View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Vidooq

On Fulham’s first goal, the shot was taken from point blank range and blaming Onana is just agenda. Look at Rashford on the play, not Onana, and you will be appalled.
Distance does not matter to some posters here. They've decided that he is not good enough mostly due to his horrific CL campaign, and no matter what kind of evidence you bring to them, they will not change their opinion. Every conceded goal will be his fault, or he should've done better. Case in point.

Litch

If he doesn't move it's no longer the harder option and people then complain when a goal gets scored in that side.
Yep, its like setting up your wall at a freekick and then standing behind it, leaving the whole of the other side open......

FerociousCorgis

Distance does not matter to some posters here. They've decided that he is not good enough mostly due to his horrific CL campaign, and no matter what kind of evidence you bring to them, they will not change their opinion. Every conceded goal will be his fault, or he should've done better. Case in point.
i mean you are kinda understating his pretty poor year so far ha. Pretty much singlehandedly dumped us out of europe completely, was a complete disaster at AFCON with on field/off field stuff, and hardly been crushing it year round for us in the premier league. Has there been an improvement lately in his play, kinda yes. Has it been what we would've expected to see from a major signing at that position-debateable. He needs to improve quite a bit more to be worth the money spent in my opinion. I jokingly had said before year had started that we shouldve just saved the money and gone with Kovar, and even now id be highly curious to see what the difference wouldve been had we done that (and maybe add the complete waste of money spent on Bayindir or however you spell it). I do hope he comes good since we arent the type of club to admit a mistake early on. The weirdest thing has been the complete lack of ball movement/quick passing we've used Onana for. Generally been like watching Maguire at GK with the ball-just stand on it and wait before making a slow pass to someone. With the group of players in front of Onana just doesn't help play at all on the ball.

Litch

Spot on.....and hes not DDG, who incidentally would have saved all of them with his teeth!! Amazing how many people have become goalkeepering experts overnight.

evil_geko

Pretty much. I have never seen such an overanalysis of every little move a GK makes in my life as some people do for Onana on here. It is bonkers.

FerociousCorgis

Pretty much. I have never seen such an overanalysis of every little move a GK makes in my life as some people do for Onana on here. It is bonkers.
almost like playing GK for one of the top clubs in the world will come with scrutiny. Weird.

Litch

i mean you are kinda understating his pretty poor year so far ha. Pretty much singlehandedly dumped us out of europe completely, was a complete disaster at AFCON with on field/off field stuff, and hardly been crushing it year round for us in the premier league. Has there been an improvement lately in his play, kinda yes. Has it been what we would've expected to see from a major signing at that position-debateable. He needs to improve quite a bit more to be worth the money spent in my opinion. I jokingly had said before year had started that we shouldve just saved the money and gone with Kovar, and even now id be highly curious to see what the difference wouldve been had we done that (and maybe add the complete waste of money spent on Bayindir or however you spell it). I do hope he comes good since we arent the type of club to admit a mistake early on. The weirdest thing has been the complete lack of ball movement/quick passing we've used Onana for. Generally been like watching Maguire at GK with the ball-just stand on it and wait before making a slow pass to someone. With the group of players in front of Onana just doesn't help play at all on the ball.
Cameroon fan are you? Get over yourself like you have any interest about the OFCON. CL, I dont care, he probably saved us (excuse the pun) from more humiliation.

lex talionis

To be fair to Onana’s critics, which includes me, he’s been a very disappointing signing and a clear downgrade from De Gea, yet at the same time if you look even just casually at both goals we conceded to Fulham, no keeper who has ever lived saves either shot. Blame is on Rashford for acting like a pussy on the first goal and on the second poor defending, not the keeper, is responsible.

FerociousCorgis

Cameroon fan are you? Get over yourself like you have any interest about the OFCON. CL, I dont care, he probably saved us (excuse the pun) from more humiliation.
Nope not a Cameroon fan just you know finding myself in an Onana performance thread. Silly me talking about all his performances this season. Almost like theres some critical thinking being used that if he were destroying it for them with great games and just struggling with United you could make the argument that it might have more to do with United than Onana. And yeah, why should we care that we got knocked out of champions league and didnt at least give ourselves a chance for some magical run in the knockout stages, since that never really happens right?

Litch

almost like playing GK for one of the top clubs in the world will come with scrutiny. Weird.
Interesting. Scrutiny is one thing but when people are suggesting that he should have saved those two goals....thats clearly something more deeper than that.

FerociousCorgis

To be fair to Onana’s critics, which includes me, he’s been a very disappointing signing and a clear downgrade from De Gea, yet at the same time if you look even just casually at both goals we conceded to Fulham, no keeper who has ever lived saves either shot. Blame is on Rashford for acting like a pussy on the first goal and on the second poor defending, not the keeper, is responsible.
for me the biggest frustration is the over reliance on some to boil this down to Onana vs DDG, like we were stuck with only choosing from those two GKs in the entire world. Seems like very few can understand that it can be both true that it was time to move on from DDG (which it really was), and at the same time onana can be not good enough (which jury is definitely still out on)

FerociousCorgis

Interesting. Scrutiny is one thing but when people are suggesting that he should have saved those two goals....thats clearly something more deeper than that.
Nah i havent really seen much of people saying he shouldve saved them, just that you can see his poor technique here that he doesnt even make an attempt to dive for it. Which has happened several times already this season if im not mistaken. His poor technique is pretty clear to see, and has resulted in quite a few goals where you think "man that wasnt a howler but could he have done better?"

FerociousCorgis

There is scrutiny, then there is clown levels of overanalysis used to further an agenda against someone.
maybe for some. I dont know for me ive tried to be pretty objective. Def think it was time to move on from DDG, just havent been super impressed by Onana. Part of me misses the day of old goalkeepers i guess where we just expected them to make saves back there and worried less about how well they can make a pass to a fullback. Could just be the old timer in me thinking of the goalkeeping heydays haha

lex talionis

for me the biggest frustration is the over reliance on some to boil this down to Onana vs DDG, like we were stuck with only choosing from those two GKs in the entire world. Seems like very few can understand that it can be both true that it was time to move on from DDG (which it really was), and at the same time onana can be not good enough (which jury is definitely still out on)
You’ve fallen into buying the myth that replacing De Gea was a top priority. It really wasn’t. What were the higher priorities?

A CB, a CDM, a true 8 and a second striker.

We brought in Evans, who overall has been great but in truth we’re wobbly in central defense. We did not bring in a CDM to cover for Casemiro. We did not bring in an 8. And we have no cover for Hojlund.

Despite it all, our goals conceded record in the PL was outstanding. Where we fell apart was in finishing, part of which can be blamed on the midfield for not creating better chances but primary responsibility for that failure lay with our front line. Hojlund was a great addition but we all knew it would take time for him to adapt to the PL and it in fact did. But we have no other goal scorers.

De Gea was poor in key games for us last season but Onana has been worse for us this season. The right move would have been to bring in a promising young keeper, such as Vicario, to cover for and when he was ready to take over for De Gea, who would have made an outstanding backup keeper. As it is now, opponents lick their lips at the sight of Onana and know that if they can hit the target that they’ll beat him. De Gea had his howlers, but he was always a keeper capable of making the saves you expect any keeper to make as well as saves only a few keepers on the planet are capable of making.

The 47m did not need to be spent on what is undeniably an average keeper.

Mmm-Qatarian

Why does he insist on hanging onto the ball for a feckin' age all the time? I get the movement in front of him is poor a lot of the time... but even when there are options he very rarely gives it without a lot of umming and ahhhing.

What makes it worse is when he collects the ball he does that thing wher he sprints forward and looks left and right, pumping his arms as if he wants to throw it (but very rarely actually does).

I can only assume he gets paid per touch.
I think you answered your own question. There's no point expecting your goalkeeper to showcase their distribution when you're not giving them anything to distribute to.

Onana was probably second only to Ederson in his ability to distribute the ball as a goalkeeper at both Inter and Ajax, because they were both coherent sides that played to this strength. Does anyone really think it's likely that he's joined United and just suddenly forgotten how to do any of this? No, let's be real here, the problem is instead that Ten Hag has once again signed a player for a very specific strength, and then bafflingly decided to set the team up in a way that completely nullifies that strength.

This complete misuse of recent signings has been a wider issue with Ten Hag's time here as a whole, although I will be fair and say I do think the injuries to Shaw and Martinez have played a part in exacerbating it.

Red Rash

Did well and made some good saves. He has a very unorthodox style, don't mean it to sound as a criticism as he had a good game but it does provide some heart in mouth moments.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Quietly putting in a lot of good performances. I hope he kicks on next season.

midou

2 games in a row our best player. Thought he was terrible before and a huge transfer mistake, looks better and better.

Bobski

He looks more secure on the low shots that were causing so many issues earlier in the season. Don't know enough about the technique of goalkeeping to see if he has made any changes, perhaps just getting fitter and sharper.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
After seeing all those stats of how many shots we concede a game, I don't blame him for the shaky start. Looking better and better as the season goes on.

Marwood

Yeah better tonight. I think the shots were all at a height he(and most keepers) likes but nonethless, good stuff.

Roane

Onana is a heavy set keeper so will look awkward in slow motion replays. DDG always was light so looked more elegant.

Compare big Pete and Edwin and you see the same. Pete being Onana like.

Onana has so many shots at him he is bound to have more goals against. Big Pete was protected by a good defence and midfield. But was always susceptible to a lob/chip as he was so far out at times. Likes of le tiss took advantage without even looking up.

Get behind the keeper folks. He has made mistakes but he is a decent keeper who is always under the cosh currently

RuudTom83

One of the most consistent performer currently, but we all know it will go without even a mention on socials.

But the second he makes the next mistake even if it's the first one in 10 games it will be EVERYWHERE!

Lucky for us Onana doesn't seem to care and just gets on with it fairly quickly...good signs.

lex talionis

Oh my, Onana was outstanding. The man was like a new signing. Easily MOTM but more importantly for the first time he looked like an upgrade on De Gea.

Onward and upward.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Oh my, Onana was outstanding. The man was like a new signing. Easily MOTM but more importantly for the first time he looked like an upgrade on De Gea.

Onward and upward.
That Villa's game was his best so far. But i like that Gk just doing his job with occasional brilliance.

lex talionis

That Villa's game was his best so far. But i like that Gk just doing his job with occasional brilliance.
Either way, Onana was fantastic today. For those like me who felt that we didn't need to spend 50m keeper last summer, at least we have the keeper now that we wished we had the first half of the season.

But here are now and all that really matters now are the preparations we're making for next season and Onana is very much central to those preparations.