Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Indeed. We desperately needed cover and competition for Shaw at left back and that’s what we’ve got. I expect he’ll improve, too.
Having some competition is benficial however it is disappointing that we didnt take the opportunity to improve on shaw or at least get an alternative who is better going forward. Hard to believe we wouldnt have beem better served getting reguillon, release clause or not

Having some competition is benficial however it is disappointing that we didnt take the opportunity to improve on shaw or at least get an alternative who is better going forward. Hard to believe we wouldnt have beem better served getting reguillon, release clause or not
I think we need to give both those players until the end of the season before we start comparing which one is better.

personally I think Shaw is a very good player, and see no reason why we need to ‘upgrade’ him. He needed competition, and experienced/ effective cover - which is what Telles gives him.

Based Adnan

Created two chances. One for Cavani on the backpost volley and the Greenwood glancing header

Defensively done okay aside from one moment where he got robbed by Coleman. Fine overall.

Kag

There weren’t many affordable (or available) left backs that would significantly improve upon Shaw, in spite of what some would have you believe.

The Reguilon clause was (and still is) a joke and the club made the correct decision to walk away.

Andersons Dietician

I thought with not having Rashford on we finally did a good job of getting or playing our LB in to space. There were a few times a ball was played through the lines for him to get on to which was great to see for a change. Something we never take advantage of.

Only real draw back with him isn’t he isn’t as athletic or good at driving the ball forward If he had Shaws athleticism then he’d be a proper weapon.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t rate him much, but I think he played well yesterday. Didn’t think it was a poor game at all.

Matthew84!

I must be one of the very few who thinks he's been very poor so far, he's good at crossing and takes corners but been very poor at the defending part but still very early in his career here.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Think he's still getting used to the higher tempo but I think he will come good in the end, meaning he can be as good as Shaw so whoever forms better and style of play we need might start for us, if anything a decent squad player who can push Shaw a bit more and we all know he's the player who needs that..

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Put in a few good corners and crosses, otherwise I didn't really notice him all that much in either a positive or negative sense.

That sums up most of his performances to be honest. I'm struggling to really know how to rate him and what his strengths and weaknesses really are.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think he’s a very decent squad option and has taken Shaw up a level. He’s going to improve as well. Don’t think he’s special but he’s a very good buy at that price.

Andersons Dietician

I must be one of the very few who thinks he's been very poor so far, he's good at crossing and takes corners but been very poor at the defending part but still very early in his career here.
Just got to come to terms that the CAF rates fullbacks on ability to cross. If you’re good at that you’re the best fullback in the world. Nothing else matters here.

SAFMUTD

I dont understand why there's so much hate for him around here, he's a good player to have as a squad alternative and for sure is pushing Shaw. 7/10 signing until now.

Lukinho

I dont understand why there's so much hate for him around here, he's a good player to have as a squad alternative and for sure is pushing Shaw. 7/10 signing until now.
I also don’t understand it. He is a new player in probably the best league in the world. Every time he played he played solid or good. Hasn’t done anything wrong so far.

arnie_ni

Not sure what I missed. Solid performance from our back up left back. Will start 20 odd games a season allowing us to rest Shaw and will put in capable performances. Exactly what he was bought for

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bit soft. Needs to be braver with and without the ball. He gets a drab 6/10 so far from me but it's very early days.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I think you learn a lot about defenders when they make a mistake. It’s important that when Telles eventually does make a mistake (which he will) to see how he actually recovers from that be it in the same game or in different moments towards the end. He’s technically better than Shaw and he has come in and generally been solid. How he reacts to a mistake will make or break him at United.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I actually think he is very good.

Ole didnt bring him to be a number 1 LB for 13 million, he bought him to address a deficit we had in the squad which is a crosser from deep from the left hand channel particularly a striker like Cavani.

He has defensive weaknesses to his game but that's what makes him a good rotational player with Shaw - Shaw has started to improve his attacking play and Telles will hopefully improve some of him defensive play learning a bit from shaw.

I think Ole is doing a great job adding a balance to our squad.

Who do you guys think we will target to be the RB version of him?

A player who consistently whips some balls in to the box without fail; an opposite to Wan Bissaka so two players can learn a bit from each other.

Mike Smalling

Had a few bad moments defensively yesterday, but could have had a couple of assists as well.

Think he has been a solid addition in a spot, where we lacked a proper back-up. Seems to have a good mentality as well. I like him.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I don't understand why he was taken off. He was the only player getting the ball into the box, we needed more bodies in there.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Shaw had more fight in him today, but he better stay fit anyway.

We'll need him on different type of games.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Shaw had more fight in him today, but he better stay fit anyway.

We'll need him on different type of games.
Thought Shaw came on and looked worse than this lad at pretty much everything.

Wonder why he came off.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Thought Shaw came on and looked worse than this lad at pretty much everything.

Wonder why he came off.
Picked a knock in the 1st half, Ole didn't risked and tbh Shaw wasn't terrible. Often pushed forward.

Banana Republic

I don't understand why he was taken off. .......
His crossing was going to continue to be ineffective.
A change of tactics down the left.
He can cross but doesn’t look to be much of a defender and with Traore posing a threat, he might have become a liability.
Notice how Traore was silenced, once Luke Shaw came on.

El Jefe

Is there a full back more unwilling to run into space or overlap than Telles? Looks painfully average to me and looks more like an option to use when Shaw is rested/injured rather than actual competition.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't understand why he was taken off. He was the only player getting the ball into the box, we needed more bodies in there.
Just getting the ball in the box isn’t very useful when they have three centre backs against 1 striker. It means we surrender possession without creating a good chance. He wasn’t picking men out and he wasn’t creating a problem for the defenders. And they setup so that he would get the most time on the ball while they crowded the centre, so it played a big role in our uninspired first half. Shaw combined with the attackers much better.

Mcking

His crossing was going to continue to be ineffective.
A change of tactics down the left.
He can cross but doesn’t look to be much of a defender and with Traore posing a threat, he might have become a liability.
Notice how Traore was silenced, once Luke Shaw came on.
Think he picked up a knock. One Wolves player left one on him in that first half. Probably couldn't recover.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Picked a knock in the 1st half, Ole didn't risked and tbh Shaw wasn't terrible. Often pushed forward.
Ah.

Yeah, but his passing was really poor and laboured. I thought the amount of space he had, he did very little with it.

His tackle on adama was very good though. He is far superior defensively.

Raven

He's a good player but he's nowhere near Shaw's level I don't think. Great to have competent LB cover though.

LS17

I hope there’s another level to him, you can see why the club were pressing hard to get him as cheap as possible. I always wondered just how much his set piece stats skewered his ability in game.
Shaw on a complete other level to him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ah.

Yeah, but his passing was really poor and laboured. I thought the amount of space he had, he did very little with it.

His tackle on adama was very good though. He is far superior defensively.
Yup. Even Bruno was misplacing pass after pass.

Think Ole gave the lads some time to rest and didn't imposed intense training tempo this time. Wolves had one day less to rest and looked just as energetic as us.

Andersons Dietician

Spam Crossing from deep, hopefully something will come off. This seems to be his mo in every game. Reminds me of Valencia from the Jose years where he’d just spam crap floated diagonals in from just beyond the half way line.

He doesn’t look physically up to this league.

Castia

Not impressed so far, he came with a reputation as being one of the top attacking full backs in Europe but looks like he can’t beat his man, his dribbling is non-existent. He puts in a semi-decent cross but you need more than that.

Shaw looks much better even going forward

spiriticon

His crossing has been disappointing. It seems any wide player who joins us lose their ability to cross properly

Godfather

His crossing has been disappointing. It seems any wide player who joins us lose their ability to cross properly
It hasn't been top notch but consider we have no targets in the middle. Today whenever Telles crossed a ball we only had Cavani in the box. Against 3 or even 4 defenders. It's baffling.

Ekeke

What are you expecting him to do when Rashford passes him the ball on the run at the byline? He's going to try and cross it in and we tend to have 1 good target in the box, and thats when Cavani is playing. 0 when he isnt. Usually you'd want a couple of targets against a Back 3

He put some decent balls in but not the best he can do, as hes done better with his corners this season often finding one of our players.

Godfather

What are you expecting him to do when Rashford passes him the ball on the run at the byline? He's going to try and cross it in and we tend to have 1 good target in the box, and thats when Cavani is playing. 0 when he isnt. Usually you'd want a couple of targets against a Back 3

He put some decent balls in but not the best he can do, as hes done better with his corners this season often finding one of our players.
I agree. We have 3 or 4 players on the left byline playing their little one twos that lead to absolutely nothing until Telles crosses the ball in the box where only Cavani is against 3 or 4 defenders. Our system sucks against deep sitting sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.