Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There have been a lot of goals he's conceded this season that aren't howlers or due to errors in any way, but where you can't help but feel he should've done better.

CoopersDream

Are you are fine with him conceeding the curler from Pereira earlier in the game? Because keepers can only cover so much of the goal. This obsession with near post goals inherently being the keeper's fault is just lazy analysis. If you wan't the keeper to guarantee no near post goals, then you must accept that they are going to give up a bunch of far post ones.
Cannot really say as I did not watch the game. Anyway, it's just that moving inwards while the attacker has the ball makes it much easier for the player to score if he has split vision and sees that. If we go by the idea that the player already decided where to put the ball then it's probably a better idea to move.

I'm not blaming him btw, he wouldn't have saved it anyway.

Vidooq

That was a penalty-like chance. Whether he dived or not, it's still a goal, I mean, come on, I get the urge to blame him for anything and everything, but I don't blame him for that goal, or if he dived or not. 2 players blew past Iwobi like chickens that were supposed to cover at least one corner of the goal, thus leaving gaping goal for Onana to cover.

FerociousCorgis

That was a penalty-like chance. Whether he dived or not, it's still a goal, I mean, come on, I get the urge to blame him for anything and everything, but I don't blame him for that goal, or if he dived or not. 2 players blew past Iwobi like chickens that were supposed to cover at least one corner of the goal, thus leaving gaping goal for Onana to cover.
Look, I'll first say that this was a goal Onana definitely wasn't gonna stop. Definitely need to get that out of the way so people don't think just baseless bashing of him.

But it was most certainly not a penalty like chance. It was further out I believe, and more to the side. The problem is, once again, onana is feckING GUESSING before a shot gets taken. I really can't recall a top level gk that guesses so much before shots that aren't point blank to him where it somewhat makes sense to guess. He just has such bad technique and although this is not a blunder, it just shows his poor technique. The key is that literally any half decent shot to that side would have gone in due to his poor technique and resulted in him just standing there yet again. And honestly I'd have to watch the goal again, I know it was placed decently well but it wasn't hit with so much power that most gks wouldn't have been able to at least get close to it

Andersonson

Cant be blamed for either goal. He wasnt at fault today. Still unsure if he is the right man for us, but today has nothing to do with him

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If de Gea made that save against Pereira we would probably have a thread about it. Has anyone even mentioned it?

FerociousCorgis

If de Gea made that save against Pereira we would probably have a thread about it. Has anyone even mentioned it?
I wish that people could realize there are more than just 2 goalkeepers in the world, and we weren't forced to only choose between those two.

Cantonalegod

I've given this guy plenty of stick this season, but don't blame him for either goal today, and think he's be steady enough for the last few games.

No big feck ups!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If Iwobi picks the far corner and Onana doesn't guess he's going there, then it is an easy finish. If Onana does guess there and he decides to go near post he's also not saving it. Any attacker on their strong foot that close and that central is going to score if they pick out the corner unless the keeper guesses correctly. Blame Eriksen and Maguire for getting played around like cones and blame the Amad and Dalot for letting him cut in, but blaming the keeper is simply silly.
I don't think he takes the primary blame for the goal, it was an awful defensive effort, but he makes the decision easy for Iwobi. On one of the replays you can see him look up and see the massive gap.
Someone else here said it was like a penalty, so the keeper has to guess, but it was further away and quite a lot to one side. It seems Onana clearly doesn't trust his reflexes to keep out anything any decent (but imperfect) shot near the far post, so he has to make these movements that keep the goal open.

I think he's been decent recently - should have been MOTM for the Villa game - but this goal was a reminder of his weaknesses.

LittleKingCeadd

9/10 times if you hit it to the side of Onana with pace and it’s on target, it’s a goal…
He’s like a tree, rooted to the spot and hardly ever moves.
Our GD would be much better with De Gea in the net. Should never have let him go..

Red_toad

9/10 times if you hit it to the side of Onana with pace and it’s on target, it’s a goal…
Our GD would be much better with De Gea in the net. Should never have let him go..
If Dave is the answer, what's he been doing all season?

led_scholes

Yes, the unemployed guy who last year conceded 7 goals from 8 shots, who tried his best to stop us from reaching top 4, and embarrassed the team vs Sevilla, would have a better GD than Onana.

Litch

Totally agree, there are obvioulsy two capmps, and the two will never agree.
He's 50/50 keeper.
The issue is you never know which one will turn up.
The issue is the sample size is ridiculously small. We havent even had a full first season, and what happened to fans giving new players a bedding in period? Its a new team, league, country etc not to mention coming into an absolutely shit team, playing behind numerous vesions of back fours.

Not saying hes the answer but the forensic nature of examining his game is crazy, not to mention accusations that every goal he should have saved. No doubt was shocking in CL, but he has been very good in PL once he settled.

His biggest problem is hes not DDG, and he'll never be forgiven for that by some fans.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's absolutely mental at this point the sort of shite that people will try to pin on Onana. Watching the goal, it should be pretty obvious that Onana makes the correct call in trying to move towards his far post because he has both Dalot and Amad who should be capable of covering the near one. The fact that they both managed to completely screw that up is not on Onana.

FerociousCorgis

It's absolutely mental at this point the sort of shite that people will try to pin on Onana. Watching the goal, it should be pretty obvious that Onana makes the correct call in trying to move towards his far post because he has both Dalot and Amad who should be capable of covering the near one. The fact that they both managed to completely screw that up is not on Onana.
Both players had clearly overplayed the ball and were nowhere near cutting out any part of that shot. No top level gk guesses on shots like Onana does constantly. I hope he comes good but honestly poor technique is something that is hard to overcome

Mmm-Qatarian

Both players had clearly overplayed the ball and were nowhere near cutting out any part of that shot. No top level gk guesses on shots like Onana does constantly. I hope he comes good but honestly poor technique is something that is hard to overcome
That's my point. Dalot and Amad were far more at fault for that goal than Onana; with Iwobi in the position he's in Onana cannot just leave his far post entirely uncovered. His defenders put him in a shite position when they should have been covering the shot and we were punished for it.

Mmm-Qatarian

I'm sorry but I also can't take the opinion that our goal difference is poor because of our keeper seriously when we've allowed more shots than every team in the league bar Sheffield United.

FerociousCorgis

That's my point. Dalot and Amad were far more at fault for that goal than Onana; with Iwobi in the position he's in Onana cannot just leave his far post entirely uncovered. His defenders put him in a shite position when they should have been covering the shot and we were punished for it.
Yeah I agree the defenders were absolute shit. Dalot prob just too tired to cut back but no idea what amad was doing.

But my point on this thread is that once again we see bag technique from onana. Any shot to that side would've gone in, which is frankly unacceptable. I do hope he sorts his shit out but really at this point I'd rather just have kovar plus the money

Litch

Yeah I agree the defenders were absolute shit. Dalot prob just too tired to cut back but no idea what amad was doing.

But my point on this thread is that once again we see bag technique from onana. Any shot to that side would've gone in, which is frankly unacceptable. I do hope he sorts his shit out but really at this point I'd rather just have kovar plus the money
Absolute Nonsense. If he his covering that post, he leaves the other side exposed. You cant cover both sides and if he had, fans like you would be the first to apportion blame.....

tomaldinho1

The stretch to try and blame either goal on the keeper is really something but it’s like clockwork now.

The sentiment of ‘he did nothing wrong but he could have done better’ is almost comically biased.

Yakuza_devils

No one expect him to save the 2nd goal. We know his abilities. At the very least he should have dived. This should be GK natural instincts. It's like those good ST's instincts. They just know where is the goal and smell chances to finish.

Onana plays GK like an outfield player.

FerociousCorgis

Absolute Nonsense. If he his covering that post, he leaves the other side exposed. You cant cover both sides and if he had, fans like you would be the first to apportion blame.....
What are you talking about? You don't "cover a post" in that situation as a goalkeeper. You need to be in a position to at least make an attempt at a save on either side. Not just guessing. Iwobi was halfway between the pk spot and 18 on the distance, and off to the side more. If you get beat with a great shot to a corner with pace on either side so be it, but as a gk you have to at least make the shooter earn it and at least be able to dive one way or the other.

My big point is still that onana guesses way too much on shots. This isn't the first time he's just stood and watched it go in because he guessed. He needs to work on his technique, and fast, to really be a top gk

frostbite

During penalties, do you expect your goalkeeper to just stand there and do nothing because ... well, it's a penalty!

FerociousCorgis

The stretch to try and blame either goal on the keeper is really something but it’s like clockwork now.

The sentiment of ‘he did nothing wrong but he could have done better’ is almost comically biased.
How many times do we have to see poor gk technique for you to realize that? How many goals do we have to see with him guessing wrong and just standing there watching it go in the other side? This is not the first by any means of that with this season alone

Vidooq

But you'd blame him if he didn't even move. And he didn't move in that goal.
How do you know what I would do?

This clutching for straws and trying to find any God given angle to put blame on the goalkeeper is getting ridiculous. Onana had atrocious, if not, one of the worst CL campaigns ever, but he has been solid in the PL.

You can not blame him because he didn't dive on the shot that was executed from few meters out. Iwobi gave him the eyes. I have the same clip of Ronaldihno doing the same to Iker Casillas, where he didnt move. You dont save those, dived or not.

Whats baffling to me are posters saying:
- Well, I dont expect him to save that shot, but atleast he should've dived.

Like, what difference does it make, a goal is a goal. Oh, I know, it makes the goalkeeper look bad that he did not dive. Lets ignore the complete set of events that unfolded before the goal. Lost possession, no shape whatsoever, 2 players that were supposed to cover at least one side of the goal blew past Iwobi. But yeah, he should've dived, not because he would've saved the goal, but because it will make few posters feel better.

Bondi77

We are paying him half of what we were paying De gea so I don't know what the fuss is about.

frostbite

How do you know what I would do?

This clutching for straws and trying to find any God given angle to put blame on the goalkeeper is getting ridiculous. Onana had atrocious, if not, one of the worst CL campaigns ever, but he has been solid in the PL.

You can not blame him because he didn't dive on the shot that was executed from few meters out. Iwobi gave him the eyes. I have the same clip of Ronaldihno doing the same to Iker Casillas, where he didnt move. You dont save those, dived or not.

Whats baffling to me are posters saying:
- Well, I dont expect him to save that shot, but atleast he should've dived.

Like, what difference does it make, a goal is a goal. Oh, I know, it makes the goalkeeper look bad that he did not dive. Lets ignore the complete set of events that unfolded before the goal. Lost possession, no shape whatsoever, 2 players that were supposed to cover at least one side of the goal blew past Iwobi. But yeah, he should've dived, not because he would've saved the goal, but because it will make few posters feel better.
Yes, in the closing minutes of a 1-1 game at home, the least I expect from the goalkeeper is to try and catch it, even if it is hopeless.

Onana doesn't inspire any confidence. We need to find a better goalkeeper in the summer. I can't see this guy remaining our main goalkeeper for 5 years, it would be a disaster!

Kostov

We are paying him half of what we were paying De gea so I don't know what the fuss is about.
We also paid 50m to bring him in. Not sure bringing Onana was some kind of financial coup.

On the other hand, bar the early save and parry right into a Fulham player, I don't think he was to blame for the goals, we were a mess on both occasions.

frostbite

He's actually on less than a third of what De Gea was on. De Gea was on £375k a week, Onana is on somewhere between £100k to £120k.
Do you mean that the owners are very happy with Onana because they can take more money?

I am not sure about that, we have to take into account how much money the team lost from not progressing in CL.

Conor

He did nothing wrong, it was a great finish, there were multiple players that should have got a block in, it was from close range. But, he should have done better.

Make it make sense.