5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

I like Gomes, but if he thinks a move is best for him, then let him off. He has refused to sign a new contract so far, so if he doesn't want to be here there is nothing we can do.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sorry but this idea that he's good enough and not getting game time is laughable. Do you honestly think that if he were a source of unbridled talent that he wouldnt be in the first team considering out number 10 options at the moment? That Ole would risk his job on not playing him to teach him a lesson?

What a load of bullshit. He's not playing because he's not good enough. It is beyond clear that when he has played he's been no better than Chong. I want him to do well, but right now his ambition clearly outweighs his talent. Pogba had the benefit of moving to a seriously weak Serie A to learn his trade. Simiarly, Sancho has moved to one of the better teams in the Bundesliga. These players didn't just feck off and turn up at the highest level the next day.
The key is that HE probably feels like he needs first team minutes to step up to the next level. He'd prefer it to be here, but if it's not then he will go elsewhere (most likely a step down although we'll see) and play there. He rightfully needs to prioritise his own career.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I guess he is off. Shame. He could have got more minutes this year because competition for no10 position was awful but i think there is a reason why Ole decided against it.

Now we shall see is he our new Pogba or new Januzaj. Good person in me hopes that he is new Pogba but selfish bastard in me ( because of my future mental health) wishes that he is new Januzaj. :)

Dante

Average bang
Plenty of managers love that. Heck, Jose gave him the debut and he hated youth!

Literally every other first team player has been nailed on ahead of him :lol:
Jesse Pereira Mata Pogba even Fred when he was awful

and he wasn't played

Pereira and Chong are consistently poor. Yet they continue to get selected ahead of him. Greenwood has been fantastic. Jesse still gets in ahead of him. Williams has been very good. An out of shape not dynamic Shaw will play most games until injured. That's before we even get to Axel...

Not quite this clear pathway...

:lol: this is just so so precious.
Precious?

I assume you have a conspiracy theory to explain why our team selection isn't a meritocracy, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

jem

He has a manager that loves to give youth a chance.

He has no nailed on starters ahead of him in the first team.

He's had openings in the squad due to an injury crisis.

He's already seen a clear pathway to the starting lineup demonstrated by several players in his age group.

Everything Gomes could possibly want is here for him at Old Trafford. If he hasn't made the most of the opportunity, that's on him. 2019 Manchester United is pretty much the best place a player of his age and profile could be.

If Gomes feels he should get into the team based on reputation, he should leave.
I agree. The one thing Ole has consistently shown is a willingness to give youth a chance, whether it be very young players like Williams and Greenwood, or young-ish players such as James, Tuanzebe and Pereira. If it were Mourinho, I might entertain the idea that Jose was once again ignoring a youth prospect. However, with Ole in charge, all signs would point to Gomes not showing the requisite qualities in training to deserve more playing time.

Dante

Average bang
I agree. The one thing Ole has consistently shown is a willingness to give youth a chance, whether it be very young players like Williams and Greenwood, or young-ish players such as James, Tuanzebe and Pereira. If it were Mourinho, I might entertain the idea that Jose was once again ignoring a youth prospect. However, with Ole in charge, all signs would point to Gomes not showing the requisite qualities in training to deserve more playing time.
Apparently, it's precious to think that.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agreed.

Foxbatt

He is not a winger and some players can't play in some positions. He has been played on the wing all the time.

Sterling Archer

Precious?
Yes, very much so. A kind of childlike fantasy that comes from a place of innocence. It's very adorable. Just to be sure you know what I'm referring to, I pasted below. In particular the first and last lines:

Everything Gomes could possibly want is here for him at Old Trafford. If he hasn't made the most of the opportunity, that's on him. 2019 Manchester United is pretty much the best place a player of his age and profile could be.
Its just your opinion, I know. But I think it's naive but also very sweet. As for it being on Gomes, I find that rather harsh. Seeing Lingard, Mata and Pereira ahead of you dragging United down is probably a lot more objectionable than Park and Rafael getting the nod in midfield over Paul and then beating Arsenal. And yet many have a lot of sympathies for the latter. Strange they can't offer the same understanding here.

And if you want an example of where I would send someone of Gomes' profile instead, I'd start with Ajax. You get to play in the Champions League, get a thirst for winning titles, learn to play better football and quite possibly wind up at a top club in Europe..a current top one, not a former one.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes, very much so. A kind of childlike fantasy that comes from a place of innocence. It's very adorable. Just to be sure you know what I'm referring to, I pasted below. In particular the first and last lines:

Its just your opinion, I know. But I think it's naive but also very sweet. As for it being on Gomes, I find that rather harsh. Seeing Lingard, Mata and Pereira ahead of you dragging United down is probably a lot more objectionable than Park and Rafael getting the nod in midfield over Paul and then beating Arsenal. And yet many have a lot of sympathies for the latter. Strange they can't offer the same understanding here.

And if you want an example of where I would send someone of Gomes' profile instead, I'd start with Ajax. You get to play in the Champions League, get a thirst for winning titles, learn to play better football and quite possibly wind up at a top club in Europe..a current top one, not a former one.
Ajax aren’t in the champions league.

Dec9003

He might sign a new deal yet so I won’t slate him, but if he doesn’t and he wants to leave that’s up to him.
Him not wanting to renew has seemingly been an issue for a while, so it makes sense not to give him minutes over players who actually want to be here.
Getting into the first team at United is a privilege, not a right, so if he isn’t willing to work towards that then he won’t be missed.

Sterling Archer

Ajax aren’t in the champions league.
:lol: they just were, mate. Semi finals last year. Group stage this. And considering they're in first in the league, most likely next year as well.

When's the last time United were in the European cup/CL SF with a squad as young as that? Have to go back to the fifty years

cyberman

Never showed he can be a Utd player to be honest. Seems to get lost in midfield a bit and bis size is avainst him no matter what many posters say. English football may have moved on from kick and rush but not to the point that a small, decent passer can make it at the highest level.
If Ole isnt giving him a chance then he must not be doing anything in training

He'sRaldo

Man, aren't you condescending for a poster who constantly complains about the state of the forum. Starting to understand why you're getting all those aggressive replies you keep complaining about.

Dec9003

:lol: they just were, mate. Semi finals last year. Group stage this. And considering they're in first in the league, most likely next year as well.

When's the last time United were in the European cup/CL SF with a squad as young as that? Have to go back to the fifty years
Ajax aren’t in the champions league, they were drawn against Getafe in the europa league.
They’re top of the league on goal difference after losing yesterday to the team just behind them, they have a chance but there’s a good chance they won’t win the league.

Sterling Archer

Ajax aren’t in the champions league, they were drawn against Getafe in the europa league.
They’re top of the league on goal difference after losing yesterday to the team just behind them, they have a chance but there’s a good chance they won’t win the league.
Don't embarrass yourself anymore champ.

Edit: since I just replied Raioldo... I'm sorry Dec. Let's cut the back and forth. you know exactly what I meant and I hope we don't need me to go back and specify that I'm talking about annual participation in the CL versus the current knockout stage. For a brief moment I thought I might need to clarify it in case of unnecessary knit picking. But I really just expected better judgement here

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Man, aren't you condescending for a poster who constantly complains about the state of the forum. Starting to understand why you're getting all those aggressive replies you keep complaining about.
Sadly, yes. I am like a roller coaster of late. As much as I want to blame on a previous comment or passing dig, it's not fair to do anything but be accept my own involvement. I should be better than this reactionary fight fire-with-fire type response. Sometimes it takes a reminder like yours that I'm not being the way I wish others were.

As for others' replies, i felt it was mostly unrelated, aggression around the Ole in-Ole out divide rather than because I said something unbecoming. In either case, watch this space (poking fun at Woodward but I do mean it)

Dec9003

Don't embarrass yourself anymore champ.
Easy response when you have nothing else to say.
As for Gomes going to Ajax, it might be a good move for him, but he likely wouldn’t play every match there either since they’re a good side with better players than him.

Sterling Archer

Easy response when you have nothing else to say.
As for Gomes going to Ajax, it might be a good move for him, but he likely wouldn’t play every match there either since they’re a good side with better players than him.
I edited my reply.

lumeyes

Writing was on the wall in pre season where he barely featured
He actually did feature prominently in one game, for about 45 mins. That was against Leeds, and he pretty much demonstrated why it was a silly idea to keep playing a past it Mata and a poor Lingard ahead of him in the no 10 position, without giving him a look. Anyone in doubt should go and watch that game. There was this first time touch and close control he executed while being chased by a much bigger Leeds player. My first thought was "no way, it was just a fluke" but after watching the replay several times, I realised he knew what he was doing. Even before the ball got to him. That was about the only time Ole bordered to play him in the no 10 or any other midfield position, until the Astana game at Old Trafford. Then he disappeared for the rest of the preseason, only being given 10 minutes in two matches. And that was from the left wing. Lingard and Mata - the former especially - kept getting time after time, though they were consistently poor. I don't understand how the reward for playing well in a game is being pushed out of position while being given only 10 mins or so at the end of a few games.

Anyone who thinks Lingard and Mata are currently so superior to him that he can't get a decent half an hour as a no 10 in games where we could afford to (Astana away for example) should please pick one game since preseason (until before the Tottenham game) in which each of the old brigade members played well and let's compare to Gomes vs Leeds (45 mins) or Gomes vs Astana or even his first game in the EPL (vs Rothernham I think). Of course some will claim those teams he played against don't matter, but that argument can be easily punctured by the fact that our senior players have played against similar teams and we still lacked substance.

Playing a kid in a position he has never featured in, a position he hasn't any attributes that will make him a success therein, should never be considered as giving him a fair chance.

Sterling Archer

But even in terms of annual participation they’re not always there, last season was the first time they’d been in the champions league since the 2014/2015 season.
Indeed. They're a great comparison because they have a bit more stability at the moment with a manager that's been good for them and seem to have entered another cycle of successful years. We're far from that and yet you could say both clubs offer as much play time to youngsters.

Red_toad

He might sign a new deal yet so I won’t slate him, but if he doesn’t and he wants to leave that’s up to him.
Him not wanting to renew has seemingly been an issue for a while, so it makes sense not to give him minutes over players who actually want to be here.
Getting into the first team at United is a privilege, not a right, so if he isn’t willing to work towards that then he won’t be missed.
So him and Chong have both still to agree new deals. But for some reason it’s Caf logic that Angel isn’t being played as he hasn’t signed. It’s simply not true that him not agreeing a deal is the issue.

Fosu-Mens

He is not playing because the way we play does not suit his abilities as a footballer. If we relied on possession as a means to win, then he would have played more given his abilities when on the ball and as a passer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m in the school of thought that we’ve known for a while that he won’t sign a new deal. It’s only a few weeks to January so it’s safe to presume he’s leaving. Did Barca turn his head?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I’m in the school of thought that we’ve known for a while that he won’t sign a new deal. It’s only a few weeks to January so it’s safe to presume he’s leaving. Did Barca turn his head?
Seems so from the little I've read.
I hope he does horribly if he leave. :p

mu4c_20le

Yeah. To me this is like Morrison without the shenanigans just the issue is replaced with lack of height. Whatever happen may happen but it is just silly to doubt his talent or refuse to acknowledge his well earned hype.
He is nothing like Morrison... he is not even our best player in the reserves. It's absurd the amount of hype he's getting without having proven anything at the senior level. Time will tell if this is another Pogba situation.

Dec9003

So him and Chong have both still to agree new deals. But for some reason it’s Caf logic that Angel isn’t being played as he hasn’t signed. It’s simply not true that him not agreeing a deal is the issue.
According to transfermarkt
Gomes first team minutes: 254
Chong first team minutes: 248
The bulk of Chongs minutes have been in the lower league cup with the rest of the kids, whereas Gomes has played more minutes in the Europa league, playing 246 minutes as opposed to Chong who played 164, although Chong has also played 60 minutes in the league cup, meaning they’ve played a similar amount for the first team.

Kostov

It's not like he's shown anything in the 400 odd minutes he's gotten this season.
Funny thing is you mention they, what has Lingard for example shown for over a year while still getting minutes? Or Mata? Or Pereira?

But yeah let’s judge a 19 year old kid on 400minutes. He was also much better in pre season than Lingard or Mata.

Drainy

Sucks to lose him because he is potentially class in a position we're lacking quality in, but realistically given his physique he's a while away from being trusted at 1st team level. Probably 1-2 years, and by then Mejbri will be knocking on the door as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If there's concern about his physicality among the staff that he should wait just a little bit with PL matches then I can somewhat understand, but it would be perplexing to see Jones with 4 year of contract while letting go of Herrera and Gomes in matter of months.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Disappointing if he goes but if he's not performing in training to get in the side when there is now clearly a path to it for the younger players then fair enough.

If it's purely to do with his size because the coaches think he's too small then that would be more disappointing imo.

Thiagoal

If he’d rather leave on a free than sign an extension at his boyhood club, then to me it proves he doesn’t have confidence in his own ability to break into this weak United team! Not the elite mentality we need! If he was already good enough he’d be playing- quite simple in my mind

manunited1919

I would think his ambition is to play as much as possible but it doesn't seem like Ole is willing to take a gamble on him as of now, and no one would be surprised if we brought in a ready made player in his position either in January or next summer because it's an urgent problem to solve right now for United. So if he's not good enough to play for us then what's the problem with looking for a club where he can get more game time? You're not obliged to stay at your current club and sign whatever contract you get just because you're young and haven't proven yourself yet.

You seem to be arguing that he should sign without even contemplating another option and if he doesn't he's either got a bad attitude or is delusional about his own ability, neither of which is based on anything real.
This.
Ideally we should offer him an attractive contract, then send him out on loan. But perhaps the club are not offering very attractive terms either because of the situation you mentioned or/and they have other youth prospects in the position who seem better than him in the long term.

mu4c_20le

If he’d rather leave on a free than sign an extension at his boyhood club, then to me it proves he doesn’t have confidence in his own ability to break into this weak United team! Not the elite mentality we need! If he was already good enough he’d be playing- quite simple in my mind
This makes me wonder if he actually gave up on the club, or is it the other way around. Ole put him in the first team this season and gave him chances, thats more than what Pogba was given back in the day. We've even handicapped ourselves by not signing another midfielder or forward, and specifically putting faith in the kids.

Dante

Average bang

Why isn't Gomes getting games? What's your non-fantasy, fully grown conspiracy theory?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
You can't lose what you never had, but it's gonna suck if he reaches his potential elsewhere.

I think he's gone, he'd likely have gotten more minutes if he would have signed a contract and shown his commitment but who knows now. He claims to be a united fan so maybe we sign him again in the future.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is nothing like Morrison... he is not even our best player in the reserves. It's absurd the amount of hype he's getting without having proven anything at the senior level. Time will tell if this is another Pogba situation.
It will be nothing like the Pogba situation... Pogba was highly rated just like Morrison while Gomes hype isn't real you say. Only time will tell if Gomes can emulate Lingard for us or not.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
People are shameless in rewriting history. When he used to play the majority of posters would say that although he's getting unlucky in games due to poor play overall, he's clearly a very good player with tons of potential.

And that's exactly what he still is. He's immensely talented but people are rewriting history.

Status
Not open for further replies.