5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

He can tackle and can hold his own with the big guys. He is only 18 and will get stronger. I remember Ryan Giggs being introduced and thought this guy will get knocked into the stands. He was like a spider he was so skinny. He played until he was 40

Last edited:

arthurka

I think he is a player we will have to ease into this, keeping Mata for 2 more seasons isn´t a bad idea at all. He looks a huge talent.

King Andow

Should play a good portion, if not all of Lingard's and Mata's minutes this season. Already better than both and the talent + potential is way too high to be wasted on the reserves, I'd say start him in Europa League and in the EFL cup, he'll nail his spot in the bench pretty quickly if we're going with this squad, wouldn't be surprised if he gets to start some games in the league and in the FA Cup by the end of the year.

Mickson

Too bad they blocked the Youtube-video. Was really looking forward to seeing his highlights again. One of the few footballers I would pay to watch.

Raven

I rate Mata and Lingard, but Gomes does look like the real deal. He looks physically, technically and mentally ready for the men's game. Looking forward to seeing him play against the better teams in preseason, I think he'll shine regardless of the quality of opposition.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I rate Mata and Lingard, but Gomes does look like the real deal. He looks physically, technically and mentally ready for the men's game. Looking forward to seeing him play against the better teams in preseason, I think he'll shine regardless of the quality of opposition.
I have nothing against Gomes displacing them and I really like the cut of him. I bolded the bit where he says Mata or Lingard are a shit. What have they done to be compared to shit? Saying somebody is a shite player is fair enough as it means 'poor' but in this case he went too far. Some people should watch their tongue these days.

Raven

I have nothing against Gomes displacing them and I really like the cut of him. I bolded the bit where he says Mata or Lingard are a shit. What have they done to be compared to shit? Saying somebody is a shite player is fair enough as it means 'poor' but in this case he went too far. Some people should watch their tongue these days.
Fair enough. I actually like Lingard, but he is regressing badly at the moment. Think it's the perfect time for Gomes to be breaking through.

Jacob

Some of you are getting waaay ahead of yourselves. He's just a kid with good feet right now. I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it. So far, we've seen nothing to indicate he'll be able to cope with the higher intensity and pace of PL games. Fingers crossed though. I really dislike players like him mind. I get super frustrated when Mata looses the ball due to his size and weakness. Please don't compare with Messi, he's one of a kind.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Fair enough. I actually like Lingard, but he is regressing badly at the moment. Think it's the perfect time for Gomes to be breaking through.
He certainly deserves a chance, be it domestically or in europe. I'd say Greenwood - Gomes - Chong is the order of readiness and our current predicament means all of them should get a game or two, with Greenwood having most of them.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Some of you are getting waaay ahead of yourselves. He's just a kid with good feet right now. I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it. So far, we've seen nothing to indicate he'll be able to cope with the higher intensity and pace of PL games. Fingers crossed though. I really dislike players like him mind. I get super frustrated when Mata looses the ball due to his size and weakness. Please don't mention Messi, he's one of a kind.
So you dislike watching players like David Silva and Messi? These are the best types of player to watch.

Jacob

So you dislike watching players like David Silva and Messi? These are the best types of player to watch.
As I said, Messi is in a league of own. I enjoy good passers with great vision, regardless of size. I dislike players. I enjoy watching Pogba more because he can do both aspects of the game, being physical imposing while having the technique to execute silky passes and moves.

Having said that, Gomes can probably make it but he's fighting a massive uphill battle due to his inability to help the team physically.

Raven

He certainly deserves a chance, be it domestically or in europe. I'd say Greenwood - Gomes - Chong is the order of readiness and our current predicament means all of them should get a game or two, with Greenwood having most of them.
In terms of readiness, I believe Gomes is most ready but that Greenwood is pretty much there as well. I think Chong is another year or two away, but I doubt he'll make it anyway.

Raven

Some of you are getting waaay ahead of yourselves. He's just a kid with good feet right now. I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it. So far, we've seen nothing to indicate he'll be able to cope with the higher intensity and pace of PL games. Fingers crossed though. I really dislike players like him mind. I get super frustrated when Mata looses the ball due to his size and weakness. Please don't compare with Messi, he's one of a kind.
What on earth are you talking about? He went to battle with a very physical Leeds team yesterday and came out on top. As a matter of interest, did you not like Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta or Modric? You know the best CMs of the last 25 years.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Who needs to compare with Messi? He's a teenager and already stronger and faster than Mata. And when you're really good, physique doesn't dictate your ability. Iniesta was slow and could still dribble through an entire team. For a less good example try Cazorla. If he's a better footballer than Mata (which he might be), and/or he's better physically (which he already is), he's got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Handré1990

You what?! :lol:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Will be a good learning curve for him this season. Hopefully we keep a shape that allows Mata played through the middle only - so Mata can potentially grab Gomes under his wing. Both similar in stature and style. hopefully some Europa League action and League Cup mean he gains good experience and maybe contribute more after Christmas.

Jam

Absolutely mental. Bizarre.

Please tell me this is tongue in cheek?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Same here pal, got a mate who smashes up the power league every week! god knows why he isn't playing for United yet.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it.
Take it your friends don't know how and when to use their amazing technique?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I'm just going to go ahead and presume we'll have scouts at Jacob's mates next Sunday League match. This could be a turning point. Fingers crossed.

Jacob

Take it your friends don't know how and when to use their amazing technique?
Excellent deduction, Sir. One of them had trials with Benfica and another played for Rangers youth team at 14 years of age.

Imo, technically gifted players aren't unique. What makes them stand out is the fact that few players can utilise it on a high level and make it work at high intensity and pressure.

Pearson

For a player of his size, he needs to work harder than other giants to survive in PL where physical strength is crucial and has been valued more than ever.

What is more striking about Angel is he is not afraid of his opponents and he dares to challenge those who i would not imagine he has the balls to challenge.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Leeds was about to get promoted. As good as you can get from a bottom team in epl. He will be alright. Will be hot and cold for sometime but we should be fine.

RedCurry

His first touch alone makes me believe in our academy again. Same for Greenwood as well. The foundations are so strong with the two of them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Leeds was about to get promoted. As good as you can get from a bottom team in epl. He will be alright. Will be hot and cold for sometime but we should be fine.
Well yes but a preseason, half complement, unfit, jet lagged Leeds let's not forget. I rate him, just saying.

Classical Mechanic

What is more striking about Angel is he is not afraid of his opponents and he dares to challenge those who i would not imagine he has the balls to challenge.
I think @Jacob is right when he says a big part is mentality at senior level but whenever Gomes plays for us he looks totally confident and game. I think that bodes well.

Thiagoal

All this talk of ‘not being able to help the team physically’ is ridiculous! By such reasoning the Xavi, Iniesta midfield (Barcelonas greatest ever team) would never have been a success!

Teams need a variety of players with different skill sets! We need a midfielder dictating the tempo massively and Gomes is that man

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
All this talk of ‘not being able to help the team physically’ is ridiculous! By such reasoning the Xavi, Iniesta midfield (Barcelonas greatest ever team) would never have been a success!

Teams need a variety of players with different skill sets! We need a midfielder dictating the tempo massively and Gomes is that man
Xavi was 5 foot 7 and was 19 when he started to regularly play in the first team - and 22 by the time he was nailed on as a first choice midfielder
Iniesta was 5 foot 7 and was hardly involved in the first team at 19/20 it was when he was 20/21 that he became a regular
the spanish league is probably less physical than the English league

Gomes is 5 foot 3 and is 18 - I hope he is involved and gets a chance but not only are the Xavi / Iniesta comparisons a bit premature he is younger than either were and smaller than either were in a more physical league - its a big stretch to think hes ready to come in and dictate pl games

Raven

Xavi was 5 foot 7 and was 19 when he started to regularly play in the first team - and 22 by the time he was nailed on as a first choice midfielder
Iniesta was 5 foot 7 and was hardly involved in the first team at 19/20 it was when he was 20/21 that he became a regular

Gomes is 5 foot 3 and is 18 - I hope he is involved and gets a chance but not only are the Xavi / Iniesta comparisons a bit premature he is younger than either were and smaller than either were in a more physical league - its a big stretch to think hes ready to come in and dictate pl games
I think Gomes' versatility will help him in that regard. He can play either wing or anywhere in midfield, he should be getting plenty of time this season.

Kearnkoff69

Gomes is 5 foot 3
I don't disagree with the general sentiment of your post (i.e. that at 18 he isn't ready to come in and boss PL midfields). I am wondering, though, since his height is such a contentious point, where you got this 5 foot 3 measurement from. He's reported at 5'3" on ESPN and Wikipedia, but they're getting those numbers from the squad list of the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Surely it's possible, maybe even probable, that he's grown in the last two years? I don't think he'll ever be even average height, but it is possible he hits Iniesta height some day. I didn't hit a growth spurt until late high school and into college, and my SO even grew another inch (to hit 6 feet) in her second year of college (so 19 or 20).

Grande

Would Messi cut it on a rainy Sunday afternoon in Moston anyway?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't disagree with the general sentiment of your post (i.e. that at 18 he isn't ready to come in and boss PL midfields). I am wondering, though, since his height is such a contentious point, where you got this 5 foot 3 measurement from. He's reported at 5'3" on ESPN and Wikipedia, but they're getting those numbers from the squad list of the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Surely it's possible, maybe even probable, that he's grown in the last two years? I don't think he'll ever be even average height, but it is possible he hits Iniesta height some day. I didn't hit a growth spurt until late high school and into college, and my SO even grew another inch (to hit 6 feet) in her second year of college (so 19 or 20).
yeah I got it from wikipedia - https://www.transfermarkt.com/angel-gomes/profil/spieler/392770 are listing him around 5 foot 5 - he could of course grow further but right now i cant think of many 5 foot 5 - I think Foden isnt much taller but Foden looks more developed / stronger at the moment

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Sites have him between 5 foot 3 and 5 foot 6... I'm thinking hes closer 5 foot 6. But either way. When you're that short, it doesnt make a massive difference since you arent much use from a physical perspective anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.