5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relfy

Really hoping he will make it here. I'm not entering the arguments over his height, because his ability should overcome any questions on how tall he is. Hope that this season he can get plenty of minutes.

Grande

To move this thread away from his height i will ask a question. What is his natural position and where will he play?
Left wing is full of options, he is not right winger as i know so no10 then? Backup for Pogba?
That is why i was against buying James because he will take minutes to Gomes and Greenwood
Very sensible topic move. I was qurious to see the Perth games in terms of the questions ‘who woud play LF/RF?’, ‘will there be a no 10 role?’ and ‘where will Gomes get game time.

Surprise number one was that neither Rashford nor Martial played LF, number two was that neither James, Lingard nor Mata played RF, number three was that, playing with a number ten, Gomes did not get game time neither there or as an 8.

I assumed Solskjær would want to start in his preferred set up, which I think we did, and that players would get one half each in positions they are candidates for.

If we are to play 4-2-3-1 with Lingard and Mata as prime candidates for the number 10 position so far, I think we are targetting a new player for that role, and I hope Gomes also can get game time there.

I’m not certain, though, because he so far does seem a bit like Martial in that he is not proactive enough in his head in terms of making runs and picking up options before he received the ball. He seems to wait until getting it, and then looking for options. Hopefully it’s a question of confidence, if not it’s the 8 role that would seem more relevant to him than a LF/RF role.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Of he's 5 6 and not 5 3 ny more then that isn't even note worthy.

On another note, could any side in history of prem play a front 6 with as much academy talent as us today ? Pogba garner gomes rashford lingard Greenwood. I can't think of many. I think all 6 will play together at some point
McTominay will be more likely to play than Garner, for the foreseeable future at least.

Mickson

Very sensible topic move. I was qurious to see the Perth games in terms of the questions ‘who woud play LF/RF?’, ‘will there be a no 10 role?’ and ‘where will Gomes get game time.

Surprise number one was that neither Rashford nor Martial played LF, number two was that neither James, Lingard nor Mata played RF, number three was that, playing with a number ten, Gomes did not get game time neither there or as an 8.

I assumed Solskjær would want to start in his preferred set up, which I think we did, and that players would get one half each in positions they are candidates for.

If we are to play 4-2-3-1 with Lingard and Mata as prime candidates for the number 10 position so far, I think we are targetting a new player for that role, and I hope Gomes also can get game time there.

I’m not certain, though, because he so far does seem a bit like Martial in that he is not proactive enough in his head in terms of making runs and picking up options before he received the ball. He seems to wait until getting it, and then looking for options. Hopefully it’s a question of confidence, if not it’s the 8 role that would seem more relevant to him than a LF/RF role.
Gomes is not going to produce a lot of points and especially not goals. I have compared him earlier to Iniesta (only playing style..) and I think that is where he will flourish, some advanced midfield role. Like Pogba last season maybe. But Gomes is very good in a deeper position as well, he's so good with the ball and can keep it all day a bit like Scholes. He's underrated in his tackling and ball-winning skills also even though that's obviously not his strengths.

AltiUn

Gomes is not going to produce a lot of points and especially not goals. I have compared him earlier to Iniesta (only playing style..) and I think that is where he will flourish, some advanced midfield role. Like Pogba last season maybe. But Gomes is very good in a deeper position as well, he's so good with the ball and can keep it all day a bit like Scholes. He's underrated in his tackling and ball-winning skills also even though that's obviously not his strengths.
I'd say the best way to describe Gomes as a play maker is that he's the one who'll assist the assister, if that makes any sense. Initially I wasn't so sure about playing Gomes deeper but his skill set really lends itself to that position. Iniesta's a really good comparison to be honest, even their dribbling style is very similar.

lysglimt

Scout
I really like him as a cm. Quick feet, quick passing, creative, stellar first touch and is actually fairly strong in the tackle. Think he might have more to his game than most of our current cm’s.
If I were you, I would be careful using the abbreviation CM for central midfielder in a thread where we are discussing how tall Angel Gomes is :) Could end up being funny that one…

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think he's a natural 10. Think he's one of these hybrids between 8 and 10. Like Inisesta or Silva. Don't think he's ever going to be a player that does his work close to goal.

Mickson

I'd say the best way to describe Gomes as a play maker is that he's the one who'll assist the assister, if that makes any sense. Initially I wasn't so sure about playing Gomes deeper but his skill set really lends itself to that position. Iniesta's a really good comparison to be honest, even their dribbling style is very similar.
Yep. I'm not sure about this but my feeling is that Iniesta didn't produce that many points during a season if you have in mind how superior Barcelona was during that time. But yes, he can play in several positions in midfield which is great but I don't ever see him as a second striker or something like that. I'd really like to see him get more chances though.

In theory:
Martial, Rashford, James
Gomes - Fred
Matic

something like that is probably his position.

Crashoutcassius

McTominay will be more likely to play than Garner, for the foreseeable future at least.
Yeah I had mctom written down but I think garner is considered sexier at the moment... I actually think the 3 could be a well balanced midfield if garner is the type of deep lying play maker that he looks to me.

Grande

Although it was ‘merely’ against Perth-players in their preseason and getting tired in the second half, I was impressed with his defensive work both in defensive work rate, ball winning ability and strength in duels. Also with ability to create without the ball not looking his main asset, it makes sense for him to be more in a 8 position. I do have doubts he is ready for a) replacing Pogba or b) playing in a central midfield with Pogba. So maybe that’s why he is blooded slowly and in a surprising position.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't think he's a natural 10. Think he's one of these hybrids between 8 and 10. Like Inisesta or Silva. Don't think he's ever going to be a player that does his work close to goal.
Yeah I agree with this. I just don't think we have the players in the other midfield positions to support him.
He's not going to be much help on defence is he, so we need someone who focuses primarily on the defensive side of the game to provide balance in midfield.

Iniesta had Busquets, Silva has Fernandinho we have... a creaky & slow Matic.

Kearnkoff69

His technical ability is fantastic. Even though it was just Perth, we need him to be impressive this pre-season to give the coaching staff reason to push Ole to give him chances this year. Watching him in the youth sides, one of his greatest strengths is his vision and football IQ - he sees all the passing lanes and knows exactly how to draw the defense in and then release the pass at the right moment. The game looks like it slows down for him in a way that it doesn't for someone like Rashford, for example, who is still learning that raw pace alone cannot always be the answer. The only way for Gomes to continue developing that skill is to get game time against more athletic and more wily defenders who will challenge him by closing down space quicker and putting more physical pressure on him. I hope he is the first option off the bench this year when subbing for CM or wing positions.

AltiUn

Yeah I had mctom written down but I think garner is considered sexier at the moment... I actually think the 3 could be a well balanced midfield if garner is the type of deep lying play maker that he looks to me.
I mean, in theory it could actually be. Pogba keeping his current role, McTominay playing Herrera's old role (which I think he did very well last season) and Garner in the deeper role that Matic plays. We'll need to see how Garner adapts to first team football, I personally still think he's at the very least a season or two away, and he plays in a position that's very demanding at first team level. It's hard not to get a little bit excited though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
“Everything that you saw in the game is what we’ve been practising,” said the 18-year-old.
“We've been working hard, trying to get the front-foot press and trying to create and score as many goals as possible.

”We've got very quick, direct and pacy players and we tried to press, stay high, get everyone locked up. We did that so we could create more chances, win the ball up higher and try to dominate the game.“
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/angel-gomes-reflects-on-man-utd-2-perth-glory-0

Remember the geese

A lot of talk on here about him being an Iniesta/Silva type of player, which I understand. However, does anyone see him as more of a Xavi or Scholes? I know that he has played deeper in the under 19's and 23's. I think he has all the talent in the world and can potentially see him dictating games from a deeper position. Though that may be something for much further down the line, or not at all.

KW2006

He is so good that he would be able to play for Man City this season. Actually I think he is more talented than Foden.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He is so good that he would be able to play for Man City this season. Actually I think he is more talented than Foden.
Really? Foden himself despite his quality may well continue to struggle to get into the City first team. No shame in that given it's Aguero who is ahead of him. Obviously it still be nice if Gomes turned out to be that good.

AltiUn

Really? Foden himself despite his quality may well continue to struggle to get into the City first team. No shame in that given it's Aguero who is ahead of him. Obviously it still be nice if Gomes turned out to be that good.
There wasn't a lot separating Gomes, Foden and Sancho when they were younger, it's honestly about time we started giving him the same opportunities to impress.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They don't play in same position.

KW2006

Equally important is that he suits Man City(Pep)'s style naturally.

Classical Mechanic

There's Marcus Edwards who is a similar midget, he's done OK in the senior game in Holland this season and Gomes is a totally different personality, for the better.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Explain to me how it would negatively affect his game taking into account how he played. I have no problem understanding something if it's told to me. It's not enough to just say it just does.
Alright I will. As a footy player you take advantage of your build. If you're a big defender like victor valdes or a midfield destroyer, you rely on strength but shorter players can be faster than you.

If you're say 5'6 you have strength but it wont bother someone like Scholes since they can hold their own as well. Now the other part is diminishing returns. You will often see a defender that is say 6'4 but what do you think is the reason you don't see 6'6 or 6'7 footy players on the regular? After a certain point the center of gravity is too high and you lose the ability to channel your strength.

Same for the lower end of the spectrum. Yes shorter players have a lot of advantage but after a certain point you just lose too much weight/strength to be as affective. You would have to be an absolute magician -- and even then Maradona was 5'5 not 5'3.

So like I said I think Angel isn't 5'3 but if he was it would be a concern. If my explanation doesn't make sense just look around and see which players at that height have made it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There's Marcus Edwards who is a similar midget, he's done OK in the senior game in Holland this season and Gomes is a totally different personality, for the better.

Height isn't important as long as you're quick and have good balance/core strength. Hazard/Messi are prime examples.

In a world of giants being smaller may actually be an advantage, their point of gravity is completely different and can't fully lean on a player without fouling them. It probably explains why Kante wins plenty of duels also despite being so small.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm sure a lot in here would have thought Messi wouldnt make it due to his height... as if it would matter

In Rainbows

Alright I will. As a footy player you take advantage of your build. If you're a big defender like victor valdes or a midfield destroyer, you rely on strength but shorter players can be faster than you.

If you're say 5'6 you have strength but it wont bother someone like Scholes since they can hold their own as well. Now the other part is diminishing returns. You will often see a defender that is say 6'4 but what do you think is the reason you don't see 6'6 or 6'7 footy players on the regular? After a certain point the center of gravity is too high and you lose the ability to channel your strength.

Same for the lower end of the spectrum. Yes shorter players have a lot of advantage but after a certain point you just lose too much weight/strength to be as affective. You would have to be an absolute magician -- and even then Maradona was 5'5 not 5'3.

So like I said I think Angel isn't 5'3 but if he was it would be a concern. If my explanation doesn't make sense just look around and see which players at that height have made it.
You only explained in a general sense. I was asking for how an extra 4 inches gave Scholes an advantage. Scholes' game was all about not letting the defender get a sniff and he did that by having a great first touch, quick mind to 1 touch pass when needed, great sense in detecting incoming defenders, and he had great technique.

Now it's different when I speak of Pogba because Pogba likes to use his physical dominance to hold players off and slip by them with great technique.

Gomes doesn't play in that manner. He plays more like Scholes. So him getting an extra few inches wouldn't change anything in regards to his current playstyle. A couple of inches might have changed his playstyle, but that's another argument as that theoretical Gomes doesn't exist.

So I don't see how it negatively impacts him as of right now.

jb8521

I don't know why people are so worried about his size. He's always been the smallest player in his own age level yet has always played above his age group & more often than not looked the most talented player on the pitch despite getting far less protection from referees in underage football than he'd get at senior level. He was playing against 18 year olds many of which were fully grown men at 14. Football isn't the way it used to be & he has the balance & ability to protect the ball to beat players & win free kicks. As long as we're not expecting him to play in defence or mark tall players at corners his size shouldn't be anywhere near as big of an issue as people are making out.

Adamsk7

I’m not worried about his size, I’m worried that he has less than a year on his contract!

DoomSlayer

Steven Howson and McKola from FTD were present at today's training session, Howson said Gomes and Lingard are the best suited players for a front-foot aggressive pressing style, surprisingly.

Also, they confirmed that Rojo is the maddest guy in training in two-footed the likes of Lingard and Matic. :lol:

M16Red

Despite Messi coming in behind Rio and O’Shea watching him ?? Rio has to be where he is, not sure where Vidic is but O’Shea can see the danger. Only needs to go with Messi.

The fact we had O’Shea playing in that game means we didn’t deserve to win.
We had no midfield if i remember correctly, I was hammered.. which made me forget it actually happened.

Adam-Utd

I’m not worried about his size, I’m worried that he has less than a year on his contract!
Did he not resign a while ago when he was linked with Barca? surely that isn't up already?

Adam-Utd

That was 2 years ago. 1 year left
Ah that is worrying, no 1+ option? we usually do that?

I hope we start to play him more often, he looked good from the LW but I'd prefer to see him as the AMC infront of Pogba/Mctominay

izec

Ah that is worrying, no 1+ option? we usually do that?

I hope we start to play him more often, he looked good from the LW but I'd prefer to see him as the AMC infront of Pogba/Mctominay
The issue is if he doesn't break through this season, clubs will be lining up for him in the summer. We may activate the one year option, but if he decided to leave next year, he is free to sign for whoever he wants half a year later

The one year option for me is more to sell players you dont want rather than useful for players you want to keep at all costs, as seen in the past by us.

I hope he gets game time, he will take his chances, Ole needs to be bold snd show some faith instead of giving the same underperforming guys playing time

Status
Not open for further replies.