Angel Di Maria - PSG Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't get it. He punts the ball up field and everyone says that he's what we're missing creativity wise? It's a decent pass but feck me you make it sound like it was world class. Schweinsteiger's through ball mid-week was better!
They're two very good passes, Bastian's was obviously better but Di Maria didn't just punt it. The weight of it was perfect.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Just to chime in on this:

He's now playing with the likes of Zlatan, Cavani, Verratti, Lucas Moura and Matuidi which even the staunchest United fan must admit is an increase in quality around him. Not sure if France is a weak league.. I'd say the best teams are better than our best teams but the weakest teams are worse than ours.

Bwuk

Hell be brilliant and everyone knows it.

LVGs tactics made him appear worse than he is.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yeah it's that simple.
It isnt, but a players relationship with the manager will also influence how he performs though..Even before his departure, in those interviews whereby Di maria was declaring that he wouldnt go and wanted to stay, one comment in passing stuck out for me, He described LVG as cold..

Im not saying LVG is totally to blame and admittedly a lot of Adm's perfomances near the end were very poor, but perhaps LVG's cold and distant personality doesnt always work in getting the best of all of his players..Some players require a more shoulder over the arm approach..

Adm might be a person non-grata right now due to how he left, but that has to be considered at least.

Mali_Zeus

It isnt, but a players relationship with the manager will also influence how he performs though..Even before his departure, in those interviews whereby Di maria was declaring that he wouldnt go and wanted to stay, one comment in passing stuck out for me, He described LVG as cold..

Im not saying LVG is totally to blame and admittedly a lot of Adm's perfomances near the end were very poor, but perhaps LVG's cold and distant personality doesnt always work in getting the best of all of his players..Some players require a more shoulder over the arm approach..

Adm might be a person non-grata right now due to how he left, but that has to be considered at least.
He's not his father, he is his manager. Sure it's not all ADM's fault but I don't think he had a right attitude if he needed an arm around his shoulder to play his best.

Ixion

I wish we'd tried more to keep him. He had 4 years on his contract so there was nothing he could really do to force our hand, it was entirely our decision. I can understand letting people go who don't want to be at the club but this guy was surely worth one more year to see how it went.

K2K

He's not his father, he is his manager. Sure it's not all ADM's fault but I don't think he had a right attitude if he needed an arm around his shoulder to play his best.
But thats the thing, not all players are the same..Take someone like Ronaldo for example, who seems very strong mentally..but years earlier when he was here , dealing with the difficulties of the league, He needed a shoulder around his arm him too..that is why he has great affection for Fergie..with ADM in a new league, sometimes struggling, dealing with the issues at home, sometimes just showing that you are there makes the world of difference to a player..

Even sometimes the very best players in the world need that..Its not necessarily because of bad attitude.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The BPL and Ligue 1 are vastly different leagues.

He's now playing with the likes of Zlatan, Cavani, Verratti, Lucas Moura and Matuidi which even the staunchest United fan must admit is an increase in quality around him. Not sure if France is a weak league.. I'd say the best teams are better than our best teams but the weakest teams are worse than ours.
No they're not. Just because PSG and Monaco managed to squeeze through against Chelsea and Arsenal last season doesn't mean they're generally better. It's not like Monaco has gotten better over the summer either.

Wade3

But thats the thing, not all players are the same..Take someone like Ronaldo for example, who seems very strong mentally..but years earlier when he was here , dealing with the difficulties of the league, He needed a shoulder around his arm him too..that is why he has great affection for Fergie..with ADM in a new league, sometimes struggling, dealing with the issues at home, sometimes just showing that you are there makes the world of difference to a player..

Even sometimes the very best players in the world need that..Its not necessarily because of bad attitude.
When Ronaldo came here, he was a young fecker. When di Maria came here, he was a seasoned veteran. A player like him shouldn't need any mental help at this point in his career.

K2K

When Ronaldo came here, he was a young fecker. When di Maria came here, he was a seasoned veteran. A player like him shouldn't need any mental help at this point in his career.
Its not about age, its about the personality of the player..Look at how confident Memphis is at a young age..some players are different, thats why the one size fits all type of management doesnt work with them..

Thats one thing Fergie did well, with other players he was firm , but with those he saw that needed that extra touch with, he almost became a father figure of sorts to them.

IFC 1905

Su alejamiento del Manchester United: "Es difícil adaptarse a Van Gaal. Yo tuve un par de roces con él. Arranqué muy bien y después me lesioné. Las cosas no me salían y el entrenador me cambiaba de posición. El tiene su filosofía y una de las cosas por las que me quise ir del Manchester fue por esa".

"Adapting to Van Gaal is hard. I had a couple deals with him. I started pretty well and then I got injured. Things din't work out and the manager used to change my position. He has his own philosophy and that's one of the reasons I wanted to move from Manchester"

Sam

Su alejamiento del Manchester United: "Es difícil adaptarse a Van Gaal. Yo tuve un par de roces con él. Arranqué muy bien y después me lesioné. Las cosas no me salían y el entrenador me cambiaba de posición. El tiene su filosofía y una de las cosas por las que me quise ir del Manchester fue por esa".

"Adapting to Van Gaal is hard. I had a couple deals with him. I started pretty well and then I got injured. Things din't work out and the manager used to change my position. He has his own philosophy and that's one of the reasons I wanted to move from Manchester"
I said the change of position was a major issue all along. It was as clear as day.

settembrini

I said the change of position was a major issue all along. It was as clear as day.
I said the same.

Di Maria: "I talked with Blanc and his thought is that I should play in a similar position to the one I had at Real Madrid."

If this is true and Blanc gets him back in midfield then PSG could be a good bet for the CL. Di Maria is a sensational midfield playmaker.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

Is anyone surprised?

Wade3

Its not about age, its about the personality of the player..Look at how confident Memphis is at a young age..some players are different, thats why the one size fits all type of management doesnt work with them..

Thats one thing Fergie did well, with other players he was firm , but with those he saw that needed that extra touch with, he almost became a father figure of sorts to them.
Of course it's about age. You either grow up or you don't. Di Maria has reached an age where this sort of treatment shouldn't be necessary any longer, regardless of his character.

United22

He couldn't deal with the PL. Don't care what he does in France.
That's why he had one of the best assist numbers in the PL despite being shit most of the time. He was a coward yes but in the right team he could have flourished

kouroux

Without this special "arm around the shoulder" treatment from SAF to Ronaldo, I wonder how he would have in the 06/07 season where he was outstanding. It was just after the WC in which Rooney was red carded and he was booed in every away stadium.

K2K

Without this special "arm around the shoulder" treatment from SAF to Ronaldo, I wonder how he would have in the 06/07 season where he was outstanding. It was just after the WC in which Rooney was red carded and he was booed in every away stadium.
I really do think he would have left..but dont think he was ready for Madrid and Barca environment and it would have swallowed him up ..He may never have been the player he became..special praise to Quieroz too though, he became like a father too, especially after the death of Cristiano's father.

kouroux

I really do think he would have left..but dont think he was ready for Madrid and Barca environment and it would have swallowed him up ..He may never have been the player he became..special praise to Quieroz too though, he became like a father too, especially after the death of Cristiano's father.
That season he went from good player to superstar. SAF played a huge role, the home crowd was fantastic at OT too. They made him feel loved.

K2K

That season he went from good player to superstar. SAF played a huge role, the home crowd was fantastic at OT too. They made him feel loved.
Thats the thing..that played a huge part..Di Maria had played for Madrid, but he had never been the star anywhere really(Playing with Messi and Ronaldo does that to you), this was all new to him..So even he wasnt a youngster, a hand would have helped imo..Im not blaming anyone, but its one of the reasons why I dont have venomous hate for him.

Boycott

The runt could have at least revealed what the philosophy actually is.

Runt.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
World class player being world class. I am shocked.
Actually not! I really can't wait until LvG is gone and replaced by Klopp!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
feck him. Why are people still so bitter about the club regarding selling ADM? The guy didn't want to be here.

RuudTom83

Imagine Di Maria under Fergie? The freedom and risks he would be able to take?

Van Gaal is like a cock block.
The very same thought crossed my mind so many times, add to that list Herrera too...go out and express yourself boys! :drool:

Love SAF

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
With all that's going on, worth a cheeky bid to see if he fancies a second chance at glory in England?

Bwuk

Di Maria is one of the best playmakers in the world, and we completely wasted him when he was here.

The Philosophy is a load of nonsense. We are awful considering what we've spent.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
He's definitely a coward but the notion he just couldn't cut it in England is ridiculous.

I think to an extent he did have his wings clipped by LVG. If he was really unsettled I doubt having LVG as coach did much for him there, he doesn't exactly seem like the type to put his arm around a player.

goin4glory

The league is garbage and PSG are a pathetic side, St Etienne had won over double the amount of league titles they have before the money showed up. The rest of the league get's bought up by Swansea/Villa/Newcastle.

Di Maria is one of the best playmakers in the world, and we completely wasted him when he was here.

The Philosophy is a load of nonsense. We are awful considering what we've spent.
He is I agree but our spending isn't anywhere as bad as people like to make out.

Bwuk

I suspect it involves not running up blind alleys, fecking up routine passes and constantly flinging yourself on the ground then watching the game going on around you with a gormless expression on your face.
No it's taking zero risks, playing tumescent football for the sake of maintaining possession, and getting beat off Swansea.

Status
Not open for further replies.