Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike09

Don't think he did that well to be honest. There was times when he looked alright but he gave the ball away in dangerous positions a few times. He certainly didn't play as well has as I'd expect.
This.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still to be decided on him as sometimes I think yep that will do for me then other times I think he goes missing when the going gets tough!

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's a good player and all, but let's face he it, he's not world class and never will be. Lacks the technique of the top central midfielders and that's why his game will always be up and down.

m1y2

he had two really bad passes which a player of his quality shouldn't make but so had Carrick and he's arguably a better passer, apart that he was great again, he's linking the play really well, moving the ball quickly which makes us play quicker as a team which makes our midfield really balanced with Carrick trying to play little more adventurous passes and Pogba trying to dribble little more...

What we need is a proper CDM with ball playing skills, really hard to get I know but Carrick can't really play in high tempo games, he can't cover the ground and shield enoug the back four despite being great passer

criticalanalysis

he had two really bad passes which a player of his quality shouldn't make but so had Carrick and he's arguably a better passer, apart that he was great again, he's linking the play really well, moving the ball quickly which makes us play quicker as a team which makes our midfield really balanced with Carrick trying to play little more adventurous passes and Pogba trying to dribble little more...

What we need is a proper CDM with ball playing skills, really hard to get I know but Carrick can't really play in high tempo games, he can't cover the ground and shield enoug the back four despite being great passer
Again, bit of a trademark Herrera performance for me now lol. Some silky and brilliant manipulations on the ball dribbling/passing, then some bad stuff added together with a lot of good energy.

I agree with the CDM thing. I think Mourinho needs to give more game time to Schneiderlin and Schweini. It's obvious Herrera and Pogba will be our main two midfield options when fit. Carrick takes the deepest midfielder by merit and experience but the other can offer something much different. In Schneiderlin, energy and tackling, which sound like two generic things because it is but what we lose in Carrick's passing, we gain in being able to press higher and get out of the blocks faster. In Schweini, a hybrid of those two.

m1y2

amazing player, by far our best tonight, on the pitch like this you'd have though players will struggle with misplaced passes and controlling the ball and they truly are, but he's playing like it's not there... just superb tonight, in contrast with Pogba who's just as sloppy as it gets..

JeffBoomTetris

Won't call him the best so far. But definitely the most consistent. Some poor passes. But creates space so much on the right for Young and Mata yet those 2 aren't using that space properly

m1y2

he did a great job in that holding role tonight, led by example. On a horrible pitch like this nearly 90% passing accuracy is actually top display, the same goes with the other stats very good from a a player playing this position... showed us few of his trademark herrera dummy moves too

Kag

I love that first touch thing he does. It's very unique to his game, fairly predictable, yet never fails to gain a yard.

prath92

another good game. He is putting his struggles last season far behind. his passing was the only thing id complain of today but the conditions clearly wasnt ideal and he was far from the only culprit anyway

Devil may care

He has a great mentality, turning into a leader over the course of the season and was very disciipined and tight in the deeper position tonight.

Sylar

Make him captain next season :drool:

Everytime I see him play, it makes me laugh how much LVG didnt use him (or tried to stop him from pressing).

shabz

Made a couple of mistakes tonight but the pitch was awful and can factor that in to them. But he is really becoming one of the first names on the teamsheet.

OldTrevil

The thing with Herrera, and a good number of our players actually, is that the best is yet to come. Even from deep I expect a increase in goals and assists from him in the future.

ti vu

Just saying, I noctice his reading of the game has been up to a new level recently. Seem to be able to sniff the dangerous situation well. Not yet on par with peak Carrick, but he's getting there and Herrera's attributes mean once he fulfill his potential as Carrick in his prime, Herrerra would be better suit for a team playing on front foot

Saxman

Just saying, I noctice his reading of the game has been up to a new level recently. Seem to be able to sniff the dangerous situation well. Not yet on par with peak Carrick, but he's getting there and Herrera's attributes mean once he fulfill his potential as Carrick in his prime, Herrerra would be better suit for a team playing on front foot
No disrespect but as with most United players I find Carrick highly overated. Iniesta and xavi made him look like a toddler with their pressing not once but twice in consecutive cl finals. Carrick couldn't even smell the ball. I just don't see the fawning over him

ti vu

No disrespect but as with most United players I find Carrick highly overated. Iniesta and xavi made him look like a toddler with their pressing not once but twice in consecutive cl finals. Carrick couldn't even smell the ball. I just don't see the fawning over him
I think that 's before his peak which was around SAF's 2 final years. I said myself that Carrick's game is more suited to a passive team than being aggressive when losing possession.

lawliet354

I love that first touch thing he does. It's very unique to his game, fairly predictable, yet never fails to gain a yard.
Yeah I think Kroos has almost the same trick, that kind of first touch is absolutely vital to a midfielder, especially the one playing deeper

Deleted member 101472

It's not predictable at all. You try and read it, and he's opening his body up and letting it run across him. It will almost always work against defender's because they naturally follow the direction the ball is initially going. But he can change it up easily and make it less obvious what he's going to do.

ZDwyr

Very good game defensively. He's a bit loose with his passing sometimes, which is a concern when he is in the deeper role.

MounchesterUtd

I seem to recall Zizou doing the same thing, albeit when he gets the ball further up the pitch. It's that .5-1.0 second advantage that creates a huge difference going forward.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Two of the greatest midfielders of all time playing in possibly the greatest team of all time in a system that suits them perfectly and a partnership that had been in place for the best part of 10 years did that to him?

What an absolute mug. I'm surprised he can show his face in public.

Kag

It's not predictable at all. You try and read it, and he's opening his body up and letting it run across him. It will almost always work against defender's because they naturally follow the direction the ball is initially going. But he can change it up easily and make it less obvious what he's going to do.
It's predictable in that you know he's going to do it throughout the game. That's the point I'm making. That it works every time is a marker of its effectiveness.

Lawman

Very good game defensively. He's a bit loose with his passing sometimes, which is a concern when he is in the deeper role.
Yep good player but very loose with his passing i agree plus still something else about him that I can't quite put my finger on that stops me being a fully fledged fan boy

Mike09

I think I'm being harsh. In second half his positioning is a bit poor in my opinion. Played as a holding midfielder should be the pivot point and link in between the defender and midfield or winger and also become a protection for the back four. Last night I saw him stayed more on the right side like a right back than in the middle or the left side. So when Pogba or Mkhytaryan had the ball on the left side, there was a massive space in the middle which means reducing the option for other players to pass the ball to and if one of them loses possession the opposition player will be facing the defender without a protection from the no6. This might just be a small problem but if we facing a team with high pressure we might get punished.

Last edited:

Mike09

You are looking at different type of players. Carrick is more type of player like Busquest and Alonso. They are slow but able to cover this weakness with great positioning and the ability to read the game well. Carrick played with Anderson and the old Ryan Giggs against Iniesta and Xavi of course Iniesta and Xavi made him look like a toddler with their pressing. Playing by himself against two best midfielders isn't easy.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I think I'm being harsh. In second half his positioning is a bit poor in my opinion. Played as a holding midfielder should be the pivot point and link in between the defender and midfield or winger and also become a protection for the back four. Tonight I saw him stayed more on the right side like a right back than in the middle or the left side. So when Pogba or Mkhytaryan had the ball on the left side, there was a massive space in the middle which means reducing the option for other players to pass the ball to and if one of them loses possession the opposition player will be facing the defender without a protection from the no6. This might just be a small problem but if we facing a team with high pressure we might get punished.
I thought I noticed that too, but it was more the fault of both Pogba and Herrera. They failed to come closer together when the ball was deeper to have the simple short pass to build through the middle.

I'm only speaking of one passage of play though, since I had the game running in the background so I can't speak for the whole match.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He really wanted a yellow card last night didn't he :lol: seemed to progressively get worse with his tackling until he got booked.

DWelbz19

On the topic of his turns, I feel like this needed to be posted at some point.

Dec9003

I was impressed with him last night, he did well and is really consolidating himself in the team now. I think I'd have him over Carrick on Sunday, Herrera is more physical and Spurs are a very scrappy team. His passing still ranges from a bit erratic to being a bit too safe, but other than that he's doing a great job this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.