6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Imagine if we had a top RB he could link with. He’d win the ball back and give it to a fullback rampaging down the right :drool:.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Complete midfield performance tonight. His best in a red shirt surely?
It's certainly up there, but I think I'd still go with his performance away to Liverpool in José's first season. The 0-0 draw. Then there's his performance in the 4-2 beating of City.
I think he might be the most hard working player I've seen play for United. Active when we have the ball, our most active player when we dont have the ball. He's always doing something
I think it's still Tevez for me. Though I wouldn't argue against Ander!
Imagine if we had a top RB he could link with. He’d win the ball back and give it to a fullback rampaging down the right :drool:.
In my opinion, we had that in the few games Varela played under van Gaal. In said games our attacking down the right went up so many levels. Then he made that mistake vs Coutinho and that was that.

You're right, though. I was hoping we'd go for Cancelo but that ship has sailed. I can't think of any RBs that'd be a good option to buy bar Wan-bissaka now.

LARulz

Still makes me laugh remembering people wanting rid/calling him shit. He always gave his all in a shirt and was a lot of the time making things tick for it to break down because there was no movement or the person he passed it to shit themselves and played a safe pass going nowhere.

Pyro19

I remember arguing with posters on here that were convinced that Herrera was squad material at best despite being a vital cog for LVG's United. Glad to see people are coming around to seeing his true quality now that he has had an extended run of games.

Fracture90

Another captain performance from Herrera, he's everywhere on the pitch, doing everything from breaking opposition play to scoring.

Hope we can tie him down on a new contract as well, because with performances like these, big clubs will come sniffing since he'll be a FA in few months from now.

To imagine he almost sat out the entire last season under Mourinho despite him being a POTY the year before that.

Kapardin

Wanted him sold in 2015-2017 period and I can admit I was wrong. He had the misfortune of playing under 2 terrible managers.

Even now, it is sad that he lost almost 3 years of his career when he could have been playing at this level for us. But better late than never, I guess. Very capable player now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What a performance and what a run he’s been on. Keep banging on about it but we’ve wasted this guys peak years with some shambolic management.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Absolutely brilliant - energy and guts.

How many interceptions did he make? Seemed like loads.

Toad

Really showing what he can do now after such a long time under the wrong managerment. Great game and great attitude towards this club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody else think he will be our future manager? I can see him doing an OGS in 20 years or so. The guy is very smart and has the perfect manager mentality.

settembrini

Just another defensive masterclass from him again last night. 6 tackles won, 5 interceptions, 3 clearances and 1 blocked shot. All without picking up a booking. He reads the game so well and has the mobility to always get himself to the right place at the right time.

For comparison Matic won 0 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 clearances and 0 blocked shots.

One of Mourinho's biggest mistakes as our manager was watching Herrera be our POTY as a defensive midfielder and then deciding to replace him with an inferior player. He should have been made captain after that season.

settembrini

What a performance and what a run he’s been on. Keep banging on about it but we’ve wasted this guys peak years with some shambolic management.
Sadly I agree. Van Gaal picking Rooney ahead of him in midfield and Mourinho trying to replace him with Matic... Just laughable management which deprived us of a special player far too often.

Mcking

He is quite magnificient in the defensive phase, but I would want him to be more adventurous in possession.

Just another defensive masterclass from him again last night. 6 tackles won, 5 interceptions, 3 clearances and 1 blocked shot. All without picking up a booking. He reads the game so well and has the mobility to always get himself to the right place at the right time.

For comparison Matic won 0 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 clearances and 0 blocked shots.
This is why stats are of little use. Herrera closes space quickly and makes tackles on a second touch or cuts passes out. Matic positions himself to pick up a loose ball, or push a player wide, or prevent a pass from being made at all. They are both effective ways of playing and quite complementary but only one looks good to the stat lovers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why has he been so horribly mismanaged in his United career? Everytime he's looked this good he's been omitted, Ole seems like the type to keep playing him though thankfully for yourselves.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He is quite magnificient in the defensive phase, but I would want him to be more adventurous in possession.
That’s what Pogba is for. His job is to win it back as soon as possible and pass it to the creative players. He’s a good passer of the ball and if the opportunity arises he can thread a ball in behind as good as any, but let’s leave the creativity for the players with vision. Find an adequate replacement for Matic and we have a midfield capable of competing with anyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

One of Mourinho's biggest mistakes as our manager was watching Herrera be our POTY as a defensive midfielder and then deciding to replace him with an inferior player. He should have been made captain after that season.
Sadly I agree. Van Gaal picking Rooney ahead of him in midfield and Mourinho trying to replace him with Matic... Just laughable management which deprived us of a special player far too often.
I don't know why you need to slag Matic off, in order to praise Hererra. Also weird the way you've got this idea that Matic is Hererra's replacement seeing as they're both consistently starting games together.

settembrini

This is why stats are of little use. Herrera closes space quickly and makes tackles on a second touch or cuts passes out. Matic positions himself to pick up a loose ball, or push a player wide, or prevent a pass from being made at all. They are both effective ways of playing and quite complementary but only one looks good to the stat lovers.
Nonsense. Matic attempted three tackles last night, he just isn't very good at it and kept conceding fouls instead of winning us the ball. And it's Herrera who is far better at positioning and winning the loose ball as shown by his higher rate of interceptions. Stats aren't perfect but the idea that they are of little use for analysing football is laughably antiquated and tends to be pushed by those who like players who don't perform very well and get upset when the shows show it.

Jeffthered

He played superbly yesterday. He is an interesting player.. I wonder whether Mourinho really took more of a toll on him than we realise. He used to go through periods in the season where we was quite ineffective, for a player of his ability. Technically, he is excellent, excellent... he is intelligent, and seems quite passionate about his game, and has an eye for goal. You watch him last night, and you think 'how on earth would we replace him...?'

He was great. I don't think we should expect too much from him, and comparisons to Kante etc aren't really fair.. they are slightly different players and Kante is a superb player, superb in his own.

A midfield three with Herrera, Matic and Pogba, in balance, and given the license to play, is pretty formidable.. too much for most premiership teams. I love the guy though, great attitude, top player. Well done Ole for getting the best out of him.

Brightonian

Why has he been so horribly mismanaged in his United career? Everytime he's looked this good he's been omitted, Ole seems like the type to keep playing him though thankfully for yourselves.
Million pound question. As an unabashed Herrera fanboy it's been frustrating to watch.

Jeffthered

Nonsense. Matic attempted three tackles last night, he just isn't very good at it and kept conceding fouls instead of winning us the ball. And it's Herrera who is far better at positioning and winning the loose ball as shown by his higher rate of interceptions. Stats aren't perfect but the idea that they are of little use for analysing football is laughably antiquated and tends to be pushed by those who like players who don't perform very well and get upset when the shows show it.
Matic is a top, top player. He has been absolutely key for our good form, because he is playing a more progressive game. He has played nearly every game, never complains.. and is proven quality and experience. I sometimes wonder what some fans want out of players on here. Don't judge on one game (and he was good last night in my opinion..!!). Matic is key.. key.. brings that left-foot to our game, which is important. V V important for our balance.

settembrini

I don't know why you need to slag Matic off, in order to praise Hererra. Also weird the way you've got this idea that Matic is Hererra's replacement seeing as they're both consistently starting games together.
Because Herrera was brilliant and I want him to get credit for doing so much of the defensive work for his team with little support from Matic.

For the other point I was talking about Mourinho trying to replace Herrera as our defensive midfielder. He was our POTY there in 16/17 but he used Matic in that position the following season and Herrera was pushed forward (like Kante has been by Sarri) and we rarely got to see him at his best. Now we have a new manager and Herrera is back playing deep and we are seeing world class performances again.

The age old example is Maldini, who averaged a tackle every two games. I guess you thought he was no good either?

Stats are useful tools to help in certain areas but they are often misused by the FIFA generation and those who don't know what they're looking at when they watch a game. Herrera was better last night but both players had good games.

Sylar

Huge important part of us getting the ball back quickly and starting counters and attacks. Im also happy he scored, I think he can add more of that. Loved his late run into the box and his arms going everywhere wanting the ball. Lovely header.

settembrini

The age old example is Maldini, who averaged a tackle every two games. I guess you thought he was no good either?

Stats are useful tools to help in certain areas but they are often misused by the FIFA generation and those who don't know what they're looking at when they watch a game. Herrera was better last night but both players had good games.
I think Maldini was very good. He won the ball a lot for his team via interceptions and positioning like Herrera did for us last night.

I am glad you are backtracking on your claim that stats are of 'little use' and are also acknowledging that Herrera played better last night. I disagree that Matic had a good game but we should discuss that in his thread instead of derailing this one further.

Status
Not open for further replies.