Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Carrick and Schweinsteiger are pretty much on their last legs, whereas PL is extremely fast and physical these days. I'd rather keep Herrera than the two aforementioned top quality muds who are unfortunately past their best. I doubt Mou will ship Ander out this season anyways.
Carrick plays well with pace around him.

He still has the best brain in our midfield, and Jose will love that.

I can see a midfield of Carrick, Pogba and another for this season. At this point, Herrera is behind in the stakes to start.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
There are and should be plenty of minutes for him to be used if we rotate regularly. I haven't given up on him but this is certainly a make or break season for him. Feel like the new teammates and less restrictive system will make him look better this year. Hopefully Mourinho has no issue running up scores when we can, that can give our secondary players a good chance to build confidence.

That was always an issue with LVG, that we would sit back and play for the 1 goal win which had the twofold issue of 1) making the game feel like work for everyone and 2) killing confidence if and when we didn't hold on for a win.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Herrera is a squad player and a very good option to have when we are looking for goals. He is direct and willing to make riskier pass than Rooney or Mata I think. He just need to cut of his pointless running after passing the ball and cheap fouling. And yes, confidence as well.

Sparky10Legend

Even in today's market the lads a 15m player, we overpaid to the tune of 20m at the time. Very disappointing, what exactly is his usp?

It's a system where 2 midfielders share the burden of being the deepest midfielder, as opposed to a single recognized holding midfielder. Usually this means both players of the double pivot don't have the positional awareness to act as a single pivot. I don't like the system, it often gets mistreated by putting players who're completely unsuited to the role in a pivot position. Wenger has tried this with Wilshere for example, and we've seen it with Herrera. Busquets is the best example of a single pivot in the modern game.
Thanks for explaining that mate, I hadn't heard it called that before!

Man Utd 0:0 Everton (Pre-season)

Pat Evra

I think he did fantastic job in all pre-season games defensively-wise. Good pressure, good energy, also won a lot of balls and I think he is doing exactly what Mourinho wants him to do. Offensively could be better though, but I think tonight he was better than in previous games (for now). That through ball for Lingard was :drool:.

Last edited:

m1y2

great performance, really glad for him, the times he dispossessed opponent:drool: tidy on the ball as well, not panicking, almost playing like Carrick with more agility and skills. Hopefully Mourinho will like him, he's great player when the team works well

LouisDanGaal

Always think of him as a player who needs to really have his touch about him, and it is sometimes way way off. Because he is so dependent on doing everything so quickly when he does have his touch he can be great for us. Mourinho always has his favourite starting 11 and it stays that way, feel he will be in that this season.

Always think of him as a player who needs to really have his touch about him, and it is sometimes way way off. Because he is so dependent on doing everything so quickly when he does have his touch he can be great for us. Mourinho always has his favourite starting 11 and it stays that way, feel he will be in that this season.
Not if we sign Pogba he won't be. But I think Mourinho will like him.

LouisDanGaal

Not if we sign Pogba he won't be. But I think Mourinho will like him.
I don't like the idea of him as a bit part player, he loses his touch every time he gets dropped for a bit. If he isn't in the 11 he will have an awful season and be sold next summer. I do think you could be right though, if pogba comes in we need a more defensive cm.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Apart from missing Barry so easily and letting him through our midfield at the start I think he's been good. Hopefully he can build on this and maybe cement himself a starting spot this season.

Bosws87

One of the most overrated players by our own fans, he's a slightly above average centre midfielder.

m1y2

One of the most overrated players by our own fans, he's a slightly above average centre midfielder.
he's been best player on the pitch today, comments like yours aren't welcomed here, certainly not well timed

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Do people really think Pogba will be playing so deep as Ander does? Seriously doubt we'll play this formation with Paul.

Bosws87

he's been best player on the pitch today, comments like yours aren't welcomed here, certainly not well timed
He hasn't been standout in what is a very quiet match granted its a testimonial and not a competitive fixture, but watching him all last season he wasn't half the player some people claim him to be.

That is my opinion on his performances, whats the issue?

He's energetic and a buzz around midfield but he lacks the quality to pick that final pass will have a role as an impact sub this season at most i believe.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The game has been awful since him and Carrick went off. Even Jesse offered more energy.
Yeah, we used and moved the ball well in the first half, especially the midfielders. We were also quick to win it back. I supposed changing the entire lineups of both teams also effected the rhythm but yeah, appalling second half.

Don't recall us creating any chances, or even shots, besides a couple crosses and one blocked effort from Mata.

m1y2

He hasn't been standout in what is a very quiet match granted its a testimonial and not a competitive fixture, but watching him all last season he wasn't half the player some people claim him to be.

That is my opinion on his performances, whats the issue?

He's energetic and a buzz around midfield but he lacks the quality to pick that final pass will have a role as an impact sub this season at most i believe.
it's not a competetive fixture yet people are jerking out from Zlatan's performance. It's not but in this particular game he was certainly one of the best players and people acknowledged it. We were in control and it was also due to his 5 tackles/interceptions per half which is really great number, his passing wasn't any adventurous but was good enough and he had a great through ball to Lingard but you probably haven't even noticed it, neither his defensive work ... how many passes of that calibre had Rooney, Carrick, anyone who is expected to make them? Guess what zero.

I came here to say he did well, and you came here to criticise people who rate him highly yet the sentence in bold is complete bullshit, nobody praised herrera for last season, dunno what forum you read, I think everybody here acknowledged that he had a poor season and he certainly had a good game today..

Kostur

海尔的老板
Had a fecking horrible challenge in the beginning minutes where Barry just walked past him, needs to get rid of this stupid rashness because Carrick won't cover up for him but he's been a lot better than last games, pretty solid tonight. Missed his and Lingard's energy in the second half imo.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I saw positive signs and hope it continues, especially defensively he was good. Once he starts to be more positive going forward, he could really be in for a starting spot in the team

RedStarUnited

I think he will start next to Pogba. Morgan might be a little better defensively but Herrera is a much better user of the ball and has great energy too.

OldTrevil

Ander's defensive ability is underrated, he can be a very good box to box mid. Also I really want to see him moving with the ball upfield and taking more risks like his first season, something LVG clearly stopped him from doing.

Leicester 1:2 Man Utd

FreeHerrera

Was really good defensively today. At one moment he came out of nowhere to stop a Leicester counter. I feel he contributed far more than Carrick did who seemed unable to do anything besides his trademark long passes. Hopefully we'll see Herrera play far more than Carrick in the league

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was really good defensively today. At one moment he came out of nowhere to stop a Leicester counter. I feel he contributed far more than Carrick did who seemed unable to do anything besides his trademark long passes. Hopefully we'll see Herrera play far more than Carrick in the league
Agree, if he keep on doing this; applaying pressure rather than committing fouls he would be a better player.

Devil may care

Lively when he came on and made a couple of good interceptions, hope he starts against Bournemouth.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Almost feels like Mourinho is trying to mould Ander into the next Xabi Alonso. I can't remember a time in Ander's career when he's played so well as part of a double pivot. Of course, its difficult to judge based on pre-season, but its apparent that Mourinho is harnessing Ander's gifts in new ways to all his previous coaches. He is doing as much covering as pressing and he is doing both well.

Footyislife

When Mourinho talks of players still not adapting away from LVG's philosophy, he's definitely looking at players like Herrera. Before LVG he used to have more natural attacking positioning, and could make defense splitting passes. Now he is very conservative with his forward runs, and makes the safe passes. If he can't look past LVG instructions he'll be a squad player.

Devil81

I think he will link up really well with Pogba, he's fundamentally a squad player, but he's an important squad player at that.

bucky

Great name and tagline combo.

Vilev

With the way things going he will probably be sold in January or next year. Not sure he will want to extend and his chances to establish himself as a main player are done i'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.