View full 2018-19 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Maldini was very good. He won the ball a lot for his team via interceptions and positioning like Herrera did for us last night.

I am glad you are backtracking on your claim that stats are of 'little use' and are also acknowledging that Herrera played better last night. I disagree that Matic had a good game but we should discuss that in his thread instead of derailing this one further.
I never said Herrera didn't have a good game. I gave him a 9/10 in the match ratings (and Matic an 8), but i did that because i watched the game. I don't care how many interceptions whoscored.com say he made or how many tackles. When you see a list of stats its usually from the posters who don't know what they're on about (Smalling thread, Pogba thread and so on) or a Ronaldo vs thread.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Why has he been so horribly mismanaged in his United career? Everytime he's looked this good he's been omitted, Ole seems like the type to keep playing him though thankfully for yourselves.
That has always been strange. He would play well, be ignored, play, ignored and so on for no obvious reasons. That's why the perception of his performances has always been misguided. He's rarely played poorly for us and I've always said he is good enough for a CM at Manchester United. The weird thing is he's been of a fair few players receiving similar treatment under past regimes.

He loves United, genuinely. Such humility to work as hard with his future not penned yet. Typical, all-round Man United CM.

youmeletsfly

I liked how he actually stopped some crosses, just stopped them and then passed the ball. (compared to Lukaku who can't stop a fecking pass)
He had the b@lls to stop the ball dead in our box and not panic.

izec

Why has he been so horribly mismanaged in his United career? Everytime he's looked this good he's been omitted, Ole seems like the type to keep playing him though thankfully for yourselves.
Van Gaal didnt like him. Herrera was not robotic and safe enough for him, he was too instinctive. He had to change his game a lot to fit his philosophy, and sometimes he didnt play to van Gaal's liking and got dropped. He could score a goal and make an assist, but with van Gaal other things matter more, like decision making and positioning for example or if you exactly played like he said to you. So if he would be box to box and played terrific, that could mean the bench for him for a few weeks, because van Gaal wanted something else. I remember when he always told him to take a touch before a shot or pass instead of going for it directly.

Mourinho was more baffling. First season starter and played really well, then bought Matic and Jose preferred Pogba, Matic and Fellaini to him. It is quite a weird one, since he is a Jose type of player with his character and attitude, maybe not play style with his lack of pressing. Then the talk about mad dogs when he benched the mad dog in our squad. With Jose i dont know if he is genuinely stuck in the past or if he is doing things wrong on purpose. His interviews were garbage here, but then you watch him as an expert, and he knows everything and talks well. As soon as he went back here as manager, he did baffling things. Jose also never really had a starting eleven here, chop and change on a weekly basis. I dont think he knows what he is doing after a while in a job nowadays and just makes the wrong decisions again and again.

Pace Abuser

One of the accomplished midfield performances in the English game that against Chelsea. He did everything, everywhere.

yfoFC

Van Gaal didnt like him. Herrera was not robotic and safe enough for him, he was too instinctive. He had to change his game a lot to fit his philosophy, and sometimes he didnt play to van Gaal's liking and got dropped. He could score a goal and make an assist, but with van Gaal other things matter more, like decision making and positioning for example or if you exactly played like he said to you. So if he would be box to box and played terrific, that could mean the bench for him for a few weeks, because van Gaal wanted something else. I remember when he always told him to take a touch before a shot or pass instead of going for it directly.

Mourinho was more baffling. First season starter and played really well, then bought Matic and Jose preferred Pogba, Matic and Fellaini to him. It is quite a weird one, since he is a Jose type of player with his character and attitude, maybe not play style with his lack of pressing. Then the talk about mad dogs when he benched the mad dog in our squad. With Jose i dont know if he is genuinely stuck in the past or if he is doing things wrong on purpose. His interviews were garbage here, but then you watch him as an expert, and he knows everything and talks well. As soon as he went back here as manager, he did baffling things. Jose also never really had a starting eleven here, chop and change on a weekly basis. I dont think he knows what he is doing after a while in a job nowadays and just makes the wrong decisions again and again.
This was about the dumbest thing that man did, it is bordering on psychopathic self delusion when you are complaining about not having mad dogs but benching the about the best mad dog there is in the league.

yfoFC

Martial might be a younger and a flashier deal to tie down but this will be just as key IMO.

Weirdly enough, I've never lost any sleep about his contract situation as I just can't see him moving anywhere else unlike the DDG, pogba, martial cases.

Almost like a homegrown player, our mad dog Ander.

scholesyboy18

Van Gaal was terrible , so was Moyes. Playing Rooney and Fellaini in midfield and keeping Herrera on bench was ridiculous whichever way you look at. Herrera is an instinctive player with great energy levels and he is a must in a 2 man midfield.

Martial might be a younger and a flashier deal to tie down but this will be just as key IMO.

Weirdly enough, I've never lost any sleep about his contract situation as I just can't see him moving anywhere else unlike the DDG, pogba, martial cases.

Almost like a homegrown player, our mad dog Ander.
He loves it here there's no doubt if we offer him a new deal he'll stay.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He loves it here there's no doubt if we offer him a new deal he'll stay.
*As long as he feels he'll be first choice.

I'm guessing that is the hold-up at the moment. He's spent most of the last few years being only a squad player here, and likely that is what the contract we were offering him reflects. I presume he is holding out until he feels that he is considered to be first choice, both by the manager and the club (and therefore the wage we are offering should reflect that). Hopefully he's proven enough since Ole took over that it'll get done soon.

Rish Sawhney

If I were him I'd be asking for a lot more money than what I expect the club's first offer was. He knows he's a very important senior player in the squad and it makes sense for him to ask for at least 250k a week.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Three year contract for Herrera and 5 years contract for Jones, makes sense.

Inter Yer Nan

I remember hearing something like when Herrera scored a header arriving at the back post on the left hand side vs. Everton in a 3-0 away win Herrera got a bollocking from LVG for playing out of position. That was our best performance up to that point that season and Herrera was MOTM. That was in 2015.

Mourinho certainly looked like he was doing things wrong on purpose. I think he just wanted to be smarter than everyone and when results went wrong he couldn't swallow his pride and do what he and everyone knew were the right things. LVG was the same.

SAFMUTD

A real shame he is already 29 and will be 30 at next season's start. We should had played him like this since he arrived 4 years ago, we completely wasted him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Big game for Herrera on Sunday. Can he get on the ball and do something against this midfield? Liverpool will be happy to give us the ball and pick us off on the break so time for Ander to show that he can be effective in possession as well as when we don’t have the ball.

KennyBurner

Just take a look at this warrior! Can you believe there was a time I actually fell out of love with him? Damn you mourinho!

Also with each and every passing game most of our players are now gaining the confidence to actually pass with COMPOSURE. Its been a lost art of ours for some time. Even ashley young nowadays has started making inverted passes instead of his usual longballs to an unwanting lukaku. Its a matter of time before we get back to that culture of playing with class and its good to have players like herrera who can do that while also being a nuisance to the opposition.

yfoFC

Just take a look at this warrior! Can you believe there was a time I actually fell out of love with him? Damn you mourinho!

Also with each and every passing game most of our players are now gaining the confidence to actually pass with COMPOSURE. Its been a lost art of ours for some time. Even ashley young nowadays has started making inverted passes instead of his usual longballs to an unwanting lukaku. Its a matter of time before we get back to that culture of playing with class and its good to have players like herrera who can do that while also being a nuisance to the opposition.
That's a very good point you've brought up and one I feel is not highlighted enough.

It is criminal how much people downplay confidence in doing even the most basic of things such as passing the ball and composure to do it under pressure.

You would never see us play with such confidence under you-know-who and that's why I laugh whenever I hear people say the players downed tools, they just didn't have the confidence to play in the way they can. Simple.

Man Utd 0:0 Liverpool

Devil may care

My heart sank when I saw he was injured, there's an international break coming up though, right? So hopefully that will give him enough time to get fit, but this is what comes from not being able to rotate the midfield, you can't play like Ander does without some rotation.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I noticed Herrera went down with the injury not too long after he took a knee to the hamstring he was holding from Matip (when he stepped across him to prevent him running into the box). I wonder if he just got a dead leg from that and thought his hamstring had gone. Though maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Sylar

I noticed Herrera went down with the injury not too long after he took a knee to the hamstring he was holding from Matip (when he stepped across him to prevent him running into the box). I wonder if he just got a dead leg from that and thought his hamstring had gone. Though maybe I'm just being optimistic.
Yeah, thats where I thought it happened too. He gets celebrated for a lot of his shithousery (which hes great at) but the way he moves, presses and his on the ball ability is often underrated. Hes a good passer of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.