4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwooyo

Elanga is so bad. I dont think anyone has actually explained to him exactly how bad he is. Most people are down playing it...saying he is young, blah blah blah.

Honestly, Elanga has foundational deficiencies in his game that may not even be fixable no matter how much coaching he gets. He has a terrible first touch, he cant dribble, he cant pass, he cant link up play and his decision making is so bad. All the crucial aspects of his game, he is so bad at.

By bad, I mean championship levels of bad....somebody needs to stop cuddling him and tell him the truth such that he can actually begin working on the things he can fix. Right now, him getting game time at manutd is deceptive to him becoz he thinks he is close to the finished product. Guys, he is sooooo bad...he needs counselling

CloneMC16

He's not good enough. Worrying that he's our first attacker off the bench.

Trequarista10

Most people would likely agree Elanga isn't good enough for a prominent squad role and we need an addition like Antony. Differences of opinion whether he should be loaned, sold or kept. The more pertinent question for now though must surely be if any of Diallo, Chong or Pellestri should move ahead of him in the pecking order. Thoughts?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Only got his break because of Greenwood's absence. Eye test comparison between them makes it clear Elanga's not as good. Greenwood was a dead cert to be a top player. Elanga doesn't even look like he has some basics down.

marc1_007

People need to stop saying things like this. Any failings of Ten Hag remain to be seen, and he is not the most accomplished manager we have hired post Fergie. All this assumption that we will have no managerial failings because we hired the people’s choice is premature.

Let him prove that he is as good as we want/hope him to be.
Ten Hag is definitely unproven in the premier league, but what is undeniable is the fact that his style of football is highly technical and the players who are lacking in the basic technical skills will get found out very quickly and replaced, and if it does not happen this season, it will next season

OpenIntrovert

People are overreacting to his performance.

Elanga is a striker playing as a RW. You can see from his movement off the ball that he is very good at getting into attacking positions and his dribbling is good. Problem is that as a winger, you need to be more aware of the players taking up attacking positions which Elanga tends to make wrong decisions. It was also a tough game with him being tightly marked. He will certainly be a fine player for us in time, give the guy a break from your endless moaning.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I wish Elanga was better because he seems a nice kid. But he just looks a level below. Saw a lot of the ball but never felt it'd ever go anywhere. Hasn't looked at it in preseason.

saik

Pellistri looked like he has a good pass on him, and looked more lively than Elanga. He should be ahead of Elanga in the pecking order I think.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ten Hag is definitely unproven in the premier league, but what is undeniable is the fact that his style of football is highly technical and the players who are lacking in the basic technical skills will get found out very quickly and replaced, and if it does not happen this season, it will next season
He’s not the first manager we’ve had who likes technical football. It also remains to see whether he will even stick to that, or abandon it by November after 3 defeats on the spin and start doing some other shit. He could be found out before any of his players are.

I’m hopeful, but on the whole, this forum is setting itself up for huge disappointment the way he has been spoken of on here. We haven’t appointed Guardiola. We may look back in 5 years and see that we actually have appointed Guardiola - but he has a huge job on his hands and contrary to the insinuation, has at least as much to prove as the players he has.

OpenIntrovert

His movement was extremely good today. Gave Atletico a lot of problems, and they basically had to resort to just hacking him down time and time again.

Unfortunately what he actually did with the ball was poor.
Yes, he was too over enthusiastic with the ball. He is still a young player and with more time, his decision making will mature.

TsuWave

we really don't have anything better in the academy?

he seems like a good kid, he's just not good enough

flappyjay

I wish Elanga was better because he seems a nice kid. But he just looks a level below. Saw a lot of the ball but never felt it'd ever go anywhere. Hasn't looked at it in preseason.
Reminds me of dvb seems a nice bloke too, wish he was good for us.

marc1_007

He’s not the first manager we’ve had who likes technical football. It also remains to see whether he will even stick to that, or abandon it by November after 3 defeats on the spin and start doing some other shit. He could be found out before any of his players are.

I’m hopeful, but on the whole, this forum is setting itself up for huge disappointment the way he has been spoken of on here. We haven’t appointed Guardiola. We may look back in 5 years and see that we actually have appointed Guardiola - but he has a huge job on his hands and contrary to the insinuation, has at least as much to prove as the players he has.
Its been only Van Gaal that we had who was a technical coach and like he said, the club did not give him the first choice players he wanted but instead the fifth and sixth choices so it was obvious, he was not going to be successful, Ragnick only had six months in the middle of the season so he could hardly input his philosophy fully.
Ten Hag is definitely not Guardiola, nobody is, but he has a decent CV in the champions league, I'm not too bothered about what he did in the Eredivisie but he still won it multiple times, which is the least you can ask for and I highly doubt he will abandon his whole philosophy because I am sure he will get the time he desires from the club, as I'm sure everyone knows that this is not a one year rebuild. After last season, I am not expecting anything magical, like top four but fifth will definitely be an improvement and if he gets top four, then that will definitely be an over-achievement, but so long as he can implement his philosophy and give us a meaningful style of play, then for me that will be better than anything we've had since SAF and then he can get rid of the players that do not suit his style of play and bring in the players who do

Valencia Shin Crosses

Elanga is a striker playing as a RW. You can see from his movement off the ball that he is very good at getting into attacking positions and his dribbling is good. Problem is that as a winger, you need to be more aware of the players taking up attacking positions which Elanga tends to make wrong decisions. It was also a tough game with him being tightly marked. He will certainly be a fine player for us in time, give the guy a break from your endless moaning.
Eh just because a player is young and from our academy doesn’t mean they should get endless chances and opportunity. Elanga has had a fair bit of game time by this point and it’s obvious he lacks certain abilities that don’t just come with time, and he doesn’t do any thing so well that it makes up for what he’s bad at.

Ekeke

A couple of good runs that were seen off by Atletico fouling as they knew they were in danger. Plenty of improving to do but thought he was no worse than Rashford, with Martial looking dangerous and better than both

userman

I don't think he's ready to have such a central role that he has in our squad at the moment, effectively being the 1st sub/reservere for our preferred options. However I do like him and I see no rush in getting rid of him as other posters seemingly want.
He seems to have a personality with a really good mentality, desire and detemination to succeed and as a player he has a great work rate and he's obviously talented, if not he wouldn't have been here - mix those ingredients together and we have a player with great potential for the future.

For me he's an upgrade and a "successor" of the Daniel James and Lingard types, that is nice to have as backups in the squad, but with a higher ceiling than both of them. He's 20 years old - give him time to develop and prosper as a backup/squad option for League Cup, Europa League and early Fa Cup rounds matches and I do think we can reap the rewards of hanging on to him in the future.

We desperatily need a new RW though!
(IMO Elanga is much better at LW than RW anyways..)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Has Elanga ever played striker? He's a winger who doesn't have good dribbling. He doesn't have any sort of passing qualities. He doesn't have a good shot on him. He's a winger who has normal work rate (nothing crazy here), good pace (not exceptional pace), and.... That's it. He doesn't have any actual technical qualities. You can make it as a professional footballer with what he has, maybe he'll be a premier league level footballer when he reaches his potential, but he certainly isn't good enough to do well in the Prem at this point, and I am pretty much 100% confident that he'll never be. Good enough or anywhere close to good enough for Man United.

Nothing against him, he's just a bit shit though if I'm being 100% honest with no talent that can actually be developed to a high level.

Mickson

Has Elanga ever played striker? He's a winger who doesn't have good dribbling. He doesn't have any sort of passing qualities. He doesn't have a good shot on him. He's a winger who has normal work rate (nothing crazy here), good pace (not exceptional pace), and.... That's it. He doesn't have any actual technical qualities. You can make it as a professional footballer with what he has, maybe he'll be a premier league level footballer when he reaches his potential, but he certainly isn't good enough to do well in the Prem at this point, and I am pretty much 100% confident that he'll never be. Good enough or anywhere close to good enough for Man United.

Nothing against him, he's just a bit shit though if I'm being 100% honest with no talent that can actually be developed to a high level.
I don't agree with that. He has exceptional pace and his shooting is often good, especially the trademark Martial shot when cutting in from his left. He's a lot better as a LW than a RW as well. Pellistri should play RW instead though.

ThanksBoss26

Rangnick didn’t have too many other options and maybe through necessity Elanga was over promoted before he was ready. He still isn’t and would benefit from a loan. Certainly nowhere near good enough at this stage to be a first choice change for any of the positions in the front three.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's not very good, is he?

We really need another attacker regardless if Ronaldo stays or not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A couple of good runs that were seen off by Atletico fouling as they knew they were in danger. Plenty of improving to do but thought he was no worse than Rashford, with Martial looking dangerous and better than both
Martial who made a mess of being put clean through by a defensive howler and didn’t get a single shot on target? Good one. Elanga was shite but Rashford was the pick of a fairly unimpressive bunch. He at least managed to get a few shots off at goal.

Robindinho

Just not good enough unfortunately. Can't be having him as our backup winger.

I understood Rangnick picking him - key factors in his football being pace and running in behind (which suits him), but I'd have thought Ten Hag would have liked the higher level technically and given more of a chance to Pellistri/Amad instead.

lex talionis

After a bright start for us, Elanga has stagnated, if not regressed. A loan would do him wonders.

Posh Red

Martial who made a mess of being put clean through by a defensive howler and didn’t get a single shot on target? Good one. Elanga was shite but Rashford was the pick of a fairly unimpressive bunch. He at least managed to get a few shots off at goal.
I expect Martial will be far more likely to feature regularly under the new manager than Elanga when everyone is fit. It wasn’t this best game today, but his technical ability is on another level. Elanga has a poor first touch, and doesn’t suit the play style of the new manager at all.

city-puma

Most people would likely agree Elanga isn't good enough for a prominent squad role and we need an addition like Antony. Differences of opinion whether he should be loaned, sold or kept. The more pertinent question for now though must surely be if any of Diallo, Chong or Pellestri should move ahead of him in the pecking order. Thoughts?
Most? Don’t be fooled by reading so many negative opinions here to think most think him technically poor. It’s very common many sounding the loudest do not know what they are talking about.

In Rainbows

Its been only Van Gaal that we had who was a technical coach and like he said, the club did not give him the first choice players he wanted but instead the fifth and sixth choices so it was obvious, he was not going to be successful, Rangnick only had six months in the middle of the season so he could hardly input his philosophy fully.
Ten Hag is definitely not Guardiola, nobody is, but he has a decent CV in the champions league, I'm not too bothered about what he did in the Eredivisie but he still won it multiple times, which is the least you can ask for and I highly doubt he will abandon his whole philosophy because I am sure he will get the time he desires from the club, as I'm sure everyone knows that this is not a one year rebuild. After last season, I am not expecting anything magical, like top four but fifth will definitely be an improvement and if he gets top four, then that will definitely be an over-achievement, but so long as he can implement his philosophy and give us a meaningful style of play, then for me that will be better than anything we've had since SAF and then he can get rid of the players that do not suit his style of play and bring in the players who do
That and Van Gaal was far more conservative in his tactics. Even though they both favored possession, the way they go about attacking is completely different. The way they play off the ball is completely different. Van Gaal was seen as a has been when United got him. Ahead of his time in the 90s, but behind the times when Pep and Klopp arrived.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I expect Martial will be far more likely to feature regularly under the new manager than Elanga when everyone is fit. It wasn’t this best game today, but his technical ability is on another level. Elanga has a poor first touch, and doesn’t suit the play style of the new manager at all.
100% I’m just disagreeing with the notion that Martial was our best forward against Atletico. He wasn’t.

Lights Out

All I keep thinking is how bad are Pellistri & Amad if this kid keeps getting minutes over them?

Aeryis

Please sell him.

Don't hang onto him for so long like McTominay.
Exactly this. Get rid as soon as possible before he turns into another Mctominay where he's still getting regular game time as a 26 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.