5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

This thread is hilarious. Good blend of people that watched him for the first time in last few weeks and people that think pre season highlights = consistent premiership output.

The coaches watch him every day and are in a much better position to work him into the team than a random heap of couch potatos on a forum. They will offer him a contract but they won't demolish our youth player wage structure for it. They will give him minutes but they won't just start him as our number 10 in high pressure games at the start of a season. He is only 18.

Raven

This thread is hilarious. Good blend of people that watched him for the first time in last few weeks and people that think pre season highlights = consistent premiership output.

The coaches watch him every day and are in a much better position to work him into the team than a random heap of couch potatos on a forum. They will offer him a contract but they won't demolish our youth player wage structure for it. They will give him minutes but they won't just start him as our number 10 in high pressure games at the start of a season. He is only 18.
You're right. He ain't getting 100 grand. I don't think he's as concerned with money at this stage, I think he wants to play in the first team more than anything. He's making it very difficult for Ole, which is all he can do, now the ball is in Ole's court.

Crashoutcassius

You're right. He ain't getting 100 grand. I don't think he's as concerned with money at this stage, I think he wants to play in the first team more than anything. He's making it very difficult for Ole, which is all he can do, now the ball is in Ole's court.
Agreed. Would love to see him top of the list of subs along with Greenwood and give him 3 or 4 prem starts before Christmas. All he can ask for ... not sure if he thinks he would get a sniff at barce

Raven

Agreed. Would love to see him top of the list of subs along with Greenwood and give him 3 or 4 prem starts before Christmas. All he can ask for ... not sure if he thinks he would get a sniff at barce
Yeah, I don't think this is unrealistic at all.

Eric's Seagull

Its going to be a big few seasons for him but I think as with all youth, we have to be patient. Compare him to Rashy, who broke through and showed glimpses of being world class, to the extent where Barca have been interested and yet he still frustrates at times. I think it will be the same with Gomes and also Greenwood, going to take a few years but the good thing is that we have talented kids who are being given game time, hope Ole has the bravery to play the kids next season.
We need to sign him up to the a contract soon, as it expires next year and I would hate to see him leave on a free.

Fer

Do you consider Gomes to be better on the wings? Or he would be better as No.10?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He should have stayed central instead he was way out on the wings and looking for someone to pass the ball. He should just come short and take the ball.

Very iniesta esque :drool:

IrishRedDevil

You can tell he is over the moon judging by his Instagram story and all the messages he is receiving from fellow youth players.

Really need to get him signed up to a new Contract.

Classical Mechanic

Is he a Manchester lad ?
He is. His dad was a Portuguese u20 world cup winner who ended up playing non-league in England. Gomes was born in London but ended up in Manchester when his dad was with Salford City. His dad stayed in Manchester as a coach at United in the younger age groups so Gomes was brought up in Salford. He's probably the most 'United' lad at the club as he's been around United since being very very young.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is. His dad was a Portuguese u20 world cup winner who ended up playing non-league in England. Gomes was born in London but ended up in Manchester when his dad was with Salford City. His dad stayed in Manchester as a coach at United in the younger age groups so Gomes was brought up in Salford. He's probably the most 'United' lad at the club as he's been around United since being very very young.
Brilliant- cheers mate. That will help !

FromTheBench

You can tell he is over the moon judging by his Instagram story and all the messages he is receiving from fellow youth players.

Really need to get him signed up to a new Contract.
I have little doubt he will sign.

He wants to make it at United. Upto ole to give him some.assurances and sign him.

Gordon S

What do we gain by easing him in slowly? A couple of starts against minions in the cups and a handful of minutes in the prem?

The more minutes he plays next season, the quicker he is gonna learn and grow as a player and the sooner we are going to have an attacking player of really good quality.

And we don't have too many older players killing it at the moment either.

IhabX7

Should at least be a sub in the first league match. His control is second to none in this team, we should definitely have him in our first team plans.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What do we gain by easing him in slowly? A couple of starts against minions in the cups and a handful of minutes in the prem?

The more minutes he plays next season, the quicker he is gonna learn and grow as a player and the sooner we are going to have an attacking player of really good quality.

And we don't have too many older players killing it at the moment either.
It's the same with every youngster, too much too early and they can burn out or crumble under the pressure, or get too complacent, think they've made it etc. Look at Januzaj, quality first season, did feck all after that and according to many sources his training ethic drastically got worse. Was talented as feck but now just some bog standard winger.

The Siege

I know it's just a couple of pre-season friendlies, but I like that he's one of those players who seem to make our team chemistry look better. Not just for the goal, but moves with him in the mix look like they flow very naturally.

Gordon S

It's the same with every youngster, too much too early and they can burn out or crumble under the pressure, or get too complacent, think they've made it etc. Look at Januzaj, quality first season, did feck all after that and according to many sources his training ethic drastically got worse. Was talented as feck but now just some bog standard winger.
So, because of Wilson and Januzaj this club should never give proper chances to young talents from the academy?
Some players have what it takes to make that step up, most of them do not, only one way to find out really.

Moriarty

Then there's Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Rashford, and umpteen others I could name.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
So, because of Wilson and Januzaj this club should never give proper chances to young talents from the academy?
Some players have what it takes to make that step up, most of them do not, only one way to find out really.
It's just that you define "proper chance" differently. Easing youngsters in gradually and ensuring their development is managed is part of the coaching team's job, it's very rare that young players could handle as many games as seasoned professionals, whatever their inherent talent may be.

SteveW

Do you consider Gomes to be better on the wings? Or he would be better as No.10?
Hes not a winger at all. He can play numer 8 or 10. For some reason every first team coach has shunted him out wide. He could be very special as a scheming number 10

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The feck? There's a difference in "easing them in" and not giving them chances. Easing them in is what should happen to every youngster, to a degree. Rooney and Ronaldo didn't start every game at 18. Giggs wasn't a starter for every game for a bit. Scholes didn't play a game for United until he was 19 and was about to turn 20, and in that season he appeared in less than 50% of the total games (and it's not like he played every minute of that 50%). That's called being eased in.
Angel Gomes is 18 years old and has had very, very few minutes of actual professional football. Loads of potential, but absolutely has to be eased in, just like Chong needs to be (1 year older), and Greenwood needs to be (1 year younger). They all have terrific potential, but they're never going to be thrown in with massive roles in their first seasons. It's not "a few minutes against minnows", it's more like mostly sub appearances in the league, random starts in the cups and gradually over the season getting more and more involved. I'd bet that happens with all of the youngsters, just Greenwood perhaps a bit more accelerated and with more starts earlier than the other two.

Raven

Hes not a winger at all. He can play numer 8 or 10. For some reason every first team coach has shunted him out wide. He could be very special as a scheming number 10
He will be an 8 or 10 long term, I have no problem if his first team minutes come from the wing at first. One of the things I like about this lad is that he seems to understand what every position he plays requires.

When he plays on the wing he uses his close control and dribbling ability to ghost past players and create or finish chances himself. When he's playing attacking mid, he's constantly moving using his skills at retaining possession and vision. When he's played as an 8 he can control the tempo of the game and use his excellent range of passing.

The best position for him at the moment is on the pitch, worry about positions later.

SteveW

He will be an 8 or 10 long term, I have no problem if his first team minutes come from the wing at first. One of the things I like about this lad is that he seems to understand what every position he plays requires.

When he plays on the wing he uses his close control and dribbling ability to ghost past players and create or finish chances himself. When he's playing attacking mid, he's constantly moving using his skills at retaining possession and vision. When he's played as an 8 he can control the tempo of the game and use his excellent range of passing.

The best position for him at the moment is on the pitch, worry about positions later.
Cant argue with that. The kid needs to play

Raven

Cant argue with that. The kid needs to play
It seems that the 10 is being left open for him with Mata signing a contract and the noise about Bruno quieting down. I think the promotion of Nicky Butt is going to be massive for players like Gomes and Greenwood.

Alemar

It's not "a few minutes against minnows", it's more like mostly sub appearances in the league, random starts in the cups and gradually over the season getting more and more involved.
Please explain why we can't use him as a starter at the RW/RF now if he already plays better than our other alternatives in this position. Yes he is 17, but even if he doesn't deliver a great game, we have been playing without the right flank for many a season already. Of course he needs rest so it shouldn't be a start after a start, but let's say every second official game (if he performs).

Jadon Sancho could have been "eased in" City squad for several years, instead he is already a 100m+ attacker at 19, and Greenwood is what, 1.5 years younger? About time to start playing then

The same question about Gomes - why not to play him if he performs better than, say, Lingard?

SteveW

It seems that the 10 is being left open for him with Mata signing a contract and the noise about Bruno quieting down. I think the promotion of Nicky Butt is going to be massive for players like Gomes and Greenwood.
I'm very hopeful. We have so many quick forwards. We just need a crafty little fecker like Gomes to play them in on goal. His ability to slip little passes into strikers is exceptional. It's a match made in heaven.

Raven

I'm very hopeful. We have so many quick forwards. We just need a crafty little fecker like Gomes to play them in on goal. His ability to slip little passes into strikers is exceptional. It's a match made in heaven.
The thought of Pogba and Gomes in the middle is :drool:

Zlatattack

What a cracking goal. We have a proper player on our hands.

This season he should be starting every game in the league Cup and Europa league, as well as 10 easy Premier league games.

The same applies for Taunzebe and Greenwood.

Crashoutcassius

Please explain why we can't use him as a starter at the RW/RF now if he already plays better than our other alternatives in this position. Yes he is 17, but even if he doesn't deliver a great game, we have been playing without the right flank for many a season already. Of course he needs rest so it shouldn't be a start after a start, but let's say every second official game (if he performs).

Jadon Sancho could have been "eased in" City squad for several years, instead he is already a 100m+ attacker at 19, and Greenwood is what, 1.5 years younger? About time to start playing then

The same question about Gomes - why not to play him if he performs better than, say, Lingard?
I guess if you think we have been playing 'without a right flank for years' then it's going to be hard to convince you not to play him RW

In Rainbows

The thought of Pogba and Gomes in the middle is :drool:
That's been my dream the last 2 years. Gomes, unlike Pogba is happy to be a constant passing force in deeper areas should he be started there. Pogba has all the tools to do that job, but likes to get forward. As a number 8 teetering as a 10, Pogba is at home. Gomes is very flexible and can play all across the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.