4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Grimes

He got a bad knock to head when Martinez saved his header, he was actually very brave in going for it.

I find it hard to be too harsh on him because he gives 100% but he is probably never going to be near good enough.

Oranges038

He got a bad knock to head when Martinez saved his header, he was actually very brave in going for it.

I find it hard to be too harsh on him because he gives 100% but he is probably never going to be near good enough.
Aye, can't fault him for effort. But he's just not good enough, I'd have him in that Kieran Richardson, Chris Eagles category - decent young squad players to have for a time, to give them a chance, but eventually they just need to be moved on.

Sylar

He's not good enough though.

We've got Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Antony & Garnacho for forward positions.

Yes injuries happen but he's a sellable asset and that's a lot of depth as is.
I don't think he's good enough either

But Ronaldo isn't either
Martial can hardly stay fit and we are gambling on him
And we are going to have a full on schedule after the world cup (who knows what might happen)

We aren't blessed and unless we bring one in, losing one would be mad

lex talionis

Anthony is not growing as a footballer. He’ll be a decent journeyman, maybe even the next Welbeck, but it’s just not gonna happen for him at the highest level. No shame in that at all.

saik

Elanga is all pace and nothing else. I don't think he ever showed anything more than that. I think he will leave at the end of this season. There is no room for him in the squad once all of our forwards are fit.

Alemar

Absolutely useless. What does he do well? He can’t shoot, he can’t pass, he can’t dribble, he doesn’t have anticipation, his ball control is no good.

mikeyt

Epitome of mediocrity that the previous regime accepted. We need to cash in now.

justsomebloke

Interestingly though, some of his underlying PL stats/90 are really good.

- his Team success +/- (goals scored vs goals allowed when he is on the pitch) is a team-best + 1.14
- Ditto for xG/xGA, he's second, behind Martial.
- Touches in the oppo penalty area, best on the team (disregarding Garnacho, who has less than 1 full 90)
- Attempted dribbles, second on the team. (Successful dribbles only sixth, but still ahead of Dalot, Ronaldo, Bruno)
- Second in expected assists and expected assisted goals, in both cases behind Martial. Also second in actual assists (still per 90, remember).
- Second in fouls drawn, after Martial.

Then there's a few bits where he doesn't place very highly, but are ahead some of our other regulars with an offensive role: Goal-creating actions; seventh, but ahead of Shaw, Rashford and Antony. Shot-creating actions 9th, but ahead of those same players.

Then there's quite a few areas where he has been among the least impactful on the team, so it's a very mixed picture.

This seems to indicate that he may bring a bit more value than it looks like. I for one was more than a little surprised at those stats. If you're drawing a picture based on the stats, it'd be one of a player of very uneven quality who does bring some real things to the table, especially around and in the oppo box. Which again could be construed as a player with some serious developing left to do, but with real potential. Or, of course, of an essentially limited fringe player who gives you some things but lacks overall quality. But given his relative youth and inexperience, they strike me as pointing more to the former than to the latter.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Fulham 1:2 Man Utd

united for life

he needs ti step up his game. I think he has been consistently the worst player on the pitch every time he starts. Doesn’t offer much and he seems to have lost some confidence. Very poor again today unfortunately

Kag

He’s absolutely shite, bless him. Yes, he can run, yada yada. But look at Garnacho and then look at him. One is a United player; the other will be coming off the bench for Fulham in a few years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Jeez!! He's so poor. Feels like kicking a puppy because it's not his fault he's getting picked but he simply doesn't have what is required.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When Amad is coming back, Elanga would need to look for a new club, as he wouldn't get any game time.

julianfr

No offense to Elanga but I just don't feel anything when he's on the ball. Garnacho and Rashford have that X-factor, the unpredictability of the precosiously talented. He just gives off no vibes whatsoever. It's like having Wellbeck all over again.

Marwood

No offense to Elanga but I just don't feel anything when he's on the ball. Garnacho and Rashford have that X-factor, the unpredictability of the precosiously talented. He just gives off no vibes whatsoever. It's like having Wellbeck all over again.
He's nowhere near as good as Welbeck was.

Welbeck had everything but finishing in his locker. Without the injuries he'd have had a long top level career.

Elanga's basic touch and ball control, I'd question if its Premier League standard.

For a Championship team I think he'd be a great buy though.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Don’t really get the Elanga hate. He’s not been anything special, but we’ve won every league game he’s started, and, more relevantly, we’ve played better in those matches during the periods when he’s been on the field.

If he works hard, and fills gaps to allow other players to play in their preferred positions, that is still better than sometimes trying to cram everyone else in, playing some out of position.

AFC NimbleThumb

Lazy comparison. Nothing alike.

JeffFromHK

We need to sell him to a championship side at 10M next summer. Lack of skill aside, he is even not as industrious/hardworking as some of the fans think he is. provides no support for the defence at all.

NoPace

We need to sell him to a championship side at 10M next summer. Lack of skill aside, he is even not as industrious/hardworking as some of the fans think he is. provides no support for the defence at all.
He and Malacia got worked today by an experienced (and surprisingly frisky) Willian and then a big and quick and probably underrated LB in Robinson.

But I think Elanga might end up at a Prem team because he can probably score an acceptable number of goals from the left wing for a team that needs a backup, like Palace if say Zaha leaves and they buy a replacement who needs competition/backup. Villa could use a LW but they'll spend more than 10M I think. Maybe a mid-table Bundesliga side who plays on the counter and needs goals at LW.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I doubt Elanga will be going anywhere until an academy player is ready to take his place in the squad, because of quotas related to club grown players. He’s basically our 7th choice for the front three spots and the 21st-23rd player in the squad. That’s fine.

Rossa

He was notably invisible in covering for a struggling Malacia yesterday. He's quick, but he's very poor at actually using his speed. I'd sell him in summer and perhaps put a sell-on clause. He has some raw attributes but lacks too many technical abilities, imo.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Interestingly though, some of his underlying PL stats/90 are really good.

- his Team success +/- (goals scored vs goals allowed when he is on the pitch) is a team-best + 1.14
- Ditto for xG/xGA, he's second, behind Martial.
- Touches in the oppo penalty area, best on the team (disregarding Garnacho, who has less than 1 full 90)
- Attempted dribbles, second on the team. (Successful dribbles only sixth, but still ahead of Dalot, Ronaldo, Bruno)
- Second in expected assists and expected assisted goals, in both cases behind Martial. Also second in actual assists (still per 90, remember).
- Second in fouls drawn, after Martial.

Then there's a few bits where he doesn't place very highly, but are ahead some of our other regulars with an offensive role: Goal-creating actions; seventh, but ahead of Shaw, Rashford and Antony. Shot-creating actions 9th, but ahead of those same players.

Then there's quite a few areas where he has been among the least impactful on the team, so it's a very mixed picture.

This seems to indicate that he may bring a bit more value than it looks like. I for one was more than a little surprised at those stats. If you're drawing a picture based on the stats, it'd be one of a player of very uneven quality who does bring some real things to the table, especially around and in the oppo box. Which again could be construed as a player with some serious developing left to do, but with real potential. Or, of course, of an essentially limited fringe player who gives you some things but lacks overall quality. But given his relative youth and inexperience, they strike me as pointing more to the former than to the latter.

Just sayin'.
Thanks for the information, interesting read!

I will say this on Elanga, I think ETH is a lot more pleased with his actual performance than the average guy in the stand. His actual performance is just better than his appearance. Simply, a scouting report on Elanga would not and should not be great, right? When you watch him, is an above average PL player? No. He is lacking in many areas. He is a bit nervous on the ball. Some touches aren't the best. He can beat guys with sprints and dribbles, but its a bit chaotic.

At the same time, the 2-3 times per game he fumbles possession of the ball is only a smaller part of what he actually contributes on the field, and in addition he gets things done without it always looking that pretty, but that doesn't really matter.

His work rate is really good, his speed will push defenders back, not many would want to end up in a footrace with Elanga down the field. He leaves about any defender in the dust. He is really quick on loose balls to regain possession. He is loyal defensively. Very rarely dwells on the ball, move it forward to our more talented players instantly, if he isn't challenging his guy 1 on 1.

Ultimately, from my POV, Elanga is today just as little of a ETH type of player as Maguire is. At least on the wing. ETH wants his wingers to be able to lick the line, send in crosses, beat their guy. A big creative responsibility lies on them. That is not Elanga. As a winger, I think Elanga is more of a fit for like a Bundesliga team playing some sort of gegenpress focused style. If his future is on the wing, I wouldn't mind selling him to like Leipzig or Leverkusen or a club like that.

At the same time, Elanga is the typical versatile type of footballer from my POV. Could he adopt to become more of a Kingsley Coman type of winger? I.e., be more the licking the line/sending in crosses type. Or could he even like change position and become say an Alphonso Davies type of wing-back? He just got -- in a 100% positive wibe -- that team first errand boy vibe. He definitely has potential in that.

The Dane

Can anyone remember an attacking player in recent history who was judged as “below United standards” after 8-10 appearances, but later turned out to be decent. I can’t.
Elanga has done nothing wrong but he is not talented enough to be in a United squad that wants to challenge the likes of City. He needs to go for his own good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t really get the Elanga hate. He’s not been anything special, but we’ve won every league game he’s started, and, more relevantly, we’ve played better in those matches during the periods when he’s been on the field.

If he works hard, and fills gaps to allow other players to play in their preferred positions, that is still better than sometimes trying to cram everyone else in, playing some out of position.
Because nobody hates him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't rate him because he doesn't read the game at an acceptable level. He doesn't run with or without the ball properly and doesn't track back properly either. Now these kind of issues for a young players can be fixed with good coaching and if he is a good learner.

Davie Moyes

Quite strange he's not kicked on compared to last season when I thought he had some decent performances. Or were they all coming from the left? Or was it because he chipped in with a few goals?

Trequarista10

I hope and expect that he will be replaced by Amad next season. Elanga would benefit from playing week in week out at a lower level (either Champ or in a counter attacking bottom of the Prem type team), but I don't see the merit in loaning him unless it's simply to try and boost his sale price. I think eventually he will have a solid PL career at a mid table club because athleticism and work rare is a huge differential.

Sylar

I hope and expect that he will be replaced by Amad next season. Elanga would benefit from playing week in week out at a lower level (either Champ or in a counter attacking bottom of the Prem type team), but I don't see the merit in loaning him unless it's simply to try and boost his sale price. I think eventually he will have a solid PL career at a mid table club because athleticism and work rare is a huge differential.
A loan can still be beneficial at his age. Hes still only 20 and a year away playing consistently would do him a world of good.

It would also mean less pressure when hes trying things, which can build confidence.
I dont think it will happen in January because we are light in options especially if Ronaldo goes and we dont bring in anybody else.
However if we somehow get a short term striker, I could see the argument for Garnacho being the one to take his 'place' and Elanga getting a loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.