5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

That's been my dream the last 2 years. Gomes, unlike Pogba is happy to be a constant passing force in deeper areas should he be started there. Pogba has all the tools to do that job, but likes to get forward. As a number 8 teetering as a 10, Pogba is at home. Gomes is very flexible and can play all across the midfield.
A midfield of Gomes, Pogba and McTerminator is the dream, for me, at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Delighted that he's doing so well. Now I hope this forces Ole to push him up the pecking order in the proper season, which also coincides with him signing a new contract.

jackal&hyde

Impressive again.

His technique is one of the best in the squad.
I'll go as far as to say he's one of the most gifted players i've ever seen at that age. Immaculate ball control and already very good understanding of the game.

Can you guys imagine that we could realistically have Tuanzebe, Mctominay, Pogba, Gomes, Rashford, Greenwood in the first 11 and be a very competitive team in 1-2 years? 6 academy graduates, when's that last time we had so much talent coming from within?

Just please sign the contract Angel.

NoPace

It seems that the 10 is being left open for him with Mata signing a contract and the noise about Bruno quieting down. I think the promotion of Nicky Butt is going to be massive for players like Gomes and Greenwood.
It just feels like we never do anything logical as simply as possible.

Is there a person here that wouldn't be more excited with us having let Mata go, sold Lingard to some mid-table Prem side with more money than sense, bought a #10 - whether that's Bruno or another talented player ready to produce day 1 - and made Gomez his backup which would give him a healthy number of games both there and out wide, along with sub appearances?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It just feels like we never do anything logical as simply as possible.

Is there a person here that wouldn't be more excited with us having let Mata go, sold Lingard to some mid-table Prem side with more money than sense, bought a #10 - whether that's Bruno or another talented player ready to produce day 1 - and made Gomez his backup which would give him a healthy number of games both there and out wide, along with sub appearances?
Think Mata's new contract is deserved, when he plays as a 10, he always creates things, and always pops up with a goal or two. I think Gomes is the natural successor to Mata in that position, and can see Gomes making that spot his own by the end of the season. Think Ole will pick and choose his games, as he is still a young man, and has a couple of years or so to develop more physically, like Greenwood and Garner, but can see him making 20-25 appearances this season, hopefully in his best position, but if not, then I think he will still make an impact during a match.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I am all for giving them some serious game time. Time to change things and bench the senior players who dont perform anymore. Gomes seems to be ready imo.
However, I am not sure if Ole really has the balls to do so and I would not be surprised if he starts Lingard or Mata

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He won't be in the 18 man squad for most match days. We really need to get rid of some players.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He won't be in the 18 man squad for most match days. We really need to get rid of some players.
De Gea
Romero

AWB
Lindelof
CB No 1
Shaw
CB No 2
Young

Pogba
McTominay
Matic
Andreas

Rashford
Martial
Lukaku/Replacement
Lingard
Mata

You may be right, 1 spot left on the bench. Hopefully they'd be filled week in week out by Greenwood or Gomes but quite conceivably they'd get filled by a Rojo, Darmian or Smalling/Jones instead :(

In Rainbows

Go with the LVG strategy in trimming the squad and having more youth players be replacements. Except instead of having McNair, Blackett, and Love, we have Gomes, Garner, Axel, and Chong.

DoomSlayer

Go with the LVG strategy in trimming the squad and having more youth players be replacements. Except instead of having McNair, Blackett, and Love, we have Gomes, Garner, Axel, and Chong.
Don't forget Greenwood. We have an incredible bunch of young players if we add AWB, Shaw, Rashford, McTominay, Martial, Dalot and James.

In Rainbows

Don't forget Greenwood. We have an incredible bunch of young players if we add AWB, Shaw, Rashford, McTominay, Martial, Dalot and James.
I didn't include Greenwood because Ole seems to really fancy him. He's like the one kid I'm confident will get playing time under Ole.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
De Gea
Romero

AWB
Lindelof
CB No 1
Shaw
CB No 2
Young

Pogba
McTominay
Matic
Andreas

Rashford
Martial
Lukaku/Replacement
Lingard
Mata

You may be right, 1 spot left on the bench. Hopefully they'd be filled week in week out by Greenwood or Gomes but quite conceivably they'd get filled by a Rojo, Darmian or Smalling/Jones instead :(
Will be highly unlikely all those players are fit at the same time, so additional space should open up.

NWRed

De Gea
Romero

AWB
Lindelof
CB No 1
Shaw
CB No 2
Young

Pogba
McTominay
Matic
Andreas

Rashford
Martial
Lukaku/Replacement
Lingard
Mata

Sanchez?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I know it's just a couple of pre-season friendlies, but I like that he's one of those players who seem to make our team chemistry look better. Not just for the goal, but moves with him in the mix look like they flow very naturally.
Yep, it's one of the things I really like about both Gomes and Greenwood. Not only are they individually talented, but both seem to combine well with others and make things run smoothly around them.

IrishRedDevil

At least young, youthful Lingard is getting plenty of minutes. Always good to use preseason to see what a player can do.

Classical Mechanic

You wonder if him getting less minutes than other youngsters is a response to his prevarication over the contract he’s been offered? Bit of a dangerous game though.
Ole made a comment about his size at the end of last season, said he was 'physically lacking' IIRC I think that is a concern of his. Gomes was supposedly upset about this.

KW2006

I am afraid he will become a problem to Ole just as Martial to Mourinho. Seems everybody(incl me) rate him very highly but the manager are reluctant to play him due to unknown reasons.

Kostov

I am afraid he will become a problem to Ole just as Martial to Mourinho. Seems everybody(incl me) rate him very highly but the manager are reluctant to play him due to unknown reasons.
There is no logical explanation of playing someone as shit as Lingard while this kid is in need of game time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You wonder if him getting less minutes than other youngsters is a response to his prevarication over the contract he’s been offered? Bit of a dangerous game though.
Definitely think it's a size thing. Hes a year older than Greenwood but he is tiny tbf. He'll have some chances but I definitely think he'll have a slower introduction, you just have to hope that he's patient enough to get his chances here. We'll see how the season goes, I think Gomes also wants to see how the season goes instead of signing an extension right away.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Are you being serious?

As of right now Lingard is clearly a better player.
And Lingard's going to need the match sharpness more than Gomes considering our first match of the campaign is edging closer.

Kostov

Are you being serious?

As of right now Lingard is clearly a better player.
Based on fecking what? Instagram followers or because SAF said something back in 1996 when he was 4 year old? He clearly isn't a better player than any attacker/midfielder we have. As a matter of though, he probably is the worst attacker/midfielder we have.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Based on fecking what? Instagram followers or because SAF said something back in 1996 when he was 4 year old? He clearly isn't a better player than any attacker/midfielder we have. As a matter of though, he probably is the worst attacker/midfielder we have.
Oh fair enough.

Out of interest, why is he a regular for United and england under multiple managers?

R'hllor

This whole thing giving me Pogba vibe, some pricks will turn his head and get him on free. This preseason some showed way less than him but got more minutes, seems we are doing certain shit on a loop.

mu4c_20le

Because he's older and more experienced? It doesn't work that way.
Gomes only has a couple hours of experience in the PL. I'd like to see more of him in preseason but its a bit much to expect him to dislodge Lingard over a few decent preseason performances.

3KDré

He's a lot better than Mata, Pereira and Lingard at unlocking a tight defence he should have been used today.

Status
Not open for further replies.