Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His future depends on which formation Mourinho wants to play. If he's stubborn with Rooney in #10 then I don't see a future for Herrera in deep midfield. If we switch to 4-3-3 and Pogba comes he will be saved, I think they would work together well ahead of Carrick/Schneiderlin.

Art Vandelay

His future depends on which formation Mourinho wants to play. If he's stubborn with Rooney in #10 then I don't see a future for Herrera in deep midfield. If we switch to 4-3-3 and Pogba comes he will be saved, I think they would work together well ahead of Carrick/Schneiderlin.
I'm not sure even that will save him if he doesn't sort his passing out.

itso 7

Don't be ridiculous. Giving away a few free kicks didn't cost the team that game. The complete inability to defend them was the issue.

I do agree with the post you quoted though. His erratic passing is the biggest flaw in his game. He is a creative midfield player who can spot the right pass to open a defence but regularly misplaces it.
Everybody knew that West Ham's aerial strength vs our set piece weaknesses would be a key factor in the game and he continuously fouling in that game opened doors for them because they got their equalizer from that. It certainly contributed to us losing that match.

POF

That, or - as you previously mentioned - bad decisions when it comes to his positioning on the pitch. Letting opposition players run off him and pressing when he should hold.

All of which is a damning set of flaws for someone who aspires to play in central midfield. It's a real pity because he's such a likeable guy and has some good attributes but I'm starting to think he won't ever make the grade.
I think the passing is a bigger issue. It's easier to accept some wrong decisions defensively if he's creating numerous chances at the other end. He's a creative player and the misplaced passes let him down in that area.

I don't think he's as bad defensively as you do. He was poor against Galatasaray but he's not usually that bad.

I do think he's a player who didn't enjoy the Van Gaal style. I hope Jose's more high tempo game will get more out of him this season. If he can recapture his form from his first season everyone will be happy.

Morpheus 7

He's not did anything in pre season so far for me. He's always talking a good game off the pitch but not doing it on the pitch, for too long now. I find he can't dictate the game from midfield. Too many misplaced passes but a real lack of discipline at times. He gives away ridiculous needless free kicks at times and constantly breaks our momentum and flow to the game. I do like Herrera's attitude at times and think he cares about the team but he needs to start playing and shut up. I remember Kagawa constantly talking off the pitch when he was playing rubbish on it. I like players who doing there talking on the pitch not off it.

He's in danger of not starting regular for me. He's not playing at a number 10 we simply have better options. Looks like captain undropable will be hard to shift out of the lineup again this year, so Ander is way down the pecking order as a 10. Herrera may have to be content for the bench if he doesn't pick things up if Pogba comes.

Mike09

He won't get much games time if Pogba comes. Pogba can do everything what Herrera does. A lot of people want to see 433 with Pogba and Herrera in midfield, I actually can't see him being effective in 433 with Pogba since they both are identical. One is more complete with physical strength, dribbling skills, passing and vision ability and the other one has a limitation.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He just looks like one of the many players in our squad who have some good traits in their game but, unfortunately, they don't make the cut at top level because their overall game has lots of weaknesses. Ander can press high, that's what he's basically good at, and he has an eye for late runs in the box. These two aspects of his game (press high on the pitch/goals from midfield) can make him an option for any manager but that's when the problems start. You play him as an #8 and his lack of organizing skills, his poor defensive contribution and his bad positioning create more minuses than the pluses he offers. You play him behind the forward and you can't expect double figures in goals and/or assists and exceptional play making abilities.

As things stand and with Pogba's transfer being imminent, i suspect that he will be an option for the #10 role under Mourinho. The captain will start, for better or worse, and when things aren't going well for him his immediate sub will probably be Mata. But if we're a goal up and the opponent has put some real pressure on us, then Herrera will be an option that will allow us to basically play with three central midfielders. As for a deeper role, he might get some time there but i don't see with whom he would create a well functioning partnership. Alongside Morgan there will be no creativity through the middle and alongside Carrick/Bastian there will be huge issues when we're defending off the ball. I leave the Pogba option out simply because in such a setup Herrera would have to be the one sitting deeper, something that at list in my eyes is not an option.

I was watching the game with some friends yesterday and one of them, who's a Liverpool fan, turned to me and said at halftime: "He's your Hendo, isn't he? He's good at one thing (he can press while Henderson has an eye for second balls) and he has the odd goal in him every now and then, like Henderson, but if you look beyond that, he doesn't really make any significant difference when he's playing". It was an observation that got me thinking tbh...

luke511

With Herrera it's definitely a confidence thing, once he hits a good patch of form you won't see the back of it. We saw it around the start of his career at utd. Unfortunately I can't see him getting the opportunity to hit it whilst Rooney's about.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
With Herrera it's definitely a confidence thing, once he hits a good patch of form you won't see the back of it. We saw it around the start of his career at utd. Unfortunately I can't see him getting the opportunity to hit it whilst Rooney's about.
Hererra's never once looked even close to being able to play as a 10. If Rooney got hit by car tomorrow he'd still be behind Mata and Miki for that position. Well behind too. His only hope to get games is as a CM. Where Rooney won't be relevant.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I seem to see a lot of talk about what roles Herrera can't play - what role can he play at the top level? Or is it just possible that he's not quite good enough?

Ainu

Can't agree with that. It's a system, usually based on the coach's preference, with its own upsides and downsides. The same player can be used as a single pivot by one coach and then partnered up with another for a double pivot by another coach.
It's interesting that Busquets played most of his international games in a double pivot system with Xabi Alonso. Does the best example of a single pivot lack the positional awareness to act as a single pivot?
I meant at Barcelona of course. Perhaps I was too quick to use the word usually.

R'hllor

In the first season under LvG,we had that period where we played 4-3-3,with some really impressive displays like most dominant United side on Anfield i ever saw. Triangles on right side between Valencia,Ander and Mata were joy to watch,even on left side with Afroman were not bad. Sadly the moment Carrick got injured things collapsed.

So i think if we play 4-3-3 with him on right and Pobga on left and with DMC behind them,think Ander would look more then good sadly we gonna keep playing this 4-2-3-1 formation,man i really hate it.

luke511

Hererra's never once looked even close to being able to play as a 10. If Rooney got hit by car tomorrow he'd still be behind Mata and Miki for that position. Well behind too. His only hope to get games is as a CM. Where Rooney won't be relevant.
True, my mindset was still set to last season with that one. Replace Rooney with Pogba.

LouisDanGaal

Definitely not creative enough for a ten. He is a good passer, especially short fast tempo passing and I hope that is the way we will be playing next season. He just needs someone to play off, a set partner in midfield to develop an understanding with. Still, if we get Pogba won't be a starter this season.

Footyislife

I'm a big Herrera fan but he has to take a lot of blame for the goal (a very good one to give credit). You simpy can't let your player past that easily, you hassle him, get position etc not get stuck on your back feet.
In this situation, what could Herrera have done short of fouling Bruma? Bruma passed the ball to someone else and ran past him. This is called a one-two pass in football. Only way Herrera could have stopped that is by fouling Bruma as he runs past him, which would result in a yellow card in a competitive match. It was a good offensive move, that can be stopped if the defenders react to it. Blind was the free defender and didn't react to it, hence the goal.

I think Herrera is an average player with good potential due to his jack of all trades skill set. Some people over criticize him while others overrate him. No need to call Herrera out for bad defending or a lack of effort when he runs around the pitch with 100% intensity making tackles. You can criticize his passing during this game which was safe and mediocre. He needs to make those risky, game changing passes we saw in the 2014/15 pre-season and during his time at Bilbao. LVG has hurt his progress as a player with forcing him to change his game to make safer decisions with passing/positioning. Unless he can get rid of that, he won't make it under Mourinho and as a player at the top level.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I am slowly starting to loose faith here. I was a huge fanboy and in part in denial about his performance under LvG, but he might not just be all that good?

He is a player caught in a limbo between #8 and #10, not enough creativity and killer pass to be a #10, and not enough positional awareness and defensive contribution to be an #8.

criticalanalysis

In this situation, what could Herrera have done short of fouling Bruma? Bruma passed the ball to someone else and ran past him. This is called a one-two pass in football. Only way Herrera could have stopped that is by fouling Bruma as he runs past him, which would result in a yellow card in a competitive match. It was a good offensive move, that can be stopped if the defenders react to it. Blind was the free defender and didn't react to it, hence the goal.

I think Herrera is an average player with good potential due to his jack of all trades skill set. Some people over criticize him while others overrate him. No need to call Herrera out for bad defending or a lack of effort when he runs around the pitch with 100% intensity making tackles. You can criticize his passing during this game which was safe and mediocre. He needs to make those risky, game changing passes we saw in the 2014/15 pre-season and during his time at Bilbao. LVG has hurt his progress as a player with forcing him to change his game to make safer decisions with passing/positioning. Unless he can get rid of that, he won't make it under Mourinho and as a player at the top level.
He shouldn't have been on his back foot in the first place i.e either keep moving or having his body sidewards to anticipate a dribble/1-2 etc. I haven't seen the replay again but he was caught by a simple 1-2 on the edge of his own penalty box. It happens all the time in a game but unfortunately to him it lead to a goal.

The problem in the first half was that he was too far away from any of other intelligent players (Martial, Miki, Zlatan..basically anyone but Rooney) where he could play 1-2s, get involved in link up play etc. Add in in the lethargic pace it was a recipe of disaster for any midfielder of his ilk.

Interestingly though, in Mourinho's post-game interview, he mentioned that he told the players to not care about playing up to the speed of the game and just get minutes and feel comfortable on the pitch (referring to Martial, Rooney, Schneiderlin, De Gea etc after only training for 2 days). So maybe the players didn't push the tempo because of that.

In Rashford's interview, he said Mourinho told them to close the space and well, we saw what happened when we did.

Anyways, I'm a big Herrera fan simply because it's nice to have a midfielder, who can control the ball in tight spaces, not be scared of a press, is intelligent with his link up play AND can move around the pitch with physical purpose (i.e that rules out Mata). I'd love if we can have an actual midfield 3 and be able to control games without needing to resort to being compact and disciplined when we play against the cream of the crop.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm beginning to give up on this guy. At the moment, he looks like a nothing player.

Footyislife

He shouldn't have been on his back foot in the first place i.e either keep moving or having his body sidewards to anticipate a dribble/1-2 etc. I haven't seen the replay again but he was caught by a simple 1-2 on the edge of his own penalty box. It happens all the time in a game but unfortunately to him it lead to a goal.
I really don't think you get the difference in pace between Herrera and Bruma. Very few players could catch up to Bruma running past them like that. Think about it, you have to first turn your body and then accelerate to catch up to him. The defender isn't facing the same direction as the attacker and doesn't know what the attacker is doing. That is why defending is done as a team and not individuals. Blind has to react to close down Bruma, but Blind being the terribly nonathletic defender he is, failed to do so and it resulted in a goal.

I agree that Herrera has all the tools to be a great midfielder. He just struggles to put them together consistently and seems to be scared to express and dictate the game with his passing. Part of the reason is because LVG forced him to adapt his game to be more conservative with his passing and positioning. Herrera even mentioned that in a interview. We will see if Herrera can unlearn all of that to return to what I've seen him do at Bilbao and part of the 2014/15 season.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Needs to join some frantic, hectic, 'not bothered about giving the ball away' team.
Unfortunately, not many top managers build top teams to play in that way.

5th place is about his level in La Liga or the Premier League.
He's not even as good as Aaron Ramsey, who many on here don't rate.

rotherham_red

It's preseason guys, relax. I'm sure once Ander gets fully up to speed and once the Rooney question is dealt with, Ander will thrive alongside Schneiderlin and Pogba in a midfield 3.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
It's preseason guys, relax. I'm sure once Ander gets fully up to speed and once the Rooney question is dealt with, Ander will thrive alongside Schneiderlin and Pogba in a midfield 3.
Why are you 'sure' about that?
There's more to suggest he wont thrive.

rotherham_red

Why are you 'sure' about that?
There's more to suggest he wont thrive.
His first season when we played a 4-3-3 during that dream run-in to clinch top 4... Herrera was one of the stars and was playing really good stuff in spite of personnel being less than optimal. Even last season in the rare instances where we played a 4-3-3, such as the second leg of the Champions League qualifier, he played very well.

My only concern is Jose crowbarring Rooney into the team at Ander's expense, a la Terry and Zouma the season before last.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
His first season when we played a 4-3-3 during that dream run-in to clinch top 4... Herrera was one of the stars and was playing really good stuff in spite of personnel being less than optimal. Even last season in the rare instances where we played a 4-3-3, such as the second leg of the Champions League qualifier, he played very well.

My only concern is Jose crowbarring Rooney into the team at Ander's expense, a la Terry and Zouma the season before last.
Even if he stops 'crowbarring' Rooney in, we have Mata and Micky to slot into the #10 spot who are both easily better than Ander.

Mike09

Fellaini was also one of star and was playing really good stuff in that season. Does that mean Fellaini will also thrive alongside Schneiderlin and Pogba in midfield 3?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really want to like him as player. It's just every time I watch him I find him doing the exact same thing. As soon as he gets the ball he passes it to someone and then immediately makes a run to somewhere random. Now that's usually a good thing to have in a midfielder but over the 10s of games I've watched him I've come to a conclusion that he puts absolutely no thought to his run. It is extremely annoying to watch him now.

He is very suited for a la liga team that is happy with not achieving much - just like his runs.

izec

He still started every pre season game? I think he will get his chances throughout the season, if he doesnt take them, it will probably be his last for us. He needs to wake up, no excuses left

Shiva87

Its pre-season, and he looks like he has made through Mourinho's cut. If he is here in August, I will expect him to be in the team as a regular starter by January. With Martial, Rashford, Miki (and hopefully Pogba), there will be lots of movement and pace in the side. Ander has always looked better when things are quick, and he'll probably thrive alongside that forward line. Jose got Mata out of Chelsea when he thought Oscar was a better fit for that spot, I don't think it will take him too long to realize the same thing with Rooney.

ZDwyr

He still started every pre season game? I think he will get his chances throughout the season, if he doesnt take them, it will probably be his last for us. He needs to wake up, no excuses left
That is true but probably helped by the fact he was one of our only CM's who didn't have international duty and was available to start from the beginning of pre-season.

GloryHunter07

Van Gal crushed the best bits of his game.

If we play 433 this season Ander could flourish, but its looking more like a 4231 with Rooney at 10.

As an aside, It feels like the need to start Rooney has hamstrung the clubs options in terms of formation for years.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Carrick and Schweinsteiger are pretty much on their last legs, whereas PL is extremely fast and physical these days. I'd rather keep Herrera than the two aforementioned top quality muds who are unfortunately past their best. I doubt Mou will ship Ander out this season anyways.

Jacko21

I like Herrera and I accept he was one of many players to have fallen foul of Van Gaal's oppressive methods, but he did infuriate me last season with the number of cheap fouls, he in particular, committed.

The costliest being against West Ham at Upton Park that lead directly to a goal.

That has to be cut out of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.