5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's starting to worry me as it looks like he cracking under the pressure. That absolutely was a shot any keeper worth their salt must be saving. It wasn't even coming at him with pace. Just terrible.
Central, not much power, didn't bounce awkwardly.
Just seems to have worryingly little agility and just got it horribly wrong.

Imagine powerful shots that are actually into the sides of the goal, he'd have no chance.

shabin_d_great

after we signed him, saw an youtube video of shots he faced last season. he saved half of them. but the ones he left in made me suspect that he is not as good as expected. seems for the very first time a youtube compilation is true reflection of a players ability.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
FFS, way to burst my bubble. Was hoping the new sub GK could at least push Onana & deservedly start the next game or two.
Nah he's apparently really shite

Manncunian

I don’t care what any of you say, and I’ll die on this hill, we’d have been better keeping DDG for another season.

I mean there is literally no rebuttal. You can’t possibly suggest DDG is worse than the worst goalkeeper in the entire English football league.

It would have also not pissed off half the squad.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Bit harsh on him today. Ball went under his hand because he was diving for a shot set further away before the deflection took it closer.
Still could have saved it but I see why he couldn’t
You must be joking. He got there to the ball, he missed it because he was more focused on pushing it away than making the stop. It was a complete misjudgment, it was completely under control, there was nothing about it that he couldn’t save. He missed it exclusively due to the most basic of errors.

saik

Central, not much power, didn't bounce awkwardly.
Just seems to have worryingly little agility and just got it horribly wrong.

Imagine powerful shots that are actually into the sides of the goal, he'd have no chance.
Yep, worrying signs. I never expected him to have De Gea level of reflexes but that shot today didn't need that. A half decent keeper would have saved that. That's the 3rd game from him I'm counting as a mistake after Bayern and Gala.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep, worrying signs. I never expected him to have De Gea level of reflexes but that shot today didn't need that. A half decent keeper would have saved that. That's the 3rd game from him I'm counting as a mistake after Bayern and Gala.
Only 3?
What about against Forest, one goal he watched a player race in from miles away, barely came out, and then sort of sat down as the guy had an easy finish.

De Gea made amazing saves he had no right too. We're letting in shots that are food and drink to a moderate keeper.

Manncunian

Only 3?
What about against Forest, one goal he watched a player race in from miles away, barely came out, and then sort of sat down as the guy had an easy finish.
He’s had at least one major error in every game he’s played, including the bloody pre season ones.

city-puma

He is not good in shot stopping. I think we can draw conclusions on it now. To make this transfer work out, the only way is to have the team able to play dominant football so that he won’t face so many shots.

3KDré

Did anyone see Schmeichels' analysis of his shot-stopping. When he's diving for the ball off the ground he is actually jumping off the floor to the ball, rather than sliding his hand along the ground to the ball and keeping his feet on the floor. That way he can't palm it anyway with enough force because he's not got any footing in the ground.

roseguy64

He’s so ridiculously slow getting down to shots. More and more that second goal against Arsenal was just indicative of his shot stopping. Too slow getting down and his wrists are too weak.
That goal against Arsenal would have been saved by Allison or Ederson. It was a saveable height and his hand was in the right position.

jesperjaap

Personally dont get the "not as good as expected" type comments. I rarely saw him mentioned as a signing until we were linked. He was average at Ajax and decent at Inter.

Seems he has been highly rated jsut the last few months due to Inters CL campaign and some of these (in my opinion not very good) you tube pundits saying he would be a "transformative" signing.

He has always been a decent keeper that is really good with his feet, which sits the modern game....but he doesnt have the ability between the stocks of Ederson let alon ALisson.

Thought he ws a decent signing, if he could handle the pressure of being Uniteds number 1 which is big, but apart from improving passing the ball out to a defender, he was never going to be a huge signing for me, which considering the fee and some of the other fees we have seen for keepers in the premiership, didnt look like good business then, certainly hasnt so far

Kostov

He's garbage and another dud. If we are to go anywhere in the future squad building he needs replacing probably in January even. And yeah seeing how appallingly bad he is, I seriously would consider bringing back DDG, because he is obviously better than this version of Onana.

saik

Only 3?

De Gea made amazing saves he had no right too. We're letting in shots that are food and drink to a moderate keeper.
One on ones are never easy so I don't really blame goalkeepers for being in that situation let alone count that as a mistake. Also, that penalty shout for Wolves happens in a lot of games with lot of goalkeepers which rarely get given as a penalty. People made a big deal of that.

Like I said earlier, I never expected him to make the saves De Gea makes but rather improves us in other areas like collecting crosses into the box and sweeping. Looks like that lob in preseason made him scared of coming out to sweep.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One on ones are never easy so I don't really blame goalkeepers for being in that situation or even count that as a mistake. Also, that penalty shout for Wolves happens in a lot of games with lot of goalkeepers which rarely get given as a penalty. People made a big deal of that.

Like I said earlier, I never expected him to make the saves De Gea makes but rather improves us in other areas like collecting crosses into the box and sweeping. Looks like that lob in preseason made him scared of coming out to sweep.
You don't count a goalie just crouching down still as an error, instead of coming out trying to reduce the angle?

KeanoMagicHat

That goal against Arsenal would have been saved by Allison or Ederson. It was a saveable height and his hand was in the right position.
Alisson, yes. Ederson isn't a great shot-stopper either, he just plays in a lot more dominant team. We should expect Onana though to be equal of Ederson in passing and coming off his line. For whatever reason, he hasn't shown that part of his game either. Maybe getting lobbed in pre-season has negatively affected him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We need a new goalie.
Literally we need to admit defeat with this donkey and sign a keeper in January.

He is atrocious

saik

You don't count a goalie just crouching down still as an error, instead of coming out trying to reduce the angle?
Not as obvious as the other 3 no. I blame the team more for putting a GK in that position.

Rex Banner

Did anyone see Schmeichels' analysis of his shot-stopping. When he's diving for the ball off the ground he is actually jumping off the floor to the ball, rather than sliding his hand along the ground to the ball and keeping his feet on the floor. That way he can't palm it anyway with enough force because he's not got any footing in the ground.
I did see this. Quite worrying really. Seems to have quite poor technique for a goalkeeper. Would be one thing if he was a young player but he's 27. At this point in his career he should have the basics nailed down.

Last edited:

Lyng

He is a bad goalkeeper. Definately not the required level for the premier league.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Hopefully he can kickstart his season back again with this win.
Looks absolutely void of any confidence at the moment, the one position you don't want this to happen,

Zed is not dead

True, other players have made mistakes leading to goalscoring opportunities, but the very job of a keeper is to cover up for the mistakes of the defence, otherwise let’s just put a field player there.
Unfortunately for him, its the one position where you’re not allowed to make mistakes.

However the most concerning for me is that he conceded the first on target for so many games.
A good keeper is supposed to keep you in the game when you’re under pressure. When we concede on the first shot on target, I truly believe that this kills the confidence in the team.

I really, really, really hope he comes good

RuudTom83

The good thing (or maybe just something to hold onto) is that the defence in front of him is nowhere near United's first choice.

A match fit Shaw, Martinez, Varane and AWB should help him...how much it helps is another discussion.

Born2Lose

We've replaced one overpaid error ridden goalie with another. Only at United.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That Suzuki fella that turned us down is apparently doing well in Belgium. Would have been good to bring over considering the poor reports on our second choice.

Onana ain't it, he's a calamity and already needs replacing.

Roboc7

I knew his shot stopping etc was pretty ordinary but he’s been woeful so far, we’ll be looking for anew keeper in the summer I’m sure.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I can't help notice how heavy his legs appear to be when trying to make saves. He's trending towards being a goalkeeper's equivalent of Fellaini.

Oscar Bonavena

I don’t care what any of you say, and I’ll die on this hill, we’d have been better keeping DDG for another season.

I mean there is literally no rebuttal. You can’t possibly suggest DDG is worse than the worst goalkeeper in the entire English football league.

It would have also not pissed off half the squad.
I wanted David gone because his distribution was terrible, he was too slow off his line to play as a sweeper-keeper so our back 4 couldn't push up, and let's not forget he threw in his fair share of howlers including last season.

BUT...... I did not know how bad this fella is. Literally looks like letting in every shot that comes in on him and is not even doing the things he was supposed to be good at, distribution and sweeping.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolute clown of a keeper. One of the worst I’ve ever seen play for us so far.

Wasted a third of our budget on him this summer when we had better goalkeepers on our books.

julianfr

Regardless of his current form he's here for now and we've got to deal with it. I reckon benching him would knock his already fragile confidence even further but ETH is the one with a decision to make here.

Hopefully once our first choice defence is restored he'll be offered more protection and we'll see a more solid Onana.

Fahad Jawaid

I was so excited to have him here, I genuinely felt he would make a lot of difference to our style of play and we would become more of a front foot team, dominating even the big sides, and we would not have to see the likes of Brighton and all other top clubs play as off the park, because out keeper used to treat ball like a bomb and used to kick and long thus giving away possession after possession.

Now we have a keeper who could not save a shot to save his life. It has got me wondering how many matches he is going to cost us.

The goals he has let in are comedy tbh, any shot which is low down, he is unable to save it, he is the reason why we actually have zero points in CPL. Otherwise we would have had at least 3 points.

Any half decent goal keeper would have saved the goals we conceded against Bayern, Galatasaray, Arsenal (2nd goal), today, Brighton (2nd and 3rd goal).

Mercurial

Regardless of his current form he's here for now and we've got to deal with it. I reckon benching him would knock his already fragile confidence even further but ETH is the one with a decision to make here.

Hopefully once our first choice defence is restored he'll be offered more protection and we'll see a more solid Onana.
It's not a confidence thing, he is a keeper for Eredivisie or a Low block Inter.

erikcred

I wanted David gone because his distribution was terrible, he was too slow off his line to play as a sweeper-keeper so our back 4 couldn't push up, and let's not forget he threw in his fair share of howlers including last season.

BUT...... I did not know how bad this fella is. Literally looks like letting in every shot that comes in on him and is not even doing the things he was supposed to be good at, distribution and sweeping.
After looking at this season's performances, I think DDG was not entirely at fault. Sure he's not in the absolute cream like Alisson, Ederson, and probably another 3-4 of that level.

But all the uproar made it seem like he was so bad that we just had to replace him with a 'ball-playing' keeper regardless of actual keeping quality. and things will improve. I bought into that as well.

Now, I'm guessing ETH was giving shitty instructions either to DDG or to the other players who were supposed to move and offer themselves to receive passes.