Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Play him and give him a big new contract. If we had a host of established quality players keeping him out of the team that would be one thing but we don't. He needs minutes to show us what he can do against better opposition.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has worked incredibly hard this summer and is eager to impress. He'll definitely sign a contract and jump ahead of Mata and Lingard when he does. Never seen him play with such tenacity and aggression, he has probably been told to work on it and it makes a lot of sense for him to do so. All of the smaller most successful midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Verratti etc. become better when they added that. A player like Mata who couldn't do it suffered from it, and continued to be disregarded in their national team despite being technically on par with the best.

Sign Gomes on and I'm not that bothered honestly about getting a lot of midfielders in this window.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It really hope it’s not gradual at all.
It will be, though. That's the way these things work. For every single young player, bar a tiny handful of the best players ever to play the game. When Raheem Sterling was at the same age/point in his career, he had just made 3 league appearances for Liverpool (exact same number as Gomes right now). He made 24 appearances in the league the following season, so hopefully Gomes' career will follow the same trajectory.

Nick7

It will be, though. That's the way these things work. For every single young player, bar a tiny handful of the best players ever to play the game. When Raheem Sterling was at the same age/point in his career, he had just made 3 league appearances for Liverpool (exact same number as Gomes right now). He made 24 appearances in the league the following season, so hopefully Gomes' career will follow the same trajectory.
Yep. I could see Gomes getting 25 or so games this season. Hopefully a new contract as well.

Shinjch

Hope we get him plenty of game time and don't run the risk of losing him. He is a player who should firmly be in the clubs first team plans.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why I wanted Mata gone. Why should they be sharing minutes? Imagine we lose this kid?

romufc

Angel should already have had his contract renewed. Its incredible to think within six months he will be able to openly negotiate with other teams.
No, it is not how things are done at United. He is too young and talented to have a new contract.

To earn a contract you need to be either be in the twilights years, no team wants you, and make consistent mistakes for Manutd.

Weird how Mata can get a new contract sorted over the summber but not Gomes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
No, it is not how things are done at United. He is too young and talented to have a new contract.

To earn a contract you need to be either be in the twilights years, no team wants you, and make consistent mistakes for Manutd.

Weird how Mata can get a new contract sorted over the summber but not Gomes.
What an idiotic post.

podurban2

Ok well Mata had 22 appearances in the league last season. So if Gomes is to even come close to Sterling’s 24 he needs to replace Mata in the first team pretty quickly, otherwise we are looking at 10 appearances tops.

Last edited:

romufc

What an idiotic post.

I take it you can explain why Martial, Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Perreira all given contracts with bumper wages but Gomes hasnt? Herrera didnt get one. Are we waiting for Sept/ Nov after he has had a handful of good games and give him £150k a week? when you can give him assurances and signed up for cheaper now?

Icemav

Lingard should be feeling the heat from this kid. Lingard is 27 and should be a senior player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I take it you can explain why Martial, Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Perreira all given contracts with bumper wages but Gomes hasnt? Herrera didnt get one. Are we waiting for Sept/ Nov after he has had a handful of good games and give him £150k a week? when you can give him assurances and signed up for cheaper now?
Gomes was offered a contract. The rest of your post is just gormless whataboutery.

Gandalf

Herrera turned down a contract offer. Sure, we should have extended him sooner but we made several good offers to him last season but he had decided to go and never seriously wanted to negotiate. For the other players you have mentioned, they all have been part of the first team for at least a season or more, Gomes has not. If you want a comparison then look at McTominay, he broke through last year and got a new deal within weeks. If Gomes is featuring in match day squads over the next few months I guarantee he will have a new deal on the table before Christmas.

passing-wind

Gomes was offered a contract. The rest of your post is just gormless whataboutery.
The fact stands that Mata should not have been offered a new contract at this club. What purpose does mata fulfill aside taking up the position of another tougher talent who's going to be delayed a breakthrough.

You would have thought this club would learn from the Pogba / Rafael / Scholes situation. Terrible decisions being made and mismanagement.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The fact stands that Mata should not have been offered a new contract at this club. What purpose does mata fulfill aside taking up the position of another tougher talent who's going to be delayed a breakthrough.

You would have thought this club would learn from the Pogba / Rafael / Scholes situation. Terrible decisions being made and mismanagement.
What are you on about? It’s not a fact. It’s an opinion.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very good. He can receive pass anywhere and still can retain possession. Some of his passes were brilliant, like the one to young. He has quick feet, passing is very good and also presses well. He should play this season. We need technical wizards like him in the team.

romufc

Herrera turned down a contract offer. Sure, we should have extended him sooner but we made several good offers to him last season but he had decided to go and never seriously wanted to negotiate. For the other players you have mentioned, they all have been part of the first team for at least a season or more, Gomes has not. If you want a comparison then look at McTominay, he broke through last year and got a new deal within weeks. If Gomes is featuring in match day squads over the next few months I guarantee he will have a new deal on the table before Christmas.

I get that, but Herrera came out and said Utd offer was way too late, after he had agree to go PSG.
As things stand with Gomes, it could get tricky. If Ole gives him the game time he wants and does really well come Novermber December, other clubs will be after him which means it will be a wage bidding war.

Just seems alot similar to when Martial renewed or going back when Janujaz signed a bumper contract with his agent flirting with PSG and the lot.

MrBest

Did not watch the game, but excited by the comments on here. I have had faith in Gomes for a few years, so much speculation abiut his height but he is incredibly talented on the ball, he will have to deal with hiw physical england is (which I am sure he knows). He is also Nani cousin so football runs in the family. Hopefully he can realise that potential better.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has worked incredibly hard this summer and is eager to impress. He'll definitely sign a contract and jump ahead of Mata and Lingard when he does. Never seen him play with such tenacity and aggression, he has probably been told to work on it and it makes a lot of sense for him to do so. All of the smaller most successful midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Verratti etc. become better when they added that. A player like Mata who couldn't do it suffered from it, and continued to be disregarded in their national team despite being technically on par with the best.

Sign Gomes on and I'm not that bothered honestly about getting a lot of midfielders in this window.
I noticed that too, seems desperate to get involved. Coasting a little bit in games was a small criticism I had of him the youth teams.

Rajma

Why I wanted Mata gone. Why should they be sharing minutes? Imagine we lose this kid?
Because this club can be really dumb, I sincerely hope Ole knows what he was doing with that extension as it would be a real kick in the guts to lose this kid as a result.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I noticed that too, seems desperate to get involved. Coasting a little bit in games was a small criticism I had of him the youth teams.
Me too, so I was very happy to see that. Makes me all the more confident in him making it here.

passing-wind

What are you on about? It’s not a fact. It’s an opinion.
Based on the foundations of facts, if you don't give bright prospects chances they will leave exemplified with the recent escapades of Sancho and Hudson-Odoi facts. It's a fact we lost Pogba because we played fullbacks in his position and an ageing player. It's a fact that history will repeat itself under these circumstances if Gomes doesn't get game time, he will leave for the development of his career. If Mata occupies the same position that Gomes will play under Solskjaers system, then it's a fact he will restrict his opportunities.

The consequence is Gomes will leave, if anyone can give any insightful argument to Mata being here for further seasons aside making up the numbers then im all ears.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Was my MOTM.

Work ethic. Pace. Passing. Tackling.

Amazing in that half.

meamth

You talk as if the management isn't trying at all.
What do you know? No one knows.

Raven

I think he'll sign as long as he feels valued. He's been here since he was 6.

Fer

If we sign Fernades, I hope Gomes is used as his cover for the CAM position. Unfortunately, I think that player is going to be Mata and even Lingard. We could lose Gomes if he doesn't get a proper chance in the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.