5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

joedirt87

I would just like to see him and Chong get a run of games because what few options we currently have are terrible. if they are worse so what, least we tried them and know they are not the answer. move on to the next young player.

Pughnichi

Did you say that when we beat city and spurs in December? I assume not. This player obsession is odd. If Gomes was good enough I’m pretty damn sure he would play. We’ve had no drama playing the other youngsters
don’t assume anything

lingard has been trash for a a long while now. For that reason yeah...I’d still much prefer to have seen Gomes.

BlahRules

don’t assume anything

lingard has been trash for a a long while now. For that reason yeah...I’d still much prefer to have seen Gomes.
I don't understand people assumption because a manager does not pick a player then they're not good enough. If that was the logic then KDB and Salah is shit since Mourinho never picked them and then later sold both.

Lingard has shown for more then one year that he is completely shit, Gomes has done more than Lingard and he was given less than 100 minutes of game time.

Sylar

If i was him, despite being a United fan, id want to leave ASAP.

If we were fighting for the title or on a roll, and his chances were limited, I would understand it. Or if he had at least one quality proven player ahead of him in the position he wants to play, I would get the lack of minutes.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Disappointed when Lingard came on last night, and really did nothing of note while he was on, had one shot blocked if I remember, Gomes with Mata could have made quite a creative pairing if tried. Burnley weren't really pressing after they scored the second goal, so we could and should have put Gomes on with 30 minutes to go, and we may, or may not have got something out of the game, but we should have had a go. Unless Williams had a knock, I would have also given Chong a run.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Maybe he’s already told us that he’s not signing a new contract, only on the bench as we have no options?
May be, but I would still play him, he's a Man Utd player until the end of the season, and if he did do well, he might change his mind?

lumeyes

Unless he’s already signed a pre-contract?
I really don't get this line of argument. Let's even assume he's signed a pre-contract. We were chasing the game yesterday and needed a point, just like we've needed a point, or two from several games we should be winning this season. Would you rather see us miss out on a Champions leage or even Europa league position because of pettiness?

The most unforunate thing about bring Lingard in yesterday was Mata being pushed deeper, further way from being close to potential goal scorers who he could assist with some creativity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I really don't get this line of argument. Let's even assume he's signed a pre-contract. We were chasing the game yesterday and needed a point, just like we've needed a point, or two from several games we should be winning this season. Would you rather see us miss out on a Champions leage or even Europa league position because of pettiness?

The most unforunate thing about bring Lingard in yesterday was Mata being pushed deeper, further way from being close to potential goal scorers who he could assist with some creativity.
Well I just can’t work out any other logic to why he’s not getting more minutes and we know that other players have been alienated at clubs when they’ve made it clear that they want out

lumeyes

I don't understand people assumption because a manager does not pick a player then they're not good enough. If that was the logic then KDB and Salah is shit since Mourinho never picked them and then later sold both.

Lingard has shown for more then one year that he is completely shit, Gomes has done more than Lingard and he was given less than 100 minutes of game time.
Many thanks for this. I've always believed that arguments should be based on logic and I think that's the way it should be among adults. Yes a manager not picking someone could mean the player is not good enough but could also mean the manager isn't good enough, is too myopic to innovate, or is simply biased/corrupt. For all his faults Mourinho is still historically a better manager than Ole, yet he wasn't able to see or appreciate the qualities in those two players.

I would challenge those unfairly putting down Gomes in favour of Lingard to do a compilation of Lingard's contribution from AM or any other midfield position this season and compare to Gomes' contributions from 3 games - 65 mins vs Astana, plus 20 minutes or so against city and Norwich combined, all at Old Trafford. Coming to this forum to repeat what a poor player Gomes (especially for not being able to displace a piss poor Lingard) is no sound logic.

Disappointed when Lingard came on last night, and really did nothing of note while he was on, had one shot blocked if I remember, Gomes with Mata could have made quite a creative pairing if tried. Burnley weren't really pressing after they scored the second goal, so we could and should have put Gomes on with 30 minutes to go, and we may, or may not have got something out of the game, but we should have had a go. Unless Williams had a knock, I would have also given Chong a run.
They already showed a glimpse of that during pre-season which led to a beautiful goal against Spurs. Mata is no longer what he used to be and can be easily pressed but if you want someone exchanging quick intelligent passes with Gomes it's got to be him. In the absence of Pogba. Ole's decisions can be really baffling.

SirAF

Ageist
Well I just can’t work out any other logic to why he’s not getting more minutes and we know that other players have been alienated at clubs when they’ve made it clear that they want out
If that was the case then surely he wouldn’t even be on the bench from time to time? Certainly not coming on.

mu4c_20le

If that was the case then surely he wouldn’t even be on the bench from time to time? Certainly not coming on.
Chong has been talking to other clubs and is still ahead of him in the pecking order. Maybe he's just not good enough or suited to the league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Chong has been talking to other clubs and is still ahead of him in the pecking order. Maybe he's just not good enough or suited to the league.
Or not rated by Ole, as was seen in pre season

lumeyes

Except he is injured or totally out of form, we shouldn't be using that same approach we used in the past. Life should be flexible. We need every point we can get. I also remeber Fergie indulging Ronaldo and Rooney, when in the past he came down hard on the like of Beckham, Stam, Schmeichel, etc. Ronaldo threw a big tantrum for being substituted while Rooney practically held the club at gun point to get a pay raise. Those actions would have put them in trouble in previous Fergie Man Utd teams because no one was really indispensable, to some extent. We are still paying Gomes salary, so why not use him until he is no longer with us or someone who is going to stay with us becomes avaialable? What makes his situation even more curious is that Chong, who is in the same boat as him, has received more game minutes in his natural/preferred position while being bad to very bad.

Red_toad

Ole is playing Matic and it’s bleedin obvious he’s gone at the end of the season. Angel isn’t getting games, as Ole obviously feels he’s not currently good enough or it’s the wrong matches to involve him. Ole is going to utilise his players as he sees best.
Angel is involved in the first team squad and hasn’t been alienated. Otherwise he’d be getting the pigshagger treatment and be on inactive duty with the under 23’s.
I’m certain if Ole felt Angel would have a match winning affect on any game he’d be in the team instantly.

lumeyes

There is no way anyone can honestly say that Chong has been better than Gomes in the senior team, even if Gome's game time out of position is taken into consideration - which would be unjust anyways. Not by any stretch of imagination.

lumeyes

Ole is playing Matic and it’s bleedin obvious he’s gone at the end of the season. Angel isn’t getting games, as Ole obviously feels he’s not currently good enough or it’s the wrong matches to involve him. Ole is going to utilise his players as he sees best.
Angel is involved in the first team squad and hasn’t been alienated. Otherwise he’d be getting the pigshagger treatment and be on inactive duty with the under 23’s.
I’m certain if Ole felt Angel would have a match winning affect on any game he’d be in the team instantly.
Or maybe Ole is just an average manager who shouldn't be in charge of any club with a top 4 ambition. Why do you guys want to see Gomes as the only possible problem? No one succeeds in solving a complex problem by coming with a pre-determined solution and refusing to look at other possibilities.

Red_toad

Or maybe Ole is just an average manager who shouldn't be in charge of any club with a top 4 ambition. Why do you guys want to see Gomes as the only possible problem? No one succeeds in solving a complex problem by coming with a pre-determined solution and refusing to look at other possibilities.
Who are you guys?
When did I become one of ‘you guys’?
I was simply giving my opinion on a question, not a judgement on a player.
Why did you reply to my post, then harp on about something that was not implied nor stated and try to lump your interpretation of something that wasn’t said as if I’d said it? That’s bizarre!

I’ve never stated Angel is a problem. He’s a lovely lad and a very talented footballer.

If you wish to debate Ole’s managerial ability, there’s a thread for it.

LVGSdive

No he hasn’t he’s looked weak and lost,
He has played 19 Premier League minutes (2 sub appearances) and 26 minutes (1 sub appearance) in the EFL and you came to this genius conclusion?

My eyes told me that he was able to do more in those minutes than Lingard has done in much more time.

Kostov

Did you say that when we beat city and spurs in December? I assume not. This player obsession is odd. If Gomes was good enough I’m pretty damn sure he would play. We’ve had no drama playing the other youngsters
Did we see what? That he was the worst player on the pitch? Yeah we did. You are talking about a player obsession, yet our manager has given countless of undeserved chances to Lingard, and about 30 minutes of football to Gomes. How can you argue that blatant moronic management and favoritism?

Lingard actually had a few chances on target, including one decent volley. Gomes struggles to even impose himself in the game at this level, nevermind being an actual threat. The only thing he might do better is linking up play from what i've seen when he was given some chances in the first team, but relying on him to save a game like this is really amateur hour tbf.
Few chances on target? He had one shot that the keeper saved, couple of other hospital shot in the block and a couple of standard Lingard touches. Lingard at 27 and after countless of chances has failed to impose on the game, there is no logical explanation why this failed blatant favoritism is still getting minutes over Gomes. We can play Grant and he would offer more than Lingard.

DBT85

The issue is that we don't see the training sessions. If they are even half as intense as they were when Ole way playing it may be that Gomes still hasn't acclimated to a much more physical level of football than he has been used to before. It's clear to see that while Williams and Greenwood are also young, they've not had an issue with the physicality and that will only improve for them in the next 2-3 years.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Lingard actually had a few chances on target, including one decent volley. Gomes struggles to even impose himself in the game at this level, nevermind being an actual threat. The only thing he might do better is linking up play from what i've seen when he was given some chances in the first team, but relying on him to save a game like this is really amateur hour tbf.
Of course he struggles at this level, he has hardly played. Greenwood looked like a fish out of water during his first few games, but he is looking very good at times during a match, still has a long way to go though. Gomes would be no different in my eyes, give him the opportunity. Gomes is also likely to create something out of nothing, even if he is anonymous during a large part of the game. Lingard has had numerous chances to show he can change the course of a match, I have yet to see him do that this season. We created far more openings first half when Pereira was on than we did in the second half, Pereira, James, Mata and Martial all had opportunities that I can remember, (three of those from AWB crosses).

In Rainbows

God forbid you prioritize Gomes' development over Lingard's production of *checks notes* 0 goals or assists in the PL.

lumeyes

Who are you guys?
When did I become one of ‘you guys’?
I was simply giving my opinion on a question, not a judgement on a player.
Why did you reply to my post, then harp on about something that was not implied nor stated and try to lump your interpretation of something that wasn’t said as if I’d said it? That’s bizarre!

I’ve never stated Angel is a problem. He’s a lovely lad and a very talented footballer.

If you wish to debate Ole’s managerial ability, there’s a thread for it.
Well your comment which I responded to rhymes with a familiar refrain on Gomes on this forum. It's not intention to put words in your mouth but I don't see how my response to your post is off course. Maybe it's matter of perception but your opinion on Gome's could have been made without second guessing what Ole thinks or feels:

"Angel isn’t getting games, as Ole obviously feels he’s not currently good enough or it’s the wrong matches to involve him"

I didn't mean to upset you but this is just my opinion, and I am also entitled to it :)

0le

If there is one thing Ole has got right it is the youth players. Some of you actually live in some make believe reality. Fergie almost never played several youth products in one go except in cup games or dead rubber games. Each year we would see one or two given a few opportunities. This is exactly what we have seen this year. Williams and Greenwood got their opportunities. The other youth players got less time, but still something. I repeat, this is exactly what used to happen with Fergie.

If Gomes was ready, he would have featured more. The evidence is that when Shaw was injured, thre was no hesistation to play Williams. The fact that Ole has been so careful to play Gomes suggest he isn't ready.

Some of you need to just accept that and move on. This thread has become an embarassment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rumour has it Chelsea are trying to sign him

Red_toad

Well your comment which I responded to rhymes with a familiar refrain on Gomes on this forum. It's not intention to put words in your mouth but I don't see how my response to your post is off course. Maybe it's matter of perception but your opinion on Gome's could have been made without second guessing what Ole thinks or feels:

"Angel isn’t getting games, as Ole obviously feels he’s not currently good enough or it’s the wrong matches to involve him"

I didn't mean to upset you but this is just my opinion, and I am also entitled to it :)
Your opinion? You took what I posted and blew it out of all context and then added things I had not mentioned nor implied.
You’re welcome to post your opinion, but don’t try pass my option off as something it simply is not, you’re not entitled to do that.

Back on thread, Angel has been offered another contract, with better terms on the wages front. Negotiations still ongoing.

Thiagoal

So we’ve offered to treble his wages (30k per week) according to reports... will it be enough to persuade him?

Bondi77

It would be a good test to start him on Sunday as well as the likes of Bailly and Fosu and Dalot as our last game was dire and players need a rest.
Against a lower tier but a team that will probably be physical should give us a good look at Angel if he gets a start but I reckon Ole will start Lingard instead ....for what reason I fail to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.