Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He had a decent game but there were 4 or 5 occasions in the first half when I cringed because Ando hit a pass harder than it was necessary. He was shooting rockets at his teammates, when it should have been simple measured passes. Anderson is still an enigma to me, he seems to posses all the necessary talent but most games you are left for wanting more.
The overhit pass thing did happen on a few occasions, but that's no worse a crime than Fletcher's continued insistence on hitting long, aimless passes, despite not hitting his target all night long - such a frustrating tactic, and a shocking waste of possession.

In fairness to both players, things like weight of pass improve with a run of games.

Anderson is doing well considering the stop-start nature of his season. Performance wise, he's definitely done far more good than bad. Problem is, he'll be benched on Saturday. At least there's a game on Wednesday in the league too (and then again the following Saturday), meaning a chance to clock up some minutes.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He was as mediocre as everyone else in our midfield but I'm not surprised he's the one where people overreact. I didnt notice Fletch at all and he took forever ont he ball to make up his mind. Clevs is not really on form either and it was difficult for Powell to impose himself.

you know that our midfield is not working when Hernandez has to come to the midfield line to get the ball

Forevergiggs

The overhit pass thing did happen on a few occasions, but that's no worse a crime than Fletcher's continued insistence on hitting long, aimless passes, despite not hitting his target all night long - such a frustrating tactic, and a shocking waste of possession.

In fairness to both players, things like weight of pass improve with a run of games.

Anderson is doing well considering the stop-start nature of his season. Performance wise, he's definitely done far more good than bad. Problem is, he'll be benched on Saturday. At least there's a game on Wednesday in the league too (and then again the following Saturday), meaning a chance to clock up some minutes.
Those attempts at Hollywood balls from Fletcher and at times Powell were equally cringe worthy. It was a weird game yesterday anyways. Gala players were out for blood, the ref was a buffoon and our team was hastily put together. As for Anderson, he has this tendency to over hit passes and it's something he needs to improve at.

You are correct that they would get better with more playing time. Our midfield should go on a four man rotation from now on with Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley. Giggs, Scholes and Powell should be used as substitutes from now to the end of the season barring major injuries, meaningless games or easier FA cup ties.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I agree with this.

Fletcher dallied on the ball and lost possession numerous times with aimless long balls (his performance showed why Carrick is so important).

Powell is the strange one. He was bang average, but people seem desperate to rate him as the solution to our problems, so they overrated him. He did okay for an extremely raw and inexperienced player, but no more. His touch was very loose at times.
Powell was making his Champions League debut in one of the most intimidating arenas there is. At 18 we were looking for potential that he can cope and to hopefully see a bit of his ability. It was a tough test for him and he did OK. The lad is a goalscorer and his towering header was immense, it reminded me of Ronaldo. He was wasteful in possession, especially in the first half, he seems to love the Hollywood ball, that is something that he has to learn to ration and play at the right time.

Fletcher has a debilitating condition. I don't think that he will ever be good enough to command a first team place for us again. He just looks a lot slower now, in everything that he does.

Anderson, on the other hand, is 24 and in his 6th season at the club. He was also very wasteful in possession, he finished with a 79% pass completion rate, lower than Powell's, and very poor for a top class midfielder (of course he isn't one). He did some decent defensive work but I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are still talking of 'potential', it is starting to get embarrassing now. He is only an 8/10 player on his best day, ordinarily he is a 5 or 6/10. I am bemused by so many posters insistence that he is some sort of solution to our woes.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Powell was making his Champions League debut in one of the most intimidating arenas there is. At 18 we were looking for potential that he can cope and to hopefully see a bit of his ability. It was a tough test for him and he did OK. The lad is a goalscorer and his towering header was immense, it reminded me of Ronaldo. He was wasteful in possession, especially in the first half, he seems to love the Hollywood ball, that is something that he has to learn to ration and play at the right time.

Fletcher has a debilitating condition. I don't think that he will ever be good enough to command a first team place for us again. He just looks a lot slower now, in everything that he does.

Anderson, on the other hand, is 24 and in his 6th season at the club. He was also very wasteful in possession, he finished with a 79% pass completion rate, lower than Powell's, and very poor for a top class midfielder (of course he isn't one). He did some decent defensive work but I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are still talking of 'potential', it is starting to get embarrassing now. He is only an 8/10 player on his best day, ordinarily he is a 5 or 6/10. I am bemused by so many posters insistence that he is some sort of solution to our woes.
All fair points. But how come you excuse Powell and Fletcher because of outside factors, but not Anderson? He's never really had a proper run in the side because of injuries. Even when fit, he doesn't get a proper run in the side. Say what you will, but I think his presence against Villa and Norwich would have coincided with better performances from the team.

He doesn't get a look in because of Scholes and Giggs - neither of who are really justifying their inclusion.

togg

The problem with Anderson, much as I have a soft spot for him, is that you really don't know which one you are going to get which is probably why Ferguson doesn't play him as much as some people would like him to. Also reading the comments and opinions on here, there is such contrasting views on how individual players played. Either shite or "decent" or "played quite well" or " terrible". It kind of leaves one with the feeling that United's squad is not overly inspiring..or just a bit average at the moment.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
All fair points. But how come you excuse Powell and Fletcher because of outside factors, but not Anderson? He's never really had a proper run in the side because of injuries. Even when fit, he doesn't get a proper run in the side. Say what you will, but I think his presence against Villa and Norwich would have coincided with better performances from the team.

He doesn't get a look in because of Scholes and Giggs - neither of who are really justifying their inclusion.
I think that Fletcher and Powell's circumstances, in the context of last night, are far more mitigating than Anderson's.

I do agree that Scholes and Giggs have not done enough this season and that Anderson should get a run, why not, he can't do any worse. However, I have no great expectations from him. I have given up on him, in terms of him becoming a crucial player for us. I don't feel that there is much development left in him. If he does play then I would expect him to be the Anderson that we have always known. I see no signs of that changing.

Godfather

The problem with Anderson, much as I have a soft spot for him, is that you really don't know which one you are going to get which is probably why Ferguson doesn't play him as much as some people would like him to. Also reading the comments and opinions on here, there is such contrasting views on how individual players played. Either shite or "decent" or "played quite well" or " terrible". It kind of leaves one with the feeling that United's squad is not overly inspiring..or just a bit average at the moment.
Cause in certain areas it quite simply is compared to other teams. Especially in CM we are not more than average.

Neither Ando nor Clev will make our CM worldclass but at least they improve it a bit.

Cina

I didn't see last nights game, and I came into this thread hoping to get an assessment of how Anderson played, but after reading the last two pages I still haven't got a fecking clue whether he was dogshit, average, or good. It seems without Nani around he appears to be the new flavor of the month to completely divide everyone's opinions.

Although I do find it quite funny that after the Norwich match pretty much everyone was complaining about him not being on the field in place of Giggs, yet now it seems like he's being labelled hit and miss, inconsistent, sloppy etc, so how the flying feck would be have made us better? Ah the Caf...

manusteve

I was surprised how advanced he played last night? The English journo in Brazil (Tim Vickery) always observes how Anderson has been converted to a more defensive midfielder than in his younger days, but I think he plays better in a deeper position.

I was shocked to see that having cleared a Gala corner, the 2nd most advanced United player was Anderson.

I still think he would have had to play really shit to have been worse than Giggs on Saturday...

I'm always right

I didn't see last nights game, and I came into this thread hoping to get an assessment of how Anderson played, but after reading the last two pages I still haven't got a fecking clue whether he was dogshit, average, or good. It seems without Nani around he appears to be the new flavor of the month to completely divide everyone's opinions.
Put it this way, my mate, who is neither pro nor anti-Anderon just called me, he was on a date last night so missed the first half but he said "I thought Anderson did really well until he went off".

So the idea that he was "fecking shite" is bizarre to say the least.

Personally I thought he did ok, nowhere near as good as some of his performances this season but hardly surprising considering how we lined up against Galatasaray away in the CL.

togg

Although I do find it quite funny that after the Norwich match pretty much everyone was complaining about him not being on the field in place of Giggs, yet now it seems like he's being labelled hit and miss, inconsistent, sloppy etc, so how the flying feck would be have made us better? Ah the Caf...
That's what I mean..it seems no matter who we play (the team that Fergie has picked never really being the right one!) no one is particularly happy...players that people want in the team disappoint or it doesn't quite work out...which as I said kind of leads to the conclusion that our squad is a bit of a mish mash of pretty average players who are inconsistent..apart from a couple.

Rossa

That's what I mean..it seems no matter who we play (the team that Fergie has picked never really being the right one!) no one is particularly happy...players that people want in the team disappoint or it doesn't quite work out...which as I said kind of leads to the conclusion that our squad is a bit of a mish mash of pretty average players who are inconsistent..apart from a couple.
Average players, one point behind city for top of the league, and already winners of our group on the CL.

So sick of the argument that we have average players and a manager who no longer knows his elbow from his face. If all these ridiculous statements were true, we should be down there with Liverpool, but we're not.

United's squad is strong in quality and quantity. We have some world class players in Rooney, RVP, Scholes, Valencia (Nani when on form), Vidic and arguably DDG. This season, I think Rafael and Evra also fits that category. Then you can argue all you want about what world class is, but few of those players could be substituted easily.

Anderson is quality, but he needs more games under his belt. Giggs has been poor thus far, except for that Chelsea League Cup match, so hopefully Anderson will get a bit more game time.

Art

Art the artist
Rossa I agree with most of your post but Valencia is NOT world class.

EDIT: Sorry that's for another discussion. Didn't mean to go off topic.

Cina

United's squad is strong in quality and quantity. We have some world class players in Rooney, RVP, Scholes, Valencia (Nani when on form), Vidic and arguably DDG. This season, I think Rafael and Evra also fits that category. Then you can argue all you want about what world class is, but few of those players could be substituted easily.
Christ, take those red tinted specs off will you?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I thought Anderson did well again last night personally. It simply astonishes me that he is not in our team far more.

As soon as he went off last night, we were poorer for it. We no longer had anyone to carry the ball into the opposition half, so we had to pass our way out which enabled Galatasaray to close us down early and keep the pressure on.

Anderson has strength, drive, energy and determination. His failing is what he does with the ball once he gets to the final third and that was no different last night.

But saying that, what midfielder do we have who does consistently well in the final third? Bottom line for me is that Anderson is our best all round midfielder, and when fit should start ahead of Giggs, Scholes or TC next to Carrick. Yes i would love to play a 3 in the middle, but seeing as it looks like we are stuck with pairings, Ando and Carrick are the most complete and complimentary pairing we have, and by some distance in my view.

SirAF

Ageist
I'll give you Rooney, RvP, and Vidic.

Commadus

A stupid formation and tactics by fergie. No wonder we were disjointed. Diamond - where he get this idea from?

He should have played Giggs / Scholes in this game and Cleverley / Anderson against Norwich.

Young really is pants.

Its going to be another season of weird formations and selections and for what?

Rossa

Christ, take those red tinted specs off will you?
Not too red tinted - as I said, we would struggle to replace most of them with better players. Valencia this year hasn't been world class, but many argued he was one of the best wingers in the world last year. Rafael isn't yet world class, but he will be - and so far this season I doubt many players would play better than him, same goes for Evra really (only opposite: he was world class and lost that but seems to be regaining some of it...).

Scholes can still be, but isn't showing it consitently enough. However, he would also be hard to replace.

Maybe I was being overly optimistic, but United's squad is a lot better than what some of you guys give them credit for. It baffles me when people go on and on about how average our squad is compared to City and Chelsea, and even our manager is now past it, so how then can you explain why we are only one point behind the league leaders?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You can say whatever you want, but what I saw last night was not a fit enough footballer.

I'm tired of people saying he isn't unfit, he absolutely clearly is. If his body shape doesn't reveal it, the fact that he's always subbed after 70 minutes max should.

I think it's atrocious and perhaps the reason why he's benched for what is, as of now, inferior midfielders like Giggs and Scholes.

Rossa

I thought Anderson did well again last night personally. It simply astonishes me that he is not in our team far more.

As soon as he went off last night, we were poorer for it. We no longer had anyone to carry the ball into the opposition half, so we had to pass our way out which enabled Galatasaray to close us down early and keep the pressure on.

Anderson has strength, drive, energy and determination. His failing is what he does with the ball once he gets to the final third and that was no different last night.

But saying that, what midfielder do we have who does consistently well in the final third? Bottom line for me is that Anderson is our best all round midfielder, and when fit should start ahead of Giggs, Scholes or TC next to Carrick. Yes i would love to play a 3 in the middle, but seeing as it looks like we are stuck with pairings, Ando and Carrick are the most complete and complimentary pairing we have, and by some distance in my view.
I agree! Great post!

Carrick would then have the option to not sit back the entire match as Anderson can more or less catch up with any CM out there. He also looked a lot more fit yesterday. I love Scholes, but he needs someone around him to do the running, so he can play with Carrick, but you need a three man midfield for that to work.

Cina

Not too red tinted - as I said, we would struggle to replace most of them with better players. Valencia this year hasn't been world class, but many argued he was one of the best wingers in the world last year. Rafael isn't yet world class, but he will be - and so far this season I doubt many players would play better than him, same goes for Evra really (only opposite: he was world class and lost that but seems to be regaining some of it...).

Scholes can still be, but isn't showing it consitently enough. However, he would also be hard to replace.

Maybe I was being overly optimistic, but United's squad is a lot better than what some of you guys give them credit for. It baffles me when people go on and on about how average our squad is compared to City and Chelsea, and even our manager is now past it, so how then can you explain why we are only one point behind the league leaders?
I hate the term world class, but you're making quite a few of our players out to be a lot better than they are. Likew as said above, the only two I'd really put in the top bracket are Rooney and RVP. Vidic would've been but due to his injuries I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. We do have a lot of talented youngsters who could end up in that top bracket though. Rafael and DDG being the most obvious at the moment.

Your last paragraph, I hold absolutely none of those opinions, so I don't see the point in answering the question.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Another good performance from him. Our performance really fell when he went off.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
We're going to have to be patient with Ando. There is a decent player inside him desperately trying to break out, but it just hasn't happened yet. Last night was another meh performance, but it was a dead game for us on the road.

As I see it -- and no, I don't profess to know 1% of what Fergie knows -- I'd throw Ando in as often as possible before the January transfer window and see what he can deliver. If he continues with his meh performances we might as well bite the same bullet we're biting with Nani and sell them both in January.

Sad, as you really can see trace elements of a great footballer in Ando but his play in the last third has been consistently woeful for years.

Varun

Staff
We're going to have to be patient with Ando. There is a decent player inside him desperately trying to break out, but it just hasn't happened yet. Last night was another meh performance, but it was a dead game for us on the road.

As I see it -- and no, I don't profess to know 1% of what Fergie knows -- I'd throw Ando in as often as possible before the January transfer window and see what he can deliver. If he continues with his meh performances we might as well bite the same bullet we're biting with Nani and sell them both in January.

Sad, as you really can see trace elements of a great footballer in Ando but his play in the last third has been consistently woeful for years.
It'd mean feckall sense to sell him when he's finally looking good to make something of the potential in him.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
It'd mean feckall sense to sell him when he's finally looking good to make something of the potential in him.
"Finally looking good"?

Good enough to be a valuable squad player for us, yes, but far from good enough to command a regular starting role for Manchester United, one of the 5 or 6 indisputably elite football clubs on the planet.

I thought my post was clear enough but let me try making the point another way. We all agree Ando can be a better player than he has shown over the last two months and, actually, over the last four years, right? Right. So, I absolutely support giving him a solid run over the next six weeks to show us what he's got. If he comes good, we're all good as we can know that part of our midfield problem is solved. But if he continues to play the way he's played so far this season is anyone going to seriously argue that we've solved part of our midfield problem and that Ando is right up there, somewhere at least, among the best in the prem? I don't think so. And if what we've seen already is the best we're going to get with Ando, does it really makes sense to the club and to Ando himself to keep him on the roster as a squad man for the next 5-6 seasons? I don't think so.

United have incredible depth in the squad. Most clubs would love to have a player of Ando's quality coming off the bench. United's problem, however, is a lack of midfield quality in its starting XI. It is far from obvious that Ando has the kind of quality that United can build its midfield around. Maybe he does, which is why I completely endorse giving him his shot with a string of a dozen or so matches where there can be no excuses about chopping and changing the XI and the like. But if it doesn't work Ando has to go back to being a squad man or on the auction block.

Like everyone else here, I become attached in some way to our players. But if it's not working out for Player X (such as Nani), hard decisions have to be made.

I'm always right

Jesus, some of you have really low standards nowadays. Anderson wouldn't get a sniff at most other big clubs, it says more about our midfield than it does Anderson that he even has a chance at being a starter here. He's just not upto standard.
Bollox.

Ramsey, Ramires, Mikel, Barry, Milner, a fecked Essien this season.....

Need I go on?

Cina

Why are you listing Ramires? He's miles better than the rest of them, and a feckload better than Anderson right now too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why are you listing Ramires? He's miles better than the rest of them, and a feckload better than Anderson right now too.
Definitely. For me he is the best midfielder in England right now, and is very good at everything.

Talenting wise though, Ando could be as good as Ramirez. Anyway, chances are slim that he will ever reach his potential.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Bollox.

Ramsey, Ramires, Mikel, Barry, Milner, a fecked Essien this season.....

Need I go on?
Barry and Milner are there to do a specific job that Anderson couldn't do. Not as talented, but there you go. He'd be a squad player at best at City.

Ramires > Anderson. Quite comfortably.

Even Mikel is looking more reliable at times, but Chelsea are signing Fellaini in Jan/Summer. Anderson would be behind him in the pecking order.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Jesus, some of you have really low standards nowadays. Anderson wouldn't get a sniff at most other big clubs, it says more about our midfield than it does Anderson that he even has a chance at being a starter here. He's just not upto standard.
A bit harsh, pocco.

Ando would get a sniff at most other big clubs (except the giants) for squad duty, but I agree he'd be nowhere near starting XI duty at any big club.

The point isn't that Ando has reached full potential and we're fukked (such as is the case with Young), but how far Ando can lift his game. I personally believe there's room for growth in his game. For me, it begins with his conditioning, which is still woeful. Do that, plus a fair run of games, and let's see what he can do.

Ando just might be good enough to surprise with some inspired play later this season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
A bit harsh, pocco.

Ando would get a sniff at most other big clubs (except the giants) for squad duty, but I agree he'd be nowhere near starting XI duty at any big club.

The point isn't that Ando has reached full potential and we're fukked (such as is the case with Young), but how far Ando can lift his game. I personally believe there's room for growth in his game. For me, it begins with his conditioning, which is still woeful. Do that, plus a fair run of games, and let's see what he can do.

Ando just might be good enough to surprise with some inspired play later this season.
By 'wouldn't get a sniff', this is essentially what I meant. Squad player at best for most.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's playing much better than Michael Carrick btw. As is Cleverley. Some make it sound as if he needs to be Xavi to be a regular starter. Given the state of our midfield he clearly doesn't. Good is good enough for our midfield. And he's been good this season.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
By 'wouldn't get a sniff', this is essentially what I meant. Squad player at best for most.
Got it. No question about that.

If Liverpool is still considered a "big club", I could see Ando being a regular starter for them, but certainly Chelsea and City would have a laugh if they were ever "linked" with him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Though I'm not at all comfortable with the idea, maybe a leap of faith is needed with Anderson. Perhaps the only way to develop that consistency that I think most agree is lacking in his game is to play him most weeks to try smooth the rough edges. That said, I don't think he's really done enough to suggest so far that that is a certainty.

Cina

He's playing much better than Michael Carrick btw. As is Cleverley. Some make it sound as if he needs to be Xavi to be a regular starter. Given the state of our midfield he clearly doesn't. Good is good enough for our midfield. And he's been good this season.
Indeed. I want him in our midfield purely because it can't get much shitter than it already is anyway, so we may as well give it a go and hope he becomes a properly good player at last.

gza the genius

Though I'm not at all comfortable with the idea, maybe a leap of faith is needed with Anderson. Perhaps the only way to develop that consistency that I think most agree is lacking in his game is to play him most weeks to try smooth the rough edges. That said, I don't think he's really done enough to suggest so far that that is a certainty.
I don't see the point in keeping him here if we don't do this. If we play him most weeks and he doesn't show improvement I think it should be fairly clear that he isn't quite going to cut it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.