5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Did you watch him when he was on? He was terrible tonight!

Herrera is a someone who really has lost his way this season. He was great against yeovil but apart from that he's out in some appalling performances. Tonight he misplaced 3 passes which were not intercepted but he actually failed to accurately pass the ball 10 yards to another player, including one incident when he passed it straight off the pitch!

He's clearly a good player but has been terrible this season and I think mourinho has an issue with him.
He needed to come on to make it a three. Him taking Pogba off and then using him to replace Fellaini threw a right spanner in the works. Also the team were completely flat, it is hard coming into that situation.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He didn't help his case with his performance when he came on but should have started with him in a 3
He needed to start. We gave the game up as soon as he decided to leave us completely open with a midfield two. Matic was awful and has been for a while. I don't even know what Pogba was.

edcunited1878

His instructions have changed from last year and it's messed with him. Jose needs to carve out a role with him and Matic freeing up Pogba when control is needed.

We know Felliani's strengths, but with him out again according to reports (knee), Ander has to start these big games with specific instructions and go 100% within those boundaries.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
For this season a midfield three of Pogba, Matic and Herrera is comfortably our best option. It frees up Pogba, allows us to defend further up the pitch and gives Matic the chance to properly shield the defense. It was so easy for Spurs to play through our midfield two and get the ball up to Kane to bring others into play.

sugar_kane

Convinced he's off at the end of the season. Based on his Instagram he's back in Spain every chance he gets, wouldn't be surprised if he's homesick and ends up for a club in La Liga next summer.

NoPace

Convinced he's off at the end of the season. Based on his Instagram he's back in Spain every chance he gets, wouldn't be surprised if he's homesick and ends up for a club in La Liga next summer.
It makes little sense for us to move him I think, since he's been good enough as a 6 that he should be Matic's backup. That role and being the backup to Pogba and new shiny CM should get him enough minutes, though Mourinho might have Fellaini ahead of him oh god I'm mad again.

If he does move to La Liga, though, I could see him being Gabi's replacement (he's 34 now) at Atletico, or a nice fit at Sevilla with their general style of play, or obviously he could go back to Bilbao and partner with Iturraspe again.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Can't really blame him for swapping his warm, hometown for his cold, working-city during his time off. Other players probably do it just as much but you don't see it on Instagram.

Inter Yer Nan

Really just needs to take his chance the next time Jose plays a 3 in the middle and make himself an important and undroppable player for the rest of the season. I think a Pogba-Matic-Herrera midfield will be our way to go in Europe. We aren't going to beat the big boys with 4-2-3-1 and Pogba having a restricted role.

Canagel

There are reports that Mourinho is still angry with him for bringing a friend with links to Celta Vigo into the club ahead of the game last season. I don't know how accurate these reports are but it's a valid reason why Herrera hasn't played much this season.

diplomat

I've been thinking and saying this for some time. Herrera doesn't seem committed as last season and Jose has probably seen that in training, which is why he barely plays.

It's a shame as it means we might have to buy 3 midfielders in the summer, especially if Pereira is a goner as well.

Web of Bissaka

Possible comeback? especially against Pool where we need extra defensive covers from the midfield.

25th Feb: EPL against Chelsea, home Old Trafford.

10th Mar: EPL against Liverpool, home Old Trafford.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Not playing much at all.

Our balance is all wrong. Ander needs to salvage his season. So many games coming up. I've been very critical of him mainly for his lack of creativity and shooting.

But we are set up all wrong and I think we need his energy.

I've seen reports that AC Milan are interested in him, I think he will go in the summer unfortunately. Jose really has made a pigs ear out of things especially the balance of the team, his treatment of Herrara is one of the things.

Last season the midfield was unbalanced because we didn't have a DM so Jose asks Herrera to play there which is fine, and he did a good job. So most of us thought, well I did anyway, OK buy a DM in the summer and just push Herrera forward back to his original role. What does Jose do? He buys Matic and then puts Herrera back on the bench and then some days not even making the team squad. It's no surprise he's lost form and confidence not to mention his contract issue doesn't help the situation either.

Now he's not in the best form and we badly need his energy and presence in midfield at least till the end of the season, I do hope he can find a way to pick things up until the end of the season for the teams sake.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He was actually looking very good, best I've seen him in a while, shame he got injured.
Yeah. That early through ball to Alexis was vintage Ander. Then he did his hamstring. We can’t catch a break with him this season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What a shame, hopefully it's nothing serious although the way he immediately realised that he needed a substitution was not promising

Kag

He's had a poor season but he's still comfortably one of our better players, for me. His first 15 minutes was classic pressing, moving and trying to get involved. The sort of drive we generally lack across the pitch, be it tactical or not.

ravi2

I've seen reports that AC Milan are interested in him, I think he will go in the summer unfortunately. Jose really has made a pigs ear out of things especially the balance of the team, his treatment of Herrara is one of the things.

Last season the midfield was unbalanced because we didn't have a DM so Jose asks Herrera to play there which is fine, and he did a good job. So most of us thought, well I did anyway, OK buy a DM in the summer and just push Herrera forward back to his original role. What does Jose do? He buys Matic and then puts Herrera back on the bench and then some days not even making the team squad. It's no surprise he's lost form and confidence not to mention his contract issue doesn't help the situation either.

Now he's not in the best form and we badly need his energy and presence in midfield at least till the end of the season, I do hope he can find a way to pick things up until the end of the season for the teams sake.
It's sad, he was my favorite player last season and gave his all, I thought he and matic would have formed the ideal midfield 2 but it seems like that isn't to be

Sylar

We've been worse since he went off
Apart from him and Sanchez nobody else presses

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah. That early through ball to Alexis was vintage Ander. Then he did his hamstring. We can’t catch a break with him this season.
It such a shame because an in-form Ander who can press and play the occasional through ball would be a terrific foil to Matic and Pogba in the ‘mythical’ midfield 3 everyone desires.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Really awful time to get injured considering issues with Pogba and Matic form. Hoping for good news, but not optimistic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, that was the Herrera of last season. He won the ball or quick turn and play through pass on the ground. Last season he did against Spurs and Chelsea which ended up in goals.

Shame he got injured.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Shame was one of the bright players we had on the pitch, great pass to find Sanchez. Typical Herrera winning the ball and quickly releasing it. Perhaps his comeback came too soon after his injury but we were in desperate situation, hope it is not much serious, we will need him at the end of the season..

diplomat

Any news on his injury?
Mourinho said it was a bad injury in the post-match press conference.

He also seemed to blame the medical team for it as Jose said they reported that Herrera is "100%" fit, but as it turned out after the injury and another check on the problematic area, the Spaniard had not recovered fully and in fact was not fully fit as declared by the doctors. So it's a very strange situation.

JoaquinJoaquin

Can't help but feel that may of been his last chance when it comes to starting in an important game for us. Between his recent injury woes and his loss of form, you can see why Mourinho needs to buy a CM in Summer. Said CM will be ahead of Herrera in the pecking order.

Web of Bissaka

His playstyle seemingly changes every season. Or the different roles of different managers affect him that much to a point of losing some of his traits.

LVG,
1st season: Playmaker + Attacking midfielder + Holding midfielder (one of our best players of the season).
2nd season: N/A (Out of squad - don't know why).

Mourinho,
3rd season: Holding midfielder + B2B + Defensive midfielder (lost that creativity and finishing skills, weird, one of our best players of the season).
4th season: N/A (Barely playing, injuries, bad forms and Matic).

2nd season syndrome per manager?

I seriously thinks he's carrying hampering-niggling injuries, which he may got from last season and worsened during the pre-season, but is not serious enough to stop making him available. Mourinho and him just doesn't come out and use it as an excuse. Herrera strike me as a player that doesn't mind playing with injuries. Still, should've played better when given the chances.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Disappointed in his time here even last season (his best season) his type of performances highlighted his short comings. Did well enough last year but just always felt we could get better.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

His playstyle seemingly changes every season. Or the different roles of different managers affect him that much to a point of losing some of his traits.

LVG,
1st season: Playmaker + Attacking midfielder + Holding midfielder (one of our best players of the season).

Mourinho,
3rd season: Holding midfielder + B2B + Defensive midfielder (lost that creativity and finishing skills, weird, one of our best players of the season).

I seriously thinks he's carrying hampering-niggling injuries, which he may got from last season and worsened during the pre-season, but is not serious enough to stop making him available. Mourinho and him just doesn't come out and use it as an excuse. Herrera strike me as a player that doesn't mind playing with injuries. Still, should've played better when given the chances.
It was because LvG decided to move to a double pivot with Schweinsteiger(playmaker) and Schneiderlin(Destroyer). I think that decision ended up costing him the job.

haram

LVG,

Mourinho,

It might be just that he isn't really great at anything in particular and the two managers just thought he was someone we could upgrade on. Certainly from a DM aspect Matic is the superior player.

sherrinford

It might be just that he isn't really great at anything in particular and the two managers just thought he was someone we could upgrade on. Certainly from a DM aspect Matic is the superior player.
I wouldn’t say I disagree, but I certainly wouldn’t say Matic has been an upgrade on what Herrera gave us for the second half/ final third of last season. For me, there were more sensible positions to buy for.

haram

I wouldn’t say I disagree, but I certainly wouldn’t say Matic has been an upgrade on what Herrera gave us for the second half/ final third of last season. For me, there were more sensible positions to buy for.
With all due respect, this is a very weird opinion to have.

sherrinford

With all due respect, this is a very weird opinion to have.

Is it really? Matic started the season on fire and has stepped up lately, but his performances between these periods were rather lethargic in comparison. Herrera ended the season playing in Matic’s position and was our best player, giving us a longer period of strong performances in that area of the pitch than Matic has (so far).

torrent

There is not only number 7 curse, there is POTY curse too. Only DDG kept playing the same after he won it. Other players, in next season, didn't looked the same.

haram

Is it really? Matic started the season on fire and has stepped up lately, but his performances between these periods were rather lethargic in comparison. Herrera ended the season playing in Matic’s position and was our best player, giving us a longer period of strong performances in that area of the pitch than Matic has (so far).
Yeah it is. You’re entitled to your opinion though. Don’t thing anyone else will agree with you.

sherrinford

Yeah it is. You’re entitled to your opinion though. Don’t thing anyone else will agree with you.
I think the general perception of these players and their natural styles and positions make the statement seem outlandish but it’s really not when you look at the performances. Do you disagree that Matic hasn’t maintained the very high level he showed in his first few games here? Do you disagree that Herrera was our strongest performer last year? Or at the very least one of the strongest performers for the final third of the season? Do you disagree that he was playing as a holding midfielder during this period? You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but do you really think Matic ended last season outperforming Herrera, the player who was already operating in his position in our side? That would be a very strange opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.