View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mustaine

He’s actually worse than most second choice keepers we’ve had. Makes the odd Hollywood save here and there (most are straight at him) from long shots but other than that he pretty much lets everything in.

Irwin99

You just never feel entirely confident with him in goal. No horrific mistakes this time but he just lets in goals for fun.

Dempsey19

I actually think Tom Heaton would be better.

Onana isn't exactly pinging mad passes so we wouldn't be missing anything really.

The Oracle

Their 3rd goal when Dalot was sleeping at the back post, I honestly thought Onana could have come out and collected the cross - or at least have made an attempt to get it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't think saving was a problem today. His long balls were terrible and he conceded that corner too easily. People throw the blame at AWB but this is a ball playing goalkeeper so he should be able to control a ball better than that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't think saving was a problem today. His long balls were terrible and he conceded that corner too easily. People throw the blame at AWB but this is a ball playing goalkeeper so he should be able to control a ball better than that.
The ball didn’t cross the line. It wasn’t a corner. That was a horrible pass from AWB which he did well to control.

Snow

The ball didn’t cross the line. It wasn’t a corner. That was a horrible pass from AWB which he did well to control.
I'm not sure it did either but he didn't do well to control it. Ball came straight at him, his control led the ball to go behind him. That's poor.

Bobski

He is really flat footed, does well on anything high, but pretty terrible at low shots.

Guapa

He looks like someone who's volunteered to go in goal when the keeper gets sent off.Doesn't inspire any confidence at the back.Not good enough for United,end of.

Danny

I'm not sure it did either but he didn't do well to control it. Ball came straight at him, his control led the ball to go behind him. That's poor.
He cannot have been expecting that back pass at all. Onana not at fault at all.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Their 3rd goal when Dalot was sleeping at the back post, I honestly thought Onana could have come out and collected the cross - or at least have made an attempt to get it.
He looked like he could have got there too. But you could argue that it’s not unreasonable for him to just expect Dalot to clear it.

DON’T PANIC ™

Thought he did well today, can’t really blame him for any of the goals. Definitely not as concerned about him as I was after the first few games.

kaku06

He’s not it. He might be many things but he isn’t a goalkeeper. Feels like he started goalkeeping 2-3 years back after trying every position and failing at every position. Absolute rookie.

Even when making saves from straight shots he makes it look so theatrical you think wow what a save then you see the replay and realise he’s Air Jordan for no reason.

redcucumber

I don't like the way he dives. It looks slow and unnatural. I know there was feck all he could do on the 4th, but what the feck is that dive? He just floats in the direction of where the ball has gone. He seems to be improving (a bit?) but he doesn't look elite at all. Blurgh.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Played pretty well today. Good to see him not smashing the ball long the whole time. A big part of our controlled possession football of the first 40 minutes and very quick (and far) off his line when we needed him. Something you would almost never see from DDG.
I think if he was added as the last piece of a functional team , it would have been a great addition. (Like Liverpool did with Allison). Problem our defence is now completely clueless and this guy by itself isn't a great shot stopper. So obviously any small mistake is going to be looked through a magnifying glass.

Oranges038

Haha.. it was an awful pass.

Stand in goal and have one of your players back pass to you like that on your line.. panic sets in because you can't use your hands and then you look at the quality of the ball back. it's easy to see why he miscontrolled it.

Snow

It wasn’t straight at him. It was to his right, at a horrible height and hit hard. I’d forgive an outfield player if he didn’t control it much better than that.
I have higher standards of him then. I expect any professional footballer to be able to control that kind of ball. Especially someone speficially purchased to receive passes and move them appropriately forward.

Haha.. it was an awful pass.

Stand in goal and have one of your players back pass to you like that on your line.. panic sets in because you can't use your hands and then you look at the quality of the ball back. it's easy to see why he miscontrolled it.
You're not really defending him by saying he panicked trying to control a ball. I'm shocked people think that professional footballers at that level will find that kind of ball difficult to control.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever. Any shot that isn't straight at him goes in.

Oranges038

I have higher standards of him then. I expect any professional footballer to be able to control that kind of ball. Especially someone speficially purchased to receive passes and move them appropriately forward.

You're not really defending him by saying he panicked trying to control a ball. I'm shocked people think that professional footballers at that level will find that kind of ball difficult to control.
No offence, but you're talking out you're arse.

Most goalkeepers who aren't expecting a shit pass like that played to their goal line will struggle with it. In this case all the blame is on AWB for killing his team mate with an atrocious pass. Then you add in his attempts at defending from the corner and that other clown Dalot at the back post. The goal is more on both of them than it is Onana.

Snow

No offence, but you're talking out you're arse.

Most goalkeepers who aren't expecting a shit pass like that played to their goal line will struggle with it. In this case all the blame is on AWB for killing his team mate with an atrocious pass. Then you add in his attempts at defending from the corner and that other clown Dalot at the back post. The goal is more on both of them than it is Onana.
He's not most goalkeepers. He's a Manchester United goalkeeper purchased to do better than that. The pass was far enough away for him not to expect it is irrelevant as there was plenty of time to respond. You are welcome to have lower standards and disagree with me, no skin off my back.

I didn't blame Onana for the goal by the way. Even though, rightfully or not, we conceded the corner there's still a lot to be done to score the goal. The goal conceded was during a seperate phase of play. We conceded the corner but everyone was back to defend. It's not like the 4th goal when Varane messed up and panick kicked it out for the throw because the team didn't manager to regroup for that goal.

If you look at the corner there were so many mistakes. The ball is too high for Varane, Maguire goes towards it but doesn't challenge. Ball goes through his area to the attacker, attacker shoots and AWB blocks the shot in the left site of the box. AWB is then the one having to press from the left side of the box to outside the right side of the box. Bruno and McT are occupying the same space the entire time after Bruno vacates the near post. Most players are ball watching the entire time, no one eagerly presses. The pass was excellent but could have been stopped by Dalot.

This is the kind of team defending that conceded 3 goals in Denmark (and the chance leading to the penalty).

JimiboyX

This is why you sign a keeper, first and foremost, to be a good shot stopper and command the box well and you just make sure their distribution is competent as due diligence on a top. If they excel at it that is a bonus. You don’t sign a keeper based purely on their supposed ability to ping Hollywood balls around.

Agree he inspires zero confidence, although equally I’m not writing him off yet and don’t think he is any worse than the DDG of the last few years really (not that that justifies the signing)

Far, far more annoyed about the Mount signing though.

Oscar Bonavena

His technique and body shape when trying to save looks all wrong. Take the 3rd goal. Main fault on Dalot for losing his man on the back post. But that shot is savable in my opinion.

Looking at the replay, he's almost doing the splits when the shot comes in and can't get enough power in his wrist to palm the ball away. That's several goals this season where he goes to ground too early and/or a tame enough shot has gone in after he's gotten a hand to it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His technique and body shape when trying to save looks all wrong. Take the 3rd goal. Main fault on Dalot for losing his man on the back post. But that shot is savable in my opinion.

Looking at the replay, he's almost doing the splits when the shot comes in and can't get enough power in his wrist to palm the ball away. That's several goals this season where he goes to ground too early and/or a tame enough shot has gone in after he's gotten a hand to it.
There is absolutely 0 chance any blame can be assigned to Onana at that goal. It was a standard save technique. He made himself big and it basically closes the angle. The attacker placed it mostly in the corner. Nothing he could do from that close.

Oscar Bonavena

I'll give him this though, one thing he is good at is being quick off his line. There was a moment in the first half where Copenhagen got in behind our defence and Onana was in a great position to clear the danger. After 10 years of David, I'm not used to seeing a United sweeper-keeper!

lex talionis

Work hauled me away from watching the match live and before I do watch it I thought I’d check out the player performance forum first.

It appears to be thumbs down on Obama. Dinner time for the lions it is!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Played pretty well today. Good to see him not smashing the ball long the whole time. A big part of our controlled possession football of the first 40 minutes and very quick (and far) off his line when we needed him. Something you would almost never see from DDG.
I agree with this. Nobody comes out of the second half with any credit though. Onana included. He’s been better recently but our defending as a whole has been disgusting.

Mercurial

Who needs shot stopping in 2023 anyway? Stopping goals with your BODY seem such a redundant skill in football.

RuudtheRed

He is no DDG at shot stopping, but probably unfair to fault him for the goals conceded today. Getting serious stick for the AWB backpass too but the ball didn't even go out? Blame the linesman or the referee for that call.

arnie_ni

I'll give him this though, one thing he is good at is being quick off his line. There was a moment in the first half where Copenhagen got in behind our defence and Onana was in a great position to clear the danger. After 10 years of David, I'm not used to seeing a United sweeper-keeper!
Yes he's done that a few times this season. Cutting out crosses before an attacker gets them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sometimes I feel like he's really unlucky, he didn't do any clear mistakes and yet we conceded 4 goals (3 goals plus penalty). In many cases those are simply very good placed shots, but at the same time, he looks very heavy and not agile at all.

Rossa

Yeah definitely saveable ( especially as he gets a big connection on it) but I guess the main thing there is Dalot being a moron
That's my biggest issue with him. He connects with so many conceded goals. The one against Arsenal also comes to mind, but his wrists seem weak, and thus he lets them in on the underside of his hands. I'm not sure I've seen that on such a regular basis with a goalie.

The two last goals I don't consider mistakes anymore, with him... with a better goalie I probably would. I've just given up on him being a good shot stopper. I wonder if he's actually much of an upgrade on Henderson (when fit)