g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He'd have probably got a sustained run in the side only for injury which is probably unlikely to happen now unless Antony's form falls of a cliff again but would like to think he'll get some chances but he's going to have to really impress when he comes on. United's xmas schedule isn't as busy as it could be so I think he'll struggle to get game time before the year is out. I can see Fernandes been used in Antony's position with Eriksen & Mount coming back into the squad.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Diallo can do and he deserves his chance. Antony isn't shooting the lights out either

OverratedOpinion

On the workrate and physicality talk, I'll offer my opinion because I saw pretty much every performance of his at Sunderland. His loan was one of the easiest to keep up with because not only do Sunderland upload the full 90 minutes of all their games to their YouTube channel, this channel - https://www.youtube.com/@worldfootballhighlight/videos - made in depth highlight videos of all his performances. Not your typical highlight videos that leave out a players mistakes. Everything is included, from his touches to his off the ball movement to his pressing and defensive positioning.

Basically, he really bulked up and ended up dealing with the physicality of the league well, and he showed a good work ethic. There were times where he'd lose the ball cheaply and, instead of going to win it back, he'd throw a strop, but, for the most part, he was very intense with his pressing, did well at supporting his full back when on the right, and tracked back to help the central midfield when playing centrally. Personally, I wouldn't worry about his strops because I think that was partly the result of he himself thinking he was Sunderlands best player whereas, here, I don't think he'd have that attitude as he'd know he isn't one of our best.

I don't know how the injury is going to impact him upon his return but, if he gets back to the level he showed last year, I definitely think he can make a positive contribution. He wouldn't have looked out of place in terms of the intensity the likes of Garnacho, Hojlund and Antony showed against Chelsea for example.
Was he press resistant?

saik

See all these excuses you got for Anthony who is on his second year here...keep the same energy for Amad. Its crazy that people can back very average players like Anthony, Rashford or Mctominay and then expect others to hit the ground running like Amad or Mount or Amrabat. Just keep the same energy when their chances come their way.
Not excuses. Just calling a good performance when I see one. You can see me criticising Rashford in his thread very often. I also did criticise Antony earlier this season fearing he may not come good. I'm not as partial to some players as you seem to think I am.

Ekeke

Amad's problem like Pellistri is going to be physical. He needs to pass that test. If he can come through that then his technical skills can be very effective.
Thats not Pellistri's problem. He has a lack of end product, Amad showed last season theres goals and assists at the end of his good play. Pellistri needs to go out and show the same

Glorio

I think he'll get "sustained" sub appearances simply because Antony doesn't typically complete 90 mins.
One complication though is that Rashford is now considered an option there, and being English, if he stays out of the team for very long, the noise from the press will grow steadily.

He's also an option for Bruno but we all know that guy is an energiser bunny!

IncyWincySpider

Last time I can really remember seeing him play he was scoring against Milan under Ole. I'm looking forward to seeing how he's developed. Maybe a few minutes against Bournemouth?

Yagami

Good post resistant
You laugh but we are crying out for those types of players. Dude, if we one day eventually build a team consisting of these players, all of us will be like kids on Christmas day, not just me.

laughtersassassin

Shame the Wigan game is in Jan because he won't get a chance till then and since it's Jan we'll probably plan him out.

Terrible timing with injuries for him

OverratedOpinion

You laugh but we are crying out for those types of players. Dude, if we one day eventually build a team consisting of these players, all of us will be like kids on Christmas day, not just me.
You understand why people laugh at you surely?

You obsessively focus on one flaw in a team that is literally full of problems to the point that it becomes a caricature.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You understand why people laugh at you surely?

You obsessively focus on one flaw in a team that is literally full of problems to the point that it becomes a caricature.
Of course I do. The problem is that one flaw, unlike many, has been an issue for over a decade. It's the one flaw we've never actually attempted to address. Name any other and, even if we haven't fixed the issue, we've attempted to.

When we do prioritise that issue, we won't be perfect because, as I've said, it's not the be all and end all, but we'll be soooooooooooo much better off for it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
SYS. Save your self Amad. Get a loan or something in Jan mate.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I agree with you mate, but you talk about them all the time.

TempusFugit

Our great hope at RW. If he doesn't make it we're going to be paying alot of money for another RW in the next year or two.

lex talionis

I’d like to see Amad given a chance. Not a Donny Van De Beek 85th minute cameo chance, but a proper run of 5-6 matches to see what’s he all about. If that’s too much to ask then let the man go and carve out a decent career somewhere.

OverratedOpinion

Of course I do. The problem is that one flaw, unlike many, has been an issue for over a decade. It's the one flaw we've never actually attempted to address. Name any other and, even if we haven't fixed the issue, we've attempted to.

When we do prioritise that issue, we won't be perfect because, as I've said, it's not the be all and end all, but we'll be soooooooooooo much better off for it.
Reasonable

AndySmith1990

He'll be hyped up like Mainoo and everyone will want him to immediately start games, because we're all desperate to see the back of the regulars in the team

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree with you mate, but you talk about them all the time.
I know... I'm desperate :lol:

What makes it worse is that I genuinely thought ten Hag would be the one to bring in these types of players. So, seeing who he actually brought in made it even worse compared to previous managers.
Reasonable
I do think Amad will face the same struggles as Antony and, to a lesser extent, Garnacho do because he thrives on linking up with other technical players rather than beating them through his dribbling alone. His best stuff on the right last year was when he had an attacking full back overlapping in Hume and Patrick Roberts drifting over to interchange with him.

You see how we play and, when our wide players have it, they're usually isolated and expected to beat a player or two by themselves before putting a ball into the box. If we throw Amad into the same setup, I can see him putting in performances similar to Antony.

I still have hope for him, though, and am excited to see him play for us because I really enjoyed his performances last year. I'm just not expecting anything amazing in this current setup.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The worst thing about it is that it is just common sense given that every team, including our own, places such a huge emphasis on pressing. If every team is being instructed to press, you can’t help but wonder why we haven’t yet had the bright idea to try to resist that press!

Our manager literally punishes his players and makes them run 13km for not running enough and closing people down, yet he seemingly doesn’t have a plan for what McTominay and Bruno will do when they themselves are being closed down. There only seems to be a concern that our defenders, and fecking goalkeeper, can evade a press. If they can’t do that, they’re out. As for the rest…

Yagami

Good post resistant
The worst thing about it is that it is just common sense given that every team, including our own, places such a huge emphasis on pressing. If every team is being instructed to press, you can’t help but wonder why we haven’t yet had the bright idea to try to resist that press!

Our manager literally punishes his players and makes them run 13km for not running enough and closing people down, yet he seemingly doesn’t have a plan for what McTominay and Bruno will do when they themselves are being closed down. There only seems to be a concern that our defenders, and fecking goalkeeper, can evade a press. If they can’t do that, they’re out. As for the rest…
We all saw, not only the reaction to watching someone like Mainoo in midfield from our fanbase, but the impact it had on the team as a whole. No, he alone didn't change us into a great team because we still had/have a lot of issues, but his composure under pressure and ability to play in tight spaces just naturally elevated our general game in terms of building it out from the back. That was a teenager playing his first ever games at senior level. Now imagine if we brought in multiple players of this ilk but closer to their prime in all different positions. We'd be giving ourselves a great platform to build off of. Like Arsenal under Wenger after 2006, even if we were lacking in other areas to truly compete at the top, we'd at least have the foundations of a good football team. We wouldn't be bored silly like the majority of this past decade when it came to watching us.

It is strange that we don't prioritise them for the first team for multiple reasons. You already pointed out two with the everyone presses point, and the fact that we actually do prioritise it for our back 5, which, on the one hand is great that we value it there, but makes it even weirder that we don't elsewhere. Like, our most composed players in possession are probably Onana, Shaw and Martinez, with Maguire and AWB being competent at their best, too. Then, you move forwards to our midfield and attack, and it's filled with lightweights.

The other reason it's so strange, and I've said this a few times, is that, for our youth teams, we do prioritise these types of players! In the past, I don't know, 8 years, I've noticed we've made it a priority to recruit talents who showcase press resistant attributes, and have made such players a focal point of our youth teams. Yet we still neglect them at senior level. It honestly baffles me.

Marwood

He's probably going AFCON right?
I hope not. After missing half a season it seems a bit much to immediately go off to an international tournament once fit. Especially when you consider his previous injury record as well.

At some point he has to get his Manchester United career going.

Lyng

While that is spot on, even on here you have a ton of people who think even the idea of press resistance is some sort of hipster bullshit.
And then at the same time they wonder why we keep losing the ball cheaply.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Hopefully, he'll remain fit till the end of the season and we can find out his actual quality. With the way things go, the less a player plays, the better he gets. The suspense is only building up his reputation. It would save us a lot of money and pain if he can turn out to be good for us. We have spent close to a Gbp 200m on four right wingers in the last 2-3 seasons and he is our last remaining hope.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
While that is spot on, even on here you have a ton of people who think even the idea of press resistance is some sort of hipster bullshit.
And then at the same time they wonder why we keep losing the ball cheaply.
The bullshit is when people (including some in this thread) think footballers exist in binary states of a) press resistant and b) not press resistant. We all know McT isn’t good enough on the ball. It isn’t some great insight to categorise him as b) not press resistant. We also know the manager wanted to move him on in the summer, because he isn’t good enough on the ball. And he’s only getting games now because he’s one of only two players in our squad who is scoring regularly.

Diallo is a good footballer and will hopefully improve our team. But again, proclaiming that he is b) not press resistant isn’t some amazing insight. And he has plenty of other qualities that are important too. His goal scoring record at Sunderland is probably the most important, considering how goal shy we are this season.

lex talionis

That we’ve spent 200m on four right wingers, none of whom may be good enough for the PL, boggles the mind.

Of the four, Amad intrigues me the most. When, someday, he’s fit I’d like to see him get a run of 6-8 games and not the moronic 85th minute cameos.

Lyng

The bullshit is when people (including some in this thread) think footballers exist in binary states of a) press resistant and b) not press resistant. We all know McT isn’t good enough on the ball. It isn’t some great insight to categorise him as b) not press resistant. We also know the manager wanted to move him on in the summer, because he isn’t good enough on the ball. And he’s only getting games now because he’s one of only two players in our squad who is scoring regularly.

Diallo is a good footballer and will hopefully improve our team. But again, proclaiming that he is b) not press resistant isn’t some amazing insight. And he has plenty of other qualities that are important too. His goal scoring record at Sunderland is probably the most important, considering how goal shy we are this season.
It is indeed not some great insight. Yet people push against this term, despite it being the best way to describe how a player handles being under pressure while having the ball.
The issue is we have to many on our team who are b.
Bruno our main creative force is extremely NOT press resistant. The same goes for someone like Eriksen. Now you have two of our mainstays, before Eriksens injury, in our midfield who crumble under pressure, in a league where the pressing is extremely intens.
I dont think its a problem when Bruno is the 10 as long as we have midfielders who can cope with the pressure, which is also why Kobbie looks like such star already.

Id argue Diallo is more press resistant than Antony, especially after he has bulked up. He is composed on the ball and doesnt treat it like a hot potato.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What the hell has happened in this thread :lol:

This must be the most active performance thread for a player that hasn't actually played a single minute!

It's now just disintegrated into random chat!

CallyRed

This must be the most active performance thread for a player that hasn't actually played a single minute!

You tell em Champ

FerociousCorgis

i mean the sancho thread is pretty active considering he has been on his little temper tantrum fit. I see nothing wrong with people excited for amad coming back. Hes a talented youngster who can help out in the attack hopefully. Why shouldnt people be excited for it

DanClancy

I think he'll get chances from the bench even if Antony is playing well. He wont be playing 90 mins every week
He's definitely going to get his chance after watching Antony the last 2 games.