6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFC Manager

The team need to start using his and Mata's passing more and stop lumping it out wide at every chance.

032Devil

I thought he was good. Didn't shy away from Shelvey taking chunks out of him and we missed him hugely when he went off. Desperately need a better player alongside him though.
He had a better player next to him. Fletcher.

Herrera was poor. 27 million! Jees!

justboy68

He was decent today I thought. Not amazing but decent. Needs more quality around him and needed much more help from Mata too. I thought his sub was a really baffling one as Fletcher was having a bit of a mare and should have been the one to make way.

acnumber9

Critics are out in full force. Baseless judgments.
Any judgements would be baseless at this stage be they good or bad. As it is I don't see anyone saying he's a bad player. Unless I've missed something you can point out for me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think we'll see him grow into the team as the weeks crack on... played very much within himself today and was keeping it extremely safe.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I love this lad and he was one of our better players. Odd that he was subbed rather than Fletcher.

He is a little Spanish maestro but who gets stuck in and harries opponents.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Clearly does when he goes off and we lose the midfield, the momentum and the match.

What we saw from Herrera was not Redondo reborn, but a competent enough performance to free up the guys in front of him. After his substitution we parted like the Red Sea before Moses.
This is a lad playing his first PL game for United, I will let him off for maybe being a bit nervous, the others out there had no excuse. Pre-season games are a lot different to league games and he didn't hide even though he was getting a kicking.

An Irish Red

I said I would not oppose the idea, not that they should come in at the moment. If Herrera does not start pulling strings in midfield such a move would be made by a footballing managerial god.
He did about as well as he could under the circumstances. It's not easy for a new signing to play in an unknown league at the best of times, it's even worse when he's playing for an underperforming side.

He has all the tools to succeed here. I really don't understand the criticism of him today, he did alright.

Hamadovich86

He had some bad passes but he made some good ones as well and did well in closing down the opponent (a bit excessively imo). Was shocked when he was subbed off only way to justify that is if he was injured but I hope that was not the case. We all knew that Herrera on his own will not solve our midfield woes. We need to buy, simple.

DomesticTadpole

He had some bad passes but he made some good ones as well and did well in closing down the opponent (a bit excessively imo). Was shocked when he was subbed off only way to justify that is if he was injured but I hope that was not the case. We all knew that Herrera on his own will not solve our midfield woes. We need to buy, simple.
When Herrera came in, we were not expecting the Carrick injury. We were funnily enough expecting more midfield signings as well.

izec

We need a top class partner for him, otherwise teams will take him out of the game and we lose control of the midfield, they are always targeting him. After the Galaxy game, Roma, Inter and Liverpool were on him too. There is no movement in front of him to play some passes, but he plays a bit reserved at the moment too. Maybe thats his role under LvG, but he has a lot more to offer than he shows at the moment. Thought he was one of our better players today. Fletcher was terrible by the way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fletcher was certainly better than Herrera - regardless of Fletcher's few bad passes.
What did Fletcher bring that Herrera didn't? Herrera pressed really well, passed it reliably apart from like 1 or 2 passes, and provided a lot of energy. There's a reason why we collapsed once he came off.

Hamadovich86

When Herrera came in, we were not expecting the Carrick injury. We were funnily enough expecting more midfield signings as well.
Carrick isnt getting any younger. Fletcher/Fellaini/Cleverley are not the kind of players we need to compete at the highest level. Herrera is by no means the sec ond coming of Scholes or Xavi but I do believe that he is a quality player. Needs someone beside him to help the team.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He did about as well as he could under the circumstances. It's not easy for a new signing to play in an unknown league at the best of times, it's even worse when he's playing for an underperforming side.

He has all the tools to succeed here. I really don't understand the criticism of him today, he did alright.
I think it is safe to say that Fletcher has been a better midfielder than Herrera? I am not sure what consensus has been, but Fletcher looks to be the one that has been pulling the string in our midfield.

Beside Galaxy and few other matches as a hypothetical, Herrera is not doing the number 8 role justice. He has made some great diagonals, but I have not seen the throughball passes which he was so good at with at Bilbao since the Galaxy game. His performance has dropped for reason unbeknownst to me,

032Devil

No he wasn't, Hernandez was worse as was Fletcher.
Hernandez is a striker. He and Rooney weren't getting any service from the wingers or midfield in the first half. Fletcher was way better than Herrera - that's why the latter got subbed.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
What did Fletcher bring that Herrera didn't? Herrera pressed really well, passed it reliably apart from like 1 or 2 passes, and provided a lot of energy. There's a reason why we collapsed once he came off.
In fairness Fletcher was terrible, even on the ball when he actually found someone, it took him ages to get it out of his feet and release it, slowed us down possibly the most of the entire side, it's no surprise Herrera was better of the pair based on just that fact, but I guess LvG thought Fletcher had the experience in the side or something? who knows.

RuudTom83

His performances so far have been solid but not spectacular.

It will go unnoticed by a lot, but he was asking for the ball constantly and he played some decent passes forward that were very close to coming off.

But 2 sloppy goals were conceded today so the attacking players will be critised for not scoring enough, but once the back line is full strength his qualities will be easier to appreciate.

bosnian_red

In fairness Fletcher was terrible, even on the ball when he actually found someone, it took him ages to get it out of his feet and release it, slowed us down possibly the most of the entire side, it's no surprise Herrera was better of the pair based on just that fact, but I guess LvG thought Fletcher had the experience in the side or something? who knows.
I think it's because he wanted to have 1 defensive minded on the pitch while putting on Fellain to have the long ball option. Should have taken off Mata if that was the case though IMO.

DomesticTadpole

Hernandez is a striker. He and Rooney weren't getting any service from the wingers or midfield in the first half. Fletcher was way better than Herrera - that's why the latter got subbed.
Couldn't understand him bring Nani on as he is another one who is supposedly off, like Hernandez. I would have tried Kagawa. Herrera was better than Fletcher.

032Devil

Herrera was poor. Out of his depth. Understandable for a player new to the Premiership. We collapsed - we lost 2-1! We played better in the second half when Adnan and (I hate to say this), Nani came on.

An Irish Red

I think it is safe to say that Fletcher has been a better midfielder than Herrera? I am not sure what consensus has been, but Fletcher looks to be the one that has been pulling the string in our midfield.

Beside Galaxy and few other matches as a hypothetical, Herrera is not doing the number 8 role justice. He has made some great diagonals, but I have not seen the throughball passes which he was so good at with at Bilbao since the Galaxy game. His performance has dropped for reason unbeknownst to me,
Fletcher seems to be playing as a deep-lying playmaker type, holding the fort for Herrera. I don't think he's very good at it though. His best attributes were always his drive and energy, not his passing.

He had Iturraspe alongsdie him playing that role at Bilbao and I doubt you'll find many that would rate the Darren Fletcher of 2014 above him. Certainly not in that role anyway.

I think it's far too early to be saying he isn't doing the role justice. The whole team underperformed today; even experienced players like Mata and Rooney created very little. He did relatively well.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I'am just gone go out and say it, not worth his transfer price at all.
Spot on TBF. Let's judge a player acclimatizing to a new country, new culture, new league, new teammates, new system in his very first competitive match. Seems rational enough.

bosnian_red

Herrera was poor. Out of his depth. Understandable for a player new to the Premiership. We collapsed - we lost 2-1! We played better in the second half when Adnan and (I hate to say this), Nani came on.
We played better in the second half until Herrera came off. How was he out of his depth? He did nothing wrong, barely gave the ball away and got fouled loads, along with him providing a lot of energy and quick passing as I said before. If he was poor, the rest of the team were awful, he looked like one of the few decent players.

Mister Ed

Definitely not an overreaction. And did you see the other players on the field today? Hardly our worst player.
He is our best midfielder of that I'am convinced, but that is no great achievement if you look at what he is up against. He hasn't convinced me off his quality yet, but I'am willing to give him more time to do that, atleast a season or two. Yet his price tag was as high as what Chelsea paid for Fabregas or Real for Kroos, now I know the situations ain't comparable, but I'am just not sure if he was worth the investment, time will tell.

032Devil

Couldn't understand him bring Nani on as he is another one who is supposedly off, like Hernandez. I would have tried Kagawa. Herrera was better than Fletcher.
Unless Herrera got an injury I'm not aware off, he got subbed because he was poor. Certainly poorer than Fletcher.

bosnian_red

I'am just gone go out and say it, not worth his transfer price at all.
Way to not sound knee jerk...
Anyways, 30m doesn't get you world class players nowadays. 40-50m does. Herrera is a very good player but isn't a deep lying playmaker, so I'm not sure why so many are expecting him to fill that role for us. He's not going to, it's not his game. He's a box to box.

Status
Not open for further replies.