6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

The MUTV reporter asked him a question about 6 wins in a row and some other things. His reaction to it was on the lines that we had a bad start to the season and haven't done anything. So let us have our feet firmly on the ground.

I said a while back that he sets the tempo for the aggression in our team.Such an important and influential figure for the team and yet it's taken him,no fault of his own,alittle too long to establish himself in the centre for us.

Never understood LVG and Jose's sporadic usage of him in their second seasons,especially so when he was one of a select few who were usually one of the more consistent performers in their debut (managerial) seasons at United.

Never forgive LVG replacing him with a out of his depth Schniederlin and a clearly past-it Schweinstieger (who Bayern were happy to part with.Never a good sign) in 2015/2016.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
A bit yes . He is above average just . There's no way he would be playing for any club above us or any other top club in Europe
Liverpool have Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner playing for them in their midfield. Spurs have Winks and Sissoko and Winks. Arsenal have Xhaka. Do you seriously think that he is not better than any of those players?

lsd

The Oracle
Liverpool have Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner playing for them in their midfield. Spurs have Winks and Sissoko and Winks. Arsenal have Xhaka. Do you seriously think that he is not better than any of those players?

He really isn't. For some strange reason most of the cafe think he is godlike because he runs around the pitch and winds opposing players up . He is a above average player nothing more and certainly not a player a team looking to win titles would want starting week in week out

izec

He really isn't. For some strange reason most of the cafe think he is godlike because he runs around the pitch and winds opposing players up . He is a above average player nothing more and certainly not a player a team looking to win titles would want starting week in week out
I wouldnt trade him for any of them, but thats just me. The 'runs around the pitch and does nothing' narrative is quite funny. It is like some of you lot havent moved with the times, football is a running game more than ever nowadays. We have seen under Jose that if you dont run and dont have the workrate, you get dominated by most teams in the league. Some of you portray running like it is below them, like players just run around without having a clue what they do.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am sorry, there is no point arguing anymore. You probably shouldn't visit this thread anymore.

Andrew~

Liverpool are currently top of the league and they habitually start the likes of Milner, Shaqiri, Henderson, Wijnaldum. Maybe he is just above average, but so are those guys and they are helping their team put in a strong PL campaign.

lsd

The Oracle
I haven't said the guy is bad I know since he has done a job for us when asked over the past 5 or 6 years when we have mostly been outside the top four .

Like a few other players he is also one of the reasons we are outside the top 4 . As much as people may overrate him he simply isn't good enough to be at a club looking to win titles .

He is not alone in that in our team currently but he is by far the most overrated player on here . That's why I comment on him just to give some balance to those who seem to think he is Roy Keane reborn.

Andrew~

I haven't said the guy is bad I know since he has done a job for us when asked over the past 5 or 6 years when we have mostly been outside the top four .

Like a few other players he is also one of the reasons we are outside the top 4 . As much as people may overrate him he simply isn't good enough to be at a club looking to win titles .

He is not alone in that in our team currently but he is by far the most overrated player on here . That's why I comment on him just to give some balance to those who seem to think he is Roy Keane reborn.
As I said, the team that is currently in pole position to win the league has a bunch of players who are average-above average. So how can you say he's not good enough for a team that's looking to win titles? Liverpool were in the CL Final last year with a bunch of average players and one amazing one.

Brightonian

As if all he does is run ffs. There are so many strings to his bow. He has that very good technical grounding you'd expect from a Spanish player, yielding a superb first touch, elegant passing and fast thinking. He also makes the mental transition between attack and defence (and vice versa) more quickly than anyone else on our books. Watch how as he is sliding into a tackle he is already thinking about it as a pass - not just an attempt to take the ball away from the opponent, but also to send it towards a teammate. And even before we lose the ball he knows where he is going to be if we do, which is what makes him so good at man-marking.

He's incredibly hard working but his feet and his brain are worth twice what his engine is. Just because he doesn't dribble doesn't mean he doesn't have quality.

Ekeke

:lol: How do you suppose we'd get the ball without him? He wins the ball the most out of every CM in the league this season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I am sorry, there is no point arguing anymore. You probably shouldn't visit this thread anymore.
He can only be a WUM. No one can be this wrong about a player.

Ekeke

It sounds like you only have an understanding of attack and simply dont understand, appreciate or respect what a player like Ander does for the team when you dont have the ball.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The tone in my original point, which I think you've missed, stems from the fact that Herrera is absolutely worshiped by fans for playing for the shirt. Yet this idea is not compatible with the fact that he is willing to risk leaving the club by trying to negotiate, through his agent, for more money. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with this but I find it interesting how this sort of issue was almost unheard of at our club under Fergie, except for Rooney. Even in that situation, there is an argument to be made that Fergie wanted Rooney gone because he saw the decline.
Off the top of my head, Keane and Rio had similar incidents.

Herrera has been on the bench for the last 18 months. It's quite likely the club are attempting to pay him as such. He wants to be first choice and that looks likely going forward, and the hold up might be that he's asking for that level of pay.

Equally, and probably more likely, he simply wants to be play as first choice and is waiting to see how likely that looks. Ultimately, most players reach a point in their late 20's where they don't want to be squad players anymore and wish to play the majority of games. I don't think anybody would accuse the likes of Nicky Butt, John O'Shea or Phil Neville of not loving the club, but they all made that move. Nobody holds that against them, and Herrera is now facing the same situation.

0le

Off the top of my head, Keane and Rio had similar incidents.

Herrera has been on the bench for the last 18 months. It's quite likely the club are attempting to pay him as such. He wants to be first choice and that looks likely going forward, and the hold up might be that he's asking for that level of pay.

Equally, and probably more likely, he simply wants to be play as first choice and is waiting to see how likely that looks. Ultimately, most players reach a point in their late 20's where they don't want to be squad players anymore and wish to play the majority of games. I don't think anybody would accuse the likes of Nicky Butt, John O'Shea or Phil Neville of not loving the club, but they all made that move. Nobody holds that against them, and Herrera is now facing the same situation.
Yeah, you are probably right.

Ban

How can he be the reason we're outside top 4 since he didn't play that much until Ole came. Baffling.

Ban

And he should probably watch more football to understand it.

I mean 'he just runs around and winds opposition players up.'.
Ffs:lol:

cyril C

How can he be the reason we're outside top 4 since he didn't play that much until Ole came. Baffling.
It still puzzle me as how Mourinho see him. In the Chelsea win last season everyone knows how influential Herrera can be, then suddenly in 2nd season he hardly used him, even McTom and Fellaini started above him in pecking order.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It still puzzle me as how Mourinho see him. In the Chelsea win last season everyone knows how influential Herrera can be, then suddenly in 2nd season he hardly used him, even McTom and Fellaini started above him in pecking order.
Herrera missed 5 weeks with injury last season. Even then he played more minutes than Fellaini and McTominay combined. Fellaini and McTominay have never been above him in the pecking order. We started with a midfield of Matic and Pogba with Mkhitaryan/Lingard behind the striker for the 1st half of last season. Once Herrera became fit again we transitioned to a midfield of Matic, Pogba, Herrera.

We played Herrera in the FA cup semis and final. He played in our most important games.

Ekeke

Herrera missed 5 weeks with injury last season. Even then he played more minutes than Fellaini and McTominay combined. Fellaini and McTominay have never been above him in the pecking order. We started with a midfield of Matic and Pogba with Mkhitaryan/Lingard behind the striker for the 1st half of last season. Once Herrera became fit again we transitioned to a midfield of Matic, Pogba, Herrera.

We played Herrera in the FA cup semis and final. He played in our most important games.
Mourinho's first games had Fellaini starting as DM iirc. Ander forced his way into the big games later on by playing well in the games he did get, its what he's done with each manager. He's definitely been behind Fellaini in the pecking order at times, but when Ander gets games and is one of our best players hes obviously going to get some chances in some bigger games.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mourinho's first games had Fellaini starting as DM iirc. Ander forced his way into the big games later on by playing well in the games he did get, its what he's done with each manager. He's definitely been behind Fellaini in the pecking order at times, but when Ander gets games and is one of our best players hes obviously going to get some chances in some bigger games.
Strange to talk about his first games. Rooney started as 1st choice as well and now he's retired. Martial started off as 1st choice and then became a squad player. Fellaini was above Herrera at the beginning because that's how it was under LVG. That's what managers do, they see what the players are about and have a look at every option. Herrera was one of the first names on the team sheet with Pogba once he got his chance in 16/17. Then he became a squad player with the arrival of Matic.

Kag

Herrera has started 130 games in all competitions for United. Fellaini, having been here a full season longer, has started 106 games.

Herrera has seldom been behind Fellaini in the pecking order and rightly so.

Ekeke

Strange to talk about his first games. Rooney started as 1st choice as well and now he's retired. Martial started off as 1st choice and then became a squad player. Fellaini was above Herrera at the beginning because that's how it was under LVG. That's what managers do, they see what the players are about and have a look at every option. Herrera was one of the first names on the team sheet with Pogba once he got his chance in 16/17. Then he became a squad player with the arrival of Matic.
He won a place and then won player of the year, but he wasnt Mourinho's pick. He was just playing too well to drop. It was the same under LVG. Mourinho wanted Matic instead. Neither of them appreciated him unfortunately

worldinmotion66

Ander was sensational again today. He covers so much ground, is so intelligent in his movement and has great defensive anticipation. Man of the match by a distance for me.

Devil may care

Another strong performance, some nice moments on the ball in the first half and was everywhere covering in the second half, his workload due to Matic is high when teams start pressurising us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So, so important for us. When he had that shot saved from the left and was first to get across to the right to block the pass epitomizes him. Was very good right up to the final whistle. Tracked runners and cut out danger all game, and used the ball well when he had it.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Now we are finally seeing what a good player he is when used properly. The lost years make me angry.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's so frantic, he's everywhere doing everything all the time... Which is great, though it doesn't really bring an air of calm when we perhaps need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.