View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

CoopersDream

What about based on Onanas exploits last season, given the games were last season?
Those games weren't all last season, though. Anyway, the problem isn't which year the games were, but the fact the he would play for us instead of Inter. It is not a coincidence that most players we buy looks much worse for us than for whatever team we buy them from.

El Jefe

Using stats to judge goalkeepers is bizarre in my opinion. Call me old school but a goalkeeper is a position that is extremely easy to recognise value through watching.

How calm does the defence seem with him, is he dominant with aerial balls, is he good with his feet and most importantly does he cost or win you points with his saves or errors.

Onana brings fear to the back four which can spread to the rest of the team. We’re only in November as far as games played and he has enough errors or questionable goals let in for two seasons. It scares me to think how long his compilation could be at the end of the season.

IRELANDUNITED

Well we are entitled to our opinions, but he was like a clown the last night. And he isn't good enough, full stop for me.

ETH said Sancho's standards were not good enough, I missed the rest about instructions etc.

A lot of scouser fans that I know have replaced hating United with laughter, they are loving it, not hating.
Not sure what they are laughing at, we have had our worst start to a season in years and are only 4 points behind them. We have had to endure a horrific run of injuries to key players as well as numerous awful refereeing and VAR decisions. Once we get a few key players back we will be fine. If they want to laugh at us because of that then let them laugh, those Scousers were never the brightest bunch anyway.

Matt Varnish

Because you don't read the entire post and just invented your own details. I clearly said Onana is to blame. It's right there, in the first line. My whole argument is that if we had a better keeper e.g Prime Neur, we would beat teams like Galatasaray but we would still lose against the big teams because we give away too many shots. Nowhere do I state that Onana is NOT to blame

The Bruno thing is even obvious in the Galatasaray game, he lost the ball for the first Goal. He lost many other balls that led to chances. Same thing with mctominay. Look beyond the assists and the Goals...look at their entire game. You are so stuck on the goals and the assists that you can't see where the problems begin. Even if you slate Amrabat, surely you have seen Casemiro or Mainoo struggle to cover the large gaps in midfield when the ball is lost. Even the 3rd goal is mainoo racing to cover someone after a ball loss. We DO NOT control games...controlling games is NOT about creating more chances than the opposition, its about retaining possession when you have the ball and controlling in which areas of the pitch you can afford to lose it. When you understand that where you lose the ball matters, you will be able to understand that bringing in a new keeper will not fix us. You need to look beyond the stats because you are missing the Game

Amrabat is a good player...we just don't play him in a system that supports his attributes. Even Casemiro looks horrible in this new ping-pong system. As long as we continue with Bruno and Mctominay/Casemiro on the pitch at once...forget about winning the big games because they give the ball away a lot. Don't get me wrong, they are needed as part of the team but at specific times. Having them both on the pitch is suicidal. Having h
Hmm I didn't invent my own details.
You may have said Ohno was to blame, then went on and contradicted yourself by saying others were at fault for giving away free kicks.
No-one is disputing free kicks were given away in stupid places, the fact still remains they were soft goals that an average Championship keeper would save.
Poor positioning and fumbling a ball, are howlers, you can't blame outfielders for that, no matter what the circumstances.
To slate McTon and Bruno, who both put a shift in, and scored only to be let down by a clown of a keeper.

Amrabat is not a good player, he is distinctly average and comes nowhere near the standard some of us re used to at this club, he's not a Scholes or Carrick, he's certainly not a Keane, he'd have a hard jab being considered as good as Nicky Butt! you don't alter a system for one player, our system doesn't a lot of players, by your thinking we should be playing 10 different systems at the same time, players adapt to the system, not the other way round.

It's not suicidal having a combination of McTominay/Fernandes/Casemiro on the pitch, but it is suicidal having a keeper who's brain goes walkabout without prior warning, the bloke even makes easy saves look difficult.

When you are pressing for the winner, which we were when it went to 3-3, you leave yourself open at the back if you loose possession, when you have two slow lumbering CB's it become the job of the faster full backs and midfield to cover for them, that is what Mainoo was doing, we do not play a zonal game.

Matt Varnish

Nothing to disagree with, if he has a better team and faces less shots, he'll make less blunders. Everyone knows that. I'm just pointing out that he did play with our best team already and didn't look too different?
It doesn't matter how good the players are in front of him when he can't stop a shot from dead balls

Son

Are
It was 5 years of howler after howler in big matches.

Would Utd have won the Sevilla game with Onana in goal? What about the Barca one a few years ago? What about The EL final under Ole?

Probably yes.
100% agree with this. People are forgetting the past half decade while Onana has actually been pretty good for us overall in 90% of games this season.

Outperforming most other keepers in the league easily.

Rista

Nah, that’s nonsense. The timing of the decision was forced by the De Gea contract situation. And, if anything, we moved him on too late. Probably should have got rid a year or two earlier - before he damaged his reputation still further with more high profile mistakes - and we might actually have got some money for him.

De Gea needed to be replaced and there was no justification for offering him a new contract to hold onto a keeper who was clearly not good enough. Whether or not we could have done better than Onana is a separate issue. One thing’s for sure, there are a lot of goalkeepers who moved clubs last summer that would have been an upgrade on our former number one. Remains to be seen if Onana is one of them.
Well, we did offer De Gea a new contract. Only to change our minds later after a couple of soft goals and the whole internet campaign against him on how he's the root of all our problems. It seemed more of a knee jerk rushed decision to me than anything else. Replacing him right there right then I mean. And if it was a calculated decision by ETH and our recruitment team then that's probably worse. I can't decide.

united for life

There is no justification for him starting next week except ETh being biased in this situation. ETH has built a reputation for dropping players who are not performing up to standards. If someone like Varane gets dropped, I see no reason not o drop Onana.

he needs some time away before the pressure (and media) eat him. He had a fantastic 22/23 season, but wearing the united shirt brings lots of pressure with it.

RuudTom83

I’m hindsight he would have looked far better if he just stayed rooted for both goals…

Gestured to the wall parting for the first, and complained about players in his eye line for the second.

But attempting to save them made the errors look 10x worse.

Hopefully we get Premier League Onana back this weekend.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Would Utd have won the Sevilla game with Onana in goal? What about the Barca one a few years ago? What about The EL final under Ole?

Probably yes.
1. Probably not. In the first leg, we played well, but had a late collapse to 2-2, nothing to do with David. Away, he conceded 2 awful goals out of 3 total, but it's hardly as though the rest of the team was smashing in the goals. It was 3-0, not 3-2.

2. Definitely not. 1-0 loss at home (not his fault), 1 bad goal away, 2 goals he could do nothing about. Again, the team wasn't close to the level needed - it was 4-0, not 4-3.

3. Probably, since the shootout came down to him missing his kick, after 10 penalties where neither keeper got close. Usually players missing kicks in the shootout aren't blamed years later.

And I don't really remember every detail of the 5 games in question, it's possible he did pull off some saves that Onana seems quite incapable of.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nothing to disagree with, if he has a better team and faces less shots, he'll make less blunders. Everyone knows that. I'm just pointing out that he did play with our best team already and didn't look too different?
Are you trying to suggest he was at fault for the team being defensively woeful in those games? :lol:

always_hoping

2nd in the league on save percentage but when that stat was given to the media today they ran with the headline "Ten Hag thinks Onana is the 2nd best keeper in the league" which pretty much shows how UK media work with their click bait nonsense.

A United goalkeeper should not be that high in the save percentage stats. It pretty much shows how much United have regressed defensively this season and that includes not getting the same protection to the defence from the midfielders.

Oranges038

100% agree with this. People are forgetting the past half decade while Onana has actually been pretty good for us overall in 90% of games this season.

Outperforming most other keepers in the league easily.
Being a goalkeeper can be cruel. Every keeper makes mistakes from time to time. A lot of it is about being confident in your own ability. If you have any doubt, errors start creeping it and it can become a vicious cycle of over thinking every action and as a result you end up making even more silly errors.

But I always find it funny that Taibi is always brought up and he only played a handful of games and sometimes Barthez, who made quite a few bad mistakes. DDG was really good for a few years, then dropped off massively for about 5. Some of his mistakes were way worse than anything either Barthez or Taibi did in the past, way worse. Yet, somehow people don't seem to remember his bigger mistakes in the same way. Because their judgement is clouded by the odd big save in between.

Footyislife

1st - Lets celebrate the fact that we no longer pay our GK squad more than what the bottom 5 sides pay their entire squad.
2nd - Onana can actually pass the ball, which is crucial to any top-flight team that wants to play attacking football. And he seems to be passionate, vocal leader from goal.
3rd - While he's made a lot of good saves, he is also wildly inconsistent (which is bizzare for him). He's won and lost us points. Nothing new from what we saw with DeGea
4rd - No GK is going to look good in front of Maguire, Evans, and Lindelof.
5th - No backup to challenge Onana and push him to become more consistent. He knows no matter what the manager backs him, and doesn't have the environment to push himself to get out of the funk he seems to be in.

USREDEVIL

It’s a wild theory but maybe because he played well for Ajax, despite that one bad season?
Hmm.
1st - Lets celebrate the fact that we no longer pay our GK squad more than what the bottom 5 sides pay their entire squad.
2nd - Onana can actually pass the ball, which is crucial to any top-flight team that wants to play attacking football. And he seems to be passionate, vocal leader from goal.
3rd - While he's made a lot of good saves, he is also wildly inconsistent (which is bizzare for him). He's won and lost us points. Nothing new from what we saw with DeGea
4rd - No GK is going to look good in front of Maguire, Evans, and Lindelof.
5th - No backup to challenge Onana and push him to become more consistent. He knows no matter what the manager backs him, and doesn't have the environment to push himself to get out of the funk he seems to be in.
De Gea was not this inconsistent. He had some spells but not like this.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The more I think about it, the more it seems to be a technique issue with him rather than a pressure issue considering his CL performances in the past. How was his technique issue not exposed before and how did our scouts not pick it out is the more important question?
The scouted the CAF?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well we are entitled to our opinions, but he was like a clown the last night. And he isn't good enough, full stop for me.

ETH said Sancho's standards were not good enough, I missed the rest about instructions etc.

A lot of scouser fans that I know have replaced hating United with laughter, they are loving it, not hating.
They're only doing what United fans used to do when we were one of the top dogs

JagUTD

Probably yes.
It wasn't though.

Half of the claimed "howlers" from De Gea weren't even howlers but just unfortunate parts of being a goalkeeper.

Look at it like this, some wrongly claim Onana made 3 howlers on Wednesday. He didn't, he made 2. Trying to blame him for the 3rd is ridiculous. A howler is a stupid, glaring or amusing mistake.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Using stats to judge goalkeepers is bizarre in my opinion. Call me old school but a goalkeeper is a position that is extremely easy to recognise value through watching.

How calm does the defence seem with him, is he dominant with aerial balls, is he good with his feet and most importantly does he cost or win you points with his saves or errors.

Onana brings fear to the back four which can spread to the rest of the team. We’re only in November as far as games played and he has enough errors or questionable goals let in for two seasons. It scares me to think how long his compilation could be at the end of the season.
This is currently true but the reverse is also probably true as well!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It wasn't though.

Half of the claimed "howlers" from De Gea weren't even howlers but just unfortunate parts of being a goalkeeper.

Look at it like this, some wrongly claim Onana made 3 howlers on Wednesday. He didn't, he made 2. Trying to blame him for the 3rd is ridiculous. A howler is a stupid, glaring or amusing mistake.
The third wasn't a howler but it was still a mistake, he didn't cover the near post as well as he should have

JagUTD

Als
The third wasn't a howler but it was still a mistake, he didn't cover the near post as well as he should have
Mistakes happen. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. Things happen in an instant in football. 9 times out of 10, even making the same minor error, the striker still needs to make a near perfect connection to score that goal.

The first two though are some of the worst howlers I've ever seen. Flowers, Enckelman, Tiabi levels of bad.

always_hoping

Als

Mistakes happen. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. Things happen in an instant in football. 9 times out of 10, even making the same minor error, the striker still needs to make a near perfect connection to score that goal.

The first two though are some of the worst howlers I've ever seen. Flowers, Enckelman, Tiabi levels of bad.
The first was similar to Mario Basler goal in the champions league final in 1999. An experienced Schmeichel should have done better and the wall set up so poorly. 2nd goal conceded no excuse at all, It was cross than ended up in the net when Martial didn't cleared it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His future at United seems very much tied to the man who - obviously - wanted to bring him here.

As fans, we have to hope that man knows what the feck he's doing.

Objectively, Onana has been extremely underwhelming so far.

sebsheep

His future at United seems very much tied to the man who - obviously - wanted to bring him here.

As fans, we have to hope that man knows what the feck he's doing.

Objectively, Onana has been extremely underwhelming so far.
Dunno mate, that's seems awfully like it's subjective.

JagUTD

The first was similar to Mario Basler goal in the champions league final in 1999. An experienced Schmeichel should have done better and the wall set up so poorly. 2nd goal conceded no excuse at all, It was cross than ended up in the net when Martial didn't cleared it.
It's not the wall for me, it's the fact he did the one thing you never do and left half the goal undefended. You set a wall up to cover half the goal and you cover the other removed behind the wall instead.

always_hoping

It's not the wall for me, it's the fact he did the one thing you never do and left half the goal undefended. You set a wall up to cover half the goal and you cover the other removed behind the wall instead.
Shot went through the big hole in the wall. So much care it taken with the organisation of walls nowadays including having a lad lay on the ground.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Dunno mate, that's seems awfully like it's subjective.
I really don't think so.

Normally, you'd call it ridiculous hyperbole if someone claimed that a single player was responsible for United failing to progress from the CL group stage.

In this case, not so much (still hyperbole, of course, but "not so much" is pretty bad in itself for an individual player).

That alone makes it pretty much objective. If your frequent and borderline spectacular feck-ups can be plausibly counted as a major reason why your team - in an easy group - failed to progress in the CL, then it's not subjective anymore.

I like him, and I hope to feck he turns out to be a grand signing. But come on, he's been an absolute failure so far and he needs to improve drastically.

(Along with the rest of the team, of course, etc. But the point is that we have very little evidence so far to support the idea that he should be our first choice keeper for years to come. Quite to the contrary.)

JagUTD

Shot went through the big hole in the wall. So much care it taken with the organisation of walls nowadays including having a lad lay on the ground.
I know but if he had not moved behind the wall and left that side undefended he would have saved it. Had he done absolutely nothing, he would probably have saved it. It wasn't a particularly good freekick.

What makes it even worse is Galatasaray basically told him what they were going to do. The players were in the wall to block Onana view then split when Ziyech took the shot leaving him a clear path to goal. Despite this Onana felt he would instead try get the ball up and over the wall into his far corner.

Just bloody stand there, if in that situation someone does go for the spectacular they'll probably hit the wall or miss and even if they do get it on target, scramble across for the save or just accept it's probably going to have been a fantastic strike and nobody is going to blame you too much for it.

JagUTD

I really don't think so.

Normally, you'd call it ridiculous hyperbole if someone claimed that a single player was responsible for United failing to progress from the CL group stage.

In this case, not so much (still hyperbole, of course, but "not so much" is pretty bad in itself for an individual player).

That alone makes it pretty much objective. If your frequent and borderline spectacular feck-ups can be plausibly counted as a major reason why your team - in an easy group - failed to progress in the CL, then it's not subjective anymore.

I like him, and I hope to feck he turns out to be a grand signing. But come on, he's been an absolute failure so far and he needs to improve drastically.

(Along with the rest of the team, of course, etc. But the point is that we have very little evidence so far to support the idea that he should be our first choice keeper for years to come. Quite to the contrary.)
I'd like to think every United fan hopes he can turn it around while he's number 1.

It's probably not the case though as we have a section of the fanbase who thrived on players failing despite it being to the detriment of the team. The criticism of Onana is nowhere near the hyperbole seen with players before, from Rooney to Pogba, Rashford to De Gea. Onana is getting called on inexcusable errors, not a misplaced pass or putting a shot wide or best yet, missing the 11th penalty.

Sylar

Well, thats the point. Hes a new player, a position which is important (GK) and its one you want to get communication with your defence right. If its changing all the time, it wont happen. Hes had what, less than 2 full games with it (one where he kept a clean sheet, albeit lucky not to concede a penalty, and then one where we conceded two but should have been winning by three before that, and again, not exactly on him).
Regardless, the point is, hes not had a consistent defence nor midfield in front of him (which is the strongest).
Those games weren't all last season, though. Anyway, the problem isn't which year the games were, but the fact the he would play for us instead of Inter. It is not a coincidence that most players we buy looks much worse for us than for whatever team we buy them from.
I dont disagree with this. We are a mishmash of different philosophies, styles and all. There doesnt seem to be one set goal / target where everybody is driving towards, and its been like that for ten years unfortunately.

padzilla

Hipster
Onana has not impressed overall but I would say in the last decade Manchester United goalkeepers have been far busier than they should be.

TempusFugit

Really annoying that without his mistakes we'd probably be qualifying comfortably, maybe even competing against Bayern for 1st place. His mistake in the Bayern game away completely swung the momentum in their favor, Galatasaray at Old Trafford as well killed us off and his shaky keeping during the last game essentially complicated what should've been a comfortable win. I think we qualify with Heaton playing instead of him.

AndySmith1990

Really annoying that without his mistakes we'd probably be qualifying comfortably, maybe even competing against Bayern for 1st place. His mistake in the Bayern game away completely swung the momentum in their favor, Galatasaray at Old Trafford as well killed us off and his shaky keeping during the last game essentially complicated what should've been a comfortable win. I think we qualify with Heaton playing instead of him.
We've conceded 14 goals in 5 games. That's not just down to the keeper. The whole team deserves criticism for us being bottom of the easiest group we could've wished for

Oranges038

It wasn't though.

There were a lot of howlers. I wouldn't be counting shots that he let go through him at the near post (there'd be a lot more if I did) or the 1 on 1s where he curled up to avoid contact. That was just poor goalkeeping not a howler but there was nothing unfortunate about those.

I'm looking at those big mistakes and handling errors in games, Sevilla last season, Arsenal where he lay on the ground, Everton where he kicked the ball right at their player, Barcelona lets in an easy shot under his body, Chelsea FA Cup same thing, Brentford same thing, West Ham last season same thing. Then you have all those flappy efforts at saving shots and crosses Watford, City near post flaps it in, easy one in the CL under Jose drops it under the crossbar.. Chelsea beats a shot straight to Alonso, Everton in the fa cup last season etc. There's tonnes of examples.

Onana made 2 bad mistakes the other evening, first one there's no way he should be allowing his sight line to be blocked like that, then he steps to the wrong side. The second one is just awful goalkeeping. Third one is a great control and finish, I don't have any problem with that, shot was hit hard and early plenty of keepers will struggle to keep that out.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What about based on Onanas exploits last season, given the games were last season?
Yes, there's nothing to suggest he would have been any better last season either, considering he also made similar mistakes at Inter.

lex talionis

On the evidence we have to dete, we’ve taken a huge step backward at keeper. This is simply not deniable. However, this has to be the bottom of Obana’a performance cycle and not his actual level that we’ll have to live with for next two or three seasons.

sebsheep

I really don't think so.

It's still an opinion.

I would say he's been poor in the CL, we could still have qualified easily despite his mistakes though. It's just when you add his mistakes to how poor we've been defensively it becomes a big problem.

In the league I'd say he's done pretty well overall so I don't understand why you're calling him an absolute failure.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In the league I'd say he's done pretty well overall so I don't understand why you're calling him an absolute failure.
He's one of the most expensive GK signings of all time, and the general impression most people (fans, media, pundits) have of him so far is that he's extremely feck-up prone.

If you like, we can remove "absolute". I'm fine with that in the interest of avoiding hyperbole.