ronaldo went there 13 years ago.

sglowrider

Would they go there now? The EPL is miles ahead of any league at the moment. There are only 11 starting positions in RM at any one time versus an EPL that's more competitive and pays a lot better?

Ole'sattheWheel

He really reminds me of Giggs tbh.
If we could make him into a full traditional winger (right footed on the RW). He'd be so much like giggs it'd be unreal.
Imagine him getting to the byline by skinning his man, then pulling it back into the box on a plate.
Right wing would be sorted for the next 10+ years with him and antony

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
We have not lost a single top player to Barca. Pique was a back up center half well behind Rio and Vidic, we were more than happy to sell him.

Ronaldo is the only top player we lost in his prime to Madrid. All of Heinze, Ruud and Chicharito went there when they became surplus to requirements here. We actually brought more Madrid players in their peak than lost to them, we literally have two in our squad currently. :lol:

People need to stop freaking out about us losing talent to Madrid because Ronaldo went there 13 years ago.
Agreed with your point on the whole, but Ruud was top scorer in La Liga and won the title with them in his first season at the club. Far from surplus to requirements. Injuries and age did catch up with him shortly after though.

Ole'sattheWheel

tbf the 'honorary mentions' section was a bit of a joke to be taken lightly, hence the tongue in cheek "won the cl with us" for pique and laughing emojis next to chicha.
dave (almost), ronaldo and becks really stick out to me. Ruud fell out with fergie and had that weird feud with cristiano, sure, but he was never surplus to requirements. Fergie always had teams with plenty of goalscorers, and ruud was the best around and in his prime (28) when madrid swept him up for cheap because he wanted out

Ole'sattheWheel

tbf the 'honorary mentions' section was a bit of a joke to be taken lightly, hence the tongue in cheek "won the cl with us" for pique and laughing emojis next to chicha.
dave (almost), ronaldo and becks really stick out to me. Ruud fell out with fergie and had that weird feud with cristiano, sure, but he was never surplus to requirements. Fergie always had teams with plenty of goalscorers, and ruud was the best around and in his prime (28) when madrid swept him up for cheap because he wanted out
I know you mentioned we've taken some of their players over the years but look at the difference
Would you say di maria was as important to us as becks/ronny/ruud/(and de gea in the alternate timeline when the fax machine works)?
Would you say casemiro or varane right now in their careers were as important to madrid as the players mentioned above were to us?
What Becks, Ronny, De Gea and Ruud were of use to use when madrid came calling for them would be like us manning Prime Zidane,

Grande

I know you mentioned we've taken some of their players over the years but look at the difference
Would you say di maria was as important to us as becks/ronny/ruud/(and de gea in the alternate timeline when the fax machine works)?
Would you say casemiro or varane right now in their careers were as important to madrid as the players mentioned above were to us?
What Becks, Ronny, De Gea and Ruud were of use to use when madrid came calling for them would be like us manning Prime Zidane,
What strange reworking of history is this? Both David Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy was flaunted and sold on Fergie’s demand because a) their form had dipped and b) he thought they where detrimental to the team. We almost hot Ronaldinho as Becks replacement, instead it was Ronaldo, and Van Nistelrooy was sold to make way for a set up of attack that would suit Ronaldo and Rooney better. It was Fergie’s wish, so yes, they were surplus to his requirements, regardless if they still played at a very level afterwards, if never quite so well as they did at their Utd peak.

De Gea was frustrated with his training set up and communication with Van Gaal, and so wanted out. In the context of the silly ‘players always leave is for Madrid’-trope, he is a player who didn’t leave us for Madrid and has stayed a Utd player for ten years.

Thom Merrilin

Greenwood has become quite underrated on here. He was generational.
Honestly, I thought he was overrated. He was good for sure but I never saw the "magic" in him that others did. I wasn't posting here while he was playing so I can't really back it up but I didn't rate him to become a superstar, more like a Rashford or Sterling level player.

Thom Merrilin

Imagine having them on either wing, though. :drool:
Wasn't he always supposed to develop into a striker? It's part of the reason I didn't rate him super highly, he was becoming a winger/striker hybrid which I didn't think was the best development path for him.

Waynne

Maybe ETH should consider Sancho to be like Silva. Free roaming midfield/attacker behind the main striker. I think he might strive in that role.
This.

Wasn't it at Dortmund that he was more dangerous and effective through the middle.

sglowrider

Giggs was a regular under Fergie from when he was 18-19 :houllier: :houllier:
Considering that he made his debut at 17, it took him a couple of seasons before he was a regular.
My memory hasn't faded that badly. I remember fans were clamouring for him to play every game and were pissed off at Fergie for holding him back

Last edited:

Marcus

Fantastic vision, incredible pace and ridiculously calm finishing. What a goal!

Bondi77

Considering that he made his debut at 17, it took him a couple of seasons before he was a regular.
In his second season he played in 38 league games and in his third he played 41. I am not including Cup games.
How many games does a player have to play in a season before you classify them as a regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.