g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Man, United really have a way of teasing me with these midfielders I really like.
Veron, Kagawa, and now it seems Herrera is going to bite the dust... :(

Cassidy

See my edit, turns out Guardian now saying it is a false alarm, that their source turned out to be a fake twitter account
:lol: Fecking Guardian and fecking twitter!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit annoying. Hopefully he starts next game.

Kag

If there was any kind of reasonable offer for him it'd be better to sell him now. Probably wouldn't get half what was paid for him, but at least it could go towards getting a player the manager does trust.
We'd probably get £14 million? You don't half spew some bollocks on this site.

Cina

Talk of selling him is a bit melodramatic. He's just behind players who've been better than him this season. The pecking order is understandable but might change in time.
That's a fair point but there have been plenty of times we've looked like we could do with him in the middle of the park, even as a substitution, where it just hasn't happened at all. That and the reports that van Gaal doesn't appear to rate him much, I think it's clearly more than just being a bit behind in the pecking order right now.

It's very disappointing to spend £30m on the best non top 3 midfielder in La Liga last season (Rakitic aside) and not see him play.

Cassidy

Talk of selling him is a bit melodramatic. He's just behind players who've been better than him this season. The pecking order is understandable but might change in time.
I'm not exactly sure Mata or Fellaini have been better tbh.

Sam

Even as one of Herrera's biggest fans, things aren't looking promising. Its a massive shame, because personally, I've loved watching him play (when he has). He might not be the best player in the world, but his style is very easy on the eye.

bucky

What does his price have to do with anything? Conversely, Fellaini cost 27m so he has to play as well.
At least Fellaini is rated and is playing, which is the point. Why bother paying the fees we are paying for players we either have no idea how to use or just don't work for us? We are wasting a lot of money, if this carries on and I really hope I'm wrong. I hope he plays or finds his place, because he's a very good player in my eyes and not because of his fee, but if he doesn't, we could have used the money we paid for him differently.

Kag

I'm not exactly sure Mata or Fellaini have been better tbh.
A much of a muchness, generally. All have contributed, all have had good games and all have had a couple of iffy ones. I'd throw in Di Maria alongside them, to be honest.

Only Blind has consistently impressed in midfield for us, I think.

Cassidy

A much of a muchness, generally. All have contributed, all have had good games and all have had a couple of iffy ones. I'd throw in Di Maria alongside them, to be honest.

Only Blind has consistently impressed in midfield for us, I think.
Yeah I agree with that tbh

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I concur. Even if Athletic offered to take him on loan or Valencia offered to pay €10m for him it would be reasonable to let him leave. He's serving no purpose here and it is clear as a day now that he will not feature much.

Extremely bad management from van Gaal to agree to spend £30m and then refuse to play him at all.
VG didn't choose him though. Just because he consented to a purchase his new chairman wanted to make doesn't mean he feels any pressure to make the signing work.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
At least Fellaini is rated and is playing, which is the point. Why bother paying the fees we are paying for players we either have no idea how to use or just don't work for us? We are wasting a lot of money, if this carries on and I really hope I'm wrong. I hope he plays or finds his place, because he's a very good player in my eyes and not because of his fee, but if he doesn't, we could have used the money we paid for him differently.
Not everyone can be in the starting XI. Fellaini, Mata, Di Maria, and Rooney all cost as much or more than him so his cost is irrelevant. We want to be the best team in the world so we need top players throughout the squad and Ander offers that.

jem

I think he just hasn't hit his stride yet, so Van Gaal is going with Fellaini, who, in my opinion and presumably Van Gaal's as well, has outperformed him. When he's in form, I love what Herrera brings to the side. However, he hasn't consistently performed well this season. I remember him having a somewhat quiet first few games, followed by a very good game or two, against QPR and Leicester, if I recall correctly. He then got hurt (was it in the Leicester game?), came back with an absolute howler in which he got subbed at half (can't remember the opposition,) and since then, it seems to have all been a bit stop-start (I recall one substitute appearance during which he played very well.) He scored a great goal against Yeovil, but I thought he was pretty dire in that game.

In all, I think we all want to see him play because when in form, he plays the kind of football we've been dying to see come back to United. However, he just hasn't performed well enough to be a pencilled in starter (in my opinion.)

I think all this talk of selling him is extremely premature. He'd hardly be the first import to struggle in his first season, would he?

Kag

Talk of sale is outrageously silly, too. There are better options than Herrera on the benches of Madrid, Bayern and Barcelona and if we've any ambition to compete with them again we should ensure that we keep the good players we do have at the club.

If Herrera is to be a squad player then so be it. Lucky us.

Cina

They have though. By quite a margin too.
Not sure how you can say Mata has, he's also had lots more games to impress in. Fellaini I'd agree with because his chances were limited and he definitely took them.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mata I think has had very good games and very poor games. Same with Fellani, and thats the same with Herrera too
Hererra hasn't had good games though. Good moments but not good games. At a push, he's had one good 90. Against the worst QPR performance I've ever seen. He's generally been someoene who might look good in highlights but makes a lot of errors too.

I still think he's got a chance but he's not adapted to the pace and physicality of the PL at all. Hopefully he'll step up in season two. Still quite young too.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He is behind a striker when it comes to picking the midfield. He's not even a part of rotation.

justboy68

Really? That's not what the average ratings say (just a loose barometer I know) . Mata has blown hot and cold and Fellaini has been a big improvement this season but is still rather average for a side like United. Herrera has been generally good when he has played, bar that game when he tried to play through a broken rib. I just don't get it I really don't. We sign a proper midfielder who can do a bit of everything and seems to have a good, intelligent head on his shoulders and then proceed to exclude him. He's even come up with some cracking goals which we didn't know he had in his arsenal when he arrived.

It could very well be the ball retention thing, but that would be a shame if so. I think we'd all like to see Mata try a few riskier through balls more often.

Cina

Mata will have impressed Van Gaal with his ball retention. Arguably Hererra's achilles heel.
I'm not sure how that means he's been better than him though? Hasn't our constant need to try and keep the ball and bore the opposition to death been one of our biggest problems? At least Herrera's direct.

Sarni

Not really. Early into the season Herrera was mostly very good. Fellaini has been good and had limited chances, Mata has played even when he was poor and still got plenty more opportunities than Herrera. I don't think Herrera has been given anywhere near enough of a chance.

Like with Di Maria though you are bound to prefer other players to him. :)

Cambridge 0:0 Man Utd

Pogue Mahone

Really? That's not what the average ratings say. Mata has blown hot and cold and Fellaini has been a big improvement this season but is still rather average for a side like United. Herrera has been generally good when he has played, bar that game when he tried to play through a broken rib. I just don't get it I really don't. We sign a proper midfielder who can do a bit of everything and seems to have a good, intelligent head on his shoulders and then proceed to exclude him. He's even come up with some cracking goals which we didn't know he had in his arsenal when he arrived.
Caf ratings have always been a bad way to judge players. The love-in with players like Anderson, Hernandez and Kagawa continued long past the point it was obvious they had no future here (not that this applies to Hererra - the no future bit, that is)

bucky

Not everyone can be in the starting XI. Fellaini, Mata, Di Maria, and Rooney all cost as much or more than him so his cost is irrelevant. We want to be the best team in the world so we need top players throughout the squad and Ander offers that.
Assuming he's only rated as an attacking midfielder, which it looks like, where is his place in the squad then? We've more than enough players for that position. I'm not saying we should sell, which would be silly, but I just don't see how he currently fits in in the squad and I'm not even talking about the starting XI.

Pogue Mahone

Not really. Early into the season Herrera was mostly very good. Fellaini has been good and had limited chances, Mata has played even when he was poor and still got plenty more opportunities than Herrera. I don't think Herrera has been given anywhere near enough of a chance.

Yes, of course. I'll stick up for Mata and slag Herrera off because... Spanish?

jem

I'm not sure how that means he's been better than him though? Hasn't our constant need to try and keep the ball and bore the opposition to death been one of our biggest problems? At least Herrera's direct.
Yeah but he's been guilty of some shocking lapses in his passing, and not exactly made up for it by providing telling through ball/slide-rule passes. Mind you, I also think Mata has been guilty of playing the safe option a bit too much, but on balance, I think he has outperformed Herrera (although their roles haven't been identical.)

jem

Really? I don't remember that run of good form at the beginning of the season, except for in the QPR match and the first half of the Leicester match.

Cina

Yeah but he's been guilty of some shocking lapses in his passing, and not exactly made up for it by providing telling through ball/slide-rule passes. Mind you, I also think Mata has been guilty of playing the safe option a bit too much, but on balance, I think he has outperformed Herrera (although their roles haven't been identical.)
He's probably outperformed him because he's played shitloads more than him. Mata, by his standards, has only really been satisfactory this season. I mean obviously he's a better player than Herrera and therefore it makes more sense to persist with him, I just don't think you can say he's been the better of the two if you include the fact that he's played twice as many games.

I don't think Mata should be dropped for him or anything, but surely we could give Herrera more chances in the team than we currently are. He's barely had a sniff.

Cassidy

Really? I don't remember that run of good form at the beginning of the season, except for in the QPR match and the first half of the Leicester match.
He was good first half vs West Ham too, then he got injured and was out of the team. That is the point, he actually hasn't played a lot of football.

Sarni

Yes, of course. I'll stick up for Mata and slag Herrera off because... Spanish?
Nope, you were actually pretty harsh on Mata when he was very popular on here. You have actually started to like him more when people have begun to lose patience with his inconsistency. It's the thing with you, you mostly don't like players who are popular among fans here.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He's probably outperformed him because he's played shitloads more than him. Mata, by his standards, has only really been satisfactory this season. I mean obviously he's a better player than Herrera and therefore it makes more sense to persist with him, I just don't think you can say he's been the better of the two if you include the fact that he's played twice as many games.

I don't think Mata should be dropped for him or anything, but surely we could give Herrera more chances in the team than we currently are. He's barely had a sniff.
Who would you give him games instead of if not Mata though?

Cassidy

Hererra hasn't had good games though. Good moments but not good games. At a push, he's had one good 90. Against the worst QPR performance I've ever seen. He's generally been someoene who might look good in highlights but makes a lot of errors too.

I still think he's got a chance but he's not adapted to the pace and physicality of the PL at all. Hopefully he'll step up in season two. Still quite young too.
Funnily enough that is the only EPL game he has actually played 90 minutes.

Sarni

I don't think he has any issues with the pace of the game. He's picked up some neat passes and been mostly good in possession. It's hard to expect him to make no mistakes when he's been in and out (mostly out) of the side all the time.

Cina

Who would you give him games instead of if not Mata though?
Well we've had chances to drop the 3-5-2 and put another midfielder in, we've had chances to give him 30 minutes in games we could have used him in. We've been using Rooney in midfield to accommodate under-performing Falcao/RvP upfront.

There have been plenty of chances to play him in games, it's not just about dropping one midfielder for another.

Pogue Mahone

Nope, you were actually pretty harsh on Mata when he was very popular on here. You have actually started to like him more when people have begun to lose patience with his inconsistency. It's the thing with you, you mostly don't like players who are popular among fans here.
Fecking hell. We've gone over this before. You're talking out your hole. I "don't like" players I think aren't playing well. I end up pointing this out more often if they're gettting (undeserved) praise. No need for any psychoanalysis. Especially when Paddy Evra was one of my favourite ever players at a time when he was being called 'God'.

If there's any trend at all it's been me being critical of players slightly before that criticism got widespread and they ended up not making the grade. I don't think this will apply to Hererra fwiw. He's got a lot of good qualities. Just not yet put them all together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.