View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

These things happen to every keeper, but we were all told his footwork would transform our attack. It hasn’t worked out that way but the reality is Onana is one of our most consistently positive performers since the he came back from AFCON virtually a new man from his disastrous first six months in the squad. Onward and upward,

Matt Varnish

These things happen to every keeper, but we were all told his footwork would transform our attack. It hasn’t worked out that way but the reality is Onana is one of our most consistently positive performers since the he came back from AFCON virtually a new man from his disastrous first six months in the squad. Onward and upward,
:lol:
Are you on Britains Got Talent this year

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Forgetting of course that we bought him for his "outstanding" passing ability.
Which is outstanding. I’ve seen Messi give away possession, it’s impossible not to. What’s your point? He’s clearly 10x better with then all at his feet than De Gea and frankly the vast majority of keepers so one error is hardly of note.

tomaldinho1

Yeah, I was thinking that. Look at how often a brilliant keeper like Allison gets involved in conceding similar chances/goals. Two over an entire season does seem to be about par (or below?) given his style of play. I wouldn’t have any doubts about him at all if those were the only two errors. In fact, if we could ignore the CL howler, then I’d be pretty happy with him overall.
The good thing for me is the trend is clearly positive. He started poorly but has been arguably our best performer for a while now. Handling errors like the Bayern goal are what give the most fear but let’s hope he continues winning people over.

Sylar

Tbf regarding the ability with his feet, he did put us through in the first half which I think it was dalot brought down and passed to garnacho who should have scored. And we've had a few chances like that this season (one where onana sent dalot free but he missed it and another I beleive at Liverpool where Antony was sent through but decided to let the whole Liverpool backline retreat due to the lack of his right foot).

I expect passing out the back mishaps here and there, the way he covered the front post for their chance (or lack of) was a bigger issue however.

Edit: thanks @BenitoSTARR for posting what I meant haha

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I mean did anyone really expect us to be that toothless in attack this year with Rashford, Martial and Sancho all being useless and having to rely on 2 teenagers?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
1:45 he soon made up for it
0:25 That's what you call a "telling" pass
As Pogue and others have pointed out this is probably his second pass that has led to a goal conceded? I’d argue for all else he offers that is absolutely something I’m willing to put up with.

As for the “soon made up for it” comment I think it’s really lazy to be thinking because we conceded it’s his fault? Onana is a well above career GK and I would argue is world class for a GK in terms of distribution.

You could find more examples of his long passing if you cared to search.

Matt Varnish

As Pogue and others have pointed out this is probably his second pass that has led to a goal conceded? I’d argue for all else he offers that is absolutely something I’m willing to put up with.

As for the “soon made up for it” comment I think it’s really lazy to be thinking because we conceded it’s his fault? Onana is a well above career GK and I would argue is world class for a GK in terms of distribution.

You could find more examples of his long passing if you cared to search.
It was his fault he conceded, the same as it was his fault we failed in the ECL, the most goalkeeping errors in single season since 2018/19.
The same rules apply, if you hit enough shots at him he's going to stop some, his long ball is not as good as you make out, for every Hollywood pass he makes, there are many that do not get to the intended target, or result in the ball coming straight back at us.
His decision making is poor
His diving is poor
He's poor on his near post.
He's poor in the air
He got dropped during AFCON
He chartered an airplane to the wrong airport.
The guy just lacks intelligence.

This guy is supposed to be the finished article, put him against a prime Schmiechel, VDS or even De Gea and he's not fit to clean their boots!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I said the other day somewhere that his shot-stopping has now become better then his passing - and I do genuinely think that. His shot-stopping has improved a lot of late to where he now looks like a normal keeper, and to be honest I've never been impressed with his passing. His ball control/being comfortable with the ball at his feet? Absolutley brilliant, but the actual passes often leave a lot to be desired.

Matt Varnish

I said the other day somewhere that his shot-stopping has now become better then his passing - and I do genuinely think that. His shot-stopping has improved a lot of late to where he now looks like a normal keeper, and to be honest I've never been impressed with his passing. His ball control/being comfortable with the ball at his feet? Absolutley brilliant, but the actual passes often leave a lot to be desired.
Not really true, Sheffield had four shots on target and scored two. More concern that both were near post.
Too many confuse shots conceded and shots on target, shots conceded includes efforts that go off target.

Matt Varnish

Which is outstanding. I’ve seen Messi give away possession, it’s impossible not to. What’s your point? He’s clearly 10x better with then all at his feet than De Gea and frankly the vast majority of keepers so one error is hardly of note.
I'd like to know what you think "poor" is, if you consider his passing outstanding.
His abysmal passing far outweighs the odd Hollywood pass he makes.
What do you really want a tikka takka keeper, or one that can keep the ball out of the net?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'd like to know what you think "poor" is, if you consider his passing outstanding.
His abysmal passing far outweighs the odd Hollywood pass he makes.
What do you really want a tikka takka keeper, or one that can keep the ball out of the net?
We needed both and after a shaky start he’s proving to be good enough in all departments. A massive upgrade on what we had thank god. Next season will be a big one to see if he can continue his fine form over the course of a whole season for us rather than just 6 months.

Matt Varnish

We needed both and after a shaky start he’s proving to be good enough in all departments. A massive upgrade on what we had thank god. Next season will be a big one to see if he can continue his fine form over the course of a whole season for us rather than just 6 months.
Ah compare a goalkeeper in decline to one who is supposed to be in his prime, that's a great argument.
De Gea in his prime was far better than this clown

lex talionis

I mean did anyone really expect us to be that toothless in attack this year with Rashford, Martial and Sancho all being useless and having to rely on 2 teenagers?
To be honest, I was very concerned about Rashford, Martial and Sancho before the summer friendlies. And what we saw during the summer from the back to front made me fear the worst, which in fact came to past.

But this thread is about Onana, about whom it must be said has been fantastic since his return from AFCON.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree, but the worrying thing is that we may finally be content he is a "normal" keeper, which 90% of PL goalkeepers are. We paid that much for a "normal" gk that came with a 6 months malfunction period.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
When we bought Onana no one expected Rashford to be as useless as he has been

Kostov

You surely don’t believe that don’t you?

mu4c_20le

I'm afraid no god would ever take you and your insane opinions

SATA

New manager or not, he starts next season as the number one goalkeeper. I have no problems with him whatsoever and he’ll be even better after this debut season

Matt Varnish

Whatever you are taking must be illegal

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very inactive in here.... shouldnt the pile on begin? He actually reminded me of DDG with that bad pass. A shame because he didnt make mistakes for quite a while.
Most of it was in the attention seeking thread.
It's the kind of pass you can't really afford to get wrong, but will happen every now and again. Generally he's been very good with short passing out from the back, selection and execution wise.
Luckily we recovered from it quite quickly.

Matt Varnish

We bought Rio for his outstanding Defending ability. Didn’t stop him having mistakes for the first wee while
Rio was far from the finished article when we bought him, he was about 22!
He'd only made 54 appearances for Leeds.
It may come as a shock, but he wasn't a goalkeeper either.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Rio was far from the finished article when we bought him, he was about 22!
He'd only made 54 appearances for Leeds.
It may come as a shock, but he wasn't a goalkeeper either.
Well Peter Schmeichel was, and he did drop a few clangers here and there

sebsheep

Well Peter Schmeichel was, and he did drop a few clangers here and there
The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana.
There's a reason he referred to 1.45 in the video linked before, Sheffield United's 2nd goal. It's because to him, that too is on Onana.
Just like pretty much every goal we concede.

Cantonalegod

He's been decent lately, but this was not of his best.

First goal, enough said already.

Second goal he dives behind two blocking defenders from exactly where the ball goes in.
If he stand still and upright it just hits him. Why did he dive out of the way?

Matt Varnish

The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana.
There's a reason he referred to 1.45 in the video linked before, Sheffield United's 2nd goal. It's because to him, that too is on Onana.
Just like pretty much every goal we concede.
The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana. Wrong I don't know him, so I cannot like or dislike him
There's a reason he referred to 1.45 in the video linked before, Sheffield United's 2nd goal. It's because to him, that too is on Onana. Could've done better, lack awareness
Just like pretty much every goal we concede. Wrong, Theres been a few top class keeper wouldn't stop

Not bad for a first attempt, but like Ohno, I expected better

sebsheep

The thing you have to understand about Mr Varnish is that he really doesn't like Onana. Wrong I don't know him, so I cannot like or dislike him
There's a reason he referred to 1.45 in the video linked before, Sheffield United's 2nd goal. It's because to him, that too is on Onana. Could've done better, lack awareness
Just like pretty much every goal we concede. Wrong, Theres been a few top class keeper wouldn't stop

Not bad for a first attempt, but like Ohno, I expected better
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/context

Matt Varnish

He's been decent lately, but this was not of his best.

First goal, enough said already.

Second goal he dives behind two blocking defenders from exactly where the ball goes in.
If he stand still and upright it just hits him. Why did he dive out of the way?
People don't like the truth