Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Herrera is a very good player. He started well and due to injury had a bit of a dip in form. Put him into a good midfield and he will show his qualities. A midfield of Carrick and Herrera with ADM in there and the support of Rooney or Mata could dominate and create chance after chance

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ooops, skipped a match! I blame the turkey leftovers.
Heh. Please don't do that. Even seeing the word "turkey" written down makes me queasy.

But yeah, the Newcastle game was the first time I thought this 352 might work. Although it has to be said they did us a huge favour lining up the same way, so it was reassuring to see it looks so effective against Spuds too. Until we got knackered anyway. I don't see Van Gaal reverting to a back four against Stoke but he might think he needs Fellaini's height. Will be an intriguing team selection but I'd be amazed if Herrera made the XI.

Pogue Mahone

Herrera is a very good player. He started well and due to injury had a bit of a dip in form. Put him into a good midfield and he will show his qualities. A midfield of Carrick and Herrera with ADM in there and the support of Rooney or Mata could dominate and create chance after chance
On recent form, benching either of them would be a terrible decision.

Litch

I like him a lot but for me struggled with the physical nature of the Prem. His endeavour there but concedes a lot of fouls when trying to match people's physicality. LVG has noted this and although technical not as good, Fellaini added this to the midfield and has contributed to us winning matches. If we sign a player that does both equally well, they will both have a challenge getting into the first team imo.

m1y2

I don't know if he had a dip in a form it seems to me that he didn't pay at all and people start to talk about dip in for, it is the same with Rafael people accusing him of playing bad at times while he doesn't play at all. Herrera had a below average half of football against Westbrom? and that is it, Apart that he was brilliant, after his comeback he was great then okay the next game but then got injured again but dip in a form? I don't think so, I see more dips in form of any other single player in our team.

Some other people mentioning his lack of physicality but I think his movement and smart play is good enough to compensate that, Mata struggles more IMO..
And he doesn't concede fouls that much, he used to in preseason but he got much much better and he wins a lot of tackles for the team, doesn't conced more fouls than for example fellaini who is as clumsy as player can be. Can't wait for him to be back in the side. No matter for what reasons he didn't play but we need him back immediately as we play without midfield for some time and have the same problem what we had for three years+ I only fear for his ankles as he apparently suffered another ankle injury couple of weeks ago, because his play is based on quick turns and good balance, this issues wouldn't help his career at all..

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I like him a lot but for me struggled with the physical nature of the Prem. His endeavour there but concedes a lot of fouls when trying to match people's physicality. LVG has noted this and although technical not as good, Fellaini added this to the midfield and has contributed to us winning matches. If we sign a player that does both equally well, they will both have a challenge getting into the first team imo.
He doesn't conceed that many fouls and he often wins many freekicks. I don't think he really struggles physically as much as being made out tbh.

RedorDead21

He doesn't conceed that many fouls and he often wins many freekicks. I don't think he really struggles physically as much as being made out tbh.
But you must concede for whatever reason it doesnt appear he's a LVG favourite right now. We are all coming up with various reasons for this and expecting this to change but based on the facts he's as favoured as Kagawa was by management........

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
But you must concede for whatever reason it doesnt appear he's a LVG favourite right now. We are all coming up with various reasons for this and expecting this to change but based on the facts he's as favoured as Kagawa was by management........
Yeah I'm not debating that.

Litch

It's debateable but LVG made reference to the team lacking physicality for which Felliani offered. I expect that Herrea wasn't LVG wasn't his choice but already bought before he arrived. I like Herrea but I suspect we will find eventually a player that will be able to offer the physically of Felliani and the technical ability of Herrea....

NoPace

On recent form, benching either of them would be a terrible decision.
Has Mata been that convincing in anything other than wins against the non-CL types (the bottom 12) at home? If healthy, I'd rather see Herrera away at Stoke next to Rooney and then Mata can be our option off the bench to provide offense if need be.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Has Mata been that convincing in anything other than wins against the non-CL types (the bottom 12) at home? If healthy, I'd rather see Herrera away at Stoke next to Rooney and then Mata can be our option off the bench to provide offense if need be.
And which CL types has Herrera been amazing against?? There is zero basis so far for saying Mata is not as good as Herrera.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Has Herrera?

Seriously, you'd think we're talking about golden ball winner here.

Browniee

:lol: people still on about LvG not liking Herrera, what a load of bollocks.
He's probably been on a tough training schedule to get him up to speed with the physicality of EPL hence the injuries. People forget he has played in that pussy league La Liga all his career.
Fantastic player

NoPace

Has Herrera?
Seriously, you'd think we're talking about golden ball winner here.
And which CL types has Herrera been amazing against?? There is zero basis so far for saying Mata is not as good as Herrera.
These comments are fair, in that I'm giving an opinion on how I think he would do, not arguing he's proven himself here yet.

I don't think Herrera is perfect (too wayward a passer) but I think his game is really impressive and he works hard.

Against a good team away or a very good team at home, I find it hard to believe that Mata-Rooney in CM with 2 strikers can work without an incredible back 6 supporting them defensively and providing with in attack.

Throw Herrera in for Mata or Rooney and you have better balance.

There have been times this season where Mata stopped paying attention off the ball and marking a CM and the player surged forward and got in a good position. That isn't going to stop happening.

Do you think Rooney-Mata-Carrick is a serious long-term plan?

legball

Just like Falcao, when he's fit enough, he'll play. I don't understand the drama. I think United fans are the worst, we'll moan about everything. A notable feature of LVG's tenure is that players have to train for 1-2 weeks after recovery to be considered for the first team, and he won't drop a player in your position who is doing well. People go on here about Herrera as if he's a Ballon D'or winner, he still fecking has it all to prove here. When he is fit and ready to play, LVG will ease him in, if you can't deal with that then it's your problem.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The fact we presumed Ander was already back in training, that was until LvG said he only started training yesterday. You wonder if they have realised that it might not be the fact players have been thrown back into games too early and are getting injured again, but due to the strenuous training they have been getting them back into training too early. He might be on the bench tomorrow and play against Yeovil. He will ease him back into games slowly as legball said about Falcao. These lads are valuable assets and have to be treated as such. We need both Herrera and Mata playing well. We have to have a first team and bench that will scare people. Not as soon as changes are made that we might lose control of a game.

Pogue Mahone

Yes. His best performance this season was against Spurs away.

Now, same question about Hererra.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I really rate Herrera, I think he is a great player and has given us something we have not had in years and while I can see him performing well in the 10 role, it's something that I just don't see. Yes he can be a creative player but I think he just an out and out CM, both sides of the game, energy, all that comes with the modern CM. I think that's where he should be, leave the 10 for Mata and Rooney.

NoPace

Yes. His best performance this season was against Spurs away.

Now, same question about Hererra.
Fair point. He played well and probably only faded due to having played 2 days before. We weren't very good as a team in the 2nd half, but again, probably more about energy levels in this crazy period.

Herrera has played very well against good teams many times while at Bilbao, and I think he'll do the same here.

I like Mata, I just don't think our box of 4 central attackers is sustainable. Next year we'll be in the CL and rotating more. As a CM in a 3 man midfield with Rooney involved,I think Herrera is better suited to the tougher games and Mata better suited to breaking teams down.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I agree. Herrera for me is not a no.10, I prefer to see him in a midfield with Carrick and ADM. He can help bring the ball forward and with his urgency and creativity he can make us tick

DomesticTadpole

I really rate Herrera, I think he is a great player and has given us something we have not had in years and while I can see him performing well in the 10 role, it's something that I just don't see. Yes he can be a creative player but I think he just an out and out CM, both sides of the game, energy, all that comes with the modern CM. I think that's where he should be, leave the 10 for Mata and Rooney.
I think it will next season before Herrera settles. Juan Mata has been in the PL for a while. It must be a shock to the system how fast and physical our league is and takes some adapting to. I think he would have been good in CL games as they are at a different pace, but unfortunately due to circumstances we aren't in it. Hopefully next year we are.

NoPace

They are very different players, and who should play depends on their teammates, the role they are filling and the opponents.

DomesticTadpole

They are very different players, and who should play depends on their teammates, the role they are filling and the opponents.
Isn't this the problem with fans, we will insist on comparing players who are not the same, just like comparing Fellaini with Herrera. Ridiculous. LvG will pick who is suitable for a particular game and as someone said who is playing round them.

Pogue Mahone

Fair point. He played well and probably only faded due to having played 2 days before. We weren't very good as a team in the 2nd half, but again, probably more about energy levels in this crazy period.

Herrera has played very well against good teams many times while at Bilbao, and I think he'll do the same here.

I like Mata, I just don't think our box of 4 central attackers is sustainable. Next year we'll be in the CL and rotating more. As a CM in a 3 man midfield with Rooney involved,I think Herrera is better suited to the tougher games and Mata better suited to breaking teams down.
What you're saying does kind of make sense but there's no way we should drop Mata in current form. Our best player against Spurs and one of the first names on the team-sheet against Stoke.

DomesticTadpole

What you're saying does kind of make sense but there's no way we should drop Mata in current form. Our best player against Spurs and one of the first names on the team-sheet against Stoke.
I don't think he will drop him. Herrera will have to sit on the bench and make a good contribution when he comes on. I think he will be happy to play, simple as. We need to be in a position to be able to make changes in games. At the moment the midfield options are gash and we are risking the form players either being worn out or god forbid picking up injuries.

mufcwarm92

As always against Stoke, they'll put some big fecker on Mata and he'll kick and kick until he gets booked, then pass the mantle onto one of his team mates.

There's a lot of talk about Stoke's improved football, but they still love a kick, thrive on the set piece and hoof it up to Crouch half the time. The only real difference in my eyes is that they've recruited wide players with actual technical ability.

It's their cup final every year so it'll be a big old scrap. I'll be there, hungover in the cold. Why were early kick offs on New Year's Day ever a thing?

DomesticTadpole

As always against Stoke, they'll put some big fecker on Mata and he'll kick and kick until he gets booked, then pass the mantle onto one of his team mates.

There's a lot of talk about Stoke's improved football, but they still love a kick, thrive on the set piece and hoof it up to Crouch half the time. The only real difference in my eyes is that they've recruited wide players with actual technical ability.

It's their cup final every year so it'll be a big old scrap. I'll be there, hungover in the cold. Why were early kick offs on New Year's Day ever a thing?
They are still thugs, you are right, thugs with a bit more finesse, but still thugs.

Gannicus

Put Rooney up front and play Herrera in midfield. Simples.
It really is that simple.

But the complication comes from Mata. He's a high quality footballer of course, but he goes missing a bit too often. In Herrera I see a more consistent, though not as outstanding, footballer.

I hope it's not a case of Ander being in the manager's doghouse and just a matter of working toward fitness.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
De Gea hiding the post coitus cigarette he's currently enjoying.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
While obviously Mata has shown more in his career and is a better player, Herrera for Bilbao was consistently at his best against the likes of Barca and Madrid. That said, I think both suit each other really well and I'd rather drop Falcao and have Rooney up there behind Van Persie, and put Herrera in midfield next to Mata.

Status
Not open for further replies.