6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Most players who are new to the PL comment on how little time they have on the ball. It's definitely not a league you'd typically say it's easy to find space in. I think you're being very optimistic there.

It might not take him until next season to be a useful player but it's highly likely he won't be at his best until the tail end of this season, at the earliest. That's just the way transfers like this usually pan out. Another factor in the long list of reasons why anyone expecting us to stroll to a place in the top four this season is in for a rude awakening.
He will have a very good season.

Spoony

The People's President
Most players who are new to the PL comment on how little time they have on the ball. It's definitely not a league you'd typically say it's easy to find space in. I think you're being very optimistic there.

It might not take him until next season to be a useful player but it's highly likely he won't be at his best until the tail end of this season, at the earliest. That's just the way transfers like this usually pan out. Another factor in the long list of reasons why anyone expecting us to stroll to a place in the top four this season is in for a rude awakening.
There's certainly a lack of space in midfield. It's always been the case in the PL.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There's certainly a lack of space in midfield. It's always been the case in the PL.
I think there's always been a lack of time, not sure if there's a lack of space.

Take this video of Fellaini vs WBA.

There are numerous times at which the player receiving the ball is quickly closed down but when he looks up the play is actually quite stretched. The tendency for more Premier League teams to go 4-4-2 means there's often huge gaps to pass or move into, especially when someone steps out. If you have the close control, strength and speed to beat the man assigned to get tight to you you'll have a clear run. Players like Barclay and Ramsey, for example, are very good at exploiting this. Premier League sides are good defending deep but they aren't particularly organised when it comes to strangling midfield. There are also numerous times in this video where Fellaini gets the ball and is able to play without much pressure on him at all. Ok, against City it'll be different, but we don't have to play City 38 times.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Still early days but Herrera's intense workrate and technical skill have been quite superb. His attitude is also drawing from from some senior squad members :

Fletcher, who’s now been playing for United longer than anybody else in the squad, possesses plenty of experience to judge his peers. And he reckons Herrera, who made his first United appearance alongside the Scot in Tour 2014's opening game against LA Galaxy, has what it takes to make a big impact at Old Trafford.

“He’s a really talented footballer,” Fletcher told ManUtd.com.

“He has great enthusiasm and great energy in midfield. He always wants the ball and is always looking to make things happen.
“His enthusiasm’s infectious – it’s rubbed off on a few of us already – and he works hard for the team. He wants to learn and listen, he takes on instructions well… and off the pitch he’s a good lad."

“He’s settled in really well and not only with the other Spanish-speaking lads. I think he’s going to be a key player for Manchester United.”

Herrera, 24, arrived from Athletic Club in late June, a day before teenage defender Luke Shaw also joined the Reds. And while both men will provide manager Louis van Gaal additional options this season, Fletcher believes their signings will also reap long-term rewards.

“First and foremost, they’re both great lads. They’re also top-quality players on the pitch," he said.
“There’s no doubt in my mind they’re great acquisitions – not just for the quality they bring to the team right now but for what they’ll bring in the future.
“They’re both young and should have many years ahead of them here. I’m sure they’ll develop into real Manchester United players and help us win trophies.”
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...can-be-key-at-manchester-united.aspx?pageNo=1

Really looking forward to seeing him in competitive fixtures for United in the 2014/ 2015 season.

@gooDevil :)

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
He's brilliant!

I predict he'll be our POTY.
I dunno, I feel like out of all our players Mata and Rooney are going to have the biggest seasons, but I have no doubt that Ander will be brilliant for us. Was just pleasantly surprised when he signed for us, now after seeing the friendlies I'm pumped that he's here.

Raw

Really can't wait for the season to start to see him in the Premier League.

Would be even better if United bought him a class midfield partner.

RuudTom83

He can't work wonders on his own!

But he is one of the many things to look forward to this season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I dunno, I feel like out of all our players Mata and Rooney are going to have the biggest seasons, but I have no doubt that Ander will be brilliant for us. Was just pleasantly surprised when he signed for us, now after seeing the friendlies I'm pumped that he's here.
I think there might be an element of sentimentality to the vote, having missed a midfield wizard since Scholes left. I'm thinking of the award voted on by the supporters, not the one the players pick.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's had one great game versus Galaxy and two decent performances so far. He'll be a fine addition.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm with Pogue in terms of my perception of his performances thus far. Brilliant first game but in my opinion he's been pretty invisible ever since.

I have no doubts as to the lads ability, but he needs to tweak his game a little if he is to be more effective as a player in midfield - especially for ourselves. At the moment, I see a player who moves off the ball for moving off the balls sake far too much. Sometimes the best midfielders know when to just stay still and provide a better option for a pass whereas Herrera moves forward after laying it off every single time, which might draw attention but it means he is now in a difficult position to receive the pass again... which leads to the fluidity of the move being affected, with inevitable passes to the side or back to the centre-back. Basically he is making it hard for the likes of Fletcher etc to find him.

Another issue I have is his failure to make the ball 'stick'. Likes of Scholes and Xavi, hold on to that ball the right time before releasing, same goes for Pirlo... they don't ball hog, but they realise just by being on the ball... they're giving their team a lift and controlling the game. It also gives them more time to make a more meaningful pass.. but at the same time they have the ability to move it around quicker, just to mix it up and not get caught on it. Herrera in the first game - struck the right balance, but I've seen him a fair few times for Bilbao and his games v Roma/Inter.. where he just gets it and one touch passes it to someone else. It helps his passing %s look good, but in terms of him controlling the game, its useless if he is going to do that all the time... we need him to get on the ball and drive with it, making things happen.. not laying it off to the likes of Fletch and Clverely, forcing them to 'direct' the game. He needs to take responsibility and conduct the game.

Final issue, quality of passing.. he hits a brilliant through ball, but his mid range passing and long passing needs more work. I think it is linked with the problem of not holding onto the ball long enough, he rushes his passes. Slow the game down and he will make more accurate meaningful passes.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I have no doubts as to the lads ability, but he needs to tweak his game a little if he is to be more effective as a player in midfield - especially for ourselves.
That's certainly true and I'm sure he would accept that. It's not just about his own play either, it's about understanding the players around him. You mention his movement after he plays a pass - I'd say he tries to move to where he thinks he'll be needed, a necessity in one/two touch play but he's making too many assumptions about his teammates. It did help make him look spectacular against Galaxy, he's played a more cautious game since then.

I've commented before that he's not the man for the Xavi/metronome role and of course he doesn't have the passing range of Scholes. But there are a lot of other ways of playing in midfield and he'll bring something of his own to the job. The important thing is not to throw drive and the quick thinking out with the impatience bathwater.

If you watch him pass, he'll always try to pass to someone. I'm sure he can learn to move to where our players need him.

Sam

I was actually a lot more impressed with the defensive side of his game today. Really didn't mind getting stuck in at all. Going forward he was a bit off though.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Not sure how he's getting so much praise for today. I think he's been anonymous since the Galaxy game.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Not sure how he's getting so much praise for today. I think he's been anonymous since the Galaxy game.
Anonymous isn't quite the right word. He's been generally good after a fantastic debut; his presence has been felt much greater than any of our other CMs on tour, even Darren Fletcher for me.

gasmanc

Banned
Excellent again, makes us tick, he's been helped immensely by his surrounding team mates knowing exactly where to be and what to do.
Van Gaal really is the real deal isn't he.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The commentator on MUTV (think it was Higgingbotham) got it bang on in saying we press a lot more and are a lot more lively in midfield (partly) due to the addition of Herrera. He may not be obviously brilliant - even though he chips in with some great passes and flicks - but he definitely brings a different edge and drive to our midfield. Imagine him next to Vidal...

Edit: that's the phrase I was looking for @gasmanc - he makes us tick! Everything seems to work with Herrera in midfield.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He has a wonderful habit of moving into space that has just been occupied. Another runner makes a run taking his marker with him and Herrera finds himself into that space. Helps us move the ball quicker and press with more intelligence.

surf

He and Fletcher make a solid midfield. I'd like to see them together again against Soton in the final, but maybe Fletcher will need a rest.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The commentator on MUTV (think it was Higgingbotham) got it bang on in saying we press a lot more and are a lot more lively in midfield (partly) due to the addition of Herrera. He may not be obviously brilliant
Only partly. In general our players are pressing a lot better. Rooney, Mata, Welbeck as well as the high line from the defenders is the reason.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's not settled in yet. I'd like to see him get on the ball more, and be more influential.

In fact, right now, although were winning, I don't think the central players are seeing enough of the ball higher up the pitch. Need to get the likes of Herrera and mata on the ball more. Although it could be argued that Herrera being a cm has to get on it more often himself.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He's not settled in yet. I'd like to see him get on the ball more, and be more influential.

In fact, right now, although were winning, I don't think the central players are seeing enough of the ball higher up the pitch. Need to get the likes of Herrera and mata on the ball more. Although it could be argued that Herrera being a cm has to get on it more often himself.
Fletcher has been more expressive in that regard with Herrera being a tad bit more reserved. It might have something to do with him adapting to his surroundings and teammates though. He will be more expressive and take more responsibility after he has settled in.

OneUnited24

I didnt think he had the best of games yesterday but you saw him take up some good positions, was open to the pass and played the ball forward which was refreshing to see. Fletcher stole the show though.

Godfather

Again thought he did well. ALways making space for himself or looking for a first time forward ball. Not as impressive as Fletch yesterday but albeit a few misplaced passes he still looked good imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fletcher has been more expressive in that regard with Herrera being a tad bit more reserved. It might have something to do with him adapting to his surroundings and teammates though. He will be more expressive and take more responsibility after he has settled in.
He is playing more further forward than fletcher though, who is picking the ball up deep and in isolated. Maybe he just needs to get more used to his team mates so that they find him in better positions, or simply has to drop deep more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Herrera did the hard work with fletcher yesterday. They kept the ball moving and never let eachother get out numbered.

It actually is a great partnership forming. If fletcher can keep this up through the season we've got a good chance.

Hamadovich86

Great movement and awareness yesterday, he closed down the opponent and was key to winning the ball back quickly. Other than a few stray passes here and there he's been solid, I feel hes helping Fletcher shine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.