5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

Well, with all the chatter about us getting a no 10 , or Pogba getting back, i guess he sees the writing on the wall.

If he isnt playing Colchester he is for sure a goner.

I guess he was so hyped after preseason that it might have gotten to him in the few games he got, but he should have gotten more chances.

I just hope that we get a buyback clause or a loan , but guess that is out of our hands as his contract is running out?
yes, you cant loan him out or have a say in his contract, he is free to agree a move from January and will be at a new club in July. He has not signed by now, he wont sign it then. He probably waited to see how the start of the season goes and decided to move on after the lack of chances. Cant blame him.

kidbob

I stand by my original thoughts, I think he made it clear early on in the season that he had no interest in renewing and that's why he's not been given any opportunities, I have a nasty feeling someone turned his head after the pre-season tour.
You may be onto something but my main problem with that is what 'very attractive' club could offer him a spot right now? Dortmund could find space for Sancho but I honestly can't think of a club of that stature that could offer the same to Angel. Have you any in mind? I honestly think he's seen the poor performances of those ahead of him this season and gotten pissed off. The lads a United fan and he must have the same concerns we do about Lingard, Mata and Andreas.

For what it's worth if he does leave then he should go to a mid table Dutch side for a couple of years. He shouldn't aim too high. We should have handled his development like Real have for Odegaard.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
It's absolutely his loss if he decides not to renew. Has done nothing in football and he won't get a better opportunity to develop in England than Manchester United.

soapythecat

I don’t Follow him, or other United players, on social media but did he not do this last season as well? I think I remember a similar stunt mentioned.
Anyway, I’m sure there is a reason for his lack of game time and I totally trust Ole on the way he is bringing some youth into the first team this season.
Gomes looks a real talent at times but I think he gets over hyped on here. That said, he should be offered a new contract but if he doesn’t want to sign it, what can we do about it?
Can see him flourishing in Spain or Germany.

Roboc7

It's absolutely his loss if he decides not to renew. Has done nothing in football and he won't get a better opportunity to develop in England than Manchester United.
He’s not early developing here so who could blame him for moving on. It might be a good move it might not but he’s at an age where he needs to start playing pretty soon.

Kostov

The kid should have gotten more minutes, minutes we have wasted on Lingard, Pereira and Mata. Very stupid, but that’s what you get for awarding mediocrity.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm pretty sure a lot of people have got this the wrong way round. I don't think he's leaving due to not getting game time.

I think he's made it clear to the club he isn't signing a new contract so therefore he's been left out.
He's a Man Utd fan who came up through the ranks. It's very unlikely he would leave if he felt he was going to get a decent amount of gametime.

Of course, the key words I said there is 'decent amount'. If he had signed he may have got one or two more games than what he has, but it obviously wasn't going to be enough for what he wanted. So he's going to leave, and because he's going to leave Ole has left him out entirely.

ArjenIsM3

The kid should have gotten more minutes, minutes we have wasted on Lingard, Pereira and Mata. Very stupid, but that’s what you get for awarding mediocrity.
It's not like he's shown anything in the 400 odd minutes he's gotten this season.

NWRed

Big mistake for both parties if true. He's at a club where the manager believes in giving youth a chance at we're short in the no.10 position, he just needs to show some patience.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He’s not early developing here so who could blame him for moving on. It might be a good move it might not but he’s at an age where he needs to start playing pretty soon.
He's the same age as Foden, who also barely played before renewing his contract with City last season. Gomes is running down his therefore he's not getting games. I'm completely with the club here, an 18 year old should not be holding Manchester United to ransom, especially when the jury is still out on whether he'll make it.

PS. Just read through the past few pages - surely it's clear that Gomes isn't featuring this season BECAUSE the club gave him minutes in pre-season to show he was going to be utilised and he still didn't renew...

Stadjer

He's the same age as Foden, who also barely played before renewing his contract with City last season. Gomes is running down his therefore he's not getting games. I'm completely with the club here, an 18 year old should not be holding Manchester United to ransom, especially when the jury is still out on whether he'll make it.

PS. Just read through the past few pages - surely it's clear that Gomes isn't featuring this season BECAUSE the club gave him minutes in pre-season to show he was going to be utilised and he still didn't renew...
A difference is that Foden gets to work with Guardiola, a lot of players would like to get that opportunity. Working with Ole just doesnt compare to that.

Secondly when Foden is looking at other players in his position he sees Kevin de Bruyne (best in the league), Silva 1 and Silva 2. When Gomes looks at his competition he sees Lingard not able to control a ball or score a goal, Pereira who misses a footballing brain and Mata who cant run.

If Ole refuses to give him a serious chance.. why would he stay?

Dante

Average bang
He has a manager that loves to give youth a chance.

He has no nailed on starters ahead of him in the first team.

He's had openings in the squad due to an injury crisis.

He's already seen a clear pathway to the starting lineup demonstrated by several players in his age group.

Everything Gomes could possibly want is here for him at Old Trafford. If he hasn't made the most of the opportunity, that's on him. 2019 Manchester United is pretty much the best place a player of his age and profile could be.

If Gomes feels he should get into the team based on reputation, he should leave.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

He's already seen a clear pathway to the starting lineup demonstrated by several players in his age group.

Everything Gomes could possibly want is here for him at Old Trafford. If he hasn't made the most of the opportunity, that's on him. 2019 Manchester United is pretty much the best place a player of his age and profile could be.
Pretty much this.

80 fecking pages in the performance thread of a kid who barely has even played for the first team this season. People on here really need to stop overhyping every Tom, Dick and Harry from the youth teams. If he wants to stay and is determined to fight for a spot (like the other kids are), good on him. If not then goodbye. Not worth losing any sleep over.

lRed

I'm sorry but he did not convince when he featured recently.
Work hard, train hard, prove yourself and you'll be play regularly in the 1st team.
If not, well have a nice career.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A difference is that Foden gets to work with Guardiola, a lot of players would like to get that opportunity. Working with Ole just doesnt compare to that.

Secondly when Foden is looking at other players in his position he sees Kevin de Bruyne (best in the league), Silva 1 and Silva 2. When Gomes looks at his competition he sees Lingard not able to control a ball or score a goal, Pereira who misses a footballing brain and Mata who cant run.

That makes no sense at all considering that other academy players have got their chances -- from Greenwood, Chong, Axel to Williams -- unless you have some other agenda.

In Rainbows

Pretty much this.

80 fecking pages in the performance thread of a kid who barely has even played for the first team this season. People on here really need to stop overhyping every Tom, Dick and Harry from the youth teams. If he wants to stay and is determined to fight for a spot (like the other kids are), good on him. If not then goodbye. Not worth losing any sleep over.
This rhetoric that Gomes is a nobody from our academy is gross. As if he was average for our youth teams.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This rhetoric that Gomes is a nobody from our academy is gross. As if he was average for our youth teams.
Yeah. To me this is like Morrison without the shenanigans just the issue is replaced with lack of height. Whatever happen may happen but it is just silly to doubt his talent or refuse to acknowledge his well earned hype.

Sterling Archer

Plenty of managers love that. Heck, Jose gave him the debut and he hated youth!
Literally every other first team player has been nailed on ahead of him :lol:
Jesse Pereira Mata Pogba even Fred when he was awful
and he wasn't played
Pereira and Chong are consistently poor. Yet they continue to get selected ahead of him. Greenwood has been fantastic. Jesse still gets in ahead of him. Williams has been very good. An out of shape not dynamic Shaw will play most games until injured. That's before we even get to Axel...

Not quite this clear pathway...

If Gomes feels he should get into the team based on reputation, he should leave.
:lol: this is just so so precious.

kundalini

14 England U17 players featured in the final of the U17 World Cup against Spain.

- Curtis Anderson doesn't currently have a club, Oakley-Boothe plays for Spurs U23, George McEachran for Chelsea U23, Nya Kirby for Palace U23 (got mins in League One on loan last season)

- Marc Guehi 180 mins for Chelsea in EFL Cup this season, Angel Gomes 3 starts for United in Europa League, Rhian Brewster 180 mins for Liverpool in EFL Cup

- Joel Latibeaudiere currently on loan at Twente from Man City. 351 mins in Eredivisie. Panzo on loan at Cercle Bruges from Monaco, 1050 mins in Jupiler Pro League, also 106 mins in Ligue 1 for Monaco

- Steve Sessegnon 636 mins in Championship this season for Fulham. 285 mins in EFL Cup in previous seasons, Conor Gallagher 1808 mins in Championship for Charlton, on loan from Chelsea

- Morgan Gibbs-White 120 mins in PL this season, 470 mins in other competitions. 637 mins in PL last season, 437 mins in Championship the season before.

- Callum Hudson-Odoi missed early part of the season through injury. Mostly sub appearances for Chelsea this season. One start in CL, two in PL and two in EFL Cup. 299 mins PL, 171 mins CL.

- Foden 139 mins PL, 186 mins CL, 180 mins EFL Cup

To put it bluntly, Angel isn't the only player from this elite group to be struggling to get first team opportunities for their parent club. Some have got more, some have got less, some have had similar to Gomes, some have gone out on loan to a significantly weaker league in order to get playing time.

In Rainbows

He's another Morrison. A player who's thought he'd made it before he actually had.

Even if he makes it, his attitude wont be missed at United. This is Fergie culture through and through and if you cant handle it, feck off.
I don't think I've ever heard of him having a bad attitude. Heck, he even captains both United and England.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's another Morrison. A player who's thought he'd made it before he actually had.

Even if he makes it, his attitude wont be missed at United. This is Fergie culture through and through and if you cant handle it, feck off.
Post based entirely on fiction.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't think I've ever heard of him having a bad attitude. Heck, he even captains both United and England.
A bad attitude, much like Herrera, isn't just about behaviour on the field, but its also about how a player presents themselves off field including contract negotiation.

If a player is presented with an opportunity that reflects their current standing in the squad and slaps it away because it doesn't align with their perceived worth, then you have an attitude problem. This is a player thats far from made it and shown very little in the matches he has played. If he's running around demanding a ridiculous contract, i'd tell him to find another club too. Otherwise you end up with another Januzai type situation where a player is given too much too soon and turns to shit. We also have player wage structures to consider. He aint 17 year old Rooney or Ronaldo so he shouldnt be expected to be paid like them either.

There's no reason to suggest that he wouldn't be getting chances unless there are issues in the background. This season has been laid at his feet in terms of making it at United. He will never get a better opportunity and yet here we are.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A bad attitude, much like Herrera, isn't just about behaviour on the field, but its also about how a player presents themselves off field including contract negotiation.

If a player is presented with an opportunity that reflects their current standing in the squad and slaps it away because it doesn't align with their perceived worth, then you have an attitude problem. This is a player thats far from made it and shown very little in the matches he has played. If he's running around demanding a ridiculous contract, i'd tell him to find another club too. Otherwise you end up with another Januzai type situation where a player is given too much too soon and turns to shit. We also have player wage structures to consider. He aint 17 year old Rooney or Ronaldo so he shouldnt be expected to be paid like them either.

There's no reason to suggest that he wouldn't be getting chances unless there are issues in the background. This season has been laid at his feet in terms of making it at United. He will never get a better opportunity and yet here we are.
So by your own words he'll never get a better opportunity, and yet he's still barely been been given any time on the pitch.

There's been no indication anywhere that the hold up was based on financial gain. The rumours (which have been consistent for about 12 months now) have been that he was going to wait to see how much game time he was going to get, and although his preference was always to stay at Utd but ultimately he'd leave if he had to to get a better chance. Basically identical to his good mate Sancho leaving City, or Pogba in the past for us. Both left because they had the self-confidence that they were good enough to play but weren't getting the opportunity, and in their cases they backed that up as soon as they left. It looks like Gomes is going to do the same thing, so it will be interesting to see if it works out for him as well as it did those two.

Canagel

Better than Lingard and Periera. I really hope for him that he will go to Barcelona or Juventus and shine, who cares if he's small (apart from our coaching team :lol:) its like they forgot we need to play football to win football matches. Yeah I think its time to go, he spent enough time waiting for his opportunity

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A real pity. Greenwood took a good few games to look comfortable and maybe Angel just needed the same. Not like we have anyone in his position tearing things up. I guess the only thing is that I think he's a Manchester lad so he may return but if he does then he'll likely cost a pretty penny.

Not on social media so has he just deleted any reference about united on there?
I knew it, he is never going to sign :(

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It kind of reminds me when Pogba decide to leave us and join Juventus years ago, we have Park and Rafael playing out of position to start in midfield ahead of him, and also retired Scholes coming back from retirement of course. For Gomes, we have Lingard, Pereira and Mata ahead of him, not to mention the likelihood of new no.10 joining us next summer.

Roboc7

Even if he signed a new contract he wouldn’t be playing much, he is well down the pecking order. That’s just the reality, the club will probably also recruit creative players so will only get tougher.

I think it’s very understandable if he wants to move on at this stage.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
So by your own words he'll never get a better opportunity, and yet he's still barely been been given any time on the pitch.

There's been no indication anywhere that the hold up was based on financial gain. The rumours (which have been consistent for about 12 months now) have been that he was going to wait to see how much game time he was going to get, and although his preference was always to stay at Utd but ultimately he'd leave if he had to to get a better chance. Basically identical to his good mate Sancho leaving City, or Pogba in the past for us. Both left because they had the self-confidence that they were good enough to play but weren't getting the opportunity, and in their cases they backed that up as soon as they left. It looks like Gomes is going to do the same thing, so it will be interesting to see if it works out for him as well as it did those two.
Sorry but this idea that he's good enough and not getting game time is laughable. Do you honestly think that if he were a source of unbridled talent that he wouldnt be in the first team considering out number 10 options at the moment? That Ole would risk his job on not playing him to teach him a lesson?

What a load of bullshit. He's not playing because he's not good enough. It is beyond clear that when he has played he's been no better than Chong. I want him to do well, but right now his ambition clearly outweighs his talent. Pogba had the benefit of moving to a seriously weak Serie A to learn his trade. Simiarly, Sancho has moved to one of the better teams in the Bundesliga. These players didn't just feck off and turn up at the highest level the next day.

Ban

Better than Lingard and Periera. I really hope for him that he will go to Barcelona or Juventus and shine, who cares if he's small (apart from our coaching team :lol:) its like they forgot we need to play football to win football matches. Yeah I think its time to go, he spent enough time waiting for his opportunity
You know for sure him being small is something our coaching stuff care about?

dev1l

I don't know what s going on behind the scenes but
History has shown us that being a great player in youth teams is not a guarantee that you ll make it in senior football.
People may change a lot from 17 till they reach 21.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I’m weary of his hype. We saw Pereira dominate the youth level too. He may just not be as good as everyone thinks at top level.

I feel for many it’s just about seeing a fresh face play 10 because our current options are shit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shame really. I remember a time when he was nearly scoring every week in the youth teams like Greenwood subsequently did (obviously to a much greater extent) and everyone was so sure he was a special talent bound to make it at United.

I imagine he never impressed Ole in training but can't help but feel it would have been worth it to give some chances given our glaring weakness in the middle.

Stadjer

That makes no sense at all considering that other academy players have got their chances -- from Greenwood, Chong, Axel to Williams -- unless you have some other agenda.
Agenda :lol:

Greenwood finally for a chance but it took long enough. Greenwood had a great pre season, Lingard was shocking yet Lingard started all games in the beginning of the season and Greenwood got five minute if he was lucky. Ofcourse you can say that "Greenwood was only 17, he is young!!!!" but he was (and is) clearly better than Lingard yet Lingard got way more playing time. Even bringing Lingard on instead of bringing Greenwood on when we needed a goal...

The whole giving youth a chance is a taken out of context i think... Williams got a bit of playing time when Young and Shaw couldnt play at left back. Tuanzebe has hardly been playing and Chong isnt exactly playing a lot of games either. Those meaningless Europa League games hardly count either. Even Mourinho wouldnt play his first team in those games.

Gomes isnt playing at all and his competition consists out of three of the worst creative/attacking midfielders in the league. All those three have over Gomes is age/experience and yet Ole always chooses one of those three and not Gomes. When Gomes did play he didnt show that he was any worse than any of those three.

The only agenda i have is to see a young talented and technical player play instead of having to endure watching Lingard, Mata or Pereira. For example i dont see how Gomes could have done any worse than Lingard yesterday.

Ole isnt Mourinho (no youth) when it comes to giving youth a chance but he also isnt Louis van Gaal (loads of youth).

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Sorry but this idea that he's good enough and not getting game time is laughable. Do you honestly think that if he were a source of unbridled talent that he wouldnt be in the first team considering out number 10 options at the moment? That Ole would risk his job on not playing him to teach him a lesson?

What a load of bullshit. He's not playing because he's not good enough. It is beyond clear that when he has played he's been no better than Chong. I want him to do well, but right now his ambition clearly outweighs his talent. Pogba had the benefit of moving to a seriously weak Serie A to learn his trade. Simiarly, Sancho has moved to one of the better teams in the Bundesliga. These players didn't just feck off and turn up at the highest level the next day.
I would think his ambition is to play as much as possible but it doesn't seem like Ole is willing to take a gamble on him as of now, and no one would be surprised if we brought in a ready made player in his position either in January or next summer because it's an urgent problem to solve right now for United. So if he's not good enough to play for us then what's the problem with looking for a club where he can get more game time? You're not obliged to stay at your current club and sign whatever contract you get just because you're young and haven't proven yourself yet.

You seem to be arguing that he should sign without even contemplating another option and if he doesn't he's either got a bad attitude or is delusional about his own ability, neither of which is based on anything real.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Writing was on the wall in pre season where he barely featured

Status
Not open for further replies.