5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The big concern with Amad has always been his physicality. I think technically he’s fantastic and clearly he has the ability to get goals and assists. The issue is in previous first team appearances he’s looked a little slow and because of his frame he’s too easy to push off the ball. I’m hoping that with his loan last season that’s helped him adjust to men’s football and he can start to showcase his talent.
He did add upper body muscle mass towards 2nd half of his stint at Sunderland. And it was obvious during the pre-season.
Would have lost it all with this layoff

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He did add upper body muscle mass towards 2nd half of his stint at Sunderland. And it was obvious during the pre-season.
Yep that’s the thing in football (and in life) talent, even hard work are only part of the equation. You also need a good slice of luck. If Amad had been fit from pre-season I imagine he would have had a massive opportunity to take that RW for himself but that injury has been a significant blow to his chances. However, he still has a chance this season to make an impact. Antony is not a terrible player and has played better in recent weeks but the reality is his end product is just nowhere near good enough at the moment. If Amad can take his chances, work hard, there’s still an open spot in the team for him.

lex talionis

There’s a superb footballer inside that tiny body of Amad. Rashford has proven that size and athleticism alone doesn’t guarantee you success in the PL.

flameinthesun

I think the big positive with him is how dominant he was in the championship which should hopefully positively point to him being able to hold his own in the prem. Along with him hopefully putting on a bit more muscle I am fairly confident that he could break into the team.

Ekeke

The big concern with Amad has always been his physicality. I think technically he’s fantastic and clearly he has the ability to get goals and assists. The issue is in previous first team appearances he’s looked a little slow and because of his frame he’s too easy to push off the ball. I’m hoping that with his loan last season that’s helped him adjust to men’s football and he can start to showcase his talent.

I think its more of a confidence thing and he would have had it if not for the injury after his great goalscoring season on loan. Now he might take a bit to get going which is unlucky for him. Mata and Fred are two examples of players who were able to play at premier league level despite being fairly weak. And they were able to do it in central areas where the bigger bodies tend to play. So I think itll be far more down to mentality than physicality. The attitude to press and take players on, or dare to have a shot.

AB_89

Its a bit funny how much we overrate our players until we crucify them.
I think in this case there is genuine reason for the optimism around Amad after his loan at Sunderland. He was very impressive in a tough league and returned 14 goals and 4 assists.

He won't be a world beater overnight but he could have a meaningful contribution over the remainder of the season, especially given the amount of games still to be played.

DanClancy

He'd have probably got a sustained run in the side only for injury which is probably unlikely to happen now unless Antony's form falls of a cliff again but would like to think he'll get some chances but he's going to have to really impress when he comes on. United's xmas schedule isn't as busy as it could be so I think he'll struggle to get game time before the year is out. I can see Fernandes been used in Antony's position with Eriksen & Mount coming back into the squad.

Ekeke

He'd have probably got a sustained run in the side only for injury which is probably unlikely to happen now unless Antony's form falls of a cliff again but would like to think he'll get some chances but he's going to have to really impress when he comes on. United's xmas schedule isn't as busy as it could be so I think he'll struggle to get game time before the year is out. I can see Fernandes been used in Antony's position with Eriksen & Mount coming back into the squad.
I think he'll get chances from the bench even if Antony is playing well. He wont be playing 90 mins every week

DanClancy

I think he'll get chances from the bench even if Antony is playing well. He wont be playing 90 mins every week
I hope you're right but Mount is nearly back and Eriksen isn't too far away so they'll need games I just think Fernandes will be pushed further forward at times. If United are 3-0 up in any of the games over xmas then he's more likely to get a chance thats unlikely.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yep that’s the thing in football (and in life) talent, even hard work are only part of the equation. You also need a good slice of luck. If Amad had been fit from pre-season I imagine he would have had a massive opportunity to take that RW for himself but that injury has been a significant blow to his chances. However, he still has a chance this season to make an impact. Antony is not a terrible player and has played better in recent weeks but the reality is his end product is just nowhere near good enough at the moment. If Amad can take his chances, work hard, there’s still an open spot in the team for him.
Agree. Amad has had some shit luck -- injured twice now during two different pre-seasons.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great to have him back fit. Will take time to work his way back in, and Antony has found some form finally so it'll be nice to be able to push each other too. If both can he decent options at least, it makes a massive difference.

OverratedOpinion

There’s a superb footballer inside that tiny body of Amad. Rashford has proven that size and athleticism alone doesn’t guarantee you success in the PL.
Your general point is true, slight players can do brilliantly in any league and Amad is also deceptively strong and aggressive.

But 1 Rashford has had a ton of success in the Premier League and 2 if Rashford used his physicality and athleticism better he may not he having the struggles he is currently.

Marwood

How’s his engine? I know he’s technically gifted but is he a proper modern forward or another Martial / Rashford / Sancho type who coasts off the ball. With Hojlund, Bruno, Antony and Garnacho (still needs to improve) our front four has the potential to really disrupt opponents in their own half and any substitute or replacement needs imo to match that intensity.
I think that's his weakness. He waits for the ball from what I've seen. Could do with ramping up his aggression.

next_number_seven

I'm really excited to see him play.
He's never really played for us, just a few appearances a couple of years ago.

He's excellent technically and has a good brain and spatial awareness.

He lacks a bit of physicality and a burst of pace but is definitely not slow.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him take Antony's position after Christmas.

Before then, I think he'll be brilliant off the bench. Hit a few nice diagonal balls to Højlund

arthurka

I think in this case there is genuine reason for the optimism around Amad after his loan at Sunderland. He was very impressive in a tough league and returned 14 goals and 4 assists.

He won't be a world beater overnight but he could have a meaningful contribution over the remainder of the season, especially given the amount of games still to be played.
Not saying he won't just saying we are completely OTT when it comes to our players. On both ends of the spectrum.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was also pretty integral to their counterattacking, he's deceptively quick.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not saying he won't just saying we are completely OTT when it comes to our players. On both ends of the spectrum.
Aye, people need to temper their expectations a bit, and that's coming from someone who watches the academy and does tend to get excited about the youth players we have. He is very, very talented but some players do take their time to find their feet and some never find their feet at all. That being said, Amad's form for Sunderland should give people a lot of optimism, he was very good. Saw him live twice last season and everyone I was with agreed he was by far the most dangerous player on the pitch both games.

next_number_seven

Aye, people need to temper their expectations a bit, and that's coming from someone who watches the academy and does tend to get excited about the youth players we have. He is very, very talented but some players do take their time to find their feet and some never find their feet at all. That being said, Amad's form for Sunderland should give people a lot of optimism, he was very good. Saw him live twice last season and everyone I was with agreed he was by far the most dangerous player on the pitch both games.
His performances with Sunderland are real reasons for optimism though.

It's his decision making and spatial awareness I like, as well as the exquisite technical abilities.

He'll probably need time to learn all the pressing tactics although I guess he's been in team meetings so has some knowledge.

tomaldinho1

Good option to come off the bench and cause some wreck
I think this is how ETH sees him this season and, to be honest, how the caf should see him.

Think of that Nathan Tella who used to play Soton/Burnley, he scored a few more goals than Amad last year in Championship in a similar role. He's a couple of years older but it is a big step us in to the PL, especially if we aren't playing particularly well as a team. This season he should get lots of minutes from the bench and we'll have a glimpse of what he could be and if he hits the ground running then great, let him compete for the starting spot but we shouldn't really expect that right away.

Borninthe80ts

I think the most important step for Amad to take is the mental one. He has all the skills to make it at the top of the game but I feel he has been a little timid at times. Of course this is understandable, young, introverted personality. I’d like him to really take the challenge on of imposing himself and being decisive. He did it for at a lower level and I believe he can make the leap.

Giggsy13

I think the most important step for Amad to take is the mental one. He has all the skills to make it at the top of the game but I feel he has been a little timid at times. Of course this is understandable, young, introverted personality. I’d like him to really take the challenge on of imposing himself and being decisive. He did it for at a lower level and I believe he can make the leap.
This is an excellent point. Can’t think of where I read it but there was an article that came out on Amad earlier this year and one of our scouts mentioned that many of his issues are confidence related including as you mentioned being timid and introverted. While I’m happy to see him get some playing time under ten Hag, it may be more beneficial for his development if he had another loan spell. Perhaps Sunderland or one of Ipswich or Middlesbrough where he’ll have familiarity with Carrick and McKenna. He has a bright future though, not sure many of us thought that a few years ago.

greater wall

Amad's problem like Pellistri is going to be physical. He needs to pass that test. If he can come through that then his technical skills can be very effective.

Borninthe80ts

This is an excellent point. Can’t think of where I read it but there was an article that came out on Amad earlier this year and one of our scouts mentioned that many of his issues are confidence related including as you mentioned being timid and introverted. While I’m happy to see him get some playing time under ten Hag, it may be more beneficial for his development if he had another loan spell. Perhaps Sunderland or one of Ipswich or Middlesbrough where he’ll have familiarity with Carrick and McKenna. He has a bright future though, not sure many of us thought that a few years ago.
Appreciated and it’s nice to know I’m not just seeing things with him. At a level where he is clearly the best player it’s no issue as we have seen him perform well but you can see the approach was different when given a chance. The fear of failure can be strong. I can see why you say loan him out as games builds confidence and form but I really want him to find that here. I think with him it’ll be like Mainoo in that people will see the quality above anything when it clicks. An it’ll be that quick. An assist, or goal then it will flow I hope. Love his unpredictable nature.

flameinthesun

It's like going from middle weight division to a super middle weight division. They are quicker and can hit harder.
We should always be cautious with anyone stepping up, however, if Amad was not a United player and in the summer we were linked with him, a player who scored 14 goals from the wing at sunderland, was by far their best player and one of the best players in the championship at the age of 20 with his flair, passing and dribbling, I think most people would be very excited about signing him. So I think the excitement is justified in his case. The question for me is whether he has what it takes to wrestle the RW spot from Antony or just end up a squad player. In terms of physicality, based on his season in the championship at worse he'll be no different to Antony physically.

swissgenius

My first post in Amad's thread this year and can't believe it's to defend Antony here. Its shite like this that makes me think people really don't watch the full game. Antony had a good game against Chelsea. Certainly his best performance for us in my view and that comes after a good performance against Gala.
Calling other opinions shite won't make your own statement more true.
Watched the full game and yes, he could've had an assist and we already agreed that it was one of his best performances this season. But compared to the rest, he was still below average. Lowest passing rate of all our players even though he took much less risks than Garnacho or Bruno. They dictated our attacking game, Antony was just there. 1 cross to his book, unsuccesful. 2 shots, both off target.
Don't know if Amad is the answer at this point already, but it won't take much to match what we've seen from Antony.

saik

Calling other opinions shite won't make your own statement more true.
Watched the full game and yes, he could've had an assist and we already agreed that it was one of his best performances this season. But compared to the rest, he was still below average. Lowest passing rate of all our players even though he took much less risks than Garnacho or Bruno. They dictated our attacking game, Antony was just there. 1 cross to his book, unsuccesful. 2 shots, both off target.
Don't know if Amad is the answer at this point already, but it won't take much to match what we've seen from Antony.
If him not kicking opposition out of frustration and that bolded part is your opinion of his performance from that game then yes, its a shite opinion to have and a waste of time arguing. You are making it sound like he was Rashford vs Newcastle levels of bad.

lex talionis

Your general point is true, slight players can do brilliantly in any league and Amad is also deceptively strong and aggressive.

But 1 Rashford has had a ton of success in the Premier League and 2 if Rashford used his physicality and athleticism better he may not he having the struggles he is currently.
Yes, “if”.

swissgenius

If him not kicking opposition out of frustration and that bolded part is your opinion of his performance from that game then yes, its a shite opinion to have and a waste of time arguing.
Yes, that's what separates that game from most of his performances during the previous months. We can call that a 'run of form' or just accept that even his better games are not exactly what you would've hoped for our standards. No, he's not Rashford vs. Newcastle because at least he tries every time. Lack of effort is not his problem.
Yes, just leave it at this, no point in arguing.

Amad: I won't expect too much at this point, but the talent is clearly there. Hope he can stay healthy and gets a close look on that wing.

Telsim

I'd forgotten we had him, even suggested we need another RW after Sancho and Pellistri depart in another thread.

I take it he is going to be available soon?

saik

Yes, that's what separates that game from most of his performances during the previous months. We can call that a 'run of form' or just accept that even his better games are not exactly what you would've hoped for our standards. No, he's not Rashford vs. Newcastle because at least he tries every time. Lack of effort is not his problem.
Yes, just leave it at this, no point in arguing.

Amad: I won't expect too much at this point, but the talent is clearly there. Hope he can stay healthy and gets a close look on that wing.
Again, you are doing a massive disservice to him by relegating that performance to just working hard. On another day he could have had couple of assists easily (if his teammates could finish their chances) and contributed heavily to our attacking play. I'm not calling it a 10/10 performance but it was easily a 7 or 8/10 performance which I hope he can build on.

Mwooyo

My first post in Amad's thread this year and can't believe it's to defend Antony here. Its shite like this that makes me think people really don't watch the full game. Antony had a good game against Chelsea. Certainly his best performance for us in my view and that comes after a good performance against Gala.
Again, you are doing a massive disservice to him by relegating that performance to just working hard. On another day he could have had couple of assists easily (if his teammates could finish their chances) and contributed heavily to our attacking play. I'm not calling it a 10/10 performance but it was easily a 7 or 8/10 performance which I hope he can build on.
See all these excuses you got for Anthony who is on his second year here...keep the same energy for Amad. Its crazy that people can back very average players like Anthony, Rashford or Mctominay and then expect others to hit the ground running like Amad or Mount or Amrabat. Just keep the same energy when their chances come their way.

Yagami

Good post resistant
On the workrate and physicality talk, I'll offer my opinion because I saw pretty much every performance of his at Sunderland. His loan was one of the easiest to keep up with because not only do Sunderland upload the full 90 minutes of all their games to their YouTube channel, this channel - https://www.youtube.com/@worldfootballhighlight/videos - made in depth highlight videos of all his performances. Not your typical highlight videos that leave out a players mistakes. Everything is included, from his touches to his off the ball movement to his pressing and defensive positioning.

Basically, he really bulked up and ended up dealing with the physicality of the league well, and he showed a good work ethic. There were times where he'd lose the ball cheaply and, instead of going to win it back, he'd throw a strop, but, for the most part, he was very intense with his pressing, did well at supporting his full back when on the right, and tracked back to help the central midfield when playing centrally. Personally, I wouldn't worry about his strops because I think that was partly the result of he himself thinking he was Sunderlands best player whereas, here, I don't think he'd have that attitude as he'd know he isn't one of our best.

I don't know how the injury is going to impact him upon his return but, if he gets back to the level he showed last year, I definitely think he can make a positive contribution. He wouldn't have looked out of place in terms of the intensity the likes of Garnacho, Hojlund and Antony showed against Chelsea for example.