Andreas Pereira signs new deal until June 2023

passing-wind

His time at this club should be done. He's been here for years and has done nothing but have a good pre season under Mourinho / score a wonder goal (Macheda Mk2).

Disgraceful that he's been awarded a new contract. All this gung ho approach Solskjaer mentioned at the end of last season getting rid of XYZ "you won't be seeing some of the lads here next season" he's full of crap. The worst players last season have all essentially been given new deals.

This club is absolutely ridiculous.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
For the first time in his United career he has timing on his side, we are weak in midfield and lost Fellaini/Herrera in 6 months. Don’t think he’s that good but let’s see what he’s got. He’s got work rate but not sure about anything else at top level.
He is a squad player, problem is so are a majority of our players and we have done very little about it.

Rusholme Ruffian

Talented player gets contract extension and everyone is up in arms!
Really don't get what has happened to our fanbase when a player like Pereira gets this much hate for getting a new contract.
The guys talented, has scored good goals for us and works hard, he's not the best player ever admittedly but definitely one deserving of a new contract.
I only remember 1?

RedDevil-85

Im fine with it.
Good for Pereira this,finally he probably feels like a part of the squad,no more loan moves and uncertainty over his future.
Now he can just focus on his football and kick on next season.

Crustanoid

Great, no need to splash out on a midfielder now.

We can afford to lose Pogba and also let Liverpool have Fernandes

Now all we need is to sign up a new contract for Tuanzebe and we’ll be able to tell Maguire to do one. Maybe let him go to City.

Great work Ed. You’ve saved us money!

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I'm actually quite happy with this. Can we honestly say he's had a proper run in the team? I don't think so.

The kid (although 23 now) has talent, he had some good games last season. Give him a good run of games and challenge him to take his chance. He may just be a bit of a late bloomer but this is the season to prove he has it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Meh. I don't really rate him much but he is far down the list of players I want to see gone right now. Midfield backup in case of injuries.

nicklc182

He needs a chance to have a proper pre season in the right system, don't forget he was shoe-horned in as a make shift defensive midfielder under Mourinho for some reason, plus he's only 23.

Let's see what he can do, either way he's either a success or has some form of resale value now.

UnitedObsession99

Assuming the salary is reasonable, which it should be given the limited signs of quality he has been able to show, there is literally only upside from the renewal.

He is young enough that even if he proves nothing more for 2 years he can still be sold as having potential for more in 2 years time.

If he shows more of the glimpses of quality we have seen then he saves us potentially buying an alternative flavour of the month for £60m

Anyone complaining about this is seriously clueless at what it takes to run a business. You can't just let everyone go for free and replace them with £100m players only to release them a few years later when they also don't prove to be the next Messi!

At this stage Pereira is a squad player with potential for more. We have plenty of first team slots that need work so no need to get overly worked up about a deal like this.

ArjenIsM3

Meh. I don't really rate him much but he is far down the list of players I want to see gone right now. Midfield backup in case of injuries.
Same. Decent squad player to have at a time where we're already lacking in both numbers and quality in midfield and RW

Eric's Seagull

Personally think he should have moved on but whilst he is here for the next few years hope, he does well. Shown glimpses of talent but nothing special. Looking for big improvement in his game.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
"Some players will not be here next year".
Yet we've given Jones, Young, Mata and Pereira shiny new deals :lol:

You reward mediocre players and they'll reward you with mediocre performances, in the end it'll cost the manager his job and the cycle will repeat itself again.

All this gung ho approach Solskjaer mentioned at the end of last season getting rid of XYZ "you won't be seeing some of the lads here next season" he's full of crap. The worst players last season have all essentially been given new deals.

British/academy players will be given a very long rope under him, don't know why you're surprised. The list of transfer targets tell a story in itself.

Fellaini was sold basically straight away, because Ole wanted none of him. He also marginalised Lukaku in favor of other players when he's the best goalscorer we have in the squad. Their technique has been criticized on here for ages but they aren't the only ones bereft of technique in our squad though.

Last edited:

Silas

More optimistic about him than Fred. Still need two CMs though.

Last edited:

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
IIRC he did, during Caretaker Ole months -> it was so bad of a performance. Exposed defensively, no defensive sense and he couldn't dictate and control things.

-Fred-----McT-
----Pereira----

That's the midfield set-up first half. Messy. I think it was a cup game.
Our front three in attack who has more exps doesn't help 'em. 2nd half with McT switch position with Pereira is better, more stable.
I can't imagine any holding midfielder shining with that in front of him to be fair.

Perhaps with a better blend and with better options in front and behind him, he could do well there long-term.

G-manc

His time at this club should be done. He's been here for years and has done nothing but have a good pre season under Mourinho / score a wonder goal (Macheda Mk2).

Disgraceful that he's been awarded a new contract. All this gung ho approach Solskjaer mentioned at the end of last season getting rid of XYZ "you won't be seeing some of the lads here next season" he's full of crap. The worst players last season have all essentially been given new deals.

This - he was awful last season wherever he played.

I was hoping he was part of the deadwood we were getting rid of.

manunited1919

He’s signed so he can play as #10, so now we don’t need Fernandez? Or is he going to be just a bench option? I can see why the club have offered him a contract, but I don’t understand why he signed it if he will be a bench option.

bonothom

Glad to see United getting their transfer business done nice and quickly. May the good times continue to roll.

Camilo

Player in squad gets paid for a bit longer. Good. He'll never start a game, but that's fine.

Ed9

Very happy with that. He's better than Fred for me from what I've seen last season.

Nick7

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not convinced this is a good decision. He seemed a very pointless player last season who is suited to a team with lesser aspirations.

Craig Ward

Its a good contract extension.

We are weak in midfield and uncertainty around Pogba

Nick7

Not convinced this is a good decision. He seemed a very pointless player last season who is suited to a team with lesser aspirations.
So letting him go for cheap or potentially nothing next summer is a better decision? I see absolutely no downside to keeping him around the squad and I didn’t think he was that good last season.

amolbhatia50k

So letting him go for cheap or potentially nothing next summer is a better decision? I see absolutely no downside to keeping him around the squad and I didn’t think he was that good last season.
I suppose. The downside, naturally, would be to persist with him as an important player if he's not good enough. If we view it as an intelligent decision from the perspective of recouperating then sure, it makes sense. Even better if he develops well of course.

Nick7

I suppose. The downside, naturally, would be to persist with him as an important player if he's not good enough. If we view it as an intelligent decision from the perspective of recouperating then sure, it makes sense. Even better if he develops well of course.
But he's never been an important player for us? Why would he suddenly now be treated as one if he isn't good enough?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
On loan in Valencia he used to play more on the wing, made few great crosses plus few long shots and honestly thought United could use his experience in this direction, especially after signing Fred. Then again, Andreas the defensive midfielder was perhaps Jose's biggest brain fart in entire career, he even admitted in one interview he doesn't know where to put him in formation.

If he was tactically coherent like Herrera then we could talk about huge luck this summer, but that's not the case. I still think he could be very decent winger rather than classic CM. He got solid accuracy when it comes to crossing, he also can be quite dynamic and most obvious, he possess few tricks up his sleeve... he simply got attributes for a winger, but somehow even Ole persists his role should be in central sector.

I wish him luck, he's young and perfectly fits Ole's vision but just like Fred he needs to get a proper role in this team.

amolbhatia50k

But he's never been an important player for us? Why would he suddenly now be treated as one if he isn't good enough?
By important I don't mean one of the first on the team sheets but someone who takes a spot in the squad and plenty of minutes. There's enough examples of a disproportion between the quality of a player and the standard required from someone getting the minutes/importance he is.

Naturally we l want him to do very well. I'm just saying the downside exists depending on the context.

Gopher Brown

Nobody can say he’s deserved this, but okay, we’ll see. We can always sell him next year, but if he is a regular in our midfield next year something has badly gone wrong.

We need numbers, but we seem to be filling out the midfield with fairly average players - him, Fred, Matic, McT - none of whom seem to offer very much. And yet we let Herrera leave for free despite offering us a lot.

Smores

Or more likely we'll pay him 5m a season and sell him for 2.5m in 3 years
Yup, yet i bet the same people applauding this did the same with the likes of rojo. Some people never learn

Gopher Brown

On loan in Valencia he used to play more on the wing, made few great crosses plus few long shots and honestly thought United could use his experience in this direction, especially after signing Fred. Then again, Andreas the defensive midfielder was perhaps Jose's biggest brain fart in entire career, he even admitted in one interview he doesn't know where to put him in formation.

If he was tactically coherent like Herrera then we could talk about huge luck this summer, but that's not the case. I still think he could be very decent winger rather than classic CM. He got solid accuracy when it comes to crossing, he also can be quite dynamic and most obvious, he possess few tricks up his sleeve... he simply got attributes for a winger, but somehow even Ole persists his role should be in central sector.

I wish him luck, he's young and perfectly fits Ole's vision but just like Fred he needs to get a proper role in this team.
He’s not fast enough to be a winger, nor very good at dribbling