g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bestie07

He was at fault for at least 3 dangerous situations last night. Not a good start to his time here, need to support him through this rough patch as I see that the media are already sharpening the pitchforks.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I've acknowledged he could have done better and made mistakes. I just don't buy into the media over drive, they want an easy target because they just love it that DDG is still out of a job and the new guy can't catch a break. They juat can't be arsed actually looking at what has happened, they just look at the finish for the goal and say keeper should have got that, but ignore everything that led to that point.

Ignore Varane ducking and letting a long ball over his head, ignore Dalot's pathetic defending. Ignore Amrabat and Lindeloaf getting dragged out of position on a simple throw in, ignore the midfielders not tracking runners (a constant theme this season). Ignore Amrabat playing a stupid pass and then keeping everyone onside, but focus on the bit Onana did wrong.

You claim he should have claimed the first ball? Where and at what point? Should a high ball bouncing 25 yards from goal not be met by a defenders head rather than expecting the keeper to claim it on the second or third bounce?

I'd also be interested if you could explain how you can both standup and spread yourself.
Who's ignoring the defending? I most certainly am not, having mentioned that both goals in question are a culmination of poor defending and goalkeeping errors.

For an idea of standing up and spreading yourselves, have you heard of the fundamental aspect of goalkeeping, make yourself big?
It's basic GK skills, in a one on one situation a GK needs to be flexible, make themselve big by spreading their body whilst standing, just book yourself in to any online GK coaching badges and you'll hear it, I have and did.

ti vu

Evra and Vidić taught me not to judge players too quickly and too harsh at first. Players need time to settle in and get in the groove of everything. But no doubt a terrible, terrrible start from Onana. His shot stopping is terrible and his passing isn't really all that brilliant either. But honestly most of the team is ass at the moment.
The big difference in context is that for a team in position of strength having other players carrying the team to get result, upholding standard, so you can take time to integrate new players. Us under SAF back then is more comparable Man City nowadays when they took their time integrate Ake. Their more expensive signings (at the time of signing) like Rodri, Grealish, Bernardo Silva, Mahrez... could also be afforded time to find their feet.

Also GK position can be judged differently from outfield players. You can change a player position, adjust this player's positional play during different phases to mask outfield weakness. Whereas with GK, you need to adjust a whole defensive unit, if not a whole system to reduce threat (not completely able to mask the weakness). Big fee signing with big reputation while being in the prime year of his career also means the initial expectation for Onana is higher. He's more equivalent of Barthez than project punt signings like Evra and Vidic.

Not say writing Onana off, but it has been a shaky start for him, and it's not good considering our position as a team. Nothing can guarantee ETH job security if we can't improve. New manager may not dislike his profile, but without reputation investment like ETH with his picked signings and different man management style, Onana may quickly fall out with favor when he performs like this. Onana is outspoken so there is a risk in that.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

It's a shame because as a transfer he ticks so many boxes...but yet again he united shirt does things to players.

I hope he is just going through a bad spell and will come out the other end stronger.

lex talionis

As club supporters, we need to acknowledge that ETH got this transfer target badly wrong. Even for those who hated De Gea and were desperate to get rid of him (led by "Beth" on The United Stand) getting rid of De Gea was nowhere near our top priority over the summer. But here we are now, staring down the barrel of a very long season with a dodgy keeper. Hopefully Onana will come up but it's more a hope than expected reality.

fallengt

Are people saying " i always knew Onana was shit" for real?
Even if you dont rate him as 50m gk , after good season with inter and ucl campaign, "he was always crap" really?

Marcus

I think he has been traumatised by being lobbed for a goal early on. Now he seems rooted to his line whenever am attacker is bearing down on goal rather than moving forward to narrow the angle.

Stadjer

Even if you dont rate him as 50m gk , after good season with inter and ucl campaign, "he was always crap" really?
There is no middle ground anymore. Not here but also less and less in society :lol:

Not rating a goalkeeper is worded as 'he is shit'.

People like to use extremes because saying that Onana is shit and was always crap looks 'better' than saying that Onana hasnt been great so far and made a few big mistakes already.

ZainCRse7en

I must admit, i didnt watch him much apart from the Champs league final where he was a beast for Inter.

But my word, does he lack so many basic fundamentals of being a top GK. That Icardi goal was one of the most pathetic GK moments i have ever seen in my life. It genuinely looked like Sunday league level kind of goalkeeping. Bizarre really.

ti vu

Perhaps, people may word and make it sound even more exaggerated than it should. However, there is an element of truth about some aspect of Onana game that is not always impressive even at Inter or Ajax.

For example: Tonali hit the post in the first leg of semi final last season. Onana misread the trajectory of the shot completely. He was not only flat footed, but even not attempted to dive at all. Arguably Theo Hernandez freekick early in the second leg is the similar (Onana misread the flight of the ball). Onana played a good part in relieving pressure with his passing, but Inter convincing victory has more to do with the system containing Milan to less than handful of chances for both legs.

I didn't watch the Barcelona 3-3 Inter game, but from the highlight, Onana also had moment where his handling of the ball is questionable: spilling the ball, not palm the ball away properly saving a shot, or coming out to punch an ball on the air but failed to get a good punch allowing the ball to drop to Barcelona player inside the box.

Onana ball playing ability may be among the best last season, but when judging as full package he's very down the list among the best goalkeepers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really poor start for him at United. Him combined with weak defenders and Casemiro’s form crashing, is absolutely killing us week after week. We have to make some serious changes - whether it’s a back 3/5 or asking Onana to play more basic footy till he gets his confidence back.

Oranges038

Who's ignoring the defending? I most certainly am not, having mentioned that both goals in question are a culmination of poor defending and goalkeeping errors.

For an idea of standing up and spreading yourselves, have you heard of the fundamental aspect of goalkeeping, make yourself big?
It's basic GK skills, in a one on one situation a GK needs to be flexible, make themselve big by spreading their body whilst standing, just book yourself in to any online GK coaching badges and you'll hear it, I have and did.
I understand the concept quite well, I don't need any online courses to do that. There's a lot more nuance to it at that level than just spreading yourself and making yourself big. The main thing he did wrong on the third goal was he held his ground a bit too deep in that situation for my liking, he didn't narrow the angle enough and he went to ground too early.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I understand the concept quite well, I don't need any online courses to do that. There's a lot more nuance to it at that level than just spreading yourself and making yourself big. The main thing he did wrong on the third goal was he held his ground a bit too deep in that situation for my liking, he didn't narrow the angle enough and he went to ground too early.
He fell to ground, again, for the second time already this season.
It's a horrendous bit of keeping, no two ways about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, he seemed to set himself far too early. There as an opportunity to close the gap in the final few seconds before the shot was taken but he didn't take it. Forest's goal was an even better (worse?) example.

As someone else who has played in goals like yourself I've kind of been in denial about his basic technical errors but if I take my head out of the sand, it's kind of hard not to notice them every time he plays.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the first goal? Which was obviously not his fault. I'm thinking about the third one.

Oranges038

Yeah, he seemed to set himself far too early. There as an opportunity to close the gap in the final few seconds before the shot was taken but he didn't take it. Forest's goal was an even better (worse?) example.

As someone else who has played in goals like yourself I've kind of been in denial about his basic technical errors but if I take my head out of the sand, it's kind of hard not to notice them every time he plays.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the first goal? Which was obviously not his fault. I'm thinking about the third one.
Aye the third one, some keepers are just bad at 1v1s. He genuinely seems to struggle with them.

I see people blaming him for the first but that ball bounces 25 yards out, that should never happen, that ball shouldn't be allowed to bounce once never mind make it into the box.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Aye the third one, some keepers are just bad at 1v1s. He genuinely seems to struggle with them.

I see people blaming him for the first but that ball bounces 25 yards out, that should never happen, that ball shouldn't be allowed to bounce once never mind make it into the box.
Makes him a really disappointing signing. DDG's ability at 1v1s has fallen off a cliff in recent years. So typical that we would manage to spend that much money on a keeper who is even worse than him at them.

I know that loads of people are really cynical about stats but I think that signing a goalkeeper is one are where you can make a decision based almost entirely on stats. There are a bunch of keepers out there who are statistically better than DDG at shot stopping, one v ones and claiming crosses. And almost every keeper out there is better than him with the ball at his feet. With 50 million to spend, how did we cock up what should have been such an easy upgrade?!

Oranges038

Makes him a really disappointing signing. DDG's ability at 1v1s has fallen off a cliff in recent years. So typical that we would manage to spend that much money on a keeper who is even worse than him at them.

I know that loads of people are really cynical about stats but I think that signing a goalkeeper is one are where you can make a decision based almost entirely on stats. There are a bunch of keepers out there who are statistically better than DDG at shot stopping, one v ones and claiming crosses. And almost every keeper out there is better than him with the ball at his feet. With 50 million to spend, how did we cock up what should have been such an easy upgrade?!
I too think you can judge a keeper based off the key stats. Newcastle picked up Pope for just over 10m, statistically he was one of the best keepers in the league across all metrics while playing for Burnley who got relegated. He's just not great with his feet. He would have been an excellent signing.

Onana hasn't been great and when he concedes comical looking goals like the third the knives will be coming out. Especially since DDG was here so long and the idea that he was one of the best in the world somehow still persists. The hyperbole over that game on Tuesday makes it sound it was all his fault that the game was lost. Which to be honest is miles from the truth. I was talking to people yesterday at football and blaming him was all they could come up with.

I'm not ready to write him off just yet. If he does this on a 1v1 then I probably will.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Had it? to me that was still the one thing he was actually good at.

Honestly feels like we've already conceded more 1 vs. 1 this season then the whole of last season already.

Gupz

Just give him some time to adjust. De Gea also made a horrendous start in his first year. Onana just need to get some confidence back or perhaps tone down his overconfidence act. He did great at Ajax (also started of bad by the way) and Inter. I still belief he can turn out great.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Honestly feels like we've already conceded more 1 vs. 1 this season then the whole of last season already.
Yeah, he was still able to roll back the years and pull of a good one every now and then but more often than not he’d be too close to his line and easily beaten. Clearly a tier below the likes of Allison in those situations. Most memorably there was one in the CL where he basically turned his back!

Highlyevolved

Did it feck. He didn't gain much muscle and was still atrocious on corners and crosses his whole time here.
I suggest you go back and watch how skinny he was, and how he was bullied on most corners in his first games. I also never said he was world class at corners after that, or looked like Andre the Giant. But there were clearly improvements in those areas. He was the best keeper in the world for at least 2 seasons.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So many revisionist bs being spoken about DDG here. DDG was not great at ball playing part but he was even in his twilight years, very good at GK stuff.

Onana doesn’t fill me with confidence with his GK ability. I didnt see him play for Inter but i did see him play for Ajax and he wasnt great there as well. His ball playing ability is being undermined by our injuries and incoherence, so he is looking way bad than he actually is.

Basically Onana will not save the goals that DDG would have saved but will enable new play style when we finally get some consistency in the first team. Till then Onana needs to keep it simple and try to keep clean sheets and alter his GK style a little bit and make it risk averse

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Now we need to change the entire defence to complement his supposed skillset :lol:

Surely someone on that training pitch shifts the entire focus to defence, being compact, defending as a unit just like Inter Milan did last season. If we're going to persist with this clown, let's at least make it difficult for teams to get shots near him.
It reminds me of when people convinced themselves that the way to get the best out of Sancho was to buy him the perfect full back, midfielder and striker to suit his skillset.

lex talionis

Onana doesn't appear to be the keeper the his PR team pitched him as, but here we are and we need to persevere with him. That said, it would be a good thing all the way around to bench Onana for a few matches and see what Bayanidir can do.

If not now, when? If not him, who?

Oranges038

That guy also had a post about how he was good at long range 1v1 chances. But his ability on close range 1v1s was lacking, because he shaped himself to avoid contact.

Marcelinho87

He was at fault for at least 3 dangerous situations last night. Not a good start to his time here, need to support him through this rough patch as I see that the media are already sharpening the pitchforks.
The majority have fans have already decided against him, it's sad.

aeh1991

It's simple. We should have signed someone who is better on the ball and at distribution than DDG and someone who is a better at the normal goalkeeping stuff than Onana. I don't know if Costa would have been better (despite being more expensive). Now we have to trust Onana to become better but I personally have the feeling we haven't made a huge upgrade on De Gea which was a priority if signing a GK.

lex talionis

This argument…

Onana will enable new play style when we finally get some consistency in the first team.

…is pure fantasy. A keeper with superior ball playing skills is clearly more desirable than one inferior ball playing skills, but the performance level of the outfield players is on them. From control of midfield to chance creation to finishing, the keeper has no bearing on whether we accomplish or fail at those aspects of play.

At best what we can say is that when the outfield gets some kind of consistency that Onana will build his own confidence and thus stop making calamitous mistakes, but we need to stop believing that outfield play is in any way dependent on the keeper, apart from having the justified belief that the keeper will not let his teammates down with calamitous mistakes.

Oranges038

A dead cat would have saved the first goal.

Made some nice long passes and 2 reasonable saves in the second half. A little bit of redemption for him, lucky lucky man that Scotty got those two late goals.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Loved seeing him up celebrating the winner. Made a few solid saves in the second half.

But yeah, his mentality seems great, but it's looking very possible that his basic goalkeeping technique just isn't good enough. The comeback probably buys him one more life as United #1.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I won't be surprised when we learn that De Gea has been buttering Onana's gloves all season long. The lad has the softest hands in Football.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's not this bad of a goalkeeper normally. Refuse to believe it. That's pathetic goalkeeping game after game and nobody could become a professional let alone reach this level like that.

slored1

He is so bad. I cannot believe how terrible he has been ffs. Was he Space-Jammed?

Fluctuation0161

He looked nervous in the tunnel before kick off.

He seems to have the worst shot stopping technique I've ever seen.

But we don't have an alternative option right now?

I'm fairly sure that either he will need to go (end of season latest) or he will end Erik's United career!

Bole Top

half of caf actually convincing themselves that saving goals is secondary will be always be one of the funniest moments during my time of supporting United.