Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think it's because he wanted to have 1 defensive minded on the pitch while putting on Fellain to have the long ball option. Should have taken off Mata if that was the case though IMO.
Yea as good a shout as any to be fair.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think it's because he wanted to have 1 defensive minded on the pitch while putting on Fellain to have the long ball option. Should have taken off Mata if that was the case though IMO.
This.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Unless Herrera got an injury I'm not aware off, he got subbed because he was poor. Certainly poorer than Fletcher.
More likely is that van gaal wanted to go more direct, so given that fletcher is the only defensive mid, he didn't have much of a choice. It was mata or Herrera but mata still can offer the set piece threat so he kept him on.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He is our best midfielder of that I'am convinced, but that is no great achievement if you look at what he is up against. He hasn't convinced me off his quality yet, but I'am willing to give him more time to do that, atleast a season or two. Yet his price tag was as high as what Chelsea paid for Fabregas or Real for Kroos, now I know the situations ain't comparable, but I'am just not sure if he was worth the investment, time will tell.
Better quality round him and he will get even better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is our best midfielder of that I'am convinced, but that is no great achievement if you look at what he is up against. He hasn't convinced me off his quality yet, but I'am willing to give him more time to do that, atleast a season or two. Yet his price tag was as high as what Chelsea paid for Fabregas or Real for Kroos, now I know the siautions ain't comparable, but I'am just not sure if he was worth the investment, time will tell.
I think we certainly overpaid for him but that doesn't particularly bother me given our weakness in that area and the lack of signings since.

He'll justify his fee in the same way Carrick did: by being an important part of the team for years to come. He isn't going to suddenly become a midfielder on the same level as Cesc/Kroos though.

Mister Ed

Way to not sound knee jerk...
Anyways, 30m doesn't get you world class players nowadays. 40-50m does. Herrera is a very good player but isn't a deep lying playmaker, so I'm not sure why so many are expecting him to fill that role for us. He's not going to, it's not his game. He's a box to box.
Kroos and Fabregas went for 30m, Sanchez altough he aint a midfielder did aswell.

bosnian_red

Kroos and Fabregas went for 30m, Sanchez altough he aint a midfielder did aswell.
Like you said before, different situations. Kroos had a year left on his contract, fabregas was being pushed out so obviously leaves for cheaper them normal. Apart from those two, what world class midfielder was available?

FromTheBench

He was marginally better than Fletcher and improving 2nd half.

Shouldn't have been subbed.

Mister Ed

Like you said before, different situations. Kroos had a year left on his contract, fabregas was being pushed out so obviously leaves for cheaper them normal. Apart from those two, what world class midfielder was available?
Rakitic went for €20m this summer

Last winter Matic for €25m, last summer Strootman for €20m

I'am not mad we bought Herrera but he is worth €25m at most, not €36m, but I understand the contract situation and if he was the only one available then I get why we took the bullet, yet doesn't change the fact he ain't worth his transfer price.

032Devil

More likely is that van gaal wanted to go more direct, so given that fletcher is the only defensive mid, he didn't have much of a choice. It was mata or Herrera but mata still can offer the set piece threat so he kept him on.
He reverted to 442 to give defence more protection after Mata failed to back track his man who scored a goal. If he wanted to go direct then it didn't work. Gaal is still learning about his new players.

bosnian_red

I'am not mad we bought Herrera but he is worth €25m at most, not €36m, but I understand the contract situation and if he was the only one available then I get why we took the bullet, yet doesn't change the fact he ain't worth his transfer price.
It's one of those where he's not worth it now but could be worth it long term given our situation in midfield and him still being young. And yes, we missed out on all of those for whatever reason. Now there isn't really anybody left. Vidal is the dream signing, then there's potentially khedira if we go for him (which we should). Herrera had a release clause and that was the only way to buy somebody from Atletico.

Ekeke

I thought he was average overall with 2 or 3 moments of pure class in a move with a nice touch, skill or pass. Pretty much the same as Kagawa's performances as a cm on tour. A couple of nice bits and pieces but ultimately not convincing enough.

Still the main problem in CM was definitely Fletcher

bosnian_red

He reverted to 442 to give defence more protection after Mata failed to back track his man who scored a goal. If he wanted to go direct then it didn't work. Gaal is still learning about his new players.
Don't think its that. We clearly started hoofing it at the end, mata went to centre mid and fellaini up top. It didn't work of course, but its what he tried.

Jagga7

No one played well today. Are you guys going to go to ever player thread and systematically criticize them all? Some of you are a bunch of babies. Grow up move on.

Mister Ed

It's one of those where he's not worth it now but could be worth it long term given our situation in midfield and him still being young. And yes, we missed out on all of those for whatever reason. Now there isn't really anybody left. Vidal is the dream signing, then there's potentially khedira if we go for him (which we should). Herrera had a release clause and that was the only way to buy somebody from Atletico.
Well yea don't need to call me knee jerk because i'am stating the obvious fact he ain't worth his transfer price. Knee jerk would be to say he makes Fellaini look like a good bit of business. Sure he might be worth it in the future, we'll see. Anyway I just hope we aren't going to stop with just Herrera, we need atleast one other good midfielder, Vidal would be the bomb, but as you said Khedira wouldn't be a bad alternative.

Ow and it is Athletic, not Atletico...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
No one played well today. Are you guys going to go to ever player thread and systematically criticize them all? Some of you are a bunch of babies. Grow up move on.
Might as well close the football forum if we can't have discussions.

bosnian_red

Well yea don't need to call me knee jerk because i'am stating the obvious fact he ain't worth his transfer price. Knee jerk would be to say he makes Fellaini look like a good bit of business. Sure he might be worth it in the future, we'll see. Anyway I just hope we aren't going to stop with just Herrera, we need atleast one other good midfielder, Vidal would be the bomb, but as you said Khedira wouldn't be a bad alternative.

Ow and it is Athletic, not Atletico...
Ah yeah I know got them mixed up. But even if he is a little overpriced, it isn't a ridiculous amount. He cost us 29m pounds, where in reality his price is probably worth 25m. Not a huge difference. Obviously we need another player though, that much was obvious a year ago. Even only Vidal wouldn't have fixed our problems, we always needed 2 midfield signings.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
People need to realise he's part of the solution, not the sole solution.

We've needed two very good midfielders for about 4 years. We've got one who will enhance the attacking side from the deeper midfielders but we need one who can enhance the defensive side now.

DomesticTadpole

We don't know how much having to look at Shelvey affected his performance. He has had a rough introduction to the PL but I think he will come on leaps and bounds if we buy a good midfield partner for him.

DomesticTadpole

Ah yeah I know got them mixed up. But even if he is a little overpriced, it isn't a ridiculous amount. He cost us 29m pounds, where in reality his price is probably worth 25m. Not a huge difference. Obviously we need another player though, that much was obvious a year ago. Even only Vidal wouldn't have fixed our problems, we always needed 2 midfield signings.
If we had bought Vidal and shoved him next to the Fletcher that played today, he would have struggled. Fletch has played most of the pre-season games. Maybe the pace of the PL was too much for him today and he will have to be used off the bench if we are ahead.

Mister Ed

I said €25m, that is like £20m, he cost us £29m, so it is a big difference.

Manchie

After was subbed, things looked different and we lost everything. He was clearly better than other players today.

kotha

I thought he played well,surprised reading some comments on here slating him. He wasn't the worst player out on the field today.. One thing today did reemphasize was we need another midfielder to partner him.

When is Carrick supposed to be back?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It made a difference when he went off obviously but he wasn't exactly brilliant either was he?

Blue always red

It made a difference when he went off obviously but he wasn't exactly brilliant either was he?
You have to look at the substitution that came on for him. If it had been like for like and Cleverley had come on the game wouldn't have changed as much. Ander was offering very little going forward but kept it pretty well in the back.

Acole9

Outstanding
He did alright today. Bit harsh to criticise him already, he needs time to get used to English football. I am sure giving time he will be a very good player for us.

ghagua

He was average today. Needs to play a little further up the field when we have possession of the ball. With Fletcher sitting deep, we don't need another midfielder playing as deep as Herrera played today. At times it looked like we were playing with 5 central defenders.

starman

Rakitic had a release clause.
Matic said he joined Chelsea because of Mourinho, if he was elsewhere he would have joined him there
Strootman - read threads on here before he signed for Roma, no one was up in arms about us not signing him and not many rated him.

The only way we get Herrera is if we meet his release, regardless of what you think we should have paid.

Mister Ed

Rakitic had a release clause.
Matic said he joined Chelsea because of Mourinho, if he was elsewhere he would have joined him there
Strootman - read threads on here before he signed for Roma, no one was up in arms about us not signing him and not many rated him.

The only way we get Herrera is if we meet his release, regardless of what you think we should have paid.
I know, I'am just stating that he isn't any better than those players and that they have all moved for less.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He was the only player looking for an alternative to the standard play it out to the wing/punt it over the top, although admittedly that alternative was through balls to the wing-backs, but at least he was attempting to mix it up a little. He and Mata need to get a little closer to each other and link up more though as they're the most creative outlets you have in that sense, compared to Januzaj who is a bit more direct with the ball.

bosnian_red

You need to be able to stand up for yourself in this league, can you imagine Shelvey dominating Keane or Scholes like that?
He was getting tripped, how the feck was he getting dominated? There is a huge difference between "dominated" and fouled constantly. Oh and considering we dominated possession and the game, despite Swansea normally being that type of team, wouldn't it be the other way around, that our midfield out performed theirs? The only difference was our defence was shite and made amateur mistakes gifting them goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.