5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

If anyone expects him to dominate this season or next they need their heads checked. Haven’t seen anyone say that personally, but if we want him to potentially get there, we should absolutely use him this season. He’s better than some of the players we’ve been using for the last couple of years.

Kearnkoff69

yeah I got it from wikipedia - https://www.transfermarkt.com/angel-gomes/profil/spieler/392770 are listing him around 5 foot 5 - he could of course grow further but right now i cant think of many 5 foot 5 - I think Foden isnt much taller but Foden looks more developed / stronger at the moment
Gotcha. Just wondering where people were getting their numbers from. I've seen anywhere from 5'3" to 5'6" touted on the Caf. I agree his height potential tops out at the Iniesta/Xavi range. Foden definitely looks more developed, but it's also clear Angel has been hitting the weights this offseason. Some kids develop a little slower on the physical side - I was on a lifting program for my high school and college teams but didn't start bulking up until I was 20 - and then I had to figure out how to actually retain that mass during the season (I lost 9 pounds during our season in my first year at college because my metabolism was so high and I was running so much). Point being, you're right that we should be realistic about Gomes' chances of making a huge mark this season. But, I am optimistic that he still has serious physical development in front of him and, when that happens, he could start to really look like he belongs in the league.

Eric's Seagull

Can't believe we have let him get into the final year of his contract. Sheer madness. Please sign him up as I fear the circling vultures are ready to swoop soon. Seems ludicrous to have not tied him down yet:houllier:. Anybody know if we are currently in negotiations please. Really hoping we are?:)

joedirt87

why resign with the club if he isn't going to play. get him first team football as the season progresses and I see it happening, otherwise he would be better off going elsewhere on a free. Welcome to Juventus Angel Gomes 2020.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Play him as much as possible to get that contract signed. There is no way I can take losing a talent like him to see it backfire.
why resign with the club if he isn't going to play. get him first team football as the season progresses and I see it happening, otherwise he would be better off going elsewhere on a free. Welcome to Juventus Angel Gomes 2020.
You just know they’ll be sniffing about as well. The most irritating club in Europe at the moment alongside Barca.

Vissy

If we don't get his contract extended I might just stop following the club for a while out of sheer disgust

Eric's Seagull

Really hoping he doesn't leave. We need to give him plenty of minutes this season. Convince him of the project, show him how will be making a significant contribution to it. Show him how much he is appreciated and basically do whatever we can under the sun to get him to sign a new contract. Real star potential and would hate to see him fulfill it at another club. Heard Barca have been circling for a few years and a midfield of Gomes, Arthur and De Jong wouldn't be fair at all in a few years.

In Rainbows

Excellent deduction, Sir. One of them had trials with Benfica and another played for Rangers youth team at 14 years of age.

Imo, technically gifted players aren't unique. What makes them stand out is the fact that few players can utilise it on a high level and make it work at high intensity and pressure.
Not many players have Gomes level of technique. Sure there are countless examples of players at that level of technique that failed to make use of their ability like Mastour. Usually those types of players are incredibly immature on the pitch. Still, they're likely still at good academies and fail at that level. Only player at United on Gomes level of technique in the past decade was Ravel, and Pogba. Lots of players with great technique like Daehli, Petrucci, Pereira, Buffonge, etc... but they were just a slight hair below Gomes.

Gomes is a very smart player though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not many players have Gomes level of technique. Sure there are countless examples of players at that level of technique that failed to make use of their ability like Mastour. Usually those types of players are incredibly immature on the pitch. Still, they're likely still at good academies and fail at that level. Only player at United on Gomes level of technique in the past decade was Ravel, and Pogba. Lots of players with great technique like Daehli, Petrucci, Pereira, Buffonge, etc... but they were just a slight hair below Gomes.

Gomes is a very smart player though.
Januzaj

In Rainbows

Don't think he was quite at Gomes level as big of a Januzaj fan as I am, though I do think he was above Pereira. Think Januzaj was better at controlling the ball coming from the air, but in terms of ball manipulation I rate Gomes higher. Januzaj had a brilliant first touch too like Gomes.

I could be biased thanks to seeing Gomes play at an indoor tournament where he was clearly the standout technical player compared to the entire tournament.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Some of you are getting waaay ahead of yourselves. He's just a kid with good feet right now. I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it. So far, we've seen nothing to indicate he'll be able to cope with the higher intensity and pace of PL games. Fingers crossed though. I really dislike players like him mind. I get super frustrated when Mata looses the ball due to his size and weakness. Please don't compare with Messi, he's one of a kind.
I know exactly what you mean.
There’s this guy in my pub team, he could’ve reached Cristiano Ronaldo’s heights, if only he had a nicer smile.

Bondi77

There really is no substitute for great technique.
All we have to do is switch plates with Lukaku at meal times and the kid will be tearing it up in no time

AKDevil

Some of you are getting waaay ahead of yourselves. He's just a kid with good feet right now. I have mates with similar technique in the Sunday league. What makes the player is how and when they use it. So far, we've seen nothing to indicate he'll be able to cope with the higher intensity and pace of PL games. Fingers crossed though. I really dislike players like him mind. I get super frustrated when Mata looses the ball due to his size and weakness. Please don't compare with Messi, he's one of a kind.
But your mates are playing Sunday league and he’s playing for Man United. There’s a reason for that.

RedCurry

This will raise the stakes in any contract negotiations.
Only if the stakes in your club is controlled by idiots. We as United fans try to hang on to every little detail to justify our club’s incompetence.

Gordon S

As I said, Messi is in a league of own. I enjoy good passers with great vision, regardless of size. I dislike players. I enjoy watching Pogba more because he can do both aspects of the game, being physical imposing while having the technique to execute silky passes and moves.

Having said that, Gomes can probably make it but he's fighting a massive uphill battle due to his inability to help the team physically.
Mata gets pushed over a lot, and thats annoying, but, i can not remember seeing Gomes getting outmuscled once. They are not the same. Gomes is quicker and uses his body much better to protect the ball.

Thiagoal

It’s crazy how people are judging Gomes on a two year old Wikipedia stat and ignoring what their eyes are telling them!

Dan_F

It’s a shame we have too much inexperience in midfield at the moment, I think that might be the reason we re signed Mata (rightly or wrongly). It’s a massive risk starting the season with the players we have currently as we only have Pogba (wants to leave), Matic (old) and Mata (old) with any sort of experience.

Of course if we were to sign another quality midfielder he isn’t going to get any game time, so it’s tricky. Personally I would happily have let Mata go to see if Gomes can play 20 games this year, but I think it’s not going to happen. Unless we’re planning on using Mata on the right...

Litch

Watched the second half against Leeds and showed the potential talent of this lad if played in the right position. Shame as I suspect we might never see it here and there will be a number of clubs especially in Spain where that more technical style of play suits his game better. That said, City must think if could get him next to Fodan and we'll be then sorted for the next decade.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why would Chelsea overpaying in their contract negotiations raise stakes for any other club? It didn’t make sense.
Someone who looks promising as a young player with an expiring contract who has interest from other clubs will point to Hudson Odoi getting 100k a week and that being something he can get elsewhere. It's definitely setting a precedent. A player getting a 100k contract just based off of hype when he's barely played professional level games and is still a kid. 350k for Sanchez was bad, but at least he was a world class player in the past and was supposed to be in his prime. Now youngsters are just getting a wage because of hype and potential.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Someone who looks promising as a young player with an expiring contract who has interest from other clubs will point to Hudson Odoi getting 100k a week and that being something he can get elsewhere. It's definitely setting a precedent. A player getting a 100k contract just based off of hype when he's barely played professional level games and is still a kid. 350k for Sanchez was bad, but at least he was a world class player in the past and was supposed to be in his prime. Now youngsters are just getting a wage because of hype and potential.
It's mainly due to his ability and attraction from Bayern though to be fair. Just because he is young doesn't mean he isn't worth the money.

He's had an England cap and looked good, he's played well in most the matches he's started etc. Losing him for free will end up costing a lot more than just paying him a decent contract now.

Gomes isn't in the same situation YET.

El-Manos

1 year left on his contract? You’d swear we have an abundance of technical players at this club :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Or course it makes sense. You don’t think footballers consider the contracts being offered their peers at other clubs when deciding on a new deal?
Hudson Odoi has played a lot more senior football than Gomes and impressed. He also has Bayern willing to offer a big transfer fee for him and are offering him a big contract to sign for them.

Gomes doesn't have any those dynamics going on at the moment. From his own perspective he'd be better off not signing unless Ole gives him first team chances.

RedCurry

It's mainly due to his ability and attraction from Bayern though to be fair. Just because he is young doesn't mean he isn't worth the money.

He's had an England cap and looked good, he's played well in most the matches he's started etc. Losing him for free will end up costing a lot more than just paying him a decent contract now.

Gomes isn't in the same situation YET.
That is basically it. CHO has attracted genuine interest from one of the giants of world football to a point where they were willing to make multiple concrete bids for him. On the other side, Chelsea just lost Hazard and have a transfer ban. They just cannot afford to lose another attacker. Basically he's in a unique situation and any decent negotiator would point it out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure why people keep flogging this theory about another player’s salary, whether he’s at United or not, ruins negotiations elsewhere.

The only number any club really has to compete with in a negotiation is whatever another club is willing to pay that same player. Or next people will say ‘Gomes won’t sign because Ed gave Sanchez £400k’. So what’s he going to do, refuse our offer and sign for Juve for £400k? They won’t pay him that, and if they would, then that would be the problem for us, not what another player earns.

If Gomes insists he wants parity with CHO, he’s only entitled to if he has other clubs ready to pay him £100k a week. However, if his best alternative offer doesn’t pass £20k a week, he’ll sign with us for £30k, regardless of what his mate’s employer feels they want to offer him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope he gets good minutes against Spurs. Big physical side.

Raven

Bit annoyed he didn't get a minute today, but as you guys say, he'll start against Spurs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Hope he gets good minutes against Spurs. Big physical side.
That'll surely be a good and also relevant test for him. Good planning from the coaches that. It might be a minor thing but so far I like how our management is putting out teams that makes sense for the preseason tour.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really want Ole to give him lot of chances next season but I don’t think it’ll happen before we waste our time on Mata, Pereira & Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.