4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Why are people so obsessed with the idea of him as a right back. He’s shown literally zero that suggests he’d be good at right back.
He had a brief cameo as RWB at the end of last season, which is quite decent.

Robindinho

How you watch Iqbal and can see that he has 'it'. Elanga does not...

Playing this style just makes him stand out (not in a good way). Too limited technically.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh I just don't see it with him. He's at best a useful, energetic squad player but if it was me I'd try and cash in for £10 - £15 million like Liverpool have done with some of their secondary youth players.

dablem_10

i dont see any abilities except ones which can have any random lower league winger. Wasnt he n9 when he stepped up onto scene?

El Jefe

In an ideal world he'd be in the u23s or on loan. I hope its the latter this coming season and we're able to buy a forward.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
IMO he's working his way backwards on this tour and is just looking so off the pace. Doesn't even have the work advantage really. Chong has done more on and off the ball, pellistri/Hannibal are more talented ... I don't see him getting much time at all, though we don't have much depth so might play by default

Bwuk

I’d be moving him on. Just don’t see it whatsoever.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Same as Garner for me.

Players who got the hype after looking good for the u23s, but, to me, never really impressed. They lack that ability to perform when pressed.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn't really seem that involved today.

Trequarista10

Same as Garner for me.

Players who got the hype after looking good for the u23s, but, to me, never really impressed. They lack that ability to perform when pressed.
Weird comparison. Garner "hype" is almost entirety a result of doing very well in the Championship, Elanga wasn't necessarily even seen as a huge prospect at youth level but physically could cope with first team football and worked hard, I don't think anyone particular hypes him beyond being a decent young backup.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Weird comparison. Garner "hype" is almost entirety a result of doing very well in the Championship, Elanga wasn't necessarily even seen as a huge prospect at youth level but physically could cope with first team football and worked hard, I don't think anyone particular hypes him beyond being a decent young backup.
Garner was hyped before his loan. Elanga definitely got similar hype, and I think he'd do well in the championship, too. They're both championship/lower pl quality. Same with Savage now, though he hasn't stood out in the youth teams for me like Garner and Elanga did.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Garner was hyped before his loan. Elanga definitely got similar hype, and I think he'd do well in the championship, too. They're both championship/lower pl quality. Same with Savage now, though he hasn't stood out in the youth teams for me like Garner and Elanga did.
Still not true that his «hype» is based on performance for U23. Garner was «hyped» well before that and was considered a huge talent already at 16. Started training regular with the first team at the same time as Greenwood in 2018, and been «hyped» consistently ever since by the likes of Mourinho, Fred, Matic, Mata and Bruno.

If someone was hyped due to performing for the U23 it was probably Galbraith (not within the club, but by online fans).

Fred a few years ago:

Speaking to Trivela, the Brazilian said: "All are very good - they are not in this profession for nothing - but the player who impresses me most is Jimmy Garner.

"Not just because he is in the same position as me, but because he is a player who has an impressive vision of the game, and he has a huge future for United.

"In addition to his impressive game vision, he always plays with his head up, has an impressive shot and is an incredible passer. He is a player that I admire a lot."

——————

“I think we know some of them already. Jimmy Garner, I think is a really good player, I really like him and the way he kicks the ball. He’s really aggressive off the ball too.” Bruno said in an exclusive Q&A with the club website.

——————

Etc.

So while some young talents are hyped up by an online fan base other appear to have a high standing within the club. Not only based on when they start featuring regularly with the first team, but also how highly their co-workers rate them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d sell him the moment I got a 5+ million offer.

In Rainbows

Still not true that his «hype» is based on performance for U23. Garner was «hyped» well before that and was considered a huge talent already at 16. Started training regular with the first team at the same time as Greenwood in 2018, and been «hyped» consistently ever since by the likes of Mourinho, Fred, Matic, Mata and Bruno.

If someone was hyped due to performing for the U23 it was probably Galbraith (not within the club, but by online fans).
Yeah, Garner has always been hyped up. He's hyped up in comparison to all of our previous defensive midfield type talents. Out of all them (Pearson, Tunnicliffe, Savage, etc...), Garner has been the most promising. That's because he had the most tools, and his technical ability was the best out of them.

It's similar to Laird when comparing our past rb talents in the last decade. I think contextualizing our talents within our recent academy history, and within their peers at international level, is the best way we have to judge them prior to them playing first team football. It's probably a little easier to do this evaluation with strikers because their available stats are more meaningful than what a midfielder has. Hence why we were more confident in Greenwood.

Elanga was a standout at youth level, but was not a standout when contextualizing his age (I know development is not linear, but it's a factor I like to take into account), our recent historical attacking products, and his overall technical ability. So the hype for Garner was never the same as Elanga.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Fred a few years ago:

Speaking to Trivela, the Brazilian said: "All are very good - they are not in this profession for nothing - but the player who impresses me most is Jimmy Garner.

"Not just because he is in the same position as me, but because he is a player who has an impressive vision of the game, and he has a huge future for United.

"In addition to his impressive game vision, he always plays with his head up, has an impressive shot and is an incredible passer. He is a player that I admire a lot."

——————

“I think we know some of them already. Jimmy Garner, I think is a really good player, I really like him and the way he kicks the ball. He’s really aggressive off the ball too.” Bruno said in an exclusive Q&A with the club website.

——————

Etc.

So while some young talents are hyped up by an online fan base other appear to have a high standing within the club. Not only based on when they start featuring regularly with the first team, but also how highly their co-workers rate them.
Of course he's been hyped throughout his time here. I'm merely talking about being hyped in terms of being ready for first team football by fans. Like some think with Savage right now.

And the hype for Galbraith came from his Doncaster and Northern Ireland performances. No one talked about him as a promising talent here. Personally, I was a fan of his in the u18s despite having to fill in at rb a few times there. Saw some games at u16 level for N.Ireland, too, after he impressed me here (which were before we signed him) and he was the best player in that little tournament alongside Billy Gilmour.

Trequarista10

Garner was rated before his loan, which us normal for someone doing well in the academy, he wasn't particularly hyped, like say with Garnacho, Januzaj, Greenwood, Pereira, Gomes, Morrison. He's arguably still not even hyped, it's pretty 50:50 between people who think he's ready for a chance at being a backup/rotation with the first team, and people who think he's got no future at this level/should have been reloaned or sold even. Its just a weird, unnecessarily disparaging post. We know that Garner is at minimum a top Championship player as he has already done it at that level, how much more he progresses is down to his application and how much he can improve, as with any 21 year old CM.

What works in his favour is the fact we have a few first team CMs who are below the standard we aspire to, so there's a clear pathway for him, it'll be up to him to take his opportunities. It's not like he has to displace Scholes, Keane, Butt and Veron. Elanga had a pathway open up for him last season due to injury, form, outgoings and police investigations and has probably earnt himself a couple of seasons of being a squad/rotation player cos he took those chances. Probably would benefit from a loan but at the moment is ahead of the other kids and we're short in numbers so will probably be in the first team this season, start the cup comps, and look for loan next summer if we bring in some new signings.

Chief123

For all his efforts he really is limited in what he offers. Raw pace is his whole game.

mctrials23

Not technically good enough for the role he will be asked to play in EtHs United at the moment. Much more suited to Ole-ball where kicking and running were more important than technical quality.

GMoore23

Not knocking the kid but he really shouldn't be starting for us currently. Swap Sancho for him and we have 2 goals in the first half.

SAFMUTD

Has all the physical attributes but the talent and technique are lacking.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I think as our game evolves he may start finding things difficult. Maybe potential as a striker with his pressing and pace? I’m hoping one of the youth wingers makes a step up, we need a bit of trickery out there…

Drainy

Hmm weird take. He did a good job that first half imo.
If good job is ran about, won some fouls and gave the ball away.

He needs to hone his game at a less pressurised club where he'll be afforded more space and continue his development. We need more quality back up this season.

AndySmith1990

Should be loaned or sold really. It's going to be another case of a young lad getting a chance simply because the squad depth is weak, rather than him being good enough

BarstoolProphet

Hmm weird take. He did a good job that first half imo.
His touch this first half was Lukaku-esque. Drew a couple of fouls from good runs but he was far from being good in the first half. He and Bruno kept ruining all of the attacks.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If good job is ran about, won some fouls and gave the ball away.

He needs to hone his game at a less pressurised club where he'll be afforded more space and continue his development. We need more quality back up this season.
Nah he had a good half.

Not good enough to start for us at the moment though.

Leonzo1

Much rather we play him as an occasional backup CF than out wide. Hoping to see Pellistri in the second half instead of him. I think he has A bright future with us especially with the way ETH sets up his team so far.

Malone_Post

He’s very clearly just not good enough. He works hard and has great pace but he just doesn’t have that technical level needed. I don’t know why we spend so much time on players pretending like they might end up good enough when all the evidence in front of us tells us they’re clearly not. If he was at Liverpool he would have been sold for £20 odd mil to a championship/bottom half PL team. And if we was at City/Chelsea he wouldn’t have made it anywhere near to being a member of the first team squad.

The fact he’s our first option off the bench when one of our main attackers (who aren’t exactly top level players themselves) need replacing is a sad indictment of the level this squad is at.

Based Adnan

Needs a loan. Has the potential to develop into a good squad player for us but not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.