5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need more intelligent, press resistant players in our team. We saw how good Mainoo was today. I believe Amad will make a similar impact.

Can't wait until he's back.

We need more intelligent, press resistant players in our team. We saw how good Mainoo was today. I believe Amad will make a similar impact.

I'm with you in terms of your general point. Out of all our options for the RW spot, Amad is the one I most want to see get a run there. I'm just not as confident with him as Mainoo. With Mainoo, I thought he'd take to first team football like a duck to water. With Amad, the potential is definitely there, but he's been here for, what, 4 years now and I'm still not sure about how his general game will impact us at the top level.

The most promising thing for me is, as you say, how he's shown signs of being press resistant. He backs himself to receive the ball in tight spaces and under pressure because he knows he can shield it or knows he has the agility to turn away from his man. Plus he is very smart at positioning himself between the ball and the opposition player.

I don't know how much you saw of him at Sunderland but my favourite thing was his link up play with Patrick Roberts. They pretty much controlled games and pinned back teams together as they interchanged down the right with 1-2s and such. You could tell they were always on the lookout for each other in possession because both backed one another with the ball regardless of if they were in a tight spot or not.

Anyone would be more effective than Marcus out on the right at this moment in time. Hopefully it’s a case of its as hard to get your place back as it is to lose it as I’d like to see Pellistri and Amad get a fair crack especially when the bar is so low. Look what happened with the midfield. We’ve nothing to lose from a general play standpoint. Any enthusiasm they bring is an upgrade. It can’t get much easier than that

but he's been here for, what, 4 years now and I'm still not sure about how his general game will impact us at the top level.

He would have been here 3 years in Jan, which has included a good loan-spell.

Big shame with the injury, I genuinely believe he has more end-product than Antony

What is his Injury though...There is zero news on his return. Last we heard, he was back on grass.... it is crazy to think that Manutd downplayed the injury back when he got it. They made it sound like a 2 or 3 week thing...We are now about to reach 5 months. Still we wait...

Just needs to get back and make that RW position his. Has way more pace, game intelligence and technique than Antony. When talking about Antony's strengths fans often mention how well he can keep the ball/resist pressure but Amad on a different level. He can glide past players and can finish. Ten Hag just needs give him a few games to regain his match rhythm and he'll actually make our right flank dangerous again.

Just needs to get back and make that RW position his. Has way more pace, game intelligence and technique than Antony. When talking about Antony's strengths fans often mention how well he can keep the ball/resist pressure but Amad on a different level. He can glide past players and can finish. Ten Hag just needs give him a few games to regain his match rhythm and he'll actually make our right flank dangerous again.
He isn’t much faster than Antony, if he is at all. The difference is in the way that he uses the ball after he beats a defender.

What most impressed me about his time at Sunderland was how much of a big moment player he became. A lot of important goals whilst still retaining very strong passing and dribbling stats.

Not sure Antony's weakness is not being press resistant, it's just a lack of goal threat/ability to assist. Amad certainly looked like he had more of a goal threat albeit in an inferior league but I wonder if the trade off for Antony's defensive work will be worth it as that part of Amad's game is where I suspect he might be weaker. Both are average pace but one is much more silky, difficult offensively to contain and the other is much more tenacious and dogged.

Agreed. I would even consider selling Anthony, to be honest, and get someone like Olise in. Anthony is not a title-chasing RW

That's the $64,000 question.

There is also a political issue by dropping Antony. It's his guy, 3rd most expensive buy for United ever. Can imagine the press having a field day.

Yeah, no reason to not give him a proper chance, i think he has all the tools to do what Kobbie just did.

That's the $64,000 question.

There is also a political issue by dropping Antony. It's his guy, 3rd most expensive buy for United ever. Can imagine the press having a field day.
I think he was basically dropped last game, we just said he had a 'knock', he also didn't start against Luton or Copenhagen. Not sure the press really care about him now allegations have gone, it's also not like Amad wasn't ridiculously expensive when we signed him.

I think he was basically dropped last game, we just said he had a 'knock', he also didn't start against Luton or Copenhagen. Not sure the press really care about him now allegations have gone, it's also not like Amad wasn't ridiculously expensive when we signed him.

Amad was 18 million quid plus add-ons versus Antony's £82million plus 5mllion add-ons.

Not even in the same postcode.

Playing off-form Antony also gives the press tons of stuff to write about (even more so, I'd argue). We've made the mistake at signing him for that price, there's no good option for continuing with him anymore, there will be criticism either way.

What was his injury record like at Sunderland? Seems to be getting injury after injury when he’s back here

What is his injury exactly? He's been out for a while and there's no info about his return?
He had a knee surgery didn't he? Not sure exactly what. He's been back in training a few weeks so I'd imagine he's close

See the slating of Erik for not playing young players seems to have tapered off!
Unironically, he should still be doing better in this regard. Dan Gore looked very composed and progressive almost at Mainoo levels against Palace- he's miles more press proof than Scott and already looks to have better positional intelligence. Should at least be on the bench and be getting minutes too, given how poor the rest of our midfield has been, and continued in large part to be even against Everton. I still think he's too cautious, despite the 'if you're good enough' line....

I only remember a temporary rest because he was fatigued. He was largely injury free

Cheers. Seems like the case with a lot of players then, they come here and become injury prone. Not sure if it’s bad luck, lack of rest, training facilities or what

It seems many are expecting him to be given a chance to make the RW spot his own. I’d love to share that positivity but it feels like we’re jumping the gun. The noise from within the club on Amad has been nothing like that about Mainoo who it seems is rated super highly by everyone. Unless I’ve missed something. So I’m not sure he’s going to waltz into the team as people are hoping. He’s not fit (do we even know when he’s back?), some players take much longer to regain sharpness and he’s got Rashford and Antony to contend with.

It seems many are expecting him to be given a chance to make the RW spot his own. I’d love to share that positivity but it feels like we’re jumping the gun. The noise from within the club on Amad has been nothing like that about Mainoo who it seems is rated super highly by everyone. Unless I’ve missed something. So I’m not sure he’s going to waltz into the team as people are hoping. He’s not fit (do we even know when he’s back?), some players take much longer to regain sharpness and he’s got Rashford and Antony to contend with.
I can only go (optimistically) by what I observed during pre-season - Mainoo and Amad were being given chances with the first team (even though Antony was out at the time), where both unfortunately picked up injuries. This tells me the thinking was he's a core part of the plan going forward (let's not forget Antony usually doesn't last beyond 65-70 mins).
Contrast that with Hannibal, who I'm a massive fan of, but is highly rated, but perhaps not considered as ready, as he mainly played with the 2nd team.

Im looking forward to him coming back too and hopefully make an impact. He has qualities we lack at the minute and could add another dimension to our play. He is similar to Garnacho in that he is exciting because he is direct but with neat linking passes and tricks.
We lack spontaneity at times and he has this trait in his game and can also finish too. I see him and Pellestri in a similar light in that they both developing but just need consistency. This will come with opportunity and they will get a chance I’m sure. It’s just whether they take it. Very talented individual.

Amad was 18 million quid plus add-ons versus Antony's £82million plus 5mllion add-ons.

Not even in the same postcode.
Amad at 18 was £19m and then double in add ons - whilst we don't know the add ons, you have to assume some are very realistic. That's very expensive for a player whose best season so far has been on loan in the Championship and now is 21 years old. If you start to compare everything to a Maguire, Antony, Sancho type signing it warps your sense of reality. We all hope he can kick on and develop to start but we have to wait to see if he does.

I think the season with Sunderland really confirmed Amad to me. Whether he makes it here or not, hey-ho -- but I have few doubts he will have a good career at the top level in Europe.

He was narrowly pipped to the YPOTY award by Alex Scott (I don't know how deserving Scott was) and the last three winners before that are also good company to be around: Jude Bellingham; Michael Olise; and Brennan Johnson (now at Spurs).

In a hypothetical word if Amad wasn't so unlucky with injuries I think he'd be at a similar rating to someone like Olise. In terms of quality I don't think there's much between them, but the Frenchman has the massive plus of two full PL seasons under his belt.

See the slating of Erik for not playing young players seems to have tapered off!
Should people still be doing that? I mean, they complained when he wasn't doing it, he started doing it more, people stopped complaining. Is there some part of the feedback loop where you get what you want and then still complain about it?

Sunderland fans seem to have fallen in love with him. Some are still hopeful of bringing him back in January. I've read stuff like, if he was there this season, they'd all be confident of promotion. I mentioned before how I loved the link up play between Amad and Roberts last year, and I'm reading now about Sunderland fans complaining about Roberts' form this season and many put it down to not having anyone on Amad's level to link up with.

I was definitely impressed with him at Sunderland, too, so it's nice to see that the fans there really took to him. He definitely bulked up that season which helped. The only big thing that, not really worries or concerns me, but, I don't know, causes me to be more hesitant with him, is that he's pretty slow. He's not really the type of wide player who constantly runs at the opposition, but he has shown he can beat people, and when he does - or when he's played through by a teammate - the opposition pretty much always catch back up to him. Plus he's a bit one footed.

Aside from that, I like what I saw last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing him get some game time when he's back. Especially alongside our current kids in Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo.

We could be doing alot better if Mainoo and Amad was fit at the beginning of the season. We could be in top 4 right now. I am really looking forward to Amad play, I think he has no fear and more direct than Antony. I have already written off Antony, he can be the sub the bench or plays in unimportant game. I have never seen a winger who does not dare to take on a defender and no right foot. He is a Brazilian and is part of the national team so I expect alot from him. Boy,.was I wrong?!

Sunderland fans seem to have fallen in love with him. Some are still hopeful of bringing him back in January. I've read stuff like, if he was there this season, they'd all be confident of promotion. I mentioned before how I loved the link up play between Amad and Roberts last year, and I'm reading now about Sunderland fans complaining about Roberts' form this season and many put it down to not having anyone on Amad's level to link up with.

I was definitely impressed with him at Sunderland, too, so it's nice to see that the fans there really took to him. He definitely bulked up that season which helped. The only big thing that, not really worries or concerns me, but, I don't know, causes me to be more hesitant with him, is that he's pretty slow. He's not really the type of wide player who constantly runs at the opposition, but he has shown he can beat people, and when he does - or when he's played through by a teammate - the opposition pretty much always catch back up to him. Plus he's a bit one footed.

Aside from that, I like what I saw last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing him get some game time when he's back. Especially alongside our current kids in Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo.

Nah, Amad is not slow or one footed. Whatever speed Anthony has, Amad has the same. Amad has a great weak foot. This is like saying saka is one footed. What matters with wingers is having a great weak foot...ie you can beat a defender either way. Amad can beat a defender either way...but even more than that, he has the brains to play make for a team. His pass selection and weight of pass is elite. Anthony has none of these things. Been saying this for ages, the RW we should sign is Olise from crystal palace and he comes to replace Anthony and not Amad. Anthony can shine elsewhere but not in a premier league title chasing team because of his defiencies

Status
Not open for further replies.