Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Instead of playing Herrera in midfield, we've used Rooney there, put Di Maria up top, used a 3-5-2 to use less midfielders, tried to shaft 3 strikers into our team, etc, etc. It's not a direct "but this player has been better than him" (even though I don't really think Fellaini has, overall). There have been loads of opportunities to give him a game in midfield where LvG has completely ignored him. It's actually quite unbelievable, really, especially for someone who has watched him in La Liga for the last two years and knows how good he is and what we can bring to the team if he's given a proper run of games.
It's strange when Rooney plays midfield and di Maria up top, yeah. But I do think we're overrating him a little bit more with every game he doesn't start. He started the season brilliantly then faded a bit, also we have to remember van Gaal watches them everyday in training.

Cina

You'd think we have Zidane on the bench, going by the reactions..
Or, you know, a good young Spanish midfielder whilst we instead play strikers in midfield and idiotic formations.

But sure, Zidane, whatever you think works.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
T
He's not playing for the exact same reason as the time we last played this team.

Or is a 10 days too long to remember that they're all 6ft+ and will be playing for corners and free kicks?
That's all I can think, then if they tire 2nd half, he will bring him on like last time.

Cina

It's strange when Rooney plays midfield and di Maria up top, yeah. But I do think we're overrating him a little bit more with every game he doesn't start. He started the season brilliantly then faded a bit, also we have to remember van Gaal watches them everyday in training.
The same van Gaal who constantly bemuses me with his decision making, yes.

I don't overrate him, I don't think he's a Fabregas or an undroppable player or anything, I do think he at least deserves to start a game against a league two side at home, though. He's a very good player who primarily faded in form because of a bad injury and then just not playing games.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He's not playing for the exact same reason as the time we last played this team.

Or is a 10 days too long to remember that they're all 6ft+ and will be playing for corners and free kicks?
We're at OT against a fecking league 2 side. If we can't beat them tonight LVG may aswell throw in the towel and resign, regardless of what team he picked.

Mister_Stubbs

Speaks about inbalance yet insists on playing a striker in midfield whilst a perfectly good box to box midfielder sits on the bench..

Orton

Speaks about inbalance yet insists on playing a striker in midfield whilst a perfectly good box to box midfielder sits on the bench..
Utter nonsense isn't it. Getting more frustrating now, and Fergie was one of the worst for playing players out of position.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's just the Rooney in midfield part that irks me. He's been very poor in the role since the turn of the year.

Just play them in their positions. I can see why Herrera hasn't started...but Mata has which I didn't expect.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
:lol:

You'd think we have Zidane on the bench, going by the reactions.

I don't think he will be here next season at this rate :( He's a very talented player.
He's way past Zidane at this stage. He'd be first name on the teamsheet for any team in the world supposedly.

But anyway, I'd rather he was starting a game like this. It's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a player that you won't even make use of him in a game versus Cambridge. I hate the financial waste of it.

KiD MoYeS

I think Fellaini is in ahead of him most games for his height, that and the fact he's impressed this season. I'm frustrated we haven't seen more of Herrera, but it's not as if he's set the world alight.

Cina

He's way past Zidane at this stage. He'd be first name on the teamsheet for any team in the world supposedly.

But anyway, I'd rather he was starting a game like this. It's a hell of a lot of money to pay for a player that you won't even make use of him in a game versus Cambridge. I hate the waste of it.
If you keep making up bollocks I'll just thread ban you from anything Herrera related. It's fine that you don't rate him or whatever, but don't make up nonsense to troll people, thanks.

Orton

I think Fellaini is in ahead of him most games for his height, that and the fact he's impressed this season. I'm frustrated we haven't seen more of Herrera, but it's not as if he's set the world alight.
God don't we need that height to beat the mighty cambridge at home.

Cina

He's 6ft tall, it's not like he's tiny or anything.

charleysurf

If you keep making up bollocks I'll just thread ban you from anything Herrera related. It's fine that you don't rate him or whatever, but don't make up nonsense to troll people, thanks.
Jesus, don't tell me I'm going to have to dig up that post...

Orton

You laugh, but City and Chelsea paid the price already in this round.
Of course I laugh, the Chelsea one was a freak occurrence and we ohad ours (drawing away). Fellaini will make all the difference (one of our worst players in the 1st game)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I could understand if other people were coming in and playing well...but our midfield has been atrocious all season. In fact, the only games where we've looked like we've even had a midfield, are the ones Herrera has been playing in.

The only player I can understand being selected ahead of him is Blind (or Carrick), because you need someone more disciplined than Herrera in the holding role. Everyone else who's played in midfield has basically not played there, either due to being unbelievably crap, or not actually being a midfielder, or both.

Although on the plus side I reckon from that line up that Rooney might actually be up front.

VP

This getting beyond belief. Is this the infamous Van Gaal obduracy in action?

Increasingly getting the impression that our Dutch philosopher doesn't have a clue.

Cina

Jesus, don't tell me I'm going to have to dig up that post...
if it's one post by some idiot it hardly counts, you're speaking as if it's general consensus that he's as good as Fabregas or would make it into any team in the world, it's not, you know it's not. Stop trolling, simple.
No, he's not tiny, but he's also not dominant in the air or strong from set pieces. Which is an important factor of the English game.
You're acting as if it's the be all and end all to the English game. If that's the reason he's not getting picked and Fellaini is then I sure as hell have some big concerns about old Louis' "philosophy".

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's 6ft tall, it's not like he's tiny or anything.
He wins a fair amount of challenges too, so he isn't just this cute-looking Spanish midfielder who doesn't want to get gritty.

KiD MoYeS

if it's one post by some idiot it hardly counts, you're speaking as if it's general consensus that he's as good as Fabregas or would make it into any team in the world, it's not, you know it's not. Stop trolling, simple.

You're acting as if it's the be all and end all to the English game. If that's the reason he's not getting picked and Fellaini is then I sure as hell have some big concerns about old Louis' "philosophy".
van Gaal is always quick to point out if a side is direct, full of height, or strong with the long ball, don't forget...

He also mentions the importance of balance on a weekly basis.

I'm not arguing the decision to not play Herrera is right, I'm just arguing I can see why van Gaal decides to do it.

DomesticTadpole

This getting beyond belief. Is this the infamous Van Gaal obduracy in action?

Increasingly getting the impression that our Dutch philosopher doesn't have a clue.
I am beginning to think that the more we and the press want Herrera in, the more he won't play him. He is the sort who will not be told who to play, even when he is getting it wrong.

Cina

van Gaal is always quick to point out if a side is direct, full of height, or strong with the long ball, don't forget...
And if shunting Fellaini into our team is his way of combating that, then god help us.

LR7

The current 'Not Allowed'.

Fellaini will also start against West Ham because they're big and physical (less so than previously but still...), so we better get used to this.

KiD MoYeS

We all make it out that this is a nonsensical decision, I just like to add some of van Gaal's much loved balance to the debate.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Does naybody else think he might not be a Van Gaal signing? He was wanted by both Fergie and Moyes, maybe the board just felt that this meant he was a good player and worth buying.

charleysurf

Well here's your idiot post from this thread. You can ban me or change my slogan again or whatever. Doesn't bother me. But you can't deny the hyperbole of some of the opinions on here, which is exactly what the post I was replying to was about. If I said, or the post I was replying to said, that it was the opinion of every poster that was over the top, then you'll need to point that out to me. I even said I thought Herrera should be playing tonight!

With Januzaj getting into form, we could try sth like this but Herrera will probably play only in fa cups. He could be the first name on team sheet in every team in the world. Does Herrera know Van Gaal's daughters?

Cina

Does naybody else think he might not be a Van Gaal signing? He was wanted by both Fergie and Moyes, maybe the board just felt that this meant he was a good player and worth buying.
LvG said himself ages ago that both Herrera and Shaw weren't bought by him, he just gave the go ahead, before he even took over I think.

DomesticTadpole

So Mr. Bighead is saying he knows better than SAF, who does rate him highly.

Luminous Lizard

A bit worrying he isn't getting game time in games such as this. Must be something else at play. He's a good player, don't understand his exclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.