View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

flameinthesun

Pellistri didn't cost 95 million Euros (102.7 million USD). Antony, all he has is speed, and if the right conditions (open space, keeper leaning left, no pressure) are present, he can left hook a shot into the upper left corner of the goal (sometimes). He is half the player that Phil Foden is. Technically, Pellistri is better than Antony. But as I mentioned, Pellistri belongs in the group of many promising United youngsters that are good enough for Europe but not good enough for MUFC.
We were not comparing their costs or them to Foden now were we. We were comparing Antony to the options at United. Whilst you highlighted correctly Antony is way off a Phil Foden, its also clear Pellistri is way of an Antony. Antony, regardless of how he has performed or where he ranks amonget wingers in the league, in every single area of the game he is better than Pellistri. If you think Antony has no strength and speed to beat a man, Pellistri takes that to another level. Add in his pretty bad passing, control, end product and general all round play, yes, you have a worst option than Antony. The reason he is out on loan and not playing over Antony is not because of Antony's price but simply because he is not good enough. Also this narrative that Ten Hag is afraid to drop his signings is a bit of a weird one as he was happy to play Mctominay over Casemiro, he's now happy to play Garnacho over Antony. He even dropped Mount for a period of time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Antony didn't cost that money or if EtH didn't know him before he wouldn't be anywhere near the team. He'd be dropped by any new manager to the darkest corner of the dressing room and the club would do anything they could to unload him.

He doesn't offer us what we need. He's poor in possession, he's arguably objectively unlikeable which certainly doesn't help his staying power because that affects his marketability.

We're stuck with Antony because of his price and wages. That's why Pellistri is much easier to loan out, the other club takes on his relatively meager wages. To get rid of Antony we need to pay.

Disastrous transfer and for me could end up as our worst ever because I suspect we'll manage to recuperate more money from Sancho.

In a twisted weird sort of wary Antony is the worse transfer because he's been more available.

Bertie Wooster

A lot of fair points about Antony's fee. But in comparisons with Amad, which is what's happening, I guess it's fair to point out that he was hardly a young, inexpensive kid come through the academy himself!

£18m up to £35m on a teenager with barely any senior level experience, and signed as a developmental player and not immediately for the first team squad, was always a huge outlay as well! And one that you'd think might also have the club more inclined to give him opportunities so he's not seen as another expensive failure?

I'd like to see him get some opportunities. Especially with Antony struggling and Sancho and Pellistri loaned out. Rashford and Garnacho should be our first options, but I'd like to see Amad share some of Antony's minutes and I'm surprised to see him now below Forson as well!

lex talionis

The problem for Amad now is that Garnacho has taken well to playing on the right and with Rashford seeming to be recommitted to his job — he even did away with the daft red hair die — there’s no room for Amad any time soon on the pitch other than Donny Van de Beek time after the 85th minute. And if ETH still prefers Antony in garbage time United might as well just cash in on Amad as there’s no chance we’ll ever find a taker for Antony even on a free transfer.

Matthew1972

We were not comparing their costs or them to Foden now were we. We were comparing Antony to the options at United. Whilst you highlighted correctly Antony is way off a Phil Foden, its also clear Pellistri is way of an Antony. Antony, regardless of how he has performed or where he ranks amonget wingers in the league, in every single area of the game he is better than Pellistri. If you think Antony has no strength and speed to beat a man, Pellistri takes that to another level. Add in his pretty bad passing, control, end product and general all round play, yes, you have a worst option than Antony. The reason he is out on loan and not playing over Antony is not because of Antony's price but simply because he is not good enough. Also this narrative that Ten Hag is afraid to drop his signings is a bit of a weird one as he was happy to play Mctominay over Casemiro, he's now happy to play Garnacho over Antony. He even dropped Mount for a period of time.
Antony is a joke. And don't try to tell me ETH game day decisions are any indication of anything. Here's a dose of reality. He's losing the locker room. In two seasons he's spent well over half a billion Euros. United are one of the most expensive teams in Europe. He didn't make it out of the group stages in Champions in a relatively weak group. His team sits 7th in the league right now and the players don't look like they care anymore. How long before Fernandes decides he doesn't want to carry the team? Nearly every player on first team squad has played for years, so injuries should be able to be absorbed without any serious dip in form (just look at top 3). Ten Hag might be a good coach, but he fecking sucks as a judge of PL talent. Onana is the worst signing of all though. DeGea is still a free agent, yet somehow every week I see the human sieve between the pipes. He hasn't improved the squad. He's making them worse than they were under Solskjær.

flameinthesun

Antony is a joke. And don't try to tell me ETH game day decisions are any indication of anything. Here's a dose of reality. He's losing the locker room. In two seasons he's spent well over half a billion Euros. United are one of the most expensive teams in Europe. He didn't make it out of the group stages in Champions in a relatively weak group. His team sits 7th in the league right now and the players don't look like they care anymore. How long before Fernandes decides he doesn't want to carry the team? Nearly every player on first team squad has played for years, so injuries should be able to be absorbed without any serious dip in form (just look at top 3). Ten Hag might be a good coach, but he fecking sucks as a judge of PL talent. Onana is the worst signing of all though. DeGea is still a free agent, yet somehow every week I see the human sieve between the pipes. He hasn't improved the squad. He's making them worse than they were under Solskjær.
And here I thought we was talking about Antony, Pellistri and Amad. Sounds like you just want to vent.

Matthew1972

And here I thought we was talking about Antony, Pellistri and Amad. Sounds like you just want to vent.
You're stuck on Antony vs Pellistri like it matters. Why don't you go spend 100k on a Toyota Corolla and tell me if you understand.

forevrared

We ought to just sell him if ten Hag won’t give him the minutes at the end today. It’s impossible he’s worse than Antony, but ten Hag is desperate to rescue his investment.

Unfortunately he’ll be another in a long line of players we don’t get near enough money for because he doesn’t see the pitch. We’ll already take a massive loss on Antony, but never giving Amad a chance means we’ll take a massive loss on him as well. Just doesn’t make sense the way he’s been handled.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His agent should be looking for the optimal club and making moves for the summer. Gaffer doesnt seem to rate him and will prioritise the performances of his big money signing

lex talionis

Ridiculous that Amad has been banished from any first team action when Antony has been atrocious the entire season…except for the open net sitter of course.

Stadjer

Bringing him on near the end of a 3-0 lead during a home game seemed the easiest thing to do. A shame ETH decided to bring on Antony and Lindelof instead.

Nep77

Sancho was wrong about 99 other things and never saw what other saw in him as a Supposed 'Talent' but he was right about the bias Erik has for Antony.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I see Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund lighting up Old Trafford and it just makes me want to see him even more. After watching him last year, I really think he could do what they're doing.

luke511

He’ll get his chance, it just relies on one of the wingers getting injured. It took Garnacho and Mainoo a long while on the bench before getting a proper opportunity too.

Borninthe80ts

He has to get some game time. Rashford and Garnacho are our starters now. But for me, Amad should be an impact sub not Antony. Antony has been poor this year and it should only be normal that Amad, who is now fit, takes his chance
I actually agree with this as I prefer him to Antony as a player but I can see why the manager would want to play the Brazilian into form and make Amad have to earn the place. If we get more results like today he will see more.

Hoof the ball

It's not as if Amad played well in the 30 mins he last played only weeks ago....... Oh wait, he did.

Here's your reward for a good cameo performance, Amad. We'll give Forson your minutes.

The Substitute

He’s probably not doing enough in training. I refuse to believe a manager who has shown he gives youth a chance where possible does not play him if he’s fit and working hard in training.
Well, isn't it pretty obvious there's some favoritism in play? Like someone mentioned above here, Sancho said this, and albeit he's a turd, doesn't mean his wrong

Valencia Shin Crosses

I actually agree with this as I prefer him to Antony as a player but I can see why the manager would want to play the Brazilian into form and make Amad have to earn the place. If we get more results like today he will see more.
Form doesn't exist in this case. Antony isn't some out of form star that needs some confidence.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t know why people seem so confused about Antony getting the nod ahead of him as a substitute in the last few games. When we’re defending a lead it’s a no brainer of a decision. Antony is much stronger defensively. So he’s the obvious choice. It’s basic common sense.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don’t know why people seem so confused about Antony getting the nod ahead of him as a substitute in the last few games. When we’re defending a lead it’s a no brainer of a decision. Antony is much stronger defensively. So he’s the obvious choice. It’s basic common sense.
We're not really defending a lead at 3-0 though. Game is done.

mu4c_20le

For who though.

UnitedRepublic

A guy in the match day thread was saying Amad hasn’t shown anything to warrant game time . If a championship loan where he was the best player in the team is nothing, what had Garnacho and Kobbie done to deserve minutes then ? Not saying they don’t deserve it because they do but feeling that Amad is getting treated badly at the momemt. Antony is a waste of space he’s had 1 and a half season to show us something he hasn’t really shown that he’s improved or that we need what he has to offer give Amad some time on the pitch.

Alemar

A guy in the match day thread was saying Amad hasn’t shown anything to warrant game time .
30 minutes he was given a Month ago were promising enough, he was at the very least much better than Antony. Is he doing badly in training or what?

Tarrou

He must surely be thinking about leaving having to see Antony take all his minutes

Red-17

I think this argument would hold more weight if Antony himself did not play a significant role in us conceding a two goal lead in our last match due to his carelessness in possession. Defensive minded substitutions when up often just invite the opposition forward rather than actually solidifying things.

Doracle

We were 3-0 up with minutes left, at home against West Ham. Even if we ignore the fact that Antony basically gave away two goals carrying out a similar role on Thursday (whilst being generally horrific in all that he did), it was the ideal time to be giving some minutes to a promising youngster.

Gordon Godot

A strange post. Did you watch the Wolves game. he was terrible. The worst sub performance I have seen. He made one tackle but across the rest of his engagement, either muscled off ball, passed to oppo or ran into trouble and attack broke down. He delayed on ball on edge of area and lost it which led directly to the break for their third goal. Another posted said he was partly at fault for second goal. At least 6 or 7 times he lost possession, how does that help us? He is awful. How terrible do you have to be before the manager stops playing you? Amad is good on the ball, perhaps a radical idea that we see games out by keeping the ball rather than playing 6 defenders.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We were 3-0 up with minutes left, at home against West Ham. Even if we ignore the fact that Antony basically gave away two goals carrying out a similar role on Thursday (whilst being generally horrific in all that he did), it was the ideal time to be giving some minutes to a promising youngster.
Meh. It was the 88th minute. It was a time wasting sub as much as anything else. Those few minutes wouldn’t have done Diallo much good anyway.

There’s been one game only where Antony took meaningful minutes that could have gone to Diallo. The cup game against Newport. Where Antony scored and assisted. So the decision worked out. The hysteria about Diallo not playing for a month ignores the fact we’ve had very few games in that time and he was sick/unavailable for the games that followed his last appearance (where he was singled out for praise)

Anyway, Diallo certainly didn’t look unhappy in our last match when he was charging off the bench to celebrate Kobbie’s winner. He’ll be fine. His time will come.