5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulse

Was Pogba not good enough? Was Di Maria not good enough?

Pogba was deemed not good enough to play in a midfield two, which is completely different to playing in a midfield three alongside Pirlo/Marchisio/Vidal. Rafael and Park were a gamble but so would have been Pogba who had been so poor playing against Championship side Crystal Palace just a month prior that he had to be moved to CB because we were being outplayed in midfield.

Di Maria was obviously good enough but stopped trying after three months.

In Rainbows

Pogba was deemed not good enough to play in a midfield two, which is completely different to playing in a midfield three alongside Pirlo/Marchisio/Vidal. Rafael and Park were a gamble but so would have been Pogba who had been so poor playing against Championship side Crystal Palace just a month prior that he had to be moved to CB because we were being outplayed in midfield.

Oh come on. There's no way Pogba would have been worse than Rafael in a midfield 2. Park was having a really bad season that year compared to his brilliant season the year before.

Impulse

I never said Pogba would have been worse, I said he'd have been a gamble. The way the story is told it's as if we had an already proven top class player sat on the bench, when in reality we had a talented player who had thus far looked out of his depth playing senior football.

Ludens the Red

Him making that run at the end, picking the ball up and booting it after the final whistle automatically meant he'd performed significantly better than any midfield player on the pitch.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Him making that run at the end, picking the ball up and booting it after the final whistle automatically meant he'd performed significantly better than any midfield player on the pitch.
Ha, i thought the same thing. You can tell he cared... He was desperate to make an impression, and I really hope he gets more minutes now.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He is getting chance to play very rarely and too late in the game when we are already in hopeless situation. He has to start on Monday night.

JackXX

Can't understand why he hasn't been given more opportunities really. He probably wishes he went to play somewhere else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wonder if he isn't slightly annoyed by the fact that he's managed to start only one more game then Donald Love has for United this season...

Revan

Assumptionman

Wasn't he moved to CB because we got a defender sent off in that match?

Virtuoso

I did like seeing that and glad others saw it too. About time one of our players showed some passion on the pitch. It especially contrasted well with Mata's non-tackle before the 2nd goal which probably contributed to Pereira coming on in the first place.

I do really want to see Pereira given a proper chance in the team, practically no-one is rightfully keeping him out of the side right now in any of the 3 positions behind the striker (if Martial is to play the no.9 now). I've watched Pereira play since he was in the U18s, he's earned his chance now in my opinion and I hope he is given it.

mufcwarm92

Personally I just don't get the hype.

He's championed as one of the brightest prospects the academy has seen in years but he looks some way off being ready for the first team for me. Obviously you have to take his age into account but I don't think he's shown anywhere near enough in the matches he's played to warrant the game time everyone seems to think he deserves.

I'd love to be proved wrong but he isn't someone I think will end up being a United level player.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He's championed as one of the brightest prospects the academy has seen in years but he looks some way off being ready for the first team for me. Obviously you have to take his age into account but I don't think he's shown anywhere near enough in the matches he's played to warrant the game time everyone seems to think he deserves.

I'd love to be proved wrong but he isn't someone I think will end up being a United level player.
How can you judge him? He hasn't really been given a fair chance yet and you're writing him off?

Grib

Was a bit pointless putting him on at that stage

Going into a game were the other 10 players have long since given up, against a small no name club who are taking the piss surely isn't going to help anyones development

Its more like punishment

Impulse

Wasn't he moved to CB because we got a defender sent off in that match?
Nope, we didn't have anyone sent off. Carrick was playing CB iirc, and they were switched around because Pogba couldn't get into the game at all in midfield.

m1y2

sfsdfs

lol, he played like 30 minutes in 45 games so far this season, only retards would judge him by that, let alone Van Gaal never pick an easy match for him to send him on to feature in his usual 8 minutes per month

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

What are you on about? He came on when we lost the game already and played like shit. What did you expect? He hardly got any minutes yet you want him to show more in matched - so basically in the last 5 mins of the odd game?

Ludens the Red

I did like seeing that and glad others saw it too. About time one of our players showed some passion on the pitch. It especially contrasted well with Mata's non-tackle before the 2nd goal which probably contributed to Pereira coming on in the first place.

I do really want to see Pereira given a proper chance in the team, practically no-one is rightfully keeping him out of the side right now in any of the 3 positions behind the striker (if Martial is to play the no.9 now). I've watched Pereira play since he was in the U18s, he's earned his chance now in my opinion and I hope he is given it.
Yeah, he deserves a chance, I never watched him n the youth teams but from what I've seen in the first team in his cameos, is that he looks a little light weight, almost Mata like, neat and tidy but ultimately ineffectual.
Regardless he deserves at least a few starts if purely on the basis that everyone else is a pile of shit.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, he deserves a chance, I never watched him n the youth teams but from what I've seen in the first team in his cameos, is that he looks a little light weight, almost Mata like, neat and tidy but ultimately ineffectual.
Regardless he deserves at least a few starts if purely on the basis that everyone else is a pile of shit.
He is like Mata regarding his spacial intelligence and ability on the ball, free kicks, penetrative passing etc. He is dissimilar to Mata in that he has some pace and he likes a tackle, there is aggression in him. He can also go past players with skill (see his goal in the u20 World Cup final) and he takes corners from both sides with either foot. In terms of ability he I believe he us that best we have at his age. He has only played 90 minutes once for us and really does deserve more minutes to prove himself. Similar with Pogba, as the talent level is so high, he should be given as much time as possible to come good IMO.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
he will start against shrewsbury, hopefully he bags a goal and an assist to show he needs a real game

El Jefe

You would expect him to start today but still no start.

It has to be said, LvG from his time at United has always given youth players starts so maybe Pereira is not doing something right in training.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

It has to be said, LvG from his time at United has always given youth players starts so maybe Pereira is not doing something right in training.
Knowing van Gaal Pereira is probably the best player in training but van Gaal wants to prove he's a genius and makes bold decision to start everyone else ahead of him.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

that's one of the things that drives me mad about lvg... he gets this ridiculous praise for playing youth, when in fact he only plays youth because people are injured. otherwise he doesn't play them... martial being the exception.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He gives players time mainly if they're defenders/first team players are injured. The youth attackers probably haven't had their senses dulled and actually try to play enjoyable football, if the U21 performances are anything to go by.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He gives players time mainly if they're defenders/first team players are injured. The youth attackers probably haven't had their senses dulled and actually try to play enjoyable football, if the U21 performances are anything to go by.
precisely.

NinjaFletch

that's one of the things that drives me mad about lvg... he gets this ridiculous praise for playing youth, when in fact he only plays youth because people are injured. otherwise he doesn't play them... martial being the exception.
Well thats hardly fair. He plays the youth when players are injured because he deliberately sold back up players so they would be next in line.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Well thats hardly fair. He plays the youth when players are injured because he deliberately sold back up players so they would be next in line.
i don't believe that for a second. if lvg told me 2+2=4 i'd still require a second source, because nothing he says or does resembles sensibility.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How shit have you got to be if you can't get ahead of the shit that plays week in week out?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Did you miss our fire sales of the past two summers?
i am no expert on youth development, i only know what i see what i read and what i hear.

for my money, januzaj, pereira and wilson are the top three youngsters (not including shaw and martial who are established), and his treatment of all three beggars belief. ok, so on the back end there are a few players showing promise such as CBJ. who else has he brought forward?

the fire sales were needed, but what he did after wasn't right.

SteveW

Pereira is a funny one. It's obvious he has a huge amount of talent and great technique but his performances are generally a bit hit and miss imo.

He might be someone we just need to have some faith in and see if the bigger stage brings out the best in him. Playing at U21 level won't always be enough to stimulate a player of his ability. Pogba for example never really turned it on at reserve level but flourished once he got a chance to play first team football at Juve.

I worry that if he doesn't get a chance now he never will. LVG seems to try all the youngsters except the good ones and I don't see Jose as the type who would ever be brave enough to put his trust in a young player with limited experience

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Pereira is a funny one. It's obvious he has a huge amount of talent and great technique but his performances are generally a bit hit and miss imo.

He might be someone we just need to have some faith in and see if the bigger stage brings out the best in him. Playing at U21 level won't always be enough to stimulate a player of his ability. Pogba for example never really turned it on at reserve level but flourished once he got a chance to play first team football at Juve.

I worry that if he doesn't get a chance now he never will. LVG seems to try all the youngsters except the good ones and I don't see Jose as the type who would ever be brave enough to put his trust in a young player with limited experience
what performances?

and whatever these performances are, how can they be any worse than the dross we've been subject to time and time again?

Status
Not open for further replies.