Alex Jones the conspiracy nutter

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62427918

"He also claimed he was bankrupt despite evidence that his companies were earning about $800,000 dollars a day selling diet supplements, gun paraphernalia and survivalist equipment."

!!!!

(He is not a "nutter", he is a dishonest scammer that became very rich because of all the idiots who believe him... )
He's both. Watching the trial it is absolutely clear he is a raging narcissist who is so up his own ass he is no longer in touch with reality.

frostbite

He's both. Watching the trial it is absolutely clear he is a raging narcissist who is so up his own ass he is no longer in touch with reality.
I think it is just a in character performance, a facade. For his fans.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62427918

"He also claimed he was bankrupt despite evidence that his companies were earning about $800,000 dollars a day selling diet supplements, gun paraphernalia and survivalist equipment."

!!!!

(He is not a "nutter", he is a dishonest scammer that became very rich because of all the idiots who believe him... )
That's the gist of it. People like Alex Jones aren't nutters at all. They're soulles capitalists catering to nutters. I'm convinced Jones doesn't believe a word he says, but simply doesn't give a feck.

He may be a nutter, but not in the sense that he believes all the nutter things he's peddling.

Trequarista10

So are the text messages going to be revealed/made public?

I'd bloody love to read through them. Even leaving aside any other damning content, it would just be fascinating to see the tone of them, as it could reveal or explain the level of Jones' grift/character. It's still unclear to me if it's outright scam, if he partially believes some of it but exaggerates for business purposes, or if he's an actual loon who has even convinced himself.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Almost 47% of Americans (74M) voted for trump after 4 years of his shitshow presidency so yeah, Alex Jones knows who to target to grift the money he needs. The maga hats are proven to be that stupid so it’s no surprise that they get asked for more and more. And then when those idiots are broke they’ll blame Biden and the Libs.
It’s uncanny and scary how easily they get duped.

frostbite

Who is stupid enough to donate money to Roger Stone and to Alex Jones? If nothing else, they are both multimillionaires.

(On second thought, people give money to the church, which is usually controlled by multimillionaires, so...)

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Who is stupid enough to donate money to Roger Stone and to Alex Jones? If nothing else, they are both multimillionaires.

(On the second thought, people give money to the church, which is usually controlled by multimillionaires, so...)
People are thick.

Tarrou

Incredible how much money this guy earns for talking absolute codshit

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Texas judgement was for 2 families, while the Connecticut lawsuit is filed on behalf of 8 victims’ families and 1 first responder, so it could be much higher.
And, from what I’ve read, CT laws are more planting friendly then TX who’s had a semi official cap on punitive damages.

Green_Red

Incredible how much money this guy earns for talking absolute codshit
I read today on BBC his Infowars platform and associated websites were turning over $800K a day. That's a lot of stupid feckers.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So after all this he still has like 200 million left? Can he at least be publicly flogged? Or thrown into a tank of Piranhas?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Gotcha. I was just wondering if he was making stupid money off of using supplements as a laundry mat for “supplements”… cause his audience is on crack.
Cannot wrap my head around Infowars making 200-million-plus per annum through merch and supps. Wonder if there's some book cooking going on from dark money sources.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So are the text messages going to be revealed/made public?

I'd bloody love to read through them. Even leaving aside any other damning content, it would just be fascinating to see the tone of them, as it could reveal or explain the level of Jones' grift/character. It's still unclear to me if it's outright scam, if he partially believes some of it but exaggerates for business purposes, or if he's an actual loon who has even convinced himself.
If there's anything relevant to the Jan 6th committee nothing will be made public for a while, if ever, unless dropped during court or leaked out. My guess.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
From what I've read it seems that the jury award is many times the Texas state cap on punitive damages and so I think the likelihood is that the headline number will be reduced enormously - maybe to less than 10m, maybe far less.

Here are the relevant Texas statutes:
CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE said:
(5) "Exemplary damages" means any damages awarded as a penalty or by way of punishment but not for compensatory purposes. Exemplary damages are neither economic nor noneconomic damages. 'Exemplary damages' includes punitive damages.
and
CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE said:
Sec. 41.008. LIMITATION ON AMOUNT OF RECOVERY.
(a) In an action in which a claimant seeks recovery of damages, the trier of fact shall determine the amount of economic damages separately from the amount of other compensatory damages.
(b) Exemplary damages awarded against a defendant may not exceed an amount equal to the greater of:
(1) a) two times the amount of economic damages; plus​
b) an amount equal to any noneconomic damages found by the jury, not to exceed $750,000; or​
(2) $200,000.​
It seems to me that in the first instance the jury found Jones should pay 4.1m in compensatory damages, but that these were not economic. If they weren't economic then it seems that the maximum punitive/exemplary damages permissible under Texas law would be $750k per claimant, and $1.5m total. So Jones will eventually be on the hook for $5.6m. If it turns out that the compensatory damages were defined as economic then the maximum would be $8.2m in punitive damages and Jones would owe $12.3m.

Like, hopefully there's a way round this state cap but... well, the US justice system seems perfectly designed to let you down. I think the jury can demand whatever it wants, and this is what makes the headline, however I don't think the jury decision has the force of law. I expect we're all going to be sorely disappointed when push comes to shove.

I think the other cases are being brought in different states with different laws regarding caps, so perhaps there's far greater scope for punishment there.

edit: for some reason this post wouldn't save when I wrote it in full. Something to do with bracketed numbers followed by bracketed letters breaks the forum software. Dunno why.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Alex Jones is a scumbag, of course, but I would question if that is really something that needs to be communicated to the whole world. It has zero relevance to the case.
Anything the reinforces the fact that he's a scumbag could be seen as relevant.