5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Hargreaves was derailed by his bad knees, he wasn't a flop. He was very instrumental in the 08 CL final, I don't think we would have gone toe to toe with Chelsea's midfield without his quality.
He was a complete and total flop. He was dropped after playing in a midfield 3 before injury problems. He made a "comeback" as a fullback and side midfielder for a few games, while battling his injuries.

He scored a nice freekick or two

Ekeke

All I can say about Owen Hargreaves is we would not have won the Champions league and Prem league without him. He also started in the final against Chelsea. He is someone we could do with in today's team to be honest. No way a flop.
Di maria is what you call a flop. Not Hargreaves.
You cant possibly know that. And if he was available now he'd be on the bench

Borden

He was a complete and total flop. He was dropped after playing in a midfield 3 before injury problems. He made a "comeback" as a fullback and side midfielder for a few games, while battling his injuries.

In 2007/08? I thought he was very good. Was gutted when all the injuries wrecked him.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

How can you be first choice in a double winning season and be a 'total flop'?

Nonsense.

Ekeke

How can you be first choice in a double winning season and be a 'total flop'?

Nonsense.
He was bought as an expensive CM (at the time) to improve on Carrick & Scholes. He played CM at the start of the season, we went to 3 in midfield. He was dropped after that initial run of games in a midfield 3. I dont remember if we changed tactics back to 2 CMs, that may or may not have been the case. But he wasnt starting in CM anymore, we were back to Scholes and Carrick. Carrick played 31 times, Scholes 24 times including an injury from October till Jan.

Hargreaves played RB and in wide midfield for several games. Which position was he first choice? He played 23 games with a bunch of them starting in CM at the start. I dont have the stats, maybe someone can find them somewhere. But probably a good 7-8 games in that midfield 3 at the start of the season. So he had maybe 15 games between RB, LM and RM right? So which one was he first choice?

Wes Brown played 36 games that season so he was first choice RB. Giggs played 31 times, Ronaldo 34 and Nani 26. Was Giggs playing CM at that point? I honestly dont remember. But even if we look at just Nani and Ronaldo they played more games in wide positions than Hargreaves that season.

So if he wasnt first choice CM, RB or in a wide midfield role where was he first choice that season?

He had a run of games where he filled in and did a job. He scored a nice freekick against Arsenal. He did not however cement a place as a CM like we bought him for

RedDevil@84

So has everyone lost faith in him coming good?
I haven't.
We haven't seen him play in the new system and under Ole. It doesn't really matter if he reaches the heights he did at Arsenal. But I am excited and hopeful for him to do well.
Looking forward to it, much more than I am looking forward for Lukaku to fit in the new system

0le

I haven't.
We haven't seen him play in the new system and under Ole. It doesn't really matter if he reaches the heights he did at Arsenal. But I am excited and hopeful for him to do well.
Looking forward to it, much more than I am looking forward for Lukaku to fit in the new system
I think the problem with Sanchez was that he was signed to be an instant hit and he hasn't done that at all. I disagree when you say it doesn't matter if he fails tor each his Arsenal form. This is because he is the highest paid player at the club and therefore should be one of our best players.

Ekeke

Okay here we go, found something :

So 10 starts in the league, all in CM and DM positions

5 starts in the Champion League split between mostly the right side

So he was first choice nowhere.

He filled in some gaps after having an initial run in a 3 man midfield. I'm not saying he didnt contribute to us winning the double, but for a player we chased for over a year to be an upgrade in CM he wasnt that at all. And of course I remember all the hype about him on here and elsewhere, as being England's best player and being better than Carrick thats why we should buy him.

We tried him there in CM, he was outperformed by Scholes and Carrick, and imo Fletcher although Fletch started only 3 games in CM in the league and 5 in the champions league, which is actually overall less than Hargreaves that season.

He was a squad player that season who came in for a couple of games in different positions, but not the one we bought him to play

RedDevil@84

I think the problem with Sanchez was that he was signed to be an instant hit and he hasn't done that at all. I disagree when you say it doesn't matter if he fails tor each his Arsenal form. This is because he is the highest paid player at the club and therefore should be one of our best players.
I would definitely want him to reach his Arsenal form, but with his age and now recurring injuries, I feel it might be unlikely. I am just trying to convince myself, I guess :)
In terms of wages, yes, he should be up there with the best in the team. I agree.

red4ever 79

So has everyone lost faith in him coming good?
Yes I have. When was his last really good game?. He was poor for Arsenal as well in his final 6 months. Ok we might get the occasional touch of class from him. But on those wages he should be delivering top top class performances week in week out. He looks no where near capable of doing that. However willing to cut him slack and see if under Ole he can get some form back but will only be patient until the summer.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I haven't.
Me neither. I genuinely still have faith that he will become a beast for us. We'll it's more of a hope at this stage but still!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes I have. When was his last really good game?. He was poor for Arsenal as well in his final 6 months. Ok we might get the occasional touch of class from him. But on those wages he should be delivering top top class performances week in week out. He looks no where near capable of doing that. However willing to cut him slack and see if under Ole he can get some form back but will only be patient until the summer.
He has been cursed with injury this season though.

Red Devil Rising

When he's match fit, I feel he'll flourish under Ole's fast, attacking, high energy way of playing. Could do a job on the right.

Litch

If Ole can get Sanchez playing anything like the Arsenal player, could make a big difference to our season....

Ekeke

As for Sanchez I think it would be strange if he didnt improve under Ole like our other attackers. I think he can do better than Lingard and Mata and one of his better seasons at Arsenal he played 9 or 10 league games on the right and go into the box from there. I think with some more confidence to take some shots himself, instead of usually just looking to play teammates in and he can look the same player he was at Arsenal.

Foxbatt

hargreaves and Ando were brilliant when they played together in midfield. He was played on the right for tactical reasons and came into the middle when Scholes was tired. He was a brilliant midfield player who was one of the quickest and had a good footballing brain too. Injuries destroyed him. The only thing he could not do was pass. His passing was poor for someone who played for Bayern.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was bought as an expensive CM (at the time) to improve on Carrick & Scholes. He played CM at the start of the season, we went to 3 in midfield. He was dropped after that initial run of games in a midfield 3. I dont remember if we changed tactics back to 2 CMs, that may or may not have been the case. But he wasnt starting in CM anymore, we were back to Scholes and Carrick. Carrick played 31 times, Scholes 24 times including an injury from October till Jan.

Hargreaves played RB and in wide midfield for several games. Which position was he first choice? He played 23 games with a bunch of them starting in CM at the start. I dont have the stats, maybe someone can find them somewhere. But probably a good 7-8 games in that midfield 3 at the start of the season. So he had maybe 15 games between RB, LM and RM right? So which one was he first choice?

Wes Brown played 36 games that season so he was first choice RB. Giggs played 31 times, Ronaldo 34 and Nani 26. Was Giggs playing CM at that point? I honestly dont remember. But even if we look at just Nani and Ronaldo they played more games in wide positions than Hargreaves that season.

So if he wasnt first choice CM, RB or in a wide midfield role where was he first choice that season?

He had a run of games where he filled in and did a job. He scored a nice freekick against Arsenal. He did not however cement a place as a CM like we bought him for
I do agree with the majority of what you say, but he did do well enough on the right and was important enough to our CL campaign that it's a bit harsh to call him a complete and total flop.

hargreaves and Ando were brilliant when they played together in midfield. He was played on the right for tactical reasons and came into the middle when Scholes was tired. He was a brilliant midfield player who was one of the quickest and had a good footballing brain too. Injuries destroyed him. The only thing he could not do was pass. His passing was poor for someone who played for Bayern.
It was a combination that was very good at destroying the opposition's control and ability to play through their midfield, but it also left us with not much control or playmaking coming from our midfield. That turned the matches more into a battle of individuals, which worked for us because we had Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez in front of them and the worlds best defence behind them, but I wouldn't really say that they were a brilliant midfield pairing.

Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would of been my MOTM had it not been for Pogba's boss like performance in the second half. That goal was one of the sweetest we've scored this season

el3mel

Great goal that. Hopefully he can now redeem his United career and kick on from here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

No, he wasn't a flop. He was excellent in that 2008/2009 season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Needs to play in central areas.

Don’t think he can match top full backs physically.

Womp

idiot
Was clearly unfit, but was a good performance. His touch was a lot better than we've seen from him since coming here, his link-up play was good and the goal was top class. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully.

0le

I am surprised people thought it was a good performance. I didn't see anything in there that convinced me we should keep him.

Josh 76

Would of been my MOTM had it not been for Pogba's boss like performance in the second half. That goal was one of the sweetest we've scored this season
He played ok. Scored a good goal. But to say he was close to being man of match is going over board.
P.s never saw him beat a man today. Pace and confidence is long gone.

Devil may care

Good finish on the goal but he hasn't got the pace or legs to be playing wide now, he really didn't cause Maitland-Niles any trouble.

thepolice123

Showed his clever movement for the goal today. When Lukaku received the ball he anticipated the Arsenal backline to push up and punished them with a timed run in. Good composure for the finish too.

It the kind of run and finish you wouldn't expect Martial to make. He will present a healthy problem to the team once he gets himself back inform.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Very well taken goal. Sanchez just comes alive when he's around the edge of the box. I hope he stays away from the wing.

Member 115509

Great finish for his goal, his overall performance wasn't too special, but hopefully the goal was enough to build his confidence and he can kick on from here.

Roboc7

Well taken goal but he was poor, we should make moving him on in the summer a big priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.